Sign in to follow this  
SouthamptonCanary

Keep Delia @ NCFC because the Grass isn't always Greener and Yellower on the otherside

[quote user="ricardo"]

If the board have been so clever and far sighted in their latest managerial appointment then one has to ask what went wrong with their previous appointment.

[/quote]

I believe its called learning from your mistakes. We all make them, and when you do, you makes sure you don''t make the same mistake twice.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="NorfolkChance"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Please yourselves.

I was merely reporting what I''d heard from a good scource.

Obviously it has to be rubbish since it doesn''t fit with your own picture.

[/quote]

But that''s exactly what you''re doing! You''re claiming you have information from a source to help you''re own agenda, without providing any proof. Call me a sceptic, but I''d prefer to believe facts rather than hearsay.

This became especially apparent during the transfer window. How many people did we have banging on about Tiny/Ameobi/Patterson signing from "a reliable source"?

Until you can back it up with facts, I''m not going to believe you. I''m not calling you a liar. Maybe you''re correct. To use an analogy, I''m not going to believe in ghosts unless I see one. Sometimes, its just too easy and convenient to claim you know "a reliable source" to backup your agenda rather than prove what you''re saying through facts.

[/quote]

If you want to believe Glen was our boards first choice when they sacked Grant then carry on Norfolk.

I am simply reporting what I heard to the contrary.

Personally I happen to believe what my scource told me as he/she has never been wrong before. It doesn''t help my "agenda" at all because I don''t have an "agenda" and whatever sequence of events led to the appointment of Glen Roeder we appear to have been fortunate beneficiaries.

If the board have been so clever and far sighted in their latest managerial appointment then one has to ask what went wrong with their previous appointment. My analysis for what it''s worth is they simply got lucky.

[/quote]

Why does it matter how the board came to appointed Glenn Roeder?  The only facts the we all know to be true are that they did appoint Glenn Roeder.  It has been a great signing so far and long may it continue!

Capello wasn''t the first choice for the England job but everyone seems quite happy with him so far.

1st choice, 2nd choice, 5th choice it really doesn''t matter as long as it is the right choice which it is in this case, so give the board some credit where it is due.

I started this post in the hope that it might open peoples eyes to look at other clubs in this league and compare ourselves to them and not compare ourselves to our dreams of what this club should be.  We could be a lot worse off!!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="BBFF"]

Maybe it all depends if you are happy with the "little Norwich" tag given to us by Delia and maybe happy with the disparity of ambition invested off the pitch to that on the pitch.

The signing of Roeder absolute stroke of genius? you have to remember he was a second choice and may have been down to luck more than anything as I would think with the board went first time for the cheaper option of Grant.

Many supporters like me call out for more investment on the pitch, but we may already be getting from the Turners? we don''t know the board wont say. What are the Turners doing apart from keeping an eye on Doncaster?. If you can buy a seat on the board for a £mil why is not a supporters representative on it now? over the years we have given £mils to the club?.

You have to remember sometimes the grass is greener and yellower else where but you have to go out and look for it and not wait for it to be queuing at your door as Delia & Michael expects.

If you are happy with the club as it is then there is not need for change but if you want real ambition and real success on the pitch then there has got to be at least a change of attitude to outside investment, if not that then the board needs to think if they are the best people to run NCFC.

It boils down to what do you want? mediocrity with a nice meal or an ambitious successful FOOTBALL team?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Roeder - seccond choice? What are you on about - Grant was appointed a year before Roeder when Roeder was in charge at Newcastle. And to begin with - last season Grant seemed to have an idea of what he was going to do, remember he steered us away from relegation last season?

[/quote]

Actually Chiken, this does appear to be true.

Apparently Paul Jewell was first choice but messed us about a bit. I can''t swear to that as fact but heard it from more than one scource.

[/quote]

Paul Jewell Never applied for the job.. the board tried to get him but he never wanted it.. he didnt mess us about.. he had every right to refuse a job he had never applied or wanted in the first place.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="BBFF"]

Maybe it all depends if you are happy with the "little Norwich" tag given to us by Delia and maybe happy with the disparity of ambition invested off the pitch to that on the pitch.

The signing of Roeder absolute stroke of genius? you have to remember he was a second choice and may have been down to luck more than anything as I would think with the board went first time for the cheaper option of Grant.

Many supporters like me call out for more investment on the pitch, but we may already be getting from the Turners? we don''t know the board wont say. What are the Turners doing apart from keeping an eye on Doncaster?. If you can buy a seat on the board for a £mil why is not a supporters representative on it now? over the years we have given £mils to the club?.

You have to remember sometimes the grass is greener and yellower else where but you have to go out and look for it and not wait for it to be queuing at your door as Delia & Michael expects.

If you are happy with the club as it is then there is not need for change but if you want real ambition and real success on the pitch then there has got to be at least a change of attitude to outside investment, if not that then the board needs to think if they are the best people to run NCFC.

It boils down to what do you want? mediocrity with a nice meal or an ambitious successful FOOTBALL team?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Roeder - seccond choice? What are you on about - Grant was appointed a year before Roeder when Roeder was in charge at Newcastle. And to begin with - last season Grant seemed to have an idea of what he was going to do, remember he steered us away from relegation last season?

[/quote]

Actually Chiken, this does appear to be true.

Apparently Paul Jewell was first choice but messed us about a bit. I can''t swear to that as fact but heard it from more than one scource.

[/quote]

Paul Jewell Never applied for the job.. the board tried to get him but he never wanted it.. he didnt mess us about.. he had every right to refuse a job he had never applied or wanted in the first place.

jas :)

[/quote]

Not the way I hears it JAS.

I don''t want to go into specifics but  from I was told  he certainly did mess us about. I am not prepared to spell out the details as I don''t want to embarras my scource so you will just have to believe or disbelieve what I said.

The point I am trying to make on this thread is that I hold a contrary view to those who claim that Glen''s appointment was a stroke of genius by the Board. Personally, how we ended up with Glen is irrelavant as far as I am concerned but we have certainly benefited enormously.

So let me get this right guys...

We were disappointed that the Board appointed the cheap option in Glenn Roeder when Paul Jewell was the fans choice that the Board didn''t have the ambition to pursue.

But now we are disappointed because the Board are believed to have wanted to have been ambitious and appoint the fans choice in Paul Jewell before they offered the job to cheap option second choice Glen Roeder.

Thats the difference between having to make decisions in real time and stick with them as opposed to using hindsight to find fault with them.

Now if only we could have signed a centreback to replace The Doc we might have a half decent defence now.............

[*-)][8-)]

[quote user="NorfolkChance"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

If you want to believe Glen was our boards first choice when they sacked Grant then carry on Norfolk.

[/quote]

OK. I will. I suppose we''ll just have to agree to disagree as I''m not going to believe your "reliable source" until I''m proven otherwise. Like I said, if I''m wrong, I''m wrong, but I can only believe what I see.

Having said that, I struggle to see why you would be upset at the board for doing this? Hypothetically, lets say you are right. Jewel was the first choice of manager, and he did turn us down. To me this would mean that our board were in for the best 2 managers available to us! The first one fell through, so we went for the second one. That''s good management! It shows ambition and shrewdness.

So, if that had happened, you wouldn''t have made a press release stating that you had just appointed your 2nd choice as manager would you? Why? Because it undermines the guy who has the job. That''s just common sense. (remember Steve McLaren? England''s number one choice.....if you exclude the fact that big Phil had already turned it down).

Now, I know what you will say. If the above hypothetical is true, the the reason we didn''t get Jewel because we didn''t offer him enough money. If that was correct, maybe its because he was asking for too much, which didn''t show value. Surely that would be seen as a good decision given our current plight. A good manager, plus money to spare. One mans good luck is another''s good management.

I guess the point I''m trying to make is, if this were all true, how does it prove the inadequacy of the board? All it proves is that the public are not privy to all business decisions, which for the running of any business, is the way it should be.

[/quote]

Money was not the reason Norfolk but you are correct in saying one man''s good luck is another''s good management.

Personally I was hoping for Jewell and was initially disappointed that we got Glen. However from the details of what I was told about the Jewell approach I was extremely glad that we didn''t get him. Funny how you form an opinion about someone based on what you see on TV and read in the Press. Suffice to say that I totally changed my opinion of him when I was told about what had happened.

Regarding your final point my opinion of the Board is not simply based on the successful appointment of Glen Roeder any more than the unsuccessful appointment of Peter Grant or going further back to Hamilton. What I am saying is that any plaudits that the Board recieve from Glens appointment should be viewed alongside their rather more obvious failings.

Nobody could be happier than me with our current successful spell but the season should be viewed in it''s entirety. Our 11 game unbeaten run came directly after a winless run of similar length so barring the continuation of Glen''s miracle the season still has a long way to run before meeting the expectations we all had last July.

I just find it strange that anyone with a critical opinion of the Owners of this club is immediately labelled a Binner or a doom and gloom merchant. I look back at their 12 or so years stewardship and apart from one year I see a lot of failure and missed opportunities. You may say who would do any better , well I would say, almost anybody could do no worse.

I now sit and wait for the "Binner" Smudger" attack dogs.

[quote user="ricardo"]

If the board have been so clever and far sighted in their latest managerial appointment then one has to ask what went wrong with their previous appointment.

[/quote]

I believe its called learning from your mistakes. We all make them, and when you do, you makes sure you don''t make the same mistake twice.

[/quote]

To this I simply say

Hamilton

Grant.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So let me get this right guys...

We were disappointed that the Board appointed the cheap option in Glenn Roeder when Paul Jewell was the fans choice that the Board didn''t have the ambition to pursue.

But now we are disappointed because the Board are believed to have wanted to have been ambitious and appoint the fans choice in Paul Jewell before they offered the job to cheap option second choice Glen Roeder.

Thats the difference between having to make decisions in real time and stick with them as opposed to using hindsight to find fault with them.

Now if only we could have signed a centreback to replace The Doc we might have a half decent defence now.............

[*-)][8-)]

[/quote]

Not quite Nutty.

As I said in reply to JAS my info was that money was not the consideration. Quite Franky the Board was under pressure from the fans and were desperate to replace Granty with someone who had an established pedigree.

However the claim that Glen''s appointment was a stroke of genius by the Board should not go unchallenged or it might end up becoming the revealed truth, like other myths at this club.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="NorfolkChance"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To this I simply say

Hamilton

Grant.

[/quote]

So there ya go Ricardo...

Hamilton = mistake Worthington = learnt then Grant = mistake Roeder = learnt

It''s the same at most clubs just check out Leicester under Mandaric [;)]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Not quite Nutty.

As I said in reply to JAS my info was that money was not the consideration. Quite Franky the Board was under pressure from the fans and were desperate to replace Granty with someone who had an established pedigree.

However the claim that Glen''s appointment was a stroke of genius by the Board should not go unchallenged or it might end up becoming the revealed truth, like other myths at this club.

[/quote]

Appointing a manager is far from an exact science. There''s no guarantee of success. We are both old enough to remember the difficulties even Manchester United had in replacing Busby. Or how Brian Clough couldn''t be a success with Leeds. The fans are sometimes the worst judges of all. Grants appointment was far more popular intially than the appointment of Worthington, Roeder and even Mike Walker first time.

I don''t care if we got Roeder by genius or not I just hope he works out. If he fails the Board will be to blame so if he is a success they will get the credit. That''s the way of it I''m afraid.

But I would just say that Roeder has a far more established pedigree than Paul Jewell and was probably the very best manager we could have got at the time. But as I pointed out, that''s no guarantee of success.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="NorfolkChance"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To this I simply say

Hamilton

Grant.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the confirmation Nutty, I make that the same mistake twice.

Point proven.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Thanks for the confirmation Nutty, I make that the same mistake twice.

Point proven.

[/quote]

Not really because those show 50% mistakes and 50% learnt which actually compares quite well to other clubs. It could also be argued that the Roeder appointment is the only one made so far by the current Board. (Since Turners).

[quote user="ricardo"]

I just find it strange that anyone with a critical opinion of the Owners of this club is immediately labelled a Binner or a doom and gloom merchant.....

[/quote]

For the record, I''m doing nothing of the sort. I''m actually enjoying having a nice civilised conversation on here for a change, with people who are on the same side, but a difference of opinion. There has been far too much blatant finger pointing and name calling on here lately!

The point I was initially trying to make is (before we got onto Jewel) there is far too much "I''ve heard this" and "I have a source, a good one and they said" etc. etc. It''s boy who cried wolf kind of stuff. I''m sure you''re an honest person, but for reasons I outlined before, I can''t believe you about the Jewel situation.

But as you quite rightly point out, that''s my choice. Maybe I''m a little naive, who knows...

[quote user="ricardo"]

I just find it strange that anyone with a critical opinion of the Owners of this club is immediately labelled a Binner or a doom and gloom merchant.....

[/quote]

For the record, I''m doing nothing of the sort. I''m actually enjoying having a nice civilised conversation on here for a change, with people who are on the same side, but a difference of opinion. There has been far too much blatant finger pointing and name calling on here lately!

The point I was initially trying to make is (before we got onto Jewel) there is far too much "I''ve heard this" and "I have a source, a good one and they said" etc. etc. It''s boy who cried wolf kind of stuff. I''m sure you''re an honest person, but for reasons I outlined before, I can''t believe you about the Jewel situation.

But as you quite rightly point out, that''s my choice. Maybe I''m a little naive, who knows...

[/quote]

On point one Norfolk, I was not pointing the finger at you and agree that it''s nice to have an exchange of views without resorting to name calling.

On the second point you are of course at liberty to accept or not my info regarding the Jewell incident. All I can do is vouch for the veracity of the person who revealed it to me.

To clarify my position on this thread all I want to put over is IMHO the Board have stumbled on a good manager more by luck than judgement. Perhaps that view is coloured by my negative perceptions of their dealings in recent years. Those of you with a more positive attitude to the Board may see it as a masterstroke. You pay your money and take your choice.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I dont care how shady someone is as long as they are making my club the best, rather that than some washed up cake maker who wont spend a penny. So what character have we now, a little family club out in sticksville who have to borrow other teams players because we are skinners. I would rather be ruthless and successful everytime.[/quote]i aint inferior to no one pal, i am just selfish like the rest of the world but honest enough to admit it.I really, really hope you are in a tiny minority with this attitude. Do you have any idea what ''shady'' people are doing at other clubs? Honest question, do you have ANY idea? Do you want them to be ''ruthless and succesful'' whilst tearing the club apart for a quick profit? And as for the personal remarks on here about someone who has put in considerable time and effort into our club, I''m totally ashamed that people like you can call yourself a Norwich City fan.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]or get someone with some cash. [/quote]

Yes, but who, you deaf eared lot!  It''s not for the want of trying to find them as I understand it, and are you prepared to wait for those with billions in paper money (the Turners and Cullums) to raise real cash whilst they wait for the credit crunch to go soggy!  Do you really want to get rid of Delia just for the sake of it and get someone else to stand in whilst we wait - a la Wednesday - for someone else to come in and spend for us - go whistle cos it ain''t going to happen.  Christ I''m blowing a gasket here!  [:@]  You can only do the best you can with what you''ve got.  Get behind the board and use more sublte persuasion on them to back Roeder - vitriol will only drive them away eventually and make them an impotent force in the meantime!  The worst thing that could happen is the Ipsh*te scenario.

[/quote]Wasting your breath shefcanary. Spoilt little kids demanding cash injections ...... asking ''who?'' is just an insignificant detail. The lack of grace shown towards the people who work the hardest to keep the club competitive is undignified and unjust. When they move on they''ll get slaughtered for what they weren''t able to do instead of what they acheived. Whats Ricky Knight put into the club? Been down there to burn the midnight oil lately Ricky? Invited the local businessmen to fund raising event round your house eh? No, we expect ''the board'' to do the boring day to day slog of actually keeping the club afloat,If they stepped down tomorrow we''d die on our arses waiting for some bored fella with a few billion £ to walk through the door.I''m very proud of this club and the way it conducts its business. Its on the pitch over the last 15 years is where you should be pointing your fingers. Boring football played by over paid journeymen. Nothing is quick fix, Nobody demonstrated when Grant was appointed. We all hoped he''s do as well as Coppell or Mowbray or Hughes or dare I say Bowen - widely accepted as the best coach in the country. Nobody knew. He was respected by others in the game and had an obvious passion. None of us knew any more than the board that he''d be a disaster....... or that Roeder would turn it around.... not the best record as many of you pointed out when he was announced. This board (the fact you''re all so obsessed with Delia is a bit freaky) are doing a great job. Things go in cycles..... chances are the next lot will be the disaster that you think we''re experiencing now.You''ll deserve it to.

[quote user="ricky knight"]yea keep Delia go nowhere, or get someone with some cash. the team is doing ok but we need class, permanent class to move forward, that costs money, HRH has not got it, or wont spend it, get someone who will unless you are happy with a mediocre championship team, year in, year out.[/quote]

yeah lets sell out to the mege rich investors and turn our back on every thing this club and football in general stands for, just think in a few years time we could be playing fulham in beijing!

football needs to get back to it''s working class routes, i would rather stay in the championship and remain an honest club that is dedicated to it''s fans than become an investment for a faceless organisation/person who cares little about ncfc or it''s fans.

why not try supporting man utd or chelsea? sounds like you''d  enjoy it more!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]yea keep Delia go nowhere, or get someone with some cash. the team is doing ok but we need class, permanent class to move forward, that costs money, HRH has not got it, or wont spend it, get someone who will unless you are happy with a mediocre championship team, year in, year out.[/quote]

yeah lets sell out to the mege rich investors and turn our back on every thing this club and football in general stands for, just think in a few years time we could be playing fulham in beijing!

football needs to get back to it''s working class routes, i would rather stay in the championship and remain an honest club that is dedicated to it''s fans than become an investment for a faceless organisation/person who cares little about ncfc or it''s fans.

why not try supporting man utd or chelsea? sounds like you''d  enjoy it more!

[/quote]

yea yea, heard it all before, sorry mate i am green and yellow through and through, just have different visions for the club to you, maybe you should go and support rochdale, homely enough for you.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

yea yea, heard it all before, sorry mate i am green and yellow through and through,

[/quote]Yeah course you are...... it shines though your posts.......Miserable negative comments that make it clear Carrow Road will be a happeir place if you never go back.Stay away

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Fantastic post mate, mirrored my thoughts exactly. I get so fed up with anyone who states this type of opinion being labelled as "disloyal". I am sure at the end of the day we all want the best for NCFC, but as someone who remembers hearing "On the Ball City" echoing into the night as we left the Olympic Stadium in Munich I can''t help it, I want to experience something like that again in my lifetime!

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Fantastic post mate, mirrored my thoughts exactly. I get so fed up with anyone who states this type of opinion being labelled as "disloyal". I am sure at the end of the day we all want the best for NCFC, but as someone who remembers hearing "On the Ball City" echoing into the night as we left the Olympic Stadium in Munich I can''t help it, I want to experience something like that again in my lifetime!

[/quote]

I 2nd that!

What makes you think the board is not actively seeking investment. I''d really love you to answer that. The truth is you dont have clue what the board do day to day. You conveniently forget that two board members announced they would happily sell their shares....... not one taker. Nobody. Not a single person came in with a bid in spite of the offer being published in the national press.Dreaming is one thing ........ being realistic and not spouting lies and making up utter rubbish is, I''m afraid, where you need to get your heads. We''ve no automatic ''right'' to finding a wealthy benefactor. The Turners were brought on board by the board with an initial investment (term used loosely) of two million pounds. Two million. I''d say thats a fairly healthy toe in the water. None of you would sink money in without evaluating the concept.I''ve had ebough of this.Cheerio

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Totally unrealistic.  No chance of us ever playing Bayern ever again.  The rich boys are going to get richer and teams like us will have to be content with the crumbs they leave.  The best we can ever hope for is a high mid-table premier finish.  And that will take serious millions, serious millions.

We all want football to come first, we want an ambitious one too.  Unfortunately we are seriously unlikely to have a successful one, unless you class success as high-mid table, quarter/semi final of a cup maybe.  This is not a pessimistic post, this is a realistic one.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I 2nd that!

[/quote]BBFF sorry you are being totally unrealistic.1. Delia was referring to the media''s view of ''little'' Norwich City, not her own view.2. If you criticise the board for stuff they get wrong but fail to congratulate them for things they get right, you just come across as childish3. Its absolutley right and proper that the board don''t disclose how much the Turners (or other board members) will put in. Nobody on here would believe them anyway so what would be the point, other than putting us in a weak negotiating position with other clubs?4. Can you name the club who you want us to model ourselves on? The one with no off pitch investment? The club that doesn''t earn extra cash from catering and corporate entertainment, but that you can still lable ''ambitious''? Can you even name ONE?5. What makes you think the board aren''t looking for investors, but just sitting around waiting for them to come to us. Any evidence to support this?6. Nobody (sane) is happy with the current state, but I for one would much much MUCH rather be in our current position than Ipswich, Coventry, Cardiff, the list goes on. This isn''t about being happy with mediocrity, its about understanding the potential mess the club could end up in with the wrong sort of ''investor'' on board when the bubble in the current game finally bursts. I want there to be a team around for my sons to support.The only think you said that I would agree with is a supporters representative on the board. But you lot would just call him/her a yes man anyway.I''m not calling you disloyal, I''m just calling you wrong.

[quote user="Big Down Under"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

[/quote]

I 2nd that!

[/quote]

BBFF sorry you are being totally unrealistic.
1. Delia was referring to the media''s view of ''little'' Norwich City, not her own view.
2. If you criticise the board for stuff they get wrong but fail to congratulate them for things they get right, you just come across as childish
3. Its absolutley right and proper that the board don''t disclose how much the Turners (or other board members) will put in. Nobody on here would believe them anyway so what would be the point, other than putting us in a weak negotiating position with other clubs?
4. Can you name the club who you want us to model ourselves on? The one with no off pitch investment? The club that doesn''t earn extra cash from catering and corporate entertainment, but that you can still lable ''ambitious''? Can you even name ONE?
5. What makes you think the board aren''t looking for investors, but just sitting around waiting for them to come to us. Any evidence to support this?
6. Nobody (sane) is happy with the current state, but I for one would much much MUCH rather be in our current position than Ipswich, Coventry, Cardiff, the list goes on. This isn''t about being happy with mediocrity, its about understanding the potential mess the club could end up in with the wrong sort of ''investor'' on board when the bubble in the current game finally bursts. I want there to be a team around for my sons to support.

The only think you said that I would agree with is a supporters representative on the board. But you lot would just call him/her a yes man anyway.

I''m not calling you disloyal, I''m just calling you wrong.
[/quote]

All ifs and buts and I''ve yet to see a club the size of NCFC disappear. Utter rubbish.If you think wanting investment on the pitch is wrong, i''d consider packing football supporting up matey.