Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Is Anyone Really That Suprised?

I have maybe had a bit too long to think about out transfer dealings yesterday on my two hour commute but I am going to put them down anyway.

Firstly is anyone really that surprised about the loans?  Doncaster spoke at length about loans in his EDP column last week, how many we could have, different types, how many can play, etc etc.  It was all there telling us that loans were going to be the way to go.

Personally I have mixed feelings about it.  Part of me is happy at not buying journeyman players for more than they are worth but I’m sure everyone was hoping for at least one permanent signing other than Matty Patty.  We let go so many, I must admit I did expect more coming in.

Roeders loans could prove to be inspired and essentially they are here for squad cover for a team which has been performing and getting good results lately.  I can’t see they are adding too much completion for places though considering we had 3 loan signing already that are becoming permanent fixtures in the side.  That means only 2 of the 4 yesterday are realistically pushing for a place in the squad.  2 of them have to miss out, that’s the rules and I don’t see that any of the four yesterday are direct competition for any of our current loans.  It means if needed in the event of injuries and suspensions they might not be able to play depending on who those injuries and suspensions apply to.

I would like to hope that at least 2 of our 7 loans have the possibility of becoming permanent squad members because Roeder has left himself with a lot of work to come the summer.  We will lose the 7 loan players come the end of the season, plus Dublin and possibly Huckerby.  Lappin looks to be well out of favour and Ryan Jarvis will most likely not have his contract renewed.  Potentially we could be losing 10 or more players from our squad come May and that is a hell of a lot of players to sign to fill the squad up, let alone improve the team.

The loans also gives some insight into our own young players at the club. The positions played by the loans we have brought in raise questions as to whether Roeder thinks the likes of Cave-Brown, Spillane and others are even close to getting in the side let alone going on to become established players for us.

One final point is the lack of a striker.  With Huckerby seemingly hampered with injury and not being preferred in that role by Roeder it leaves us with Evans, Dublin, Cureton and Martin.  To me we have no back up for Dublin and we cannot expect him to play 90 minutes in all the games remaining this season.  So we are left with Evans who is currently doing the business, Cureton who has looked out of sorts for months and Chris Martin who’s promise from last season seems to have all but disappeared.  Another striker yesterday would have been nice to say the least.

I am prepared to trust Glenn Roeder knows what he is doing.  I think the fantastic job he has done so far allows him plenty of faith.  We are unbeaten in 10 and 5 points clear of the drop.  When he took over we looked as good as down and I remember looking at the fixture.  I am under whelmed by the loans, I must admit but if Glenn can get a couple of these players in full time later plus build a reputation of Norwich being a good place for top clubs to send there young players then it must be a good thing I suppose. 

I agree with you Saint.  Another striker would have been good but take the yellow & green tinted specs off for a minute & you realise we are not really attractive to "big" names.  I think Glenn has pulled some some strings to get in players from prem sides so fair play to him. 

[quote user="scrumpycanary"]I agree with you Saint.  Another striker would have been good but take the yellow & green tinted specs off for a minute & you realise we are not really attractive to "big" names.  I think Glenn has pulled some some strings to get in players from prem sides so fair play to him. [/quote]

I think he worked with in a very very small budget, remember we bought 1 player we already had on loan, got Evans till the end of the season and 3 of the 4 new loans could go back in a month and that''s the truth of it.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST