Sign in to follow this  
The Judge

The Summer ?

Well the transfer window has now closed and we have secured the services of 4 new young loanees and exended Ched Evans loan until the end of the season. I am not dissappointed with these young players that we have bought in as they will provide competition for places, cover for injuries and suspensions, and who knows we might be able to tempt one of them to sign permantly in the summer. We are all but safe, and with these loanees should secure our championship survival, which taking into to consideration our position in November is a fantastic achieve by Glenn and the players. January prices are ridiciously over inflated (in a world where all average players are over valued all the time) and the fact that only a few players are available just pushes the prices higher and higher - the power is with the selling club, agents and players. 

Pressumably those of you who are now saying we will rebuild and spend in the summer are the same people who said "judge the board at the end of the january transfer window". I''m sure Doomcaster and Mumbles will be saying the same as season ticket renewals loom ever closer - the same people that were saying all of the money from the sales of Earnie, Etuhu, Ashton, Green, McKenzie etc etc would be put in to the managers transfer kitty. Do you trust and believe these people ?

What concerns me is that we are all now assuming there will be money to spend in the summer - to me this is a very big assumption if the same board is in place. How many times over the past 4 seasons have all of us hoped for signs of ambition only to be let down every single time.

What GR has done in this transfer window is absolutely right IF, and ONLY if we have the money to strengthen in the summer - but forgive me about being sceptical on this as history would suggest we will be let down again.

I will renew my season ticket, in hope that we do have money to spend and strenghten, as this is my club, my team, and without hope you might as well not bother. But unlike others i won''t take this as a "given" as I have been let down by the incompetence of our board time and time again. Who knows how much money we will have to spend ? I don''t, you don''t, all I know that it is relatively easy to manipulate and move money around within an organisation to make the accounts look different to what they are. History and comments from our board make me feel there will be less than we want and need to push forward. A pessimistc view I know but I believe more realistic than those of you who are already banking on the fact there will be a magical pot of cash for GR to spend in the summer.

What will make me optimistic for the future of our club, is the news of new investment in the club, a shake up at board level with new ambitious people with a real determination and desire to push for promotion - not people that spend on infrastructure and off field activities and HOPE the team produces. Thats the difference, we as fans hope for success, those on the board have the power to deliver it - if they can''t they must (as Richard Balls and numerous others, including myself) move aside and let people who can take over.

Fantastic post, especially this bit:

[quote user="The Judge"]

What concerns me is that we are all now assuming there will be money to spend in the summer - to me this is a very big assumption if the same board is in place. How many times over the past 4 seasons have all of us hoped for signs of ambition only to be let down every single time.

What GR has done in this transfer window is absolutely right IF, and ONLY if we have the money to strengthen in the summer - but forgive me about being sceptical on this as history would suggest we will be let down again.

[/quote]

I am delighted we haven''t wasted money on the sort of deadbeats we''ve signed since relegation. But if we want to keep hold of Roeder, he must be given cash to spend in the summer.

I think what it boils down to is: if Glenn''s happy, I''m happy. I wonder if he is.

[quote]

What concerns me is that we are all now assuming there will be money

to spend in the summer - to me this is a very big assumption if the

same board is in place. How many times over the past 4 seasons have all

of us hoped for signs of ambition only to be let down every single

time.

What GR has done in this transfer window is absolutely right IF,

and ONLY if we have the money to strengthen in the summer - but forgive

me about being sceptical on this as history would suggest we will be

let down again.[/quote]

Suggestions have been made in the past on the myfootballwriter site that Peter Grant didn''t spend all the money he had available to him, and that this was one of the failings of his time here.  Glenn Roeder certainly can''t have spent all the money available to him so far, but to be fair he hasn''t had to, as he has got the players that are capable at this level fit and playing again.  I believe that in order for this board to push the boat out, they need to feel confident in their manager.  We have been undefeated in 10 games.  If we continue the good form for the rest of the season, we''ll push up to a mid-table or even 8th-10th position by the end of the season.  I think you will then see the same confidence and backing that was given to Worthington during our promotion season re-emerge, backed also with the Turners'' cash - I wouldn''t be surprised if they were footing the bill for most of the loans either - football''s an expensive business.

[quote user="The Judge"]

[/quote]

You''re dead right.

The one big difference I see this summer though is Roeder. If Grant did have money to spend last year, then why could he not spend it? Was there a lack of players we wanted? I doubt it.

In my opinion, the reason Grant didn''t buy big was because he couldn''t attract the players. Players didn''t want to come and play for him, and I don''t think Roeder would have the same problem.

I hope I''m right, although I guess only time will tell.

Sorry Blah agree with what you are saying and really hope you are right - but I don''t share your optimism.

The money we have made on players in the past has been used for other purposes such as paying installments on the outstanding loans for off field investments, office reburbishments, roads etc - these debts still exist and need to be serviced. We will also be getting less in season ticket revenues next year which will have to be budgeted for - and where will the money for that come from ? Personally I don''t agree with the season ticket pricing policy as this to me gives a sign of little or no ambition - appreciate the club wants the ground full - but who is to say it wouldn''t still have been full if the prices all around the ground when up alittle. If they stated the money was going to be used to strengthen the squad then i''m sure people would be willing to renew regardless.

I''m also very sceptical regarding the Turners. Surely by now they would have invested significantly if they were going to. Basically they have both got themseleves a place on the board for the amount of interest they would have got on their £2m if they had invested it elsewhere. They have given a £2m LOAN. Working in the financial services industry I know their business will have been severely effected by the sub prime loan market collapse. I hope I''m wrong but I don''t see them as the financial saviours of our club going forward. 

Life is full of optimists and pessimists, however as stated in my original post - history with our board would show i''m a realist.

I agree with you to a point about season tickets Judge - If the tickets went up by 10 or 15%, people would complain, 10% wouldn''t renew, those people would become casuals, and other casuals who haven''t been able to go to sell-outs would be able to buy tickets, which might bring in more money as casuals pay more - but would it be a drop in the ocean ?  I''d imagine people with spreadsheets have looked at the risks and decided that the current pricing model is the most efficient.[quote]The money we have made on players in the past has been used for other

purposes such as paying installments on the outstanding loans for off

field investments, office reburbishments, roads etc[/quote]Smith & Jones''s legacy to NCFC will be independence of TV money - it''s a drug to clubs, most of them can''t function without it, and will do anything to get it.  They won''t be able to create total independence, but if the TV money bubble burst, whoever takes the club on wouldn''t have to fit the bill for everything.  Building independence requires an infrastructure, which takes time and money to create.  As I''ve said elsewhere, I''d rather be us than Crystal Palace - if football stops being fashionable, if the TV money dries up, if Simon Jordan bores of his toy and flounces out (and I wouldn''t put it past him), then Palace would be up a creek without a paddle, with massive debts and a 1950s stadium owned by the council if I recall correctly.  They would be where we were with Chase, their only asset is the players, they would have to sell the players to survive.  Now - I''d like my son to have a team to support when he''s old enough, and I''d like that team not to be Arsenal (don''t tell the wife), so I''m against "putting it all on red" just to get to the Premiership to encourage further dependence on TV money.Speaking of legacy, Smith and Jones only have another 3 or 4 years before they pass on the baton, as written into the clubs constitution.  I''d like to think that they would want to go out with a bang, and with GR in charge, they have the right man to mount a Premiership challenge - we have championship form in what has to be the most evenly balanced league in the world, without buying players in.  All they need to do is back him in the summer.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Fantastic post, especially this bit:

[quote user="The Judge"]

[/quote]

I am delighted we haven''t wasted money on the sort of deadbeats we''ve signed since relegation. But if we want to keep hold of Roeder, he must be given cash to spend in the summer.

I think what it boils down to is: if Glenn''s happy, I''m happy. I wonder if he is.

[/quote]I disagree. This is double standards at its worse! "What concerns me is that we are all now assuming there will be money to spend in the summer"If that is a concern and an assumption too far then you would have to admit that assuming that there is no money to spend would also be a concerning assumption!Apart from anything else the club will have a better idea of what to give to Roeder come the summer because we will have passed the financial year ending and have a better idea of overall costs etc.I also think it is fair to believe that he will be given money - it is just not right to start making some OTT assumptions like he will be getting £3-4million!

How many years have heard this same old story. "We are saving the money to spend in the summer".

Experience should have told you

a. We don''t have much money

b. We won''t spend much even if we had a few quid.

c. Whatever we do spend will be less than we make on sales.

What does it take for you lot to see the reality of the situation.

remember norwich spent a few bit last summer compared to most teams in the league, and if you get rid of relegated prem 3 and wba who sold 30m worth talent you prob did spend the most money

if norwich dont have money, you maybe like wolves were last summer, who stripped the squad bare and basically assebled a new squad. this could be good and bad! you may get more youth and unexperienced players in

you will see the youth try 100% and you dont mind if they lose as long you can see effort. although bad start would mean long season with maybe relegation!

with wolves we had poor squad till december till got few more guys in at start we had likes clapham, craig davies, jemal johnson knocking about

this is obviously if norwich have no money

i think if they do or they dont its going to be one long and busy summer for norwich

and keep the faith in your manager

My view on the loanees are these:1) Glenn has got in cover for every position and these players are hungry to play.2) Glenn has got young players who are good enough, which means they can show our youngsters what they are supposed to be doing. It is a good way to cure the big fish/small pond mentatily our acadamy seems to have had recently, where Martin/Jarvis/Crow/Hayes think they have made it earlier than is neccesary to play at our level, because they are the best player in the youth set up.3) We can''t actually lose if they don''t turn out as good as we think. By the same token we can''t win either.4) Glenn has kept the "powder dry" in terms of buying players, untill the summer.  The summer window is much more of a buyers market, as you get amonst other things, relegation fire sales.  (Paterson wont be £5m in the summer if scunthorpe go down for example). This depends if you believe in the existence of the powder of course.This is the most important one IMO:5) Glenn will build up a reputation for Norwich (and enhance his own) as being a good place to send your youngsters on loan.  This will be invalueble!  It will enable us to be in a good position for season long loans nexty season.  I doubt anyone would object if we ended up with loans like Larsson and Bentdner that got brum up.

What makes you think this club will spend in the summer ? for christs sake when we got promoted to the Prem we went out and bought the likes of Simon Charlton and the Doc and that was with the multi millions we had just come into .Some of you will never learn .

[quote user="7rew"]My view on the loanees are these:

1) Glenn has got in cover for every position and these players are hungry to play.

2) Glenn has got young players who are good enough, which means they can show our youngsters what they are supposed to be doing. It is a good way to cure the big fish/small pond mentatily our acadamy seems to have had recently, where Martin/Jarvis/Crow/Hayes think they have made it earlier than is neccesary to play at our level, because they are the best player in the youth set up.

3) We can''t actually lose if they don''t turn out as good as we think. By the same token we can''t win either.

4) Glenn has kept the "powder dry" in terms of buying players, untill the summer.  The summer window is much more of a buyers market, as you get amonst other things, relegation fire sales.  (Paterson wont be £5m in the summer if scunthorpe go down for example). This depends if you believe in the existence of the powder of course.

This is the most important one IMO:
5) Glenn will build up a reputation for Norwich (and enhance his own) as being a good place to send your youngsters on loan.  This will be invalueble!  It will enable us to be in a good position for season long loans nexty season.  I doubt anyone would object if we ended up with loans like Larsson and Bentdner that got brum up.

[/quote]

agree most of it except from 3.

if they dont perform how about relegation????

you seem to forget your 5pts off and playing that team saturday, if you for some reason lose (Dont personally think you will) then you will be 2pts of pne

so indeed there is something to lose

Everything you wanted to know about the January Transfer window summed up in 1 sentence by Glenn Roeder.  He said it about contracts earlier in the year, but I believe it also applies to the window."Contract talks couldn''t be further from our thoughts at the moment.

Everything in life is timing and it is not the right time."

Well if you go over to my footballwriter.com you''ll see Roeder saying how he couldn''t get either of his permenant signings, that we offered what Brum wanted for Taylor, and that he''s kept that money for the summer to spend there, and thinks there might even be more available.

You are spot on Judge. The long term future of our FOOTBALL team is darker than ever.

If the future is rebuilding season after season with half a team of loan player where is the consistency? where is a squad gelling together to improve?

I think its time for the board to hang out the for sale sign.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="The Drop"]What makes you think this club will spend in the summer ? for christs sake when we got promoted to the Prem we went out and bought the likes of Simon Charlton and the Doc and that was with the multi millions we had just come into .Some of you will never learn .[/quote]No - some of YOU never learn!That year promotion was quoted to be worth £20million - quoted! Most of that is Sky money. Now if you know what that entails you would know that you don''t get £20million up front.I am not defending our performances in the premiership but we did end up a couple of points off safety - and effectively one goal in any of the drawn games we played. The fact of the matter is - to have finnished comfortably we needed another one or two £3million players and we just couldn''t do that with the lack of depth in the squad.Its been more disappointing since relegation considering we pretty much re-couped all of the money outlayed for the premiership campaign with the sale of Ashton alone. However there are other costs to take into consideration.As for the summer - its logical. Whatever Glen didn''t spend will be there for him so he WILL have money its a matter of how much not IF. Appart from anything else - this team has proven that under his guiding hand they are capable of putting on an attack on the play-offs. Our defence - never mind how shakey - has proven it can defend against multi-million pound strike forces - but as mentioned they occaisionaly are a bit shakey but then in my opinion all of the defences in this league have at least one moment in a game where they slip up - its up to the oppposition to capitalise.Again I will have to state how surprised I am that since promotion the amount of people that come on here as if in echo of the "Wet Shams" of this world stating "what we deserve" and "where we should be". This is football its life - you get the posh stuck up clubs like Chelsea who seem to suck all of the life and character out of their players, and you get clubs like Crewe who slog their guts out all of their life and seem to get little in return.To think that it is "our right" to have something is nothing but a joke. And people on here need to start getting a grip when it comes to the finance - if you don''t have a copy of the clubs anual report in front of you - what do you have to base your arguments on other than the "assumption" that you accuse others of? Its opinion.As for waiting until the summer - African nations cup will be over and all players returned, players with injuries such as Ramage may well be recovered. Players on our books such as Chadwick and Drury may have recovered and their recovery assessed as to whether we should keep them and if their injury is likely to re-uccur. The advantages with all of these loanees is that if they don''t turn out well they go back having cost us only wages - and at 18/19 I shouldn''t imagine that they would be as much as the likes of Hartson or any of the loans we had last season. They will also add more pace and energy to the side.The only way that we can loose is that they are shockingly bad - but one of the chaps is only here for a month. I really don''t see what the big deal is.If people had hopes of the play-offs I think the reality of it is that although the 9 points is achievable getting enough points to go beyond 10 or so teams is another matter. You would be hoping that all ten teams at some point drop more than 9 points for us to be able to leapfrog them all. If you also take into account we have played some of them twice already it begins to look like relying on all of these teams having a major blip. Its not impossible but it is unlikely.Now if I may - I would like to make an assumption? My assumption is that Roeder is no numpty, we are slowly creeping up the table on what so far has been a mixture of good leadership off the pitch and some astute loans and Patterson. Survival from relegation is now more than realistic. We have a slim outside chance of busting in on the play-offs and all on a reletively thin squad which supposedly lacks quality according to some (quality: Marshall, Otsemobor, Croft, Fotheringham, Russell, Dublin, Chedders, Ryan B).In my opinion these guys have deserved the right to show us what they have in them. If we finnish above mid-table and above the scum I will be happy this season. Anything above that and I will be impressed. Should we make the play-offs I will most likely pass out. We never have had money - before Delia or after.

I''ll spend more money on ale in the pub after the game tomorrow - than what the NCFC board will spend on the squad in the summer.

"Cheap Cheap" went the ickle Canary Board.....

Who reads Waghorn''s Warblings anyway?.....

Board needs a clearout.....and I know where they should start......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I''ll spend more money on ale in the pub after the game tomorrow - than what the NCFC board will spend on the squad in the summer.

[/quote]

Board apologists always have an answer Mello.

See how easily they are satisfied and yet with so little.

No wonder the board feel safe again, they had a fright but Glen''s miracle has made everything right with the world.

[quote user="BBFF"]
You are spot on Judge. The long term future of our FOOTBALL team is darker than ever.
[/quote]Darker than, say, in last October, when we were five points adrift at the bottom of the league with an assortment of overpaid, underperforming loafers and a manager who looked totally and utterly out of his depth?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

No wonder the board feel safe again, they had a fright but Glen''s miracle has made everything right with the world.

[/quote]Ricardo my dear old girl, are you on the change of life or something ?  You do seem to be mightily depressed these days.10 games unbeaten, best away form in the league, and thats with only one permanent signing.Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ricardo my dear old girl, are you on the change of life or something ?  You do seem to be mightily depressed these days.

10 games unbeaten, best away form in the league, and thats with only one permanent signing.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
[/quote]

Went through that years ago Blah.

Its all Statins and Blood pressure tablets now. Can''t say this Forum is any help on that front though.

Yes, am mighty relieved with "Glen''s miracle" but I can''t help feeling it''s given a measure of relief to the board just as they were beginning to question their misguided "Prudence with Ambition" plan.

Forgive me if I get a bit ratty but time passes quicker with age and I''m beginning to wonder if I''ll ever see the big time again in this innings.

[quote]Forgive me if I get a bit ratty but time passes quicker with age and

I''m beginning to wonder if I''ll ever see the big time again in this

innings.[/quote]Not at all ricardo, I''m sure you''re good for a few more seasons - hope springs eternal and all that.  Next season will be the one, I can feel it in my bones.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BBFF"]

[/quote]
Darker than, say, in last October, when we were five points adrift at the bottom of the league with an assortment of overpaid, underperforming loafers and a manager who looked totally and utterly out of his depth?
[/quote]

Long term yes. Roeder came in and did what was asked of him. Now this is different, is the long term future of our club totally dependent on half a team of lone players, season after season rebuilding?

If this board cant find the money to give Roeder to invest "on the pitch"  I think they had better step aside and let someone else do it. Don''t worry if a club looks they are out there just look at other clubs, but the board have got to want to see our FOOTBALL club a success "on the pitch"

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BBFF"]

[/quote]Darker than, say, in last October, when we were five points adrift at the bottom of the league with an assortment of overpaid, underperforming loafers and a manager who looked totally and utterly out of his depth?[/quote]

Long term yes. Roeder came in and did what was asked of him. Now this is different, is the long term future of our club totally dependent on half a team of lone players, season after season rebuilding?

If this board cant find the money to give Roeder to invest "on the pitch"  I think they had better step aside and let someone else do it. Don''t worry if a club looks they are out there just look at other clubs, but the board have got to want to see our FOOTBALL club a success "on the pitch"

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]Roeder has said himself that he has never paid the asking price for a player in his managerial career. Maybe he is waiting until the summer when the transfer market is less inflated, players at other clubs are out of contract and thus available on a free (Otsemobor, for example) and there is more time to take stock? There is simply no evidence to support the claim that the board have not given him any money to spend; it''s pure conjecture. If we are relying on season-long loans and second-rate freebies in the summer, I will be the first one calling for the board to be held accountable. In the meantime, let''s be grateful that we''ve got a manager who relishes the challenge of making a proverbial silk purse from a sow''s ear!And is FOOTBALL in capital letters more important than normal football?

ONE OF THE MOST TELLING PHRASES IN THIS BLOG IS JUDGE''S COMMENT ABOUT THE COLLAPSE OF THE SUB PRIME MARKET.

THIS COULD WELL BE WHY THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANOTHER SUM PUMPED IN.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BBFF"]

[/quote]
Darker than, say, in last October, when we were five points adrift at the bottom of the league with an assortment of overpaid, underperforming loafers and a manager who looked totally and utterly out of his depth?
[/quote]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]
Roeder has said himself that he has never paid the asking price for a player in his managerial career. Maybe he is waiting until the summer when the transfer market is less inflated, players at other clubs are out of contract and thus available on a free (Otsemobor, for example) and there is more time to take stock? There is simply no evidence to support the claim that the board have not given him any money to spend; it''s pure conjecture. If we are relying on season-long loans and second-rate freebies in the summer, I will be the first one calling for the board to be held accountable. In the meantime, let''s be grateful that we''ve got a manager who relishes the challenge of making a proverbial silk purse from a sow''s ear!

And is FOOTBALL in capital letters more important than normal football?
[/quote]

FOOTBALL is always in capitals in case anyone forgets its the only thing we go to Carrow Rd for.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Is Roeder actually going to be ''long-term'' at this club?

Hopefully, he will be........He''s got something to prove to those clubs (and himself) who previously had him as manager and dispensed with his services for whatever reason.

He also wants to manage (again) at the highest level.......Maybe, when his work is done here? 

In the summer Glen WILL have to spend money to get a squad together, the 2 Million or so WAS there in January and that and hopefully more as Glen has said, will be available in the summer. Glen aint stupid, neither is the board i believe.

Judging by Gibbs'' comments about being loaned out next season, if he''s a success now, he''ll be kept on, as will Bertrand with Cashly and Bridge shutting him out. Camara will leave. Evans could be a permanent option, Sven rates him highly but with shinawatra''s billions, just liker Ismael Miller his future could be elsewhere. The reading two i would suggest have time still at reading, Leaving Bates, Southgate rates him highly, and with Taylor coming Roeder may not bother anyway.

As ive said, Taylor will come i''m quite sure, Paterson will also be availabble especially if scunny go down, him or evans next season i reckon.

Dublin will retire, i expect a huckerby exit too i''m afraid. Ryan Jarvis has no future, neither does Eagle, Halliday, and Bexfield (Remember him!), while Rossi J will follow his brother out too. That leaves a thin squad, even providing the Doc, and Fozzy stay among others, and that we keep and dont even loan Martin and Spillane:-

GK - Marshall, Gilks, Arnold - Covered!

DL - Drury, Plus???? Bertrand loan me thinks

DR - Semmy, Cave-Brown perhaps, plus AN other

DC   Shack, Doc, Taylor!, plus another youngster perhaps

MR   Croft, Chadders

ML   NEEDED, Pattison

MC  Fozzy, Russel, Pattison, Gibbs i reckon, Spillane

Striker: Apply within: Cureton, Evans/Pattison, Martin and 2 more!!!!

So 9 players required!!!, ive predicted 4, only a right back, another centre back, a left winger and 2 MORE strikers to find!

Chicken you are spot on as per usual. Great post, I would have quoted it but it was long and would have spammed the whole thread up.

[quote user="7rew"]

5) Glenn will build up a reputation for Norwich (and enhance his own) as being a good place to send your youngsters on loan.  This will be invalueble!  It will enable us to be in a good position for season long loans nexty season.  I doubt anyone would object if we ended up with loans like Larsson and Bentdner that got brum up.

[/quote]

Totally agree with this. Footballers join particular clubs for a variety of reasons, but I reckon joining a club that''s going places must come pretty high up the prority list for most of them. Suspect NCFC will be a much more attractive proposition come summer.