Sign in to follow this  
LeedsYellow

Glen - Please don't sour the Huckerby era

Glen - you''re doing an absolutely awesome job, turning us from relegation certainties to play-off outsiders with literally no budget. Nobody (and I mean nobody) could have done a more impressive job and you''re undoubtedly going to earn ''City legend'' status in your own right.

However, please do not take the glister off things by being anything other than hugely supportive of Hux.

Huckerby''s been our hero for too long, leading us to the Premiership and equally, been our glimmer of hope during the dark ages. He''s sacrificed financial gain... turned down offers to play for bigger clubs... broken ranks to speak out against the sale of players... decried lack of funds... fallen out with his agent... He''s one of us; a fan.

Even now, when his contract has not been renewed, he''s come out and pledged his loyalty and commitment to NCFC - so please do not score points at Huckerby''s expense; do not talk about Huckerby to the press (unless you''re signing his praises); do not make him feel under valued; do not humiliate him.

Put your arm around him, encourage him and tell him his future''s at Carrow Road - on or off the pitch and do not let him leave the club.

He''s a true City legend and he loves this club and we love him.

Its True, it would be a shame.

However there is no room for sentiment in todays game.

I thought Croft was turd on saturday, wouldnt mind going with our one winger a hux for Cardiff.

It going to be a very tough game.

It''s a huge problem though, isn''t it?

It''s the TEAM that matters & Glenn MUST be seen to be giving equal opportunities to all players.

I think you''ll find he has stated his awareness of Hux''s awesome abilities - & I would guess that he has had conversations with him about the future of NCFC.

I am sure Hux is plenty man enough to understand the situation & knows his involvement as a player will necessarily decline as time goes by - it cannot be otherwise. He''s one of those rare things - a phenomenally gifted individual who is a genuine team player. I feel certain he & Glenn understand each other.

[quote user="YellowIce"]

Its True, it would be a shame.

However there is no room for sentiment in todays game.

[/quote]

Sadly, very true Ice.

Hucks is a legend, but the team performance comes first....unbeaten in 11 games doesn''t lie.

The game was crying out for him on Saturday. Croft and Bertrand just didn''t know what to do with the ball in the penalty area. I lost count of the times I said to myself that ''if that was Huckerby''. I still see a place for him and I would hate for all boats to be burnt.

Whats a great post LeedsYellow, maybe you should email that to Glenn on our behalf or send it to the EEN for the readers letters page

[quote user="ron obvious"]

It''s a huge problem though, isn''t it?

It''s the TEAM that matters & Glenn MUST be seen to be giving equal opportunities to all players.

I think you''ll find he has stated his awareness of Hux''s awesome abilities - & I would guess that he has had conversations with him about the future of NCFC.

I am sure Hux is plenty man enough to understand the situation & knows his involvement as a player will necessarily decline as time goes by - it cannot be otherwise. He''s one of those rare things - a phenomenally gifted individual who is a genuine team player. I feel certain he & Glenn understand each other.

[/quote]

I don''t disagree with you Ron - if Hux isn''t in form, he shouldn''t play. Simple as that.  No special treatment in that respect.  And Hux wouldn''t want such treatment.

It just worries me when I read headlines like the one on the Pink Un this morning, followed by "Darren Huckerby''s career as a Norwich City player is in danger of coming to an ignominious end." 

Hopefully it''s just sensationlist reporting, but I would love Glen to come and say something like "Huckerby''s got nothing to prove to anyone at NCFC... I just want him fit and in form so we can get him back in the team.." 

I don''t think it''s sentimental - I think it''s deserved. 

[quote user="cityangel"]Whats a great post LeedsYellow, maybe you should email that to Glenn on our behalf or send it to the EEN for the readers letters page[/quote]

I would be happy to CityAngel if it''s representative of a few posters'' views.  But how?!! 

Sorry to appear helpless, but being Leeds born and bred I''m about as Norfolkish as Hong Kong Canary and don''t read the EDP!

Typical Roeder crap,building up unknown premier players and forgetting about real Norwich greats. Roeder is starting to seriously get up my nose

It''s a letter that I would certainly put my name to - for what that''s worth. There is no doubt in my mind that Hucks still has a huge amount to offer to this club. I hope that this isn''t going to be his last season, but if it is I would wind him up and let him go. If Glenn insists on playing only one out and out wide player, I would not be averse to seeing Hucks through the middle...let''s not forget how well he did for Man City in that role, not to mention his success in leading the line after Earnie''s injury just last season. If we have a problem finding the net - and we do seem to - I''m pretty sure Hucks could solve it...wouldn''t it be marvellous to see him turn on the style one last time! Let the dog see the rabbit, Glenn!

Yes, how dare he drag us out of the gutter and not play a player who is leaving in the summer anyway.....

[quote user="sandboy"]Typical Roeder crap,building up unknown premier players and forgetting about real Norwich greats. Roeder is starting to seriously get up my nose[/quote]

[quote user="sandboy"]Typical Roeder crap,building up unknown premier players and forgetting about real Norwich greats. Roeder is starting to seriously get up my nose[/quote]

100% agree with you sack Roader now he is a total  failure. Start a campaign to bring back Peter Grant. At  the next home games we can chant '' sack that  t*** Roeder bring back Grant''.  

If Hucks is good enough, he''ll play. If he isn''t, he won''t. We have at last got a manager who is prepared to stand up to him a will pick a team that is in the best interests of the club. Huckerby knows he has no influence on a Roeder, and it should be that way with all players.

What Huckerby has done in the past [or for that matter any other player] has no relevance. It is the here and now that matters. If Roeder had the naive sentimentality that some posters have, we would still be in the sh**.

We have a manager that doesn''t suffer fools and for that we should be extremely grateful. Players will play on merit and NOTHING else, which can only be good for NCFC.

Huckerby was awesome when he first arrived and virtually got us promoted on his own, even though we had decent players. I''ve never seen a single player have such an effect to a football team in any league.

However that was then. If Huckerby wants to stay at Carrow Road, the only way this is going to happen is if he accepts a sizeable pay-cut, which I just can''t see. Huckerby contract stats that if any player comes to the club on higher wages than him, he must have parity. That can no longer be included in any new deal that may be offered to him.

My money is on him going abroad - fitness permitting, which is what I think he should do, instead of continuing to decline at Norwich which nobody wants to see. We all want the best for Huckerby and for NCFC, but none of us can afford to live on past memories...

Sandboy. He as already got up mine. He has done great job with results, noone can think otherwise. I just hope he doesn''t tear the heart out of the club. If results turn he is in serious danger of alienating a lot of supporters.

You cant be serious.......you must be a binner.

Roeder has done nothing but the best at this club since he got here so dont start on him.

As for Hux he has been on decline for the last season but thats not to say he hasnt got a part to play however that is only a bit part now.

Last 30 mins or so he would still turn any defence.

Couldn''t agree more with all that''s been said, a great player on the pitch and an honest one off the pitch, some may criticize some of the things he''s said but he has always been right or proven to be right every time, I can live with that honesty, not sure G R can though.

Hucks should not get picked to start just because of who he is and I think for the remainder of the season his role may be largely from the bench. i also think he''ss go to America in the summer and I hope he does as it will be the right time for him to leave us.

However up until he leaves he is at least worthy of a place on the bench and I agree with all those posting above when i say I really, really hope that Glen is not going to use this situation to exert his authority over the squad or to make a point. Hucks on the bench makes enough of a point whilst still meaning we have a player to come on who, on his day, can still tear apart any side in the Championship.We only have 3 months left of Hucks and I for one would rather see him playing than some 18 year old kid from Reading who we have no chance of signing anyway!

the managers job is to manage...

he shouldnt perhaps speak to the press Ala Peter Grant about certain players...

If Darren Huckerby no longer has a future at Norwich City Roeder should perhaps tell Darren Privately, thank him for his time, and wish him all the best.. before announcing the press that he no longer has a future at Carrow road and that the club wishes him all the best for the future whatever he chooses to do or ends up playing.

LeedsYellow, I agree with your post 100% & I have been thinking the exact same thing! Hucks is a legend & we could have done with his creativity Saturday afternoon. With half an hour to go the last thing Preston players would have wanted to see was Darren Huckerby with fresh legs running at them! He is surely too good to be left out of the XV1 

[quote user="tribes"]Sandboy. He as already got up mine. He has done great job with results, noone can think otherwise. I just hope he doesn''t tear the heart out of the club. If results turn he is in serious danger of alienating a lot of supporters.[/quote]

If it alienates supporters like you living in the past who gives one.

You keep all the old players and we will be in league 1.

Of course i love Hucks but the future is youth and quality.

Please read the quotes rather than the article which in my opinion is yet another story out of nothing;

Quote 1: “He was fit - he just wasn''t selected,” said manager Glenn Roeder

Quote 2: “There is loads of competition now down the left side, especially with Kieran Gibbs here as well. He can play left back and wide on the left - he''s one of Arsene''s highly-talented young players, one of the youngest he has got, but huge things are expected of Kieran.”

Quote 3: “As I said to the two boys who never even made the bench today, Alex Pearce and Kieran Gibbs, they are here to play,” said Roeder. “After I named the team and subs I took them into my office and said, ''you are not here to be on the bench, you are here to play, but we have only had you for one day, show a little bit more patience'', which is not a problem for them, ''and you will be playing''.

Not once does he say Hucks'' career here is over.

He is simply reporting facts - Hucks was fit but not selected and we have loads of competition on the left hand side of the pitch.

As per the excellent interview that Hucks gave the press last week he appreciates that he and Dion are not the future of the club but, the fact that Hucks was fulsome in his praise of Glenn in the interview makes this message thread and the article that precipitated it complete hogwash.

The reason why Hucks'' contract expires at the end of the season was well documented last year. - He requested this as he may wish to retire. Glenn made it quite clear that there would be no contract talks for anyone until we are safe from relegation and we are not there yet - so there is no snub over the future.

Sorry, but with the transfer window closed and no matches this week the Journos have made up their own story to fill the page -There could equally be an upbeat one about how Hucks is relishing the challenge for places now he does not have to carry the left midfield burden on his shoulders and that he is raring to go (as per his interview) but appreciates that when the side is winning it is harder to get in to the team especially as you get older - but that is not good copy.  

When Glenn says "he does not figure in my plans" then there is a need to respond but not now.

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the managers job is to manage...

he shouldnt perhaps speak to the press Ala Peter Grant about certain players...

If Darren Huckerby no longer has a future at Norwich City Roeder should perhaps tell Darren Privately, thank him for his time, and wish him all the best.. before announcing the press that he no longer has a future at Carrow road and that the club wishes him all the best for the future whatever he chooses to do or ends up playing.

[/quote]For once Jas, we agree [:)]If GR doesn''t have a use for DH, then the best thing for Darren and the club is for Darren to get regular games to keep fit elsewhere, and getting him off the wage bill wouldn''t hurt either if he has no purpose here.

then surely huckerby shouldnt go to the press either stating how he has carried the attack for 4 years? ffs just get over it hes ONE man and last time i counted we played with ELEVEN! all this is getting out of hand, huckerby is just sulking cos he thinks HE IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB. when the next hero comes along hux will be consigned to history the same as others, the only difference is they havent made statements about how great they have been.

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

[quote user="cityangel"]Whats a great post LeedsYellow, maybe you should email that to Glenn on our behalf or send it to the EEN for the readers letters page[/quote]

I would be happy to CityAngel if it''s representative of a few posters'' views.  But how?!! 

Sorry to appear helpless, but being Leeds born and bred I''m about as Norfolkish as Hong Kong Canary and don''t read the EDP!

[/quote]

For the Eastern Daily Press its EDPLetters@archant.co.uk and for the Evening news  its eveningnewsletters@archant.co.uk

I hope you don''t mind but I''ve put your post in the main ncfc website giving you full credit of course[:D]

Youth and quality? What you mean like Pattison? The youth players are on loan , we have not bought them. We don''t know how good they are yet, it is just a perception supporters have.

All the young players will be going back and what will he do next year?

While we are winning keep the same team and squad. The minute mid-table is certain, play Hucks up front or significant time off the bench. Give him the send-off he deserves.

I am not a binner as some think. I just see Roeder working a very short term strategy which may leave us safe, it may even lead to the playoffs, possibly the Premiership but I do not like his methods.Short loans and no spend are not the answer unless your name is Doncaster and you have an accountants mentality. We need investment in quality players with a visionary type of person at the helm. Roeders reign will end it short term success and he will be the only benficiary as he pops off back to the premiership. Enjoy the limited success but it will end in tears.   

I am no binner either but what you have just said I have been thinking for a few weeks now. I dislike his methods intensely and also fear it will all end in tears. Anyway only time will tell.

After reading some posters on here saying they are not happy with GR, what would exactly make you happy?  Were you happy facing relegation?  Or are you happier now where we are?  Or would you sooner just turn fans to hating GR because of the awful mistake he made of saving this club from relegation, and an even more sinful matter of not playing Hucks?  Get over yourselves and be thankful we even have GR to manage and steady our rocky ship.

I for one didn''t like the fact he got loan signings in the TW, however you have to trust GR knows what he is doing, he must be doing something right for us to be where we are now and not lumbering in the bottom of the fizzy drinks league table.