Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Excellent Defence - Past 11 Games

We all know about our unbeaten streak in the league over the past 11 games, but it''s worth looking at our defensive record versus everyone else in the division. While we''ve undoubtedly had our share of luck just remember, for those of you going to the matches who wish to focus on that with your cup half empty mentality, we are not watching other teams in all of their matches and they are undoubtedly experiencing let-offs too. I know we have problems scoring goals but I would bet there''s a lot of other managers coming into games against us saying to their players, "Don''t let Norwich score against you or you''re going to have a tough time winning the match." It''s kind of nice to have a positive thought like that, isn''t it?

I think, armed with this information, we should let it leak out to Karren Brady that we have Gary Doherty and Jason Shackell holding up the strong fortress at the rear and, with tongue in cheek, we should also let her know we already have bids on the table of 3 million for each of them ( two can play at that game ), just in case she is looking for help to get out of the relegation zone. However, she will have to at least match those bids. Hope you''re "peeping in" to this site Karren.          

Goals Conceeded

Past 11 matches

1.        Norwich City                                     6

1.        Crystal Palace                                    6         

3.        Cardiff                                               11

3.        Southampton                                      11

5.        Blackpool                                          12

5.        Plymouth                                            12

5.        Stoke                                                  12

5.        Watford                                              12

9.        Charlton                                             13

9.        Ipswich                                              13

9.        Preston                                               13

9.        QPR                                                   13

9.        Sheffield United                                 13

9.        Sheffield Wednesday                         13

15.      Bristol City                                        14

15.      Hull City                                            14

15.      Leicester City                                    14

18.      Burnley                                              15

18.      Wolves                                              15

20.      Coventry City                                    18

21.      Colchester United                              19

21.      Scunthorpe United                             19

23.      Barnsley                                            20

23.      WBA                                                 20                                                                   

look at WBA how are they top, well there prob top of goals scored no doubt :(Old Doc and shacks are keeping it pretty tight, especially when you say that camara and semmy dont make many tackles, or blocks.Drury and hughes where better at that :D

Quite impressive seeing as it is over 11 games (unusual figure that!). WBA have scored more goals than any other team in all four divisions i believe(?), they are playing the "Keegan" way. Brings up a question though - would you rather see us winning 4-3 or 1-0 on a regular basis?

I dont care what the score is in the game at the minute as long as it gives us another 3 points!

I think when we were bottom of the league i would rather have seen a boring 1-0 win rather than a exciting 6-5 loss or something like that! Points on the board are the main thing.

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]look at WBA how are they top, well there prob top of goals scored no doubt :(

Old Doc and shacks are keeping it pretty tight, especially when you say that camara and semmy dont make many tackles, or blocks.
Drury and hughes where better at that :D
[/quote]

Ginger, it''s true that WBA have performed best overall in the division and have scored a lot of goals and have by far the best goals differential, but they are still vulnerable defensively. Take their most recent five  league games. They lost at Ipswich 2-0, dropped points at home to Charlton 2-2 and Cardiff 3-3, and lost at Preston 2-1. They squeezed a victory out in a hard fought home match against Burnley on the weekend 2-1. The division is tightening up for the run-in and teams that give goals away easily are not going to find it as easy as they did earlier in the season.

The real answer to your question as to "how are WBA top" is because of the absolute inconsistency of those teams immediately below them.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Goals Conceded

Past 11 matches

1.        Norwich City                                     6

1.        Crystal Palace                                    6         

[/quote]

Good stats.

I wish someone would show this to the muppet who sits next to me and constantly moans every time the ball goes near one of our centre backs.

WBA bottom - blimey... they score a few more though, I bet.

[quote user="bunny"]Quite impressive seeing as it is over 11 games (unusual figure that!). WBA have scored more goals than any other team in all four divisions i believe(?), they are playing the "Keegan" way. Brings up a question though - would you rather see us winning 4-3 or 1-0 on a regular basis?[/quote]

lol oddly enough the year we got promoted I do believe we won a lot of games 1-0.

1 winning goal is 3 points, 5 winning goals is still 3 points, so it says to me who cares as long as we win [:)]

The defence has been looking good, I do think that GR is make the team defend from the front a lot more and the midfield look a lot stronger. Lets keep it this way, we will need to defend strong against Cardif as they are the form team.

WBA currently have 54 points from 30 games. Generally you would expect the team winning the league to average 2 points a game. When we won the league we finished with 94 points. It shows that the league is a lot more even with just 27 points covering the whole league. It looks like you will need only 70 points for the play off''s this year but are likely to need as many as 52/53 points to be safe. A reason why we should not too carried away about survival and a possible play off place just yet.