Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

IPSWICH SPEND £2M ON NORRIS....WE SPEND £0M ON NOBODY

Im still divided on whether it was a good transfer window or not. We didnt get Taylor, we didnt get a striker and we spent nothing. The scum have spent 2mil on Norris and are clearly showing there intent on making the playoffs, and weve spent nothing.We have brought in some good players on loan tho, especially Bates and Gibbs, and i suppose whats the difference in a way, weve strengthened more than other teams, not paid any over inflated prices for players, and can get down to the real business in the summer.So what do you think? Is it another case of ''prudence''? Do the board think theres no point in spending, were safe now and Roeder will ensure we finish mid table, or is it a case of some very good business done by Roeder, getting some quality loans in, and then in the summer he will get some cash when he can really spend it wisely to strengthen for next season?I always said if we could have got Taylor and a good striker in we''d make the playoffs for sure. Im not so sure now. Still think its possible but i just think we could have guaranteed a playoff spot by spending on MT and a striker....

This one again?

Why whenever another club (scummers or not) in our league spends a wad of money on a player, someone complains we have no ambition?

In this situation, it''s like comparing apples and oranges. Ips**t are in a completely different situation to us, as they are actually pushing for the playoffs. Therefore they should spend more in Januaryto make sure they achieve this. Therefore, they have to pay January prices (You think £2M is a good price for Norris?).

All we need to do this January is make sure we don''t get relegated, and that''s what Roeder has done.

Why buy that new plasma TV before xmas, when you know come boxing day it will be cheaper?

Maybe you might like to check the current form table or come back to us when we next play the paupers and see who has made the correct moves.

[quote user="Barclayman"]Im still divided on whether it was a good transfer window or not. We didnt get Taylor, we didnt get a striker and we spent nothing. The scum have spent 2mil on Norris and are clearly showing there intent on making the playoffs, and weve spent nothing.

We have brought in some good players on loan tho, especially Bates and Gibbs, and i suppose whats the difference in a way, weve strengthened more than other teams, not paid any over inflated prices for players, and can get down to the real business in the summer.

So what do you think? Is it another case of ''prudence''? Do the board think theres no point in spending, were safe now and Roeder will ensure we finish mid table, or is it a case of some very good business done by Roeder, getting some quality loans in, and then in the summer he will get some cash when he can really spend it wisely to strengthen for next season?

I always said if we could have got Taylor and a good striker in we''d make the playoffs for sure. Im not so sure now. Still think its possible but i just think we could have guaranteed a playoff spot by spending on MT and a striker....
[/quote]

This is an untruth - we have spent money in this window, albeit an undisclosed fee - Remember Matty Pattison?

That would be the Pattison who is not even good enough to make the starting 11 . Ipswich have ambition Norwich dont and never will have while that woman owns the club , and you can all bleat on about the summer as much as you like it will be the same story again then . 4 schoolkids on loan well done again Norwich how hard you must have all worked to make that happen .

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Maybe you might like to check the current form table or come back to us when we next play the paupers and see who has made the correct moves.
[/quote]

Remember Ralph, form is temporary, class is permanent.

A fool and his money are soon parted.  I am glad we didnt spend £2million on Norris.  He is a good championship performer but he has no premiership experience.  It will take time for him to settle and he may not like East Anglian life.  Anyway for Ipswich to get promoted then they have to play better away and it will take more than Norris to do that.

I would much rather have an Arsenal youngster on loan rather than some of the dross that moved during the transfer window - Kyle , Adebola etc.

Norris is a quality buy , yes they probably paid over the odds for him but they have this ambition to get promoted and to do that you need the better players and the better players wont come cheap now or in the summer.

[quote user="The Drop"]That would be the Pattison who is not even good enough to make the starting 11 . Ipswich have ambition Norwich dont and never will have while that woman owns the club , and you can all bleat on about the summer as much as you like it will be the same story again then . 4 schoolkids on loan well done again Norwich how hard you must have all worked to make that happen .[/quote]

So what would you have us do - spend a wad of money that we may not even have to aim for something that we might achieve anyway.  I''m willing to bet that both us and the Binners are both playing in this division at the start of next season and I know which manager''s judgement I''d be happier with.  Bywater in goal...what the * is all that about???

Norfolk&Chance wrote the following post at 01/02/2008 10:04 AM:

(You think £2M is a good price for Norris?).

Of course i dont, hence my comment on over inflated

prices....Norris is a very good player tho, and the fact that the

binners are prepared to pay a slightly higher fee for a player that

will definiitly strenghten their chance of a playoff place, and we

spend a 1/4 of that speaks volumes about our ambition doesnt it?Having

said that if you got the nature of my post i was giving a view from

each side as i am split on whether what we have done represents good

business or a lack of ambition.

2.4 million of one average player, hmmm, I know I would not have been too happy if we had spent that amount money on him, I am happy with the loan players, he has said that we will not recognise the squad and that he likes working with young players, this makes me wonder, that when the summer comes, he will make the squad very young, get a lot of loans players form the likes of Arsenal etc, he will have money to spend. I''m looking forward to GR signings, he knows what sort of players he wants and will not pay over the odds for any player. So, the choice of Norris or the laons we got, I know which one I would go for.

Did anybody else hear that Spurs lloked into getting Henry in on loan as well, he is highly rated. Not the French one, although he is not too bad a player.

The transfer window is shut we have a good team we aren''t going to get promoted this year roeder knows what he''s doing lets leave it at that!

Come on city onwards and upwards

[quote user="ricardo"]

Remember Ralph, form is temporary, class is permanent.

[/quote]

Then we will soon be permanently above them then, won''t we Ricardo?

If we win today we are 6 points from the play offs after a disasterous start.  Even with our allegedly ''awful'' squad we would be up there if Roeder had been there at the start - so why are we bleating at not spending 2 million on a very average player?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"we didn''t get Taylor" - that''s because he wasn''t for sale![/quote]What??Of course he was for sale, why else would Brum have accepted a £1m fee from QPR and told us to up our bid?where the hell have you been the last month.

[quote user="JC"]

If we win today we are 6 points from the play offs after a disasterous start.  Even with our allegedly ''awful'' squad we would be up there if Roeder had been there at the start - so why are we bleating at not spending 2 million on a very average player?

[/quote]Jesus, its not about we didnt buy Norris for £2m, its about not buying Martin Taylor, a striker or really spending any cash at all.If you read my thread i give a balanced opinion on our transfer dealings, and ask for peoples opinion on whether what weve done is good or bad...

Ricardo -

" Remember Ralph, form is temporary, class is permanent."

Didn''t take much to flush out that binner. For those not in the know this is a favourite bleat of the binners.

Perhaps one or two City fans on here might now care to look a little closer at those on here who constantly attack the club and understand (as above) why.

So, one down and few more to go..........Fudger, Whittle, jaz etc

Sorry must have missed this, an offer was accepted in November but the transfer window wasn''t open then, when it was open they didn''t want to sell.

All nonsense, we didn''t sign big players cos whats the point, we are not going up this season, save the cash and get better value in the summer and go for it next year.

Roeder know the score, leave it to him, top bloke.

Ipswich were mugged in broad daylight in paying 2.4m for a player worth 1m at best. They also down graded regarding their goalkeepers.

Glenn Roeder has used his contacts to bring in 4 upwardly mobile, gifted youngsters to add to the earlier signings and we now have cover in all positions. I''m looking forward to the rest of this season and to next season. Glenn knows what he''s doing, trust him.

Would i be happier with the ipswich signings here, or with what we''ve got theres no contest. Glenn got it right.

COM''ON YOU YELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Noambition from the board??? Does anyone here think that loan players cost nothing!! I know most don''t, but I''d rather have the 4 loan players  than have 2 million spent on Norris. Ips might have spent 2 million on Norris but unless they start winning away they won''t get promotion. If we win today and they lose and we can beat them at Portman Rd, this season looks set for an exciting end! Wouldn''tit be great to end above them especially after what they were singing/taunting us when we played them at home!!!

It is interesting that Norris has stated his main reason for going to ipswich was to be nearer his family in Peterborough. About 2 years ago Worthington publicly stated his interest in Norris but later admitted he couldn`t afford him. The rumoured asking price at the time was £800k. So that`s another valuable, quality player we have missed out on because the board would rather have a squad of cheap wasters than spend a bit more on quality.

I would have thought Roeder would have started to build his squad with a couple of quality players but filling the squad with loans we will have to rebuild again in summer from fresh then its another season gelling and looking for consistence. Maybe he did well with loans but if we want to do anything in the future apart from mediocrity the club has to show the ambition "on the pitch" the board says it has. We may see some good FOOTBALL before this season ends but its back to the drawing board in the summer again.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

None of this is anything to do with lack of ambition by the club. Roeder has clearly stated that he had money to spend but decided to save it for the summer, which I personally think is the right thing to do.

And who''s to say these young players won''t make an impact in The Championship? Look at the youngsters Arsenal sent out to Birmingham last year? And whre did Birmingham end up?!