Sign in to follow this  
Infamy, Infamy

Why no injuries?

We have an awful record of injuries to key players at crucial times over the past few years.Peter Grant couldn''t field the same team two matches running and regularly had two centre backs, two midfilders or two strikers sidelined at the same time. Earnie missed months when he was at the top of the goalscorers league. Marshall did his ankle just into a loan. Fozzy did his ankle just as he came into form.The list seems endless.
At the moment we only have Jukebox out long term, along with Chadwick, who has also been plagued with recurrences from last season (thanks Batesy!). Glenn Roeder now has to leave out talented players, rather than having to scratch around for enough nearly fit bodies.
So what has changed? Was Grant, or even Worthy before him, just unlucky? Have our training methods improved under Roeder and Clark? Don''t forget they were at Newcastle when they had a terrible run of injuries. Are players suddenly ignoring knocks because they actually want to play?
Is it just that, as in our promotion season, we are having a bit of good fortune at last? These things go in cycles.
Whatever it is, thanks to GR''s squad strengthening, we don''t know what the team will be for the next game, for all the right reasons.
Things are picking up and long may it continue.

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.  I just put it down to players not wanting to miss a game for fear of not getting back in so they are just ignoring any little niggles, that maybe 5 months ago they would have missed 1 or 2 games for.GR has a selection headache for all the right reasons.  I cant wait to see this lad from Arsenal play, I wondered what was going through his head after 45 mins of scrappy long ball on saturday.  He has probably never known football like that.  Hopefully he will show the way of passing football and that''ll rub off on the whole team, even Doc [:D]