Sign in to follow this  
OTBC

Why didn't we buy Taylor upfront?

Why did we mess around for ages after his loan? We were given a value, a fair one given his quality, and we skimped on £750k hoping they''d be willing to budge as deadline approached. We finally matched Birmingham''s valuation of £1m on deadline day only to be rebuffed as Birmingham had failed to bring in a CB. Should have offered £1m upfront and had his signature on the dottted line as soon as the window opened.

[quote user="OTBC"]

Why did we mess around for ages after his loan? We were given a value, a fair one given his quality, and we skimped on £750k hoping they''d be willing to budge as deadline approached. We finally matched Birmingham''s valuation of £1m on deadline day only to be rebuffed as Birmingham had failed to bring in a CB. Should have offered £1m upfront and had his signature on the dottted line as soon as the window opened.

[/quote]If you listen to radio Norfolk you would have heard Neil Adams subtly saying we had offered £1million but that had been knocked back. Did anyone else pick up on this in the last Canary Call?

Read Roeders comments - he wasn''t for sale - we matched the asking price (as did Coventry) but Birmingham wanted to keep him.

No, you''re missing my point. If we''d matched the asking price at the beginning of the window he would have been allowed to leave. As it was, we matched it on the last day when Birmingham had failed to bring in any cover, so it was rejected.

I believe you have hit the nail right on the head OTBC!

We knew he''d be more than good enough so we should of bit the bullet and spent £1 million on Taylor!

The ''Ginger Pele'' played ''up front'' for us in the Prem for a time.....and he scored against the Geordies....Don''t ya know.

Lets all boo Roeder for undervaluing Taylor. Idiot. Brady was right all along. We should have just thrown the money at her. We offered $750k, they said £1m. We offered £850, they said £1m. We offered (allegedly) £1m, the said £1.25mYou really want to do business with a woman like that? Taylor will make no difference to our season now. We''ll get him for nothing in the summer .....assuming a better prospect doesn''t come along.Wait til you see Gibbs play...... :o)

I think way things have panned out rather suggest that Taylor was never really for sale, at least in the normal way, and whatever ££ was offered would not have got him right now: imo it was one of those occasions when any potential move was dependent on Brum getting in a replacement first - a sensible approach (remember he is, right now, on the verge of their first team squad) - and as they didn''t get anyone so any potential moves could not happen - be it to us, Coventry or whoever.  This opinion fits perfectly with reported increased bids being turned down this week: they had missed out on Cahill and wanted to keep their player.  [And as to the QPR ''offer'', I doubt this was ever quite as real as was made out].

If you also read the most recent articles on the subject, the flavour is very much that we will have to wait until the Summer when the transfer window reopens, not that it is a dead duck - ie, that again we will have to wait on Brum getting in a replacement.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Lets all boo Roeder for undervaluing Taylor. Idiot. Brady was right all along. We should have just thrown the money at her.

We offered $750k, they said £1m. We offered £850, they said £1m. We offered (allegedly) £1m, the said £1.25m

You really want to do business with a woman like that? Taylor will make no difference to our season now. We''ll get him for nothing in the summer .....assuming a better prospect doesn''t come along.

Wait til you see Gibbs play...... :o)
[/quote]

Not sure if your post is tongue in cheek or not but I agree that we will get someone for that position in the summer.  Taylor or not it doesn''t matter, Roeder seems to have an eye for a good player so I trust his judgement.  Also looking foward to seeing the youngsters play.  Especially the 2 wingers.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Lets all boo Roeder for undervaluing Taylor. Idiot. Brady was right all along. We should have just thrown the money at her.

We offered $750k, they said £1m. We offered £850, they said £1m. We offered (allegedly) £1m, the said £1.25m

You really want to do business with a woman like that? Taylor will make no difference to our season now. We''ll get him for nothing in the summer .....assuming a better prospect doesn''t come along.

[/quote]

Good point!  At the end of the season, things could have changed significantly...we may have fallen for another central defender...and have a realistic opportunity of signing him. Or, as another more likely scenario, Birmingham will drop and Taylor will become more desirable to hold onto and be offered a deal, as others, currently higher up the Brum pecking order, move on to stay in the Premiership gravy train.

[/quote]

Erm, in case you hadn`t realised Taylor isn`t out of contract in the summer. I know `cos T07 told me so........Keep up oh wise one.

If Birmingham get relegated, I think there''s a strong chance that they''ll reinstate him at the heart of their defence, since he''s so good at Championship level. With Wigan and Bolton both winning, Birmingham''s position is looking precarious.