Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Darren Huckerby to leave!

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED01%20Feb%202008%2009%3A37%3A03%3A360

To be honest, I think it''s the best time for him to go! He will free up a LOT of wages and he isn''t the player he used to be.....

.....but if he''s not in the Hall of Fame yet, he bloody should be, he is a credit to the team and it''s been great fun watching him destroy defenses!

[quote user="Tom NCFC"]

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich
&itemid=NOED01%20Feb%202008%2009%3A37%3A03%3A360

To be honest, I think it''s the best time for him to go! He will free up a LOT of wages and he isn''t the player he used to be.....

.....but if he''s not in the Hall of Fame yet, he bloody should be, he is a credit to the team and it''s been great fun watching him destroy defenses!

[/quote]

Here, here - he is a legend, but it''s better to move on, than fade away... sad tho''.

Huckerby is a true Norwich legend & I will remember him for getting us promoted & for ripping defences apart with his lightening pace. Also how many players in recent years have been Norwich through & through? Not many! Darren bleeds green & yellow!!!!

has been and always will be a city legend, but for both parties agreed it is a good time to move on, good luck to him in the future here''s hoping we can have a few legendary huckerby performances between now and the end of season to add to our collection:)

THE FRONT OF THE EASTERN EVENING NEWS SAYS DEVASTATED AFTER THE REPORT ON PINE BANKS. THE BACK OF THE PAPER REPORTS THE HUCKERBY SITUATION. 

MANY WILL BE DEVASTATED ABOUT THE BACK PAGE NEWS TOO.

NIGW  

He said on Canaries world he wants to see the team do well because when he finishes playing he is going to watch! Quality- one of us!

If we reach the play-offs and get promoted I think he will stay on for another year. 

My view on this latest news from his agent is that Huckerby is looking for an extension here, and is trying to exert a bit of pressure on Glenn by this opening gambit. Time will tell.

darren huckerby not only has/had great ability as a player he has also always given 100% whenever he''s played and has stayed truely loyal to ncfc it is very rare to find a footballer with all three qualities, thanks for everything you''ve done for our club darren you are truely a norwich legend!

will never forget the goal he scored agaimst birmingham last year running half the length of the  pitch beating four players than planting the ball in the bottom corner, true class!

[quote user="paul moy"]

If we reach the play-offs and get promoted [/quote]

we''ll come straight back down again.

Good luck Hucks, you''ve been great but unfortunately the time comes when everyone knows their limitations.

Is this the same agent who said he was not coming here in the first place????

If you are going, I wish you all the best, Darren.

I would be very sad if Huckerby left Norwich for another club - unless it was Salisbury - because he''s such a talented player and is Norwich to the bone. I know his pace is waining, but he still has the ability and the footballing brain, so I think there''s still more seasons left in him. I hope the board and especially Roeder persuades him to stay.

I dont believe anything that his agent Phil Smith says after the fiasco of Nov 2003 when he said that Hucks would never sign for us as we weren''t a big enough club. If I remember rightly Hucks bypassed his agent, fell out with him temporarily and signed on the dotted line in December.

I''m not expecting him to stay if I''m honest but I wont be saying goodbye until I hear it from his own lips.

Hucks thoughts at Colney this morning ( which I hope will make the pinkun front page very soon)

[quote]

As ever, he will do his own bidding after his long-time agent Phil Smith today told the Norwich Evening News that his client would be leaving this summer. Just as he insisted that Huckerby would never be coming back to Carrow Road after his three-month loan spell in the autumn of 2003.

Four years later and Huckerby and his family are as much part of the Norfolk landscape as the Gunns, the Flemings and the Goss''. And nor is he about to be handed a timetable by Mr Smith.

"He''s entitled to his own opinion - as he''s done before and when he turned out to be wrong," said the City favourite at Colney this morning, as he offered his first reaction to Smith''s farewell speech.

"Who knows? My contract is up at the end of the season - and my loyalty should never be questioned to this club."

He has had other offers; more money elsewhere. Gordon Strachan''s Celtic were long-time admirers; Neil Warnock has also had a nibble while Sheffield United boss. All failed as Huckerby buys into Norfolk life.

"I will serve out the remainder of my contract and then we will see from there. I haven''t been offered anything by the club - and I haven''t really spoken to the club. So read into that what you will."   

"I know I''m not possibly the future of the club any more," said Huckerby, heart as ever firmly on sleeve.

"Which is obvious - me and Dion are getting old now. At the minute I haven''t decided what I''m going to do, but like I say, this club means a lot to me. And I would never leave lightly."

The rumours have flown thick and fast this window with a reunion with Carl Robinson and Jim Brennan in the MLS with Toronto FC being the drum that was banged the loudest.

Huckerby has already said that, out of loyalty to the Canary cause, he would never play for another English club. And he ain''t budging from that his place in the club''s all-time Hall Of Fame long assured.

"You should know by now that I''m a man of word - whenever I''ve said something, it''s been right," said the City star, as he knocked the MLS rumours into the long grass.

"There''s been a lot of rumours, but if anyone had asked me I''d have told them straight away - what? I was meant to be signing for Palace, going to Toronto last week.

"But if you''d asked me then I''d have told you that my loyalties have always been to Norwich City - and it will be till the end of my contract."

In fairness, he has had every reason to depart as that one season in the top flight was followed by a particularly miserable run of form and fortune - all laced with much off-field poison as that relegation hangover lingered for, arguably, at least two seasons. Only now under Roeder''s charge are the clouds beginning to lift.

"I''m one of the few ones that has stayed - through thick and thin. Other people have left whenever they could - as soon as they got the chance," said Huckerby, an accusation that could be levelled at Messrs Green, Ashton, Etuhu, Earnshaw and Safri - even if, on occasion, few would begrudge their chance of tasting Premiership football again.

"Like I said, I will honour my contract which I think is very important."

And he''s realistic. The team is winning; if it ain''t bust, the manager may be in no hurry to fix it. Or if he is, it could be with someone 14 years Huckerby''s junior - and with their own, long career laying in front of them.

"It''s disappointing, but the team''s winning," said Huckerby. "I want to play - don''t get me wrong. But at the minute everything is working out pretty well. And the most important thing is Norwich City.

"Long after I''m gone, there''ll still be Norwich City. I''m only going to be playing for a couple more years - and then I''ll be watching Norwich City."[/quote]

Now lets all get behind him for the rest of the season and reward the loyalty he''s shown to us!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Hucks thoughts at Colney this morning ( which I hope will make the pinkun front page very soon)

[quote]

As ever, he will do his own bidding after his long-time agent Phil Smith today told the Norwich Evening News that his client would be leaving this summer. Just as he insisted that Huckerby would never be coming back to Carrow Road after his three-month loan spell in the autumn of 2003.

Four years later and Huckerby and his family are as much part of the Norfolk landscape as the Gunns, the Flemings and the Goss''. And nor is he about to be handed a timetable by Mr Smith.

"He''s entitled to his own opinion - as he''s done before and when he turned out to be wrong," said the City favourite at Colney this morning, as he offered his first reaction to Smith''s farewell speech.

"Who knows? My contract is up at the end of the season - and my loyalty should never be questioned to this club."

He has had other offers; more money elsewhere. Gordon Strachan''s Celtic were long-time admirers; Neil Warnock has also had a nibble while Sheffield United boss. All failed as Huckerby buys into Norfolk life.

"I will serve out the remainder of my contract and then we will see from there. I haven''t been offered anything by the club - and I haven''t really spoken to the club. So read into that what you will."   

"I know I''m not possibly the future of the club any more," said Huckerby, heart as ever firmly on sleeve.

"Which is obvious - me and Dion are getting old now. At the minute I haven''t decided what I''m going to do, but like I say, this club means a lot to me. And I would never leave lightly."

The rumours have flown thick and fast this window with a reunion with Carl Robinson and Jim Brennan in the MLS with Toronto FC being the drum that was banged the loudest.

Huckerby has already said that, out of loyalty to the Canary cause, he would never play for another English club. And he ain''t budging from that his place in the club''s all-time Hall Of Fame long assured.

"You should know by now that I''m a man of word - whenever I''ve said something, it''s been right," said the City star, as he knocked the MLS rumours into the long grass.

"There''s been a lot of rumours, but if anyone had asked me I''d have told them straight away - what? I was meant to be signing for Palace, going to Toronto last week.

"But if you''d asked me then I''d have told you that my loyalties have always been to Norwich City - and it will be till the end of my contract."

In fairness, he has had every reason to depart as that one season in the top flight was followed by a particularly miserable run of form and fortune - all laced with much off-field poison as that relegation hangover lingered for, arguably, at least two seasons. Only now under Roeder''s charge are the clouds beginning to lift.

"I''m one of the few ones that has stayed - through thick and thin. Other people have left whenever they could - as soon as they got the chance," said Huckerby, an accusation that could be levelled at Messrs Green, Ashton, Etuhu, Earnshaw and Safri - even if, on occasion, few would begrudge their chance of tasting Premiership football again.

And he''s realistic. The team is winning; if it ain''t bust, the manager may be in no hurry to fix it. Or if he is, it could be with someone 14 years Huckerby''s junior - and with their own, long career laying in front of them.

"It''s disappointing, but the team''s winning," said Huckerby. "I want to play - don''t get me wrong. But at the minute everything is working out pretty well. And the most important thing is Norwich City.

"Long after I''m gone, there''ll still be Norwich City. I''m only going to be playing for a couple more years - and then I''ll be watching Norwich City."[/quote]

Now lets all get behind him for the rest of the season and reward the loyalty he''s shown to us!

[/quote]

Undoubtedly - he''s an absolute legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote]

[/quote]

Undoubtedly - he''s an absolute legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Blimey... who would of thought it???

For once I can agree with CA and Maccy D al within one thread... [:D]

It will be a very sad day for this football club if darren does to decide to call it a day here at the end of this season... [:(]

All the best Darren, you are an absolute legend... your displays will live long in the memory (unlike those of the team in recent times).

All credit to you for having the balls to speak up earlier this season, as the vast majority of people connected with NCFC have sat back and watched those in control almost destroy the club.

Darren Huckerby has been incredibly loyal to norwich city - when he signed in 2003 it was against the advice of his agent - he has certainly been our most entertaining player (i.e. the goal against birmingham last season) and has stuck with us through thick and thin - do you remember that dreadful home game against Burnley which was Worthy''s final game in charge, well Hucks never gave it up he and Earnie are probably the only players that ''gave it a go''.  Hucks is a rare find in the footballing world - a player with integrity!!!  As for the statement in todays press well I think this is a message to the club - what are your intentions I need to know - and if he is offered another one year deal I think he will probaly sign.

As for the lack of the form that we have all become accustomed to I believe it is mainly due to his injury and hopefully he will start to fire on all four cyclinders between now and the end of the season.  He has not been selected in the starting 11 recently is because of this and the resulting drop in form, what is clear is that Glen Roeder does not carry any passengers in the team.

Beyond this season yes he does have a role to play many say he is past it personally I think he has to reinvent himself i.e. to get his head up and use his skill and experience in the way Dion or Ryan Giggs does to good effect and to not just rely on his pace i.e. running flat out at defences with his head down.  An old football saying - as a player gets older they loose a yard of pace but they never loose quality and Darren has plenty of quality.

Norwich City Legend - Abso~bloody~lutely!!

OTBC

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote]

[/quote]

What a man!

So much for his over-inflated ego.Genuine humility. A true hero of the old school. I''m not ashamed to admit it brought a tear to my eye.

Shows up so many of the "supporters" on here for what they are.

It brought a tear to my eye too Ron, the guy loves this club so much and its sad that a few have seen fit to have a moan about him on here especially as he reads this forum.

Whatever he decides at the end of the season he''ll go down as one of our greats. He says there will be a Norwich City long after he''s finished playing and there will be cause life goes on but I''ll miss him for sure.

Would love there to be a charity game for Hucks and Dion as a goodbye tribute??

Yes, Darren is and has been a class act, many times oof our best players, honest and wears his heart on his sleeve. Sometimes frustrating but lots of the true greats are that way. Maybe he''ll be hear next season, especially if Glenn wants him otherwise overseas and perhaps in Australia with Sydney FC. a great country and lifestyle for the end of his career.

Thanks Darren and ''Good Luck'' wherever you go.

[quote user="cityangel"]

It brought a tear to my eye too Ron, the guy loves this club so much and its sad that a few have seen fit to have a moan about him on here especially as he reads this forum.

Whatever he decides at the end of the season he''ll go down as one of our greats. He says there will be a Norwich City long after he''s finished playing and there will be cause life goes on but I''ll miss him for sure.

Would love there to be a charity game for Hucks and Dion as a goodbye tribute??

[/quote]That''s a great idea. Maybe against Nottm Forest or Lincoln or something?Darren Huckerby has been the most entertaining player I''ve ever seen in a Norwich shirt and the club may go on without him after he''s retired, but he''ll always be rememebered as one of the true greats.