Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Referee - Mr Singh

Back on topic, mr singh has done alot better in games, I know that he is highly rated among League 1,  but may not be good enough for the Chumpionship

Just like Peltier.[:)]

Hardhouse44 wrote

Without wanting to jump to assumptions I wonder if any posters regular or not on here are Sheikh’s.

What like Sheikh, rattle and roll. Or am I being racist?

im not trying to say this whole thread is about racism and all norwich fans are racist

im on about panesars and hats comments, i also trying to make the point if he was some one like clattenburg as ref would we have thread about it? not saying there wouldnt be, just wondered

also, i refer you to this article by singh. http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Interviews/0,,10794~701925,00.htmlwhere he talks of his passion for the game and what he deems to be racist.

My worst and best experience watching Norwich involved a game this guy was refereeing.  I was at the Valley earlier this season and intended to pick up a ticket on the doors.  A lady saw me queuing and offered me a free ticket as she had a spare.  I tried to pay her for it but she refused.  This was a great and rare act of kindness (especially when you live in London as I do) and I was really chuffed that someone had done me such a good turn.

I got in the ground and watched the game.  Singh was having a pretty awful game and made some horrendous decisions involving Hucks, Mills and Dion.  He was getting a bit of stick.  A guy behind me stood up and shouted "you black c**t" as loud as he could!  Couldnt believe it.  There were several black people sat around and they must have heard.  Sick making.  I turned around and just stared at him and he looked sheepish and apologised to me(?!)

Its people like this we need to discriminate against in my opinion.  By all means take the piss out of poor refereeing, but the moment you bring race into the debate you lose credibility.  The discussion point in this post about his ''hat'' was not overtly racist but happens a little careless.  The hat clearly did not get in the way so why bring it up if you dont mean to draw religion or race into the debate? 

However mild or extreme, race issues shouldnt be a factor in football IMO.  Its not ''overly PC'' - its a matter of respect.

Why let PC-ness get in the way of the fact he is a CR@P ref. He is rubbish and balls''s-up everygame he does. I couldn''t give two monkey''s if he''s this or that, he''s a rubbish ref.

quote user - Peter Grant''s Contact Book

Whether serious or as an ill-conceived attempt at humour, the poster used a physical feature as a basis to explain, discount or ridicule behaviour. If not explicitly racist, it''s crass and unpleasant. It just so happens that the feature in this example is a religious and cultural requirement, which makes it even more inflammatory.

Not racist, but unpleasant, ignorant and pejorative.

Shouldn''t have been let through, and to those who don''t see anything wrong with the comment - shame on you.

so we''re not allowed to make fun purely based on a physical thing? what

about someone with a big nose? i''m not saying that I found the joke (if

there was one) funny, but I don''t see why it should be sensored.

[quote user="we8wba"]

as i said, if the referee was say clattenburg we wouldnt have this topic to start with

[/quote]

Thats not correct

I''m not commenting on the basis of the religion or whatever of the referee, i''m commenting on the ridiculous differnece in marks between 2 pundits, with one in my opinion (mr cuffley)being an awful assesment!

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

This racism thing is all in the mind of some people - in this case you, we8.

This thread is talking about Mr Singh the referee and it could equally be talking about Mr D''urso the referee. Can''t see anything racist there then. As for talking about his turban (hat), is that racist? I think not I actually took that as being humorous, which is how I think it was intended.

[/quote]

Well done Steve for seeing sense!

I had a feeling, knowing the reactions of many on this board that somehow this post was going to cause racial/religious controversy. Perhaps i should buy a euro millions ticket for friday, or i just know the board to well!

Someone else has raised an interesting point about the lookalike business with Monty Panesar. I dont really want to stray off topic, because this had nothing to do with race, but beings it has strayed dramatically anyway i will.

Is Calling the referee ''Monty panesar'' racist? As someone else has said would it be any different to calling someone ''Al Murray'' or any other random, recognisable person. It depends i think, if you are being stereotypical JUST because he wears a turban or whatever it is called, i can see why some see it racist. However, if it is his overall appearance which i think it is, then surely it cant be racist?

[quote user="we8wba"]

i understand some points on the other side of the coin

but it is racial just think how it was put together

ref mr singh was poor (by all accounts)

the next main poster put "his hat got in the way"

so why isnt that racism? he could wrote something contructive instead of that

im more suprised webteam allows posts like that, not that people feel like that

i wont lie, i sometimes think stuff like that in certain circumstances such as if i went to airport and seen muslim

but i never say it aloud.

keep your thoughts to yourself if they are offensive 

[/quote]

Its not bl**dy racism because it does not mention his race! If Andy d''urso went out there wearing a turban (or even a bobble hat) and had a cr*p game then people would say the same thing. i dare say if you asked Mr Singh if he was offended by someone shouting at him "nice hat" he would just laugh. Harbajan singh is nicknamed the "turnbanator" in this country. Is that offensive as well?

In my view its also not racist (although maybe a little ignorant) to say he looks like Monty Panesar either as there are some similarities in their appearance. My mates call me a fat Boris Becker as i look a bit like him (mainly i am pale and have (strawberry) blond hair (NOT ginger!). Where''s the difference? 

How many of the people complaining about the assistant actually were watching were the players when the ball was played? The players are very often offside when its played and come back to get the ball, but as a fan you ball watch and miss these things.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

Someone else has raised an interesting point about the lookalike business with Monty Panesar. I dont really want to stray off topic, because this had nothing to do with race, but beings it has strayed dramatically anyway i will.

Is Calling the referee ''Monty panesar'' racist? As someone else has said would it be any different to calling someone ''Al Murray'' or any other random, recognisable person. It depends i think, if you are being stereotypical JUST because he wears a turban or whatever it is called, i can see why some see it racist. However, if it is his overall appearance which i think it is, then surely it cant be racist?

[/quote]i just think he looked like him from a distance.obv i havent been face to face with him, but they have a very similar figure, maybe monty is chubbier?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Is the fact Mr. Singh is a  referee at this level an example of positive discrimination?[/quote]

I think this is an interesting point. And I would hope the answer is a catagoric No.

The FA will no doubt want to ensure that their workforce is as diverse as possible and representative of the society we live in. Having a ref of Asian origin can only be a good thing for the game - it may help to encourage other minorities to get involved and enlarge the skill base across the country. But this should not be at the expense of skill.

Mr Singh will be there because he has made the mark. There is no way anyone could consider him any worse than the extremely average standard of refereeing we''ve seen at Carrow Road over the past few seasons.

Personally I''m looking forward to seeing a more diverse referring community including more women refs - I think this would address a number of issues we have in the game and lead to a raising of standards generally.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

Absolutely, saying he looks like someone else isn''t at all racist; if people think that then in this case it really is political correctness gone mad.

Did anyone notice that every time the PNE right back, Billy Jones, took a throw-in, he committed a foul throw by lifting his right foot several inches off the ground. The referee and his assistants merely looked and let him get on with it. Spotting something like this and taking action is a basic requirement for officials at every level (amateur, youth,etc), never mind the second tier of the professional game.

I dont agree with any of the supposed racist comments on here etc, but at the same time i think even if he was Clattenburg as someone else said people would stil be complaining. Hes a useless waste of space of a referee, was at the Charlton game too, and he was just as picky if not worse then, if all refs were like him itd be a non contact sport. Hes pretu new and will learn, but I hope he doesnt ref any more games for Norwich this season. Doesnt let the game flow, very picky, doesnt allow good advantages, and blew up when croft was in an attacking wide position- terrible.

im not racist atall, but whats the diffrence in saying that mr singh looks like monty panasar and david marshall looking like mark viduka? HOW ON EARTH IS THAT DIFFRENT, THIS SOCIETY IS RUBBISH!!!

Five pages about a hat!! surely the guy was wearing a false nose and mustache too, thats obviously not meant as a racist remark either but it should give the PC brigade license to write five more pages about the nose and ten about the mustache! get real people!!! There''s enough problems in the world, without the PC mob trying to turn a childish remark into a racist one. The simple fact is - there is little difference between a  true racist and the fanatical PC person, they both stir up hatred, cause disharmony and annoy every sensible thinking person of all races. 

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]I''ve mentioned this to the web team and received the below reply

''We view the comment about the "hat" as light-hearted. There is no obvious element promoting hatred or discrimination.

If the comment had been along the lines of ''people wearing hats like that shouldn''t be referees'', for me, would fall on the other side of the line.

We will continue to monitor posts on this thread.''

the fact that he has used the word ''hat'' is an ignorant comment and racism is born from such ignorance in my opinion!!

But hey we live in Norfolk so it''s only a bit of fun!

[/quote]

Its a shame that the Web team haven''t said this directly on here...and at the same time mentioned whether they have solicited views from the Norfolk Sikh community on this....just to get a bit of perspective!

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Without wanting to jump to assumptions I wonder if any posters regular or not on here are Sheikh’s. For surely the are the only ones who would be able to judge whether the flippant remark made in this thread was racist or racial.

I''m not for one moment saying that you have to be of a specific religion to find the comment racist or not.

But with that in mind I feel Archant and the moderators a probably not qualified to judge either and a treading a very fine line.

Therefore it would probably be best to remove the comment or even the whole thread and show a zero tolerance on any such subject.

[/quote]

sorry to be pedantic, but a sikh and a sheikh are very different things.

someone had to point it out.

and at the same time mentioned whether they have solicited views from the Norfolk Sikh community on this....just to get a bit of perspective!

WHY??

Were they at the football??

This is a thread about a referee at a football match.

blimey, this post is going to exceed the amount of replies that the one about Russels gloves got! wonder what item of clothing will be next?

Right I might as well have my say then. I don''t see anything particulary racist in saying that the ref looked like Monty Panesar if this was the case. I don''t find the comment about ''the hat'' particulary offensive either, althoug hit could be argued that fairly innocent comments such as this give true bigots the confidence to take things further. A friend of mine who was at the game heard comments along the lines of "There''s no way a p**i should be allowed to referee at this level" and various comments about Muslims (?) and bombers (??). How many of these morons started off by making jokes about ''hats''?

[quote user="John Boubepo"]

The simple fact is - there is little difference between a  true racist and the fanatical PC person, they both stir up hatred, cause disharmony and annoy every sensible thinking person of all races.

[/quote]

I''ve yet to see a member of ''The PC Lobby'' give someone a good kicking due to their race or religion, so I would suggest that there is quite a large difference. What is ''PC'' anyway? As far as I can see it''s just an extension of the very old fashioned notion of having good manners. It''s just that where once we were told as youngsters to respect our elders, now we''re encouraged to show respect to everybody.

[quote user="John Boubepo"]

The simple fact is - there is little difference between a  true racist and the fanatical PC person, they both stir up hatred, cause disharmony and annoy every sensible thinking person of all races.

[/quote]

I agree to an extent about limits on personal freedom of expression being inhibited by OTT nit picking of peoples'' language, and I agree that it can often inflame already difficult tensions unnecessarily but this is an absolutely ludicrous statement!!!!! Can you name one example of a gang of ''fanatical PC people'' (as you call them) beating up a person simply on the basis that they have different racial or cultural origins.    

I agree to an extent about limits on personal freedom of expression being inhibited by OTT nit picking of peoples'' language, and I agree that it can often inflame already difficult tensions unnecessarily but this is an absolutely ludicrous statement!!!!! Can you name one example of a gang of ''fanatical PC people'' (as you call them) beating up a person simply on the basis that they have different racial or cultural origins.    

I don''t believe I said anything about OTT PC gangs beating up other groups, I was merely highlighting the extremes of both groups [racist and fanatical PC groups] and the impact they both have on todays society, both groups are equally repugnant, damaging and equally annoying

the person who came out and said it, replied and said he meant it as joke and not racial

may sound bit like that but the person cleared up the situation

end of topic