Sign in to follow this  
Freeza

Reserves attitude

I''ve just been watching the highlights from the reserve game on Canaries World and I''m very impressed with Paul Stephenson''s attitude towards the importance of reserve team football.

Glenn, Lee and Paul clearly take the polar opposite view to Peter Grant and see the value that a succesful reserve side has.

It keeps a winning momentum around the whole club and within the squad, it''s a fantastic opportunity for the kids to play against experienced pro''s (Luton had 6 or 7 on Tuesday) and vital in getting player''s fit mentally and physically (Gilksy and Martin being prime examples against Luton).

Stephenson is taking it very seriously, I''d imagine it''s good practice for him if he ever wants to make the step up to 1st team management anyway, and it seems there''s been a big shift in our reserve team''s performances and I''m pleased because if our reserves can''t put 7 past Grays and 5 past Luton, then it should be embarrasing and proof enough that they''re not good enough for Norwich City.

So to sum up, well done Glenn and Paul! :)

I don''t recall Grant''s opinion to the reserve leauge being the polar opposite. The only he problem he had with it is was the lack of games, which is why he arranged a for our reserves to play Spurs reserves and it was also why he was so keen to loan out as many youngsters as possible.

Excellent point, which is exactly why so many people are complaining about the standard of, and lack of, reserve team football.

How are fringe players, youngsters and players returning from injury supposed to get a competative run out and 90 mins match fitness if they rarely play, and when they do it''s against such opposition as Grays (no direspect intended). As you said, it''s great to see Glenn & Co taking it seriously.  Maybe they, and other like minded managers and coaches can apply some pressure and get a "proper" reserve league reinstated where we can, perhaps, play the other reserve teams from our own league on a more regular basis.

I don''t know what the rules are but are you allowed to arrange your own reserve fixtures with other clubs from the championship?

I think it''s done regionally because below the Championship many clubs can''t afford enough players to have a reserve team and can''t take risks on their senior players getting injuries or suspensions, let alone ferry their second string about long distances, Plymouth to Norwich etc

Which is a shame but unfortunately thats the state of the game''s finances now-a-days isn''t it!

[quote user="Freeza"]

I''ve just been watching the highlights from the reserve game on Canaries World.......

[/quote]I went to that game. They were really excellent, best performance I''ve seen from our reserves for a long time and apart from Gilks all kids too......

The "lack of reserve games" argument is a strange one.

How hard would it be for the club to arrange friendlys against local teams.

The argument could be made that the competition wouldnt be as strong..........................

Lets be serious, how much better are Grays reserves vs local teams Like Gt Yarmouth or Diss Town or even Kings Lynn ect ect.

Also its a win-win situation for us and the local clubs.

This would be an appealing fixture for local teams and a little boost to their finances as I am sure it would attract more fans than most of their regular fixtures.

They would get to play quality opposition while watching many first team squad members in action.

In return Norwich would get the extra games needed plus could stipulate unlimited subs as they do in pre-season friendly games.

This would give many players a chance to get some minutes under their belts. Especially first team squad members who have been on the bench a lot.

The main problem with this solution is that it makes too much sense!

I''m not too sure whether the respective leagues of the lower clubs would allow/be happy about it.It does appear that clubs like Norwich suffer through maintaining a reserve side whilst geographically being a bit out on a limb. However all the above does suggest that more work is being put in at every level. Success and winning appear now to be what''s expected, not what''s hoped for.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

The "lack of reserve games" argument is a strange one.

How hard would it be for the club to arrange friendlys against local teams.

The argument could be made that the competition wouldnt be as strong..........................

Lets be serious, how much better are Grays reserves vs local teams Like Gt Yarmouth or Diss Town or even Kings Lynn ect ect.

Also its a win-win situation for us and the local clubs.

This would be an appealing fixture for local teams and a little boost to their finances as I am sure it would attract more fans than most of their regular fixtures.

They would get to play quality opposition while watching many first team squad members in action.

In return Norwich would get the extra games needed plus could stipulate unlimited subs as they do in pre-season friendly games.

This would give many players a chance to get some minutes under their belts. Especially first team squad members who have been on the bench a lot.

The main problem with this solution is that it makes too much sense!

[/quote]

The main problem with this solution is that, particularly in the Ridgeons League for teams like Gt Yarmouth, Diss, also Dereham and Fakenham, most (I think nearly all) play two games a week regularly, one Saturday and one Tuesday/Wednesday.

Not sure they would be able to fit in a match against Norwich reserves at the same time.  So maybe that solution doesn''t make as much sense as you thought.

I agree that the standard of teams in the Ridgeons League cannot be much lower than Grays Reserves. Could Norwich pull their reserves out of the completely pointless reserve league and apply as a team in the Ridgeons League, plenty of regular football then? 

[quote user="Freeza"]

Which is a shame but unfortunately thats the state of the game''s finances now-a-days isn''t it!

[/quote]

Its shocking to think this is the state of the game at only Tier 2 level considering how many millions are pouring into Premiership teams pockets...

Pro''s dont like playing against lower league teams. They always have a point to prove and it ends up being none to pleasant all to often. Non League pitches struggle as it is so fixtures would most likely default to some turnip field somewhere.As for bumping up crowds, teams fans close to Norwich can see the our second string anytime - those further afield couldn''t give a stuff. At Luton on Tuesday there were maybe 50 people watching. Mind you, what a dump that is.....dont blame them.