Sign in to follow this  
we8wba

guardians top 10 players outside the premier 2008

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/02/04/the_10_best_players_below_the.html.

1. Zoltan Gera, West Bromwich Albion (Age 28)

If your parents decide to name you Zoltan, you have little choice but to do something great with your life. Zoltan the Magnificent: yes. Zoltan the Crap: no. Fortunately for Mr and Mrs Gera, their son is captain of Hungary and one of the most complete attacking midfielders in the Football League - he''s intelligent and unselfish, he scores goals and he sets goals up. On his day, of which there have been many so far this season, he is too good for the Championship.

2. Michael Kightly, Wolverhampton Wanderers (22)

The Basildon-born winger was released by Spurs as a schoolboy, then shown the door by Southend at 19. Lesser players might have looked for a new career. Not Kightly, whose dazzling form for Grays in the Conference earned him a move to Wolves in 2007. His obvious desire to prove the doubters wrong is reminiscent of Kevin Phillips (another who rebuilt his career from the non-League up), while his pace and blood-twisting runs have prompted comparisons to Ryan Giggs.

3. Danny Shittu, Watford (27)

Wise man say: you don''t go through Shittu, you go around him. The Nigerian central defender is built like an NFL linebacker, and then some. No forward in the world has the strength to outmuscle him. But there is more to his game than power. He''s tidy on the ground, great in the air - as you would expect of someone who is 6ft 3in - and has already scored several crucial goals this season, often from set pieces. The worst job in football? Marking Danny Shittu at corners and free-kicks.

4. Michael Mifsud, Coventry City (26)

Malta''s most famous player may never get a chance to play in the top flight; he is 5ft 5in, which hardly fits the powerhouse template for the modern Premier League forward. But ''The Mosquito'' makes up for his lack of inches by buzzing in and around the area, annoying the hell out of defenders twice his size. He scored twice at Old Trafford in September, to knock Manchester United out of the Carling Cup, then repeated the giant-killing feat with two goals at Blackburn in the FA Cup last month.

5. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Wolverhampton Wanderers (21)

But for a broken leg, suffered in 2005 while playing for Manchester United''s reserves, Ebanks-Blake would probably be a Premier League regular by now. But the Cambridge-born forward''s career is back on track. ''He''s got power, he''s got pace, he''s hungry to make a reputation,'' says Ian Holloway, the manager who brought him to Plymouth, for £200,000, in 2006. His 21 goals in 49 league starts there made it impossible to hold on to him and Wolves signed him for £1.5m last month.

6. Joe Ledley, Cardiff City (21)

Premier League clubs crave versatile players. It''s no longer good enough to be a one-position pony; every manager in the top division wants a Michael Essien, someone who can fill in almost anywhere on the pitch and not look out of place - a super-utility player. Ledley is no Essien, but has proved already that he can play in central midfield, on the left wing - his best position - and at left-back. Everton have shown an interest in the Wales international, whose all-round talent demands a bigger audience.

7. Andrew Surman, Southampton (21)

''I would like to say that me and Ronaldinho are very similar players, but I think I might get a bit of stick for that.'' Yes Andrew, you might. Surman is long on confidence (it helps that he is blessed with the sort of clean-cut, boy-band looks that would attract the highest calibre of Wag) and that''s why he will go far. Born in Johannesburg to British parents, the attacking midfielder is qualified to play for South Africa but thankfully he looks set to choose England, whom he has represented at under-21 level.

8. Jermaine Beckford, Leeds United (24)

In terms of raw material, Beckford is the ideal modern forward: tall (6ft 2in), quick, powerful and with a natural eye for goal (he''s the leading scorer in League One this season). He''s also capable of scoring sublime, instinctive goals - see his effort for Scunthorpe, where he played on loan in 2007, against Rotherham, when a reverse dragback was followed by a clinical, curling finish into the top corner. If he can find a way to do that every week, then Premier League clubs will take note.

9. Kelvin Wilson, Nottingham Forest (22)

Forest fans used to chant, proudly: ''You''ll never beat Des Walker''. Now they have another precocious centre-back to sing about, although ''You''ll never beat Kelvin Wilson'' doesn''t scan as well. Wilson is Nottingham-born and started his career with Notts County, before moving to Preston. He rejected a bid from Leeds in 2007, despite having agreed personal terms, in favour of a return to his home town. Strengths? Great recovery pace, composure on the ball and excellent timing in the tackle.

10. Billy Jones, Preston North End (20)

Meet the next Tony Adams. Or the next Jamie Carragher. From the defenders that Jones has been compared to during his short career, you get the picture - he''s an uncomplicated centre-back with an old-fashioned name, not afraid to clear his lines by blasting the ball into Row Z. That said, he has also played in central midfield and at full-back, so it''s unfair to label him one-dimensional. He''s a natural leader and has captained England at every age group up to under-20.

Click here for more from this month''s Observer Sport Monthly

anyone you agree or disagree with? gera i wasnt to sure with, think morrison of baggies is better. glad ledley and surman are in and getting some recognition as well wolves two

I''d have included the whole Wolves team. They''re great. I love Wolves and am going to stop supporting City because we8wba''s eloquent, subtle posts have convinced me that those crazy West Midlands men in gold are who I should be supporting.

I''m going to go and join a Wolves message board now and start posting on there all day long too, in the hope that I can ingratiate myself with them.

Beckford i dont trust anyone with that name anyway! and a freind who is a Leeds fan says he is a good player at the current level but nowhere near premier standard and might struggle if Leeds go up!  Misfud is ok nothing more. Know nothing about the Preston or Forest lads so cant comment there.

Ledley/Gera/Surman/Kightly look pretty classy  Shittu decent defender.

Just off the top of my head i would have considered Hudson at Palace, Phillips and Brunt at WBA, Gray now at Charlton??, Hoolahan at Blackpool, Johnson at Bristol City and Shawcross at Stoke.

Out of our players i suppose best at the moment are Fozzy/Dion and Crofty....

Here is the top bit, for all those who cannot be bothered to click on the link above:

"This list is more about potential than experience. Who is one good performance away from a £40,000-a-week contract and the Wag that comes with it? There is deliberately no place for players over the age of 30, or those who have played more than two seasons in the top flight. So Kevin Phillips (West Brom) and James Beattie (Sheffield United), both former England internationals to boot, are ineligible. The same goes for Robbie Fowler, now seeing out his career on Cardiff City''s treatment table. Players on loan from top-flight clubs are also excluded - including future stars such as QPR''s Scott Sinclair (on loan from Chelsea), Wolves'' Darron Gibson or Hull''s Fraizer Campbell (both Manchester United). I considered reserving a spot for John Bostock, Crystal Palace''s 16-year-old prodigy, but his time will come. Oh, and if this had been an XI rather than a 10, I would have included a goalkeeper, either Casper Ankergren at Leeds, or David Marshall at Norwich."

thank last poster, i would quite happily have 1player in there like wba and be top of the league not 10th or whatever

im not boasting wanted views on who you think should be there.

also the comments of people underneath are intresting many saying marshall other saying keogh who shouldnt be in my opinion.

hoolahan i would have in

as to phillips bit it say 2 or more years in prem excluded, so gera shouldnt really be in it

anyone rate ankergram? i much rather have marshall, hennessey, myhill, basso and quite few others

mifsud - yeah right, the pocket rocket ran bout loads at carra, but carried no threat.   as for  e-b, he scored his goals at plymouth, not always certain to carry on this form at wolves (see f.eastwood), but deserves inclusion.also i didn''t expect to see a naaarwich player - or an ipswich one, is that fair with them in the top 6.  how bout bristol city??? top 3 all season!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]mifsud - yeah right, the pocket rocket ran bout loads at carra, but carried no threat.   as for  e-b, he scored his goals at plymouth, not always certain to carry on this form at wolves (see f.eastwood), but deserves inclusion.

also i didn''t expect to see a naaarwich player - or an ipswich one, is that fair with them in the top 6.  how bout bristol city??? top 3 all season!!!
[/quote]

LGT what are you talking about?! Super Michael Mifsud didnt play at CR this yr, he was suspended following gettin sent off against WBA! So I really dont know what your on about!

Not being biased just because i am Maltese, but the boy is class. He proved this against Blackburn/Man Yoo in the cup and he has also scored 16 this year..not bad for a man who carries no threat!

[quote user="we8wba"]

ankergram of leeds

[/quote]

he isn''t a bloody word puzzle, it''s Ankergren

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]mifsud - yeah right, the pocket rocket ran bout loads at carra, but carried no threat.   as for  e-b, he scored his goals at plymouth, not always certain to carry on this form at wolves (see f.eastwood), but deserves inclusion.

also i didn''t expect to see a naaarwich player - or an ipswich one, is that fair with them in the top 6.  how bout bristol city??? top 3 all season!!!
[/quote]

I assume you are referring to last season as he was suspended for this seasons game!!

I think there must be some kind of mistake, although he has moved on what about Ian (The Marvel) Murray, and where on earth is Hartson?

Almost meaningless really. There''s no point in having the 11 best players on the pitch unless they''re playing as a team and  compliment each other. 11 average players,  as a team, will be far more successful. By that, I mean for example, a midfield with two creative players and two battlers. A tall strong forward with a shorter, pacey one with a good shot. A  defence where the players know what the other plan to do with the ball. Andy Linnegan & Ian Butterworth were good in that respect.

Ok; following those same rules, here''s mine. Please note they''re not in any order.

1. Michael Kightly - Wolves
2. Chris Brunt - WBA
3. Joe Ledley - Cardiff
4. Jonathan Walters - Scum
5. Akos Buzsaky - QPR
6. Ben Watson - Palace
7. Ricardo Fuller - Stoke
8. Chris Iwelumo - Charlton
9. Steve Simonsen - Stoke
10. Andrew Surman - Southampton

[quote user="Wings"]

Ok; following those same rules, here''s mine. Please note they''re not in any order.

2. Chris Brunt - WBA
3. Joe Ledley - Cardiff
5. Akos Buzsaky - QPR
6. Ben Watson - Palace

[/quote]

You had to have a wolves player didnt you?!

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="we8wba"]

gera i wasnt to sure with, think morrison of baggies is better

[/quote]

Gera is exactly where he belongs on that list. He''s meticulously accurate, highly creative, and his work ethics is second to none. Check him dispossessing Cannavaro.   http://videa.hu/main.php?page=play&v=LSrHh3ElOONfQko9

[/quote]

if you read the post, all players on list are meant to have less than 2years minimum in the prem which is why i presume morrison not there but never should gera as he had least 2years in the prem

[quote user="Wings"]

2. Chris Brunt - WBA
3. Joe Ledley - Cardiff
5. Akos Buzsaky - QPR
6. Ben Watson - Palace

[/quote]

thats better list in spread of players

ledley kightly walters brunt deserveto be there

surman i would banged in, if saying fit players then murray is better goalie than simonsen as proven last year in the clean sheets and awards, but suppose injuries gone angaist him and he become somewhat the forgotten man! fuller really rated when pne but gone down hill with his injuries still threat but could think several strikers better. iwelumo decent enough

watson probably deserves to be there, buzarsky is good enough as well

I based that list on my own experiences of players who play against us. Simonsen has always impressed me whenever he''s come to Carrow Road. Murray I''ve not seen enough to judge. Fuller again has impressed whenever I''ve seen him.

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="we8wba"]

gera i wasnt to sure with, think morrison of baggies is better

[/quote]

Gera is exactly where he belongs on that list. He''s meticulously accurate, highly creative, and his work ethics is second to none. Check him dispossessing Cannavaro.   http://videa.hu/main.php?page=play&v=LSrHh3ElOONfQko9

[/quote]

if you read the post, all players on list are meant to have less than 2years minimum in the prem which is why i presume morrison not there but never should gera as he had least 2years in the prem

[/quote]

I''ve read it now. By that criteria he does not qualify indeed. He was injured during the most of his second Prem season, maybe that''s why he''s been included.     [:)]