Sign in to follow this  
LeedsYellow

Glen - Please don't sour the Huckerby era

To keep the Hucks debate in perspective you have to look at it from Roeders point of view. His mandate I imagine was first, to avoid relegation and secondly to reach the play-offs if possible. He''s well on the way to achieving his first objective and each week people are daring to whisper the second.

To turn these dreams into reality he knows he must play his BEST team and if this doesn''t include Hucks at the moment so be it. It''s down to the player to prove to Roeder that he is fit and wants it enough to put him back in the side.

Lets face it, the position we are in at the moment is that a couple of wins can see us up with the teams at the top, conversely two defeats would put us back down towards the relegation zone. If Hucks was picked on reputation alone and we did suffer a couple of losses can you imagine the outcry from fans?

Glenn Roeder is paid to manage the team and his reputation hangs or falls by his decisions as do our hopes and aspirations.

Hopefully Hucks can get back to his best form and therefore makes it impossible for Roeder to leave him out. That would be a perfect answer to the end of the season and his career!

[quote user="sxcanaree"]

Please read the quotes rather than the article which in my opinion is yet another story out of nothing;

Quote 1: “He was fit - he just wasn''t selected,” said manager Glenn Roeder

Quote 2: “There is loads of competition now down the left side, especially with Kieran Gibbs here as well. He can play left back and wide on the left - he''s one of Arsene''s highly-talented young players, one of the youngest he has got, but huge things are expected of Kieran.”

Quote 3: “As I said to the two boys who never even made the bench today, Alex Pearce and Kieran Gibbs, they are here to play,” said Roeder. “After I named the team and subs I took them into my office and said, ''you are not here to be on the bench, you are here to play, but we have only had you for one day, show a little bit more patience'', which is not a problem for them, ''and you will be playing''.

Not once does he say Hucks'' career here is over.

He is simply reporting facts - Hucks was fit but not selected and we have loads of competition on the left hand side of the pitch.

As per the excellent interview that Hucks gave the press last week he appreciates that he and Dion are not the future of the club but, the fact that Hucks was fulsome in his praise of Glenn in the interview makes this message thread and the article that precipitated it complete hogwash.

The reason why Hucks'' contract expires at the end of the season was well documented last year. - He requested this as he may wish to retire. Glenn made it quite clear that there would be no contract talks for anyone until we are safe from relegation and we are not there yet - so there is no snub over the future.

Sorry, but with the transfer window closed and no matches this week the Journos have made up their own story to fill the page -There could equally be an upbeat one about how Hucks is relishing the challenge for places now he does not have to carry the left midfield burden on his shoulders and that he is raring to go (as per his interview) but appreciates that when the side is winning it is harder to get in to the team especially as you get older - but that is not good copy.  

When Glenn says "he does not figure in my plans" then there is a need to respond but not now.

OTBC

[/quote]

Nice one, the most sensible post on this thread. Some people really need to stop trying to make mountains out of mole hills and let Roeder carry on with the great work that he''s doing.

Well said Leeds Yellow

Hux is and always will be a legend as far as I am concerned, without him, it could be argued, we would not have enjoyed the success we had a few years ago, he stuck with us when It would have been easier to "fly from the nest"  and I frimly believe he still has a part to play in what will undoutbly become a successful future.

Huckerby is no longer a guarenteed starter, i think all fans can accept and undertsand Glen Roeders decision on that, but he still has enough quality, if he has sorted out his hip problems to casue havoc coming off the bench. Saturday was crying out for Hucks, as was the Leicester game as will many more before the end of the season.

I THINK THAT IT IS OUT OF ORDER TO SLAG THE NEW MANAGER.

IF WE HAD CARRIED ON LIKE WE WERE WE WOULD HAVE BEEN RELEGATED ALREADY.

I DO FEEL THAT WORTHINGTON AND GRANT TALKED TOO MUCH, OFTEN WITHOUT THINKING.

I FEAR THAT MR ROEDER MAY BE STARTING TO DO THAT.

HUCKS HAS BEEN A REAL FAVOURITE HERE.

WE CAN NOT PLAY HIM AND CROFT IN THE SAME TEAM, IF WE KEEP THEM WIDE.

RECENTLY DARREN DOES NOT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN DOING IT.

IF HE WAS NOT FIT OR WAS HIDING AN INJURY WE DO NOT KNOW.

IF HE IS FIT, AND HIS MIND IS RIGHT, HE WOULD GET IN MY TEAM EVERY TIME. HE SHOULD BE PICKED

AHEAD OF CROFT.

PERHAPS SWORDS HAVE BEEN CROSSSED AT COLNEY.  

It is also out of order to post in capital lock, its taken as shouting on forums and very difficult to read.

so if roeder picks Hux and he gets clattered as he frequently does and his hip is damaged to the extent that he never plays again for us due to injury, roeder would still get it in the neck!! this is unreal all this roeder bashing, tell u what lets bring back grant cos he was nicer to darren!!!

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

He''s a true City legend and he loves this club and we love him.

[/quote]

Yes, agreed.  But the hero worship and "one man team" attitude it carries with it stinks, and Roeder is right to try and stamp it out.

The title of your thread - "The Huckerby Era..." - shows part of the problem here.  Norwich City didn''t have a Huckerby Era any more than Manchester United had a "Cantona Era" or Arsenal had "the Henry Years".  It''s a team game.  Everyone seems to know that except Huckerby''s agent and possibly the man himself.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

Yes, agreed.  But the hero worship and "one man team" attitude it carries with it stinks, and Roeder is right to try and stamp it out.

The title of your thread - "The Huckerby Era..." - shows part of the problem here.  Norwich City didn''t have a Huckerby Era any more than Manchester United had a "Cantona Era" or Arsenal had "the Henry Years".  It''s a team game.  Everyone seems to know that except Huckerby''s agent and possibly the man himself.

[/quote]

To be honest Mister Chops, I find your post a touch contradictory. You agree Hux is a legend and that we (the fans) love him. But then you claim that hero worshipping stinks.

The point I was trying to express in my original post was simply my disappointment at the tension that seems to be simmering between Glen and Hux. I think it has the potential to undermine Huckerby''s final few months (or seasons) at the club.

I totally agree with some of the earlier comments that players should be picked on merit - I took that for granted to be honest. And I agree that Glen should make Hux fight for his place; but it seems to me that Glen''s trying to make a point by exerting his authority over a player who''s synonymous with NCFC, rather than putting an arm round him and encouraging him to get back to his best (like Fergie''s done with Giggs and Scholes in recent seasons).

I personally think that Hux has still got plenty to offer, but even if he hasn''t, I''d rather he was shown the same kind of encouragement and respect that Le Tissier and Steve Bull received during their latter years.  As far as I''m concerned, that means the manager coming out and talking-up the man who''s carried the club for the last 4 years, rather than continually talking-up the young ''prospects'' we have on loan from other clubs.

I''m one of the few people who was pleased when we appointed Glen Roeder and I''m even happier now with the job he''s doing.  However, I do feel uncomfortable with the manager''s approach towards Huckerby.  

Hopefully Glen will go on to show us the same kind of passion, commitment and loyalty that Hux has shown us over the last few years. In the meantime, I''d like to see the club, the manager and the fans all getting behind Huckerby and that we see him back to his best and in the first team very soon.

[quote user="LeedsYellow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The point I was trying to express in my original post was simply my disappointment at the tension that seems to be simmering between Glen and Hux. I think it has the potential to undermine Huckerby''s final few months (or seasons) at the club.

[/quote]I haven''t seen any evidence of this supposed tension, there''s just a paper trying to make up a story. Where has there been anything to suggest tension.So Glenn didnt select Huckerby for 1 game...that''s not anything too bad to start with.He''s asked about it (he didn''t come to the press he was asked the question and he has to answer) and he has two options: he could say he was fit and he wasn''t selected, or he was unfit and unable to play.He could have told us he was unfit, and that would have seen the fans appeased, but probably ended up with Huckerby fuming at the office door wondering why Glenn''s claiming he''s unfit when he isnt.Or he could tell the truth, and say he wasn''t selected, which he did. And that''s the only mention of it: he wasn''t selected for ONE game.

Big Deal

[quote user="LeedsYellow"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be honest Mister Chops, I find your post a touch contradictory. You agree Hux is a legend and that we (the fans) love him. But then you claim that hero worshipping stinks.

[/quote]

I take your point, but I think people can accept that legends are still part of an eleven man team.  I don''t see the contradiction.  Hero worship is fine to a point, but it has to be within the context of the team, and the club - it''s not about the individual.  Increasingly, Huckerby cuts an isolated figure on the pitch and off it.

I agree I''d like to see him back in the team, even if it''s for 30 minute cameos.  But he has to play as part of the team, and too often this season he''s tried to do it all himself.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

But he has to play as part of the team, and too often this season he''s tried to do it all himself.

[/quote]

Maybe when things were not going so well he felt he was doing it all by himself so he now has to change his mind set and realise he is valued but so are others.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Do you realise you are talking about a full grown mature man CA and not a pre-school child?[/quote]

I wouldn''t put Hucks in that bracket Mr Hucker sir, but some players behave like spoilt little kids at times.[:|]