Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Referee - Mr Singh

"Can you name one example of a gang of ''fanatical PC people'' (as you call them) beating up a person simply on the basis that they have different racial or cultural origins."

You are twisting the point here - too often there is a zeal* for words to be censored because of the fear of offence when those who are being protected will quite happily use the words to describe themselves. I want the rich tapestry of the English language back - One of my Mothers favourite phrases was "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" an adage that the PC brigade could do well to adopt.

It comes to something when the film of one of the greatest actions in the second world war is PC edited because the name of the jet black labrador dog that is used as a code word for success is now not acceptable - the word applied to the colour before it was applied to humans - the dog is a key part of the story as is his grave which is still tended to this day.

Getting back to the original subject Mr Singh is a crap referee - Period

Mr Singh was crap when he refereed the game against Charlton where, if you watch the highlights you can see that at the point of the second penalty his body langauge and behaviour clearly show that he is feeling intimidated and has lost the plot. I believe that it is at this point that he decides that if Dion does anything at all later in the game he will send him off - which is done some two minutes later for an innocuous foul.

I think since then Mr Singh has watched the replay of the Charlton game and decided that he may have been too strict hence the reason why he "saw no evil"** for the whole of Saturdays game.  For me the worst part of his display came near the end where a goal kick had been awarded and Marshall was waiting for the players to leave the area before taking the kick and he signalled that Marsh should hurry up and not timewaste...the delay was about 2 seconds...Fozzy gave him a lecture for it though!

This is nothing to do with his religion or ethnic origin its his behaviour on the pitch.

PC statements

*I apologize to any Zealots who are reading this I have no desire to belittle or demean your culture and values - its just that the word is part of the English langauge and I do not wish to offend.

**also just in case there are any any devil worshippers reading this, I am not stating that evil is necessarily wrong just that it is part of a phrase that is available within the lexicon.

[quote user="sxcanaree"]

"Can you name one example of a gang of ''fanatical PC people'' (as you call them) beating up a person simply on the basis that they have different racial or cultural origins."

You are twisting the point here - too often there is a zeal* for words to be censored because of the fear of offence when those who are being protected will quite happily use the words to describe themselves. I want the rich tapestry of the English language back - One of my Mothers favourite phrases was "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" an adage that the PC brigade could do well to adopt.

It comes to something when the film of one of the greatest actions in the second world war is PC edited because the name of the jet black labrador dog that is used as a code word for success is now not acceptable - the word applied to the colour before it was applied to humans - the dog is a key part of the story as is his grave which is still tended to this day.

Getting back to the original subject Mr Singh is a crap referee - Period

Mr Singh was crap when he refereed the game against Charlton where, if you watch the highlights you can see that at the point of the second penalty his body langauge and behaviour clearly show that he is feeling intimidated and has lost the plot. I believe that it is at this point that he decides that if Dion does anything at all later in the game he will send him off - which is done some two minutes later for an innocuous foul.

I think since then Mr Singh has watched the replay of the Charlton game and decided that he may have been too strict hence the reason why he "saw no evil"** for the whole of Saturdays game.  For me the worst part of his display came near the end where a goal kick had been awarded and Marshall was waiting for the players to leave the area before taking the kick and he signalled that Marsh should hurry up and not timewaste...the delay was about 2 seconds...Fozzy gave him a lecture for it though!

This is nothing to do with his religion or ethnic origin its his behaviour on the pitch.

PC statements

*I apologize to any Zealots who are reading this I have no desire to belittle or demean your culture and values - its just that the word is part of the English langauge and I do not wish to offend.

**also just in case there are any any devil worshippers reading this, I am not stating that evil is necessarily wrong just that it is part of a phrase that is available within the lexicon.

[/quote]

No I''m not. I''m challenging the observation that genuine racists are similar to PC zealots. They are different in both words and actions. I''m not twisting anything, I''m stating my opinion in direct reply to a statement that I thought (and still think) was preposterous.

You think they are very similar - fair enough, that''s your opinion. I think they''re very different. What am I twisting there?      

if we''re getting back to the original point of the thread (via weird, random rants about The Dambusters), then I thought that Mr Singh had an OK game on Saturday. (Wasn''t at Palace so can''t comment). I''ve certainly seen many worse refs at Carrow Road this reason.

I''ve yet to see a member of ''The PC Lobby'' give someone a good kicking due to their race or religion, so I would suggest that there is quite a large difference. What is ''PC'' anyway? As far as I can see it''s just an extension of the very old fashioned notion of having good manners. It''s just that where once we were told as youngsters to respect our elders, now we''re encouraged to show respect to everybody.

How I wish that was true! 

We''re now way off the subject of the original thread but...

PC is...

- Councils refusing to allow towns and villages to display Xmas decorations in fear of offending those with alternative religious beliefs

- Kids at school having to refer to a blackboard as a chalkboard, or use the term ''thoughtshower'' instead of ''brainstorm'' as this could offend sufferers of epilepsy

- Positive discrimination in the workplace resulting in employers hiring staff specifically from ethnic minorities for ''diversity'' purposes as opposed to hiring staff based on ability.

- The hanging of the ''St George Cross'' flag being deemed racist

- Signage around UK government buildings (hospitals, police stations etc) being in around 323 diferent languages 

''The PC Lobby'' may not be personally responsible for any real good kickings but can probably be accused of far worse. Over-accomodating extremist Islamic preachers or views has to be held partly responsible for the July 7th bombings, so does the result of that amount to in good kickings?

You think they are very similar - fair enough, that''s your opinion.

I think they''re very different. What am I twisting there?      

As

it was me you originally challenged - I''ve already stated the

similarities are the negative impact both groups have on society and

are equally annoying, that may sound preposterous to you, but for most

of us that''s a reality.As for PC groups beating up other groups etc, I think that little gem [or twist] was added by you?  -  Surely Chubby Checker had less twist than you macdougal!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]

You think they are very similar - fair enough, that''s your opinion. I think they''re very different. What am I twisting there?      

As it was me you originally challenged - I''ve already stated the similarities are the negative impact both groups have on society and are equally annoying, that may sound preposterous to you, but for most of us that''s a reality.
As for PC groups beating up other groups etc, I think that little gem [or twist] was added by you?  -  Surely Chubby Checker had less twist than you macdougal!
[/quote]

The only reason I said that is because that is in the abhorrent nature of such idiots and is the thing that I think makes them so different from PC zealots. That seems completely relevant to me!!

I repeat - you think they are similar, I think they are very different.

No twist, just a difference of opinion - can you handle that?   

[quote user="Stone"]

I''ve yet to see a member of ''The PC Lobby'' give someone a good kicking due to their race or religion, so I would suggest that there is quite a large difference. What is ''PC'' anyway? As far as I can see it''s just an extension of the very old fashioned notion of having good manners. It''s just that where once we were told as youngsters to respect our elders, now we''re encouraged to show respect to everybody.

How I wish that was true! 

We''re now way off the subject of the original thread but...

PC is...

- Councils refusing to allow towns and villages to display Xmas decorations in fear of offending those with alternative religious beliefs

- Kids at school having to refer to a blackboard as a chalkboard, or use the term ''thoughtshower'' instead of ''brainstorm'' as this could offend sufferers of epilepsy

- Positive discrimination in the workplace resulting in employers hiring staff specifically from ethnic minorities for ''diversity'' purposes as opposed to hiring staff based on ability.

- Signage around UK government buildings (hospitals, police stations etc) being in around 323 diferent languages 

''The PC Lobby'' may not be personally responsible for any real good kickings but can probably be accused of far worse. Over-accomodating extremist Islamic preachers or views has to be held partly responsible for the July 7th bombings, so does the result of that amount to in good kickings?

[/quote]

My grand daughter told me off weeks ago for singing bah bah black sheep, and said they weren''t allowed to sing that at school, it was now bah-bah rainbow sheep, lol gotta laugh.  Also a friend told me that locally the children were sent home from school with a letter explaining that they were withdrawing serving hot cross buns at school in case other belief systems might find the cross offensive.

Ok back to subject in hand, we were at said match where Mr Singh was ref, he didn''t have a god match to say the least.  It''s not a race issue at all, I am sure most fans would have said the same if he was white, orange or green.

[quote user="Stone"]

[/quote]

Since when has extradition for extraordinary rendition to countries which use all kinds of tortures which contravene  the Geneva convention and detention without charge been over-accomodation. Or perhaps you are suggesting that we adopt a legal system which has no absolutely regard for human rights (including yours by the way) - you''ll have to get back to us when you''ve developed plans for a workable form of thought police.

And I would suggest to you that the imperialistic warmongering of messers Bush and Blair might have had more than a little to do with July 7th.   

And, by the way, I think that militant Islamic extremists that are prepared to do that sort of thing are murdering sc*m before all the tired old rubbish about me being anti British gets trotted out. How do you suggest we identify and prosecute those who might be harbouring such ideologies - please enlighten me.  

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

and at the same time mentioned whether they have solicited views from the Norfolk Sikh community on this....just to get a bit of perspective!

WHY??

Were they at the football??

This is a thread about a referee at a football match.

[/quote]

Do you know that there weren''t any other Sikhs at the game?  They dont all wear ''hats'' you know?

Stone says

"PC is...

- Kids at school having to refer to a blackboard as a chalkboard, or use the term ''thoughtshower'' instead of ''brainstorm'' as this could offend sufferers of epilepsy

- Positive discrimination in the workplace resulting in employers hiring staff specifically from ethnic minorities for ''diversity'' purposes as opposed to hiring staff based on ability.

- Signage around UK government buildings (hospitals, police stations etc) being in around 323 diferent languages

''The PC Lobby'' may not be personally responsible for any real good kickings but can probably be accused of far worse. Over-accomodating extremist Islamic preachers or views has to be held partly responsible for the July 7th bombings, so does the result of that amount to in good kickings?"

I think you''ll find that a lot of what you quote as ''fact'' there is actually myth, created/repeated by papers like the Daily Mail so often that people just accept them as true.

I understand the point you are trying to make about extremist Islamic preachers being ''accommodated'' due to some kind of over-zealous ''PC''-ness but where these preachers break the law (through incitement of racial hatred) they are now prosecuted and - in some cases - deported. Surely, until they break the law they are exercising the right to free speech - the very thing you are claiming to have somehow lost.

On the original point, I don''t think Mr Singh is a great ref but (as others have said) we''ve had some awful refs this last few seasons. His ethnicity or religion is irrelevant. Sadly, some people obviously see it is an issue, as is evident from some of the comments on here and some of the ignorant/embarrassing chants at the game.

[quote user="we8wba"]

the person who came out and said it, replied and said he meant it as joke and not racial

may sound bit like that but the person cleared up the situation

end of topic

[/quote]

Dont you mean racist? Just being pedantic.......

It is a rare sight seeing a Sikh in a turban refereeing a football match. This is going to make people focus more on his performance - the same as when there was a female linesman, or commentator. It is likely a similar refereeing performance by your average 40 year old white ref would have got a few mutterings, but have passed with little comment.

[quote user="Stone"]

PC is...

1. Councils refusing to allow towns and villages to display Xmas decorations in fear of offending those with alternative religious beliefs

2. Kids at school having to refer to a blackboard as a chalkboard, or use the term ''thoughtshower'' instead of ''brainstorm'' as this could offend sufferers of epilepsy

3. Positive discrimination in the workplace resulting in employers hiring staff specifically from ethnic minorities for ''diversity'' purposes as opposed to hiring staff based on ability.

4. The hanging of the ''St George Cross'' flag being deemed racist

5. Signage around UK government buildings (hospitals, police stations etc) being in around 323 diferent languages 

6. ''The PC Lobby'' may not be personally responsible for any real good kickings but can probably be accused of far worse. Over-accomodating extremist Islamic preachers or views has to be held partly responsible for the July 7th bombings, so does the result of that amount to in good kickings?

[/quote]

Ooooh I do love a good debate about ''The PC Lobby'' [;)].

1. Care to provide a few examples? I''m not saying it''s never happened but if they''re isolated incidents surely they''re are just example of individuals making bad decisions rather than the influence of some mythical governmental lobby.

2. I agree that these examples are ridiculous, although they''re not really hurting anybody.

3. I don''t think you can really file this under ''PC gone mad'' without exploring the reasons why employers were encouraged to do this in the first place.

4. They''re not though are they. If we had qualified for Euro 2008 the country would have been awash with flags of St. George. My next door neighbour has one in his bedroom window and has yet to be told to take it down.

5. That must be one big sign [8-)]. The world is getting smaller and the easier it is to travel the more people will leave their home countries and travel the world. Why shouldn''t we make them feel welcome?

6. Absolutely ridiculous and just another example of people using ''The PC Lobby'' to abdicate personal responsibility. We shouldn''t really be surprised though when we live in a society where nobody wants to accept responsibility for their actions. Injured at work then blame your boss, fall over in the street then blame the council, rack up huge credit card bills and take out massive loans to go on holiday that you can''t afford to repay then blame Gordon Brown. I could get access via the internet to extreme Islamic sites and a lot more offensive stuff as well but I''ve yet to turn myself into a human bomb. Perhaps it''s just a matter of time and what we really need to do is ban the internet [:|].

Anyway, in an attempt to saddle up the topic horse and ride off into the sunset, I didn''t think Mr Singh was any worse than the usual clowns we get as refs at Carrow Road. But then I would say that, because I''m incredibly PC [;)].

''The PC Lobby'' may not be personally responsible

for any real good kickings but can probably be accused of far worse.

Over-accomodating extremist Islamic preachers or views has to be

held partly responsible for the July 7th bombings, so does the result

of that amount to in good kickings?

Since when has extradition for extraordinary rendition to countries

which use all kinds of tortures which contravene  the Geneva convention

and detention without charge been over-accomodation. Or perhaps you are

suggesting that we adopt a legal system which has no absolutely regard

for human rights (including yours by the way) - you''ll have to get back

to us when you''ve developed plans for a workable form of thought police.

And I would suggest to you that the imperialistic warmongering of

messers Bush and Blair might have had more than a little to do with

July 7th.   

And, by the way, I think that militant Islamic extremists that are

prepared to do that sort of thing are murdering sc*m before all the

tired old rubbish about me being anti British gets trotted out. How do

you suggest we identify and prosecute those who might be harbouring

such ideologies - please enlighten me.  

I don''t think anyone would necessarily accuse you of being anti British but you are incredibly naive, I''m guessing you don''t travel beyond the Norfolk boarder then Mcdougall?

[quote user="John Boubepo"] 

I don''t think anyone would necessarily accuse you of being anti British but you are incredibly naive, I''m guessing you don''t travel beyond the Norfolk boarder then Mcdougall?

[/quote]

Is this a joke?!?! If I''m being incredibly naive would you care to answer my question and enlighten me then? How do you propose that we become less accomodating - other than the obvious way of permanently harrassing and intimidating people who don''t look like you? I''m not being facetious by the way - got any ideas?

And, by the way, I''m guessing you don''t look beyond the borders of the Daily Mail.  

Macdougall, I can answer your question with one word and one example - AustraliaMuslims

who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of

Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential

terror attacks.
Separately,

Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy

agencies monitoring the nation''s mosques. Quote: ''IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS,

MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about

whether we are offending some individual or their culture.. Since the terrorist

attacks on
Bali

, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.''

''This

culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories

by millions of men and women who have sought freedom''

''We

speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian,

or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society .

Learn the language!''

''Most

Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political

push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles,

founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate

to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest

you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of

our culture.''

''We

will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you

accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.''

''This

is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every

opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and

griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I

highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

''THE

RIGHT TO LEAVE''.''

''If

you aren''t happy here then LEAVE. We didn''t force you to come here. You asked to

be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.''
All very simple really!!!! but then I don''t live in your country, I live in a country where it''s safe for my children to play out of sight, where my wife can walk safely at night, I never lock my door even if I''m away for the day, we don''t have any religious fanatics planning to bomb us, or organized Eastern European/African criminal gangs trying to rob us, ok you could say the same about some parts of sleepy Norfolk but the truth is, Britain [and I visit London and Nottingham as well as Norfolk when in the UK] is deteriorating in terms of safety, my country has a strict rule on immigration yours has a slack one, do I need to explain more?psSorry about the big text thats the way it pasted

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Is Mr Howard still PM in your country then [^o)]

[/quote]Mr Howard has never been the PM of my country, I don''t live in Australia! [Although I was there a few weeks ago] but they are trying to model their immigration rules on the success of ours by the look of it

JB, just to answer your query, half my family are from West Brom (sorry we8wba[;)]) and I have spent a lot of time outside Norfolk - in some sleepy and other not so sleepy parts of the world. They have admittedly all been within North America and Europe (so hardly cosmopolitan, I agree) but I have experienced the world outside Naaaarfolk and all those nasty outsiders. Oi''ve oorlsew bin acroorst the borda ta suffick a cupla toimes dort ya knew.

Firstly, you seem to have conveniently omitted your country''s history regarding indigenous populations, strange that?! On this note, what do your aboriginal neighbours think of European immigrants coming over there and nicking all their jobs and imposing Our Way of Life and Christian Beliefs on them?  The hypocracy in that bull**** you have cut and pasted is breathtaking.

Secondly, I''m glad to see that you can still buy the Daily Mail over there.

"Firstly, you seem to have conveniently omitted your country''s history

regarding indigenous populations, strange that?! On this note, what do

your aboriginal neighbours think of European immigrants coming over

there and nicking all their jobs"Well like I said I don''t live in Australia but I''m pretty sure when Captain James Cook arrived some 250 years ago the aboriginal tribes didn''t have any jobs, unless you count throwing  bent sticks at  hairy nosed Wombats of course!Perhaps you are getting James Cook mixed up with Thomas Cook? lol, still if you picked up the Daily Mail now and again I guess you would have known the difference - "Nicking their jobs" indeed! Ha! that''s the funniest thing I''ve heard all day 

[quote user="Marty"]hey what''s wrong with the Daily Mail anyway?[/quote]Oh Lord don''t ask that question!!!!  If we start that list this thread could go on for another 8 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It''s irrelevant if there were any other sikh''s at the game (I hope there were).

Why do you need to seek their (Norfolk sikh community) opinion about a thread about a referee ?

I thought my post could lead to the odd mark that was labbled racist by some, but not 115 or so replies!

have you lot on here totally lost the plot ?

now i remember why i don''t post on here very often !!??