Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

January

Last season I posted about how our January was running true to form. And right enough by the end of the month we had, as usual,  not won a league game and in fact had got a big fat 0 points. This followed on from 1 point out of 12 in 2006, 2/12 in 05, 4/9 in 04, 1/6 in 03, 2/12 in 02 and so on and on. In fact up until this season we had only won one league game in January throughout the previous 6 seasons and the last time we won away in the league during the month of  January was in 1997 at Stoke.

So this January I kept my gob shut. We started the month with a great performance at Crystal Palace and I didn''t want to tempt fate by drawing attention to our dismal January form. However, with all the attention centred on the transfer window and peoples disappointments in what we ended up getting, its been hardly noticed that we were unbeaten throughout the month chalking up 2 away wins and gathering 8 points from 12.

January, don''t be cold, don''t be angry to me
You make me sad come and see
Oh January
Don''t go, don''t go

Now February has started where January left off and we are closer to the top 6 than we are the bottom 3.

Anyone else got anything to be cheerful about they''d like to share? [;)]

" its been hardly noticed that we were unbeaten throughout the month chalking up 2 away wins and gathering 8 points from 12."yes, those who keep on about us being unbeaten in 10 games seem to over look that factodd that

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

After every point(or 3) gained Smudger & Whittle go back under their bridge for a few days.[;)]

You b*st*rd!! I''ve spent years trying to forget that freakin'' song, now it''s taking up valuable (ever-decreasing) brain space again!

AARRRGGHHH

"January

Sick & tired of ...."

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Last season I posted about how our January was running true to form. And right enough by the end of the month we had, as usual,  not won a league game and in fact had got a big fat 0 points. This followed on from 1 point out of 12 in 2006, 2/12 in 05, 4/9 in 04, 1/6 in 03, 2/12 in 02 and so on and on. In fact up until this season we had only won one league game in January throughout the previous 6 seasons and the last time we won away in the league during the month of  January was in 1997 at Stoke.

So this January I kept my gob shut. We started the month with a great performance at Crystal Palace and I didn''t want to tempt fate by drawing attention to our dismal January form. However, with all the attention centred on the transfer window and peoples disappointments in what we ended up getting, its been hardly noticed that we were unbeaten throughout the month chalking up 2 away wins and gathering 8 points from 12.

January, don''t be cold, don''t be angry to me
You make me sad come and see
Oh January
Don''t go, don''t go

Now February has started where January left off and we are closer to the top 6 than we are the bottom 3.

[/quote]

I doubt that nutty. What has been forgotten, if anything,  is how poorly we frequently play in the New Year. Weren''t  these treacherous New Year slides also quite frequent in the latter seasons of those benchmark years you prefer we didn''t reference? If so, our habit is even worse and more longstanding than you put it.

But let''s remember that there have been some exceptions - when we have gone on great second-half-of-season runs leading on to things unexpected when the Xmas gifts were being handed out and New Year resolutions made. Perhaps if you regaled us with a few of these as well, it might add further to this February cheer that we are so unused to.

2.25 points/match would take us to 74 points for the season and...............shhhh, don''t mention it. 

Impossible? Look to Italy for inspiration. InterMilan are leading Serie A with 50 points from their first 20 matches or 2.50 points/match, and Roma in 2nd place are averaging 2.25 points/match. Shhhh......

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong
To be better far than you are
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

And the world will be better for this
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star.

Impossible? Unreachable?

Not if the board will let Glen get in a strong, pacy striker on loan next week.

Does that qualify as being cheerful nutty?

OTBC

If we can get the rub of the green nutty and 1 or 2 other teams stumble, it may surprise all of us where we can end up!!!!!

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"]

If we can get the rub of the green nutty and 1 or 2 other teams stumble, it may surprise all of us where we can end up!!!!!

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

We don''t really need other teams to stumble. We ''just'' need to do our part get 73-75 points.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What has been forgotten, if anything,  is how poorly we frequently play in the New Year. Weren''t  these treacherous New Year slides also quite frequent in the latter seasons of those benchmark years you prefer we didn''t reference? If so, our habit is even worse and more longstanding than you put it.

But let''s remember that there have been some exceptions - when we have gone on great second-half-of-season runs leading on to things unexpected when the Xmas gifts were being handed out and New Year resolutions made. Perhaps if you regaled us with a few of these as well, it might add further to this February cheer that we are so unused to.

2.25 points/match would take us to 74 points for the season and...............shhhh, don''t mention it. 

[/quote]

Of course you are right Bly, my post was a reminder of how poor January has been in recent times. 11 years between away wins is unbelievable even in a month where there are fewer league fixtures because of the FA Cup.

OK Bly, I will regale you with season 81/82 where we managed to gather 46 points from our last 22 games and nick the third automatic promotion place. If we repeat that feat this season I reckon we will finish with 72 points which could be enough for the play offs in such an open and unpredictable season. We have 16 games left and having won 12 points from our last 6 games that would leave us with 34 points required from those 16 games to equal what we did in 1982.

Possible? You know it is. We have to win games though, maybe 10/11 to stand a chance. It''s a tall order but it can be done.

You can get it if you really want
But you must try, try and try
Try and try, you''ll succeed at last
I know it, listen

Rome was not built in a day
Opposition will come your way
But the hotter the battle you see
It\''s the sweeter the victory, now

You can get it if you really want - I know it
You can get it if you really want - though I show it
- so don''t give up now

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What has been forgotten, if anything,  is how poorly we frequently play in the New Year. Weren''t  these treacherous New Year slides also quite frequent in the latter seasons of those benchmark years you prefer we didn''t reference? If so, our habit is even worse and more longstanding than you put it.

[/quote]

Of course you are right Bly, my post was a reminder of how poor January has been in recent times. 11 years between away wins is unbelievable even in a month where there are fewer league fixtures because of the FA Cup.

OK Bly, I will regale you with season 81/82 where we managed to gather 46 points from our last 22 games and nick the third automatic promotion place. If we repeat that feat this season I reckon we will finish with 72 points which could be enough for the play offs in such an open and unpredictable season. We have 16 games left and having won 12 points from our last 6 games that would leave us with 34 points required from those 16 games to equal what we did in 1982.

Possible? You know it is. We have to win games though, maybe 10/11 to stand a chance. It''s a tall order but it can be done.

I know it, listen

Rome was not built in a day
Opposition will come your way
But the hotter the battle you see
It\''s the sweeter the victory, now

You can get it if you really want - I know it
You can get it if you really want - though I show it
- so don''t give up now

[/quote]

Very good nutty.

Did you know that Bob Marley loved football almost more than music?

In this life, in this life, in this life,
In this, oh sweet life:
We''re (we''re coming in from the cold);
We''re coming in (coming in), coming in (coming in),
coming in (coming in), coming in (coming in),
Coming in from the cold.

Early days yet, but.............

OTBC

Rod Stewart once quoted as saying "though i love my music and i love my women, football will always be the first love" never a truer word spoken!

jas :)

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

We don''t really need other teams to stumble. We ''just'' need to do our part get 73-75 points.

OTBC

[/quote]

Now you lovely old boys , of course you know arrdees pet hate its stumble bum strikers .

I can see clearly now

the rain has gone .

[;)] arrdee.

What a cheerful thread.

I''ll just say that, wherever we finish this season, Roeder has restored pride, fun and that great word ''togetherness'' back to Carrow Road.

In October, this looked like being the most miserably season ever (and that''s saying something).

But I''m enjoying it now.

Fozzy running to take a corner against Leicester in front of the Snakepit, being greeted with chants of "Fozzy, Fozzy, Fozzy" and a huge grin breaking out on his face. That sums it up for me.

On the ball, City.

Cheerful, yes.

But we still need to get in that strong, pacy striker on loan.

And we must demand that the board supports Glenn''s quest sufficiently so that we can get in quality - even if it costs a bit more than they would really like.

It''s called ''ambition with prudence''. We''ve already obviously lost the proven Taylor to ''prudence with ambition''. I say lost deliberately because it was demonstrably a situation that was ours to win.

As Jimmy Cliff also sang, nutty:

You can get it if you really want                                                                                                                - so don''t give up now.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Did you know that Bob Marley loved football almost more than music?

In this life, in this life, in this life,
In this, oh sweet life:
We''re (we''re coming in from the cold);
We''re coming in (coming in), coming in (coming in),
coming in (coming in), coming in (coming in),
Coming in from the cold.

Early days yet, but.............

OTBC

[/quote]

I  know you often reference the late great Bob Marley[*] in your posts Bly even down to One Love and No Woman No Cry.[8] I used to wonder if you were stuck in Jamaica watching it on the wireless [ip][co]

But surely you remember the times we had great second half of the season runs leading to tales of the unexpected [:^)]

If you know your history,
Then you would know where you coming from,
Then you wouldn''t have to ask me,
Who the ''eck do I think I am.

The great man was a Spurs fan I think, but only because of Ossie Ardilles [*]