Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Norwich - a team without stars?

With Hux in a dregree of decline, I feel that we are a team of good players but without anyone able to dominate a match and "win it on his own". Some of the loan players could well become a force in the future, meanwhile they are still learning their trade.If this is correct then it may explain why sometimes we don''t turn up, or we manage only one half of good football - a team with no outstanding players needs everyone to play for everyone else. If one or two are off colour there seems to be no-one who can compensate by a great solo performance. When they do all click then we turn it on, and could beat anyone. We have an MOM each week, and very often it is not someone who has dominated a match, but rather someone who has made fewer mistakes and made some useful contributions.When Hux was in his pomp other -layers used to try to deal with him by having two markers plus sover. I feel that this doesn''t happen to any of our players now. Its a strength, but it is also a weakness. I hope that in the summer or soon we shall have one or two players fully capable of hiolding their own in the Premiership, and who when they have the ball throw fear into the opposition.

Agree with the thrust of your post but i think Crofty is quickly becoming that player. He needs to add an end product to his game but it is worth noting that he had two players marking him yesterday, creating space for others....

[quote user="kick it off"]Agree with the thrust of your post but i think Crofty is quickly becoming that player. He needs to add an end product to his game but it is worth noting that he had two players marking him yesterday, creating space for others....[/quote]And that they guy is what - 22 so has plenty of time to get much much better which I feel he is doing everytime he plays.And although not that sort of "star" we have Russell who will run his heart out every single game and help break up play. Fotheringham had a bad day at the office yesterday but otherwise I think he could prove to be more than good for us too.

Arguably our best years ever were achieved without stars. Was a single member of thr 92/93 team a household name? What we had then though was great team spirit, organisation, tactics which suited the players, and instinctive fluid football which has been rare since. It also prevents over reliance on the "star" to deliver- at times with Hux we were very one-dimensional when the only tactic seemed to be to hoof the ball over to the left wing and hope that Darren did some magic.

The trouble with this approach is: what do you do when your star is injured or off form? I suspect that some of NCFC''s problems have been due to an over-reliance on Hux - I think there may have been a bit of "get the ball up to him any-old-how, sit back & watch him go" attitude from some players (Ian Murray, perhaps?).

It''s fine if you''re Manure & can afford half a dozen stars, but I think the Arsenal approach (have they really missed Henry?) works better for Norwich.

I would agree with most of the comments on here, Croft is getting better but needs to produce a better cross. I would like to see Hux stay as he is still a great player at this level but he has not been up to his usual standards this season.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Arguably our best years ever were achieved without stars. Was a single member of thr 92/93 team a household name? What we had then though was great team spirit, organisation, tactics which suited the players, and instinctive fluid football which has been rare since. It also prevents over reliance on the "star" to deliver- at times with Hux we were very one-dimensional when the only tactic seemed to be to hoof the ball over to the left wing and hope that Darren did some magic.

[/quote]

Exactly mate, this is why i think that since he has been dropped we have a better shape and balance in the team. we dont just have one outlet. too often we just used to get the ball and go ''hmmm wheres hucks?'' defences quickly tagged on and took him out of the  game. meaning we had to beat them another way most of the time.i think it is no surprise why since he has been dropped results have started to go our way. Though what he has done for this club is amazing and shall never be forgotten i personally think it maybe it''s time to part ways as it is probably best for both parties here.

FFS!!!! Hucks is not finished folks! He has been struggling with his hip injury. However, he''s had his injection now & if given the chance I think he''ll show us his old form again. Come on Hucks, prove me right!!

i agree with the team without stars as when i look at opposition teams i think

who would i want of them in our team

only one i would have is marshall and we wouldnt need him with our crop of keepers

but then....

sometimes having no stars helps, as you seem to get un-noticed and expectation levels are generally lower,

so i see it more of a benefit than a negative

We8wba - I think you could say that about most teams in this division as it is much tighter and much more competative than the prem.When I look at your team there is probably only one player I would have - that nippy little winger - but even then it would be a poisened challace as he is wanted by premiership teams I believe. Otherwise I wonder about your team.I say that because either your strikers can''t finnish or they are getting too few chances to do so. Many people on here would take one of them but if you are saying they have to be a genuine star - or better than what you have already - you have more strikers to choose from but not nessisarily more quality.

Agree chicken, im not trying to say 10 out 11 wolves would walk into norwich team, although our bunch may have more potential in the long run as we had 8players the other day aged 19-24

do you mean kightly? he walk into any team in this league, he far to good, he will be gone in summer if he gets fit and on form. middle prem side like a bolton level he do fine

I cant think of more than 2 or 3 Wolves players that i would have in our first team ahead of our current players so im not sure what your talking about there, and i think our current form shows thats true.  I also wouldnt swap managers either! 

[quote user="we8wba"]

do you mean kightly? he walk into any team in this league, he far to good, he will be gone in summer if he gets fit and on form. middle prem side like a bolton level he do fine

[/quote]

People said that about Koumas for years... he''ll be back in the championship come the summer...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

People said that about Koumas for years... he''ll be back in the championship come the summer...

jas :)

[/quote]

i think il be right the only other players iv said same about are dean richards (saints) robbie keane (spurs/leeds/inter/cov) and lescott (everton) im usually right,centre midfield is lot harder than right wing. kightly is full under 21 starter as well nowdays which is obviosuly encouraging

When HUckerby first arrived, everytime he got the ball you could hear the anticipation from just about everyone.

Anyone else get that same feeling everytime Croft got it the other day?