Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

another loan?

Roeder has recently said that we have 7 out of a possible 8 loan signings and has openly said he would like another striker. David Nugent is still not playing at Portsmouth, and Portsmouth now have Defoe. Would it be possible to get Nugent on loan do you think? I am honestly sturggling to think of any other strikers we could realistically loan to improve our squad.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who you realistically think we could loan as a striker? - our weakness is clearly goals!

Nugent is injured at the moment.

As for signing a target man, I would rather we signed a striker with pace as this is the one thing we really lack currently.

Be easy to get carried away with the euphoria of so many loans as it does little for a future stable Norwich team. What we have now is largely a group of strangers with little long term loyalty to the club. Perhaps I am old fashioned by saying that in my opinion loyalty and stability are the cornerstones of success. What do you think?  

Would any of the following be realistic for the remainder of the season on loan?

Marlon Harewood or Luke Moore from Villa

Bobby Zamora from West Ham

Shola Ameobi from Newcastle

Jamie Clark from Blackburn

Also would it be possible to turn any new loan recruit from this window into a permanent signing?I was thinking about this the other day and it seems that you can do this outside of the transfer window - could be a way around the not permanent thing!

[quote]Perhaps I am old fashioned by saying that in my opinion loyalty and

stability are the cornerstones of success. What do you think?  [/quote]These days in a football team it appears you need competition for places in order to create a successful team.  30 or so years ago, squads were smaller, and blokes didn''t play for the money but for the badge and the love of the game.  Despite being paid a lot less, and having less of a celebrity status, the motivation to perform was still there in the 70s and 80s.  It seems that in order to get this generation of athletes to perform, you have to put their position under threat.  GR was right to bring the loans in, as he wouldn''t have been able to buy the quality he has brought in for any money - these players aren''t for sale, they are the future of their Premiership clubs.  Rather them than some of the dross sold in the January window.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

These days in a football team it appears you need competition for places in order to create a successful team.  30 or so years ago, squads were smaller, and blokes didn''t play for the money but for the badge and the love of the game.  Despite being paid a lot less, and having less of a celebrity status, the motivation to perform was still there in the 70s and 80s.  It seems that in order to get this generation of athletes to perform, you have to put their position under threat.  GR was right to bring the loans in, as he wouldn''t have been able to buy the quality he has brought in for any money - these players aren''t for sale, they are the future of their Premiership clubs.  Rather them than some of the dross sold in the January window.
[/quote]

That''s a great point well made Blah, and it makes me think of another point related to this. (It''s a little off topic for this thread, and for that I apologise)

As an non-English person living in England for the last 4 years, I feel I can talk about the England team quite well from an "outside looking in" perspective. I have heard many people claim the under performing of the England squad over the last 5 or so years is due to the numbers of foreigners playing in the English leagues these days. I have always disagreed with this theory, as I believe that the stronger the league, the stronger the players should develop into in order to achieve greatness. This clearly hasn''t happened though, and I used to think it was due to the money in the game. (i.e. its too easy now to make a great living being a mediocre footballer).

But I was thinking last night watching Capello''s first England team run around that the reasons Blah has mentioned above might have something to do with the failures of the England national team. The last 2 managers England has had were always very wary of making changes. Certainly in recent history, there has always been a core 5-8 players that were always down on the team sheet. Beckham. Gerrard. Owen. Rooney. Lampard et. al. allegedly picking themselves. Therefore, if I were a young England player, do I realistically have a chance of getting into the England squad? Not while Fat Frank and friends are clogging up the field! Where is the competition for places if the manager picks the same squad every time?

Capello last night proved that he would not be bound by any player reputation. Owen was on the bench. Mathew Upson gets rewarded for some good form, same with Ashley Young and David Bentley. With this kind of management style, Capello can create competition for places, almost the same way Roeder has done by bringing in new players on loan. Fringe players are going to work that bit harder if they think they have a realistic chance of a call-up, creating a much better squad as a result.

Of course its early days for Capello''s England, and time will tell if his methods are successful or not. From an outsider, I believe England have far more to be optimistic about now than they did with the Wally with the Brolly. Personally, I think the only way forward for any team is to make sure this competition for places exists in a squad, and to also eliminate the "this player picks themselves" scenario like Capello has done in his first England game - also the way Roeder has done so far with Huckerby.

[quote]Capello last night proved that he would not be bound by any player

reputation. Owen was on the bench. Mathew Upson gets rewarded for some

good form, same with Ashley Young and David Bentley.[/quote]I said the same thing last night to the missus about Jermaine Jenas, being a gunner she scowled at me, before begrudgingly agreeing that he''s been playing recently, at least I think that''s what she meant by "Hmmph."...