Sign in to follow this  
SouthamptonCanary

Keep Delia @ NCFC because the Grass isn't always Greener and Yellower on the otherside

As you can see I don''t often post but I do read the boards pretty much every day and I have grown a little bit frustrated with all the Board and Delia bashing that is going on.  I like every Norwich City fan would love to see us recieve a big injection of cash into the club so we can go and fork out millions of pounds on signing proven quality players which could take us to the Holy Grail of the Premership.  

The biggest problem with seeking a big injection of cash into the club is that it will ultimatly mean new owners.  The type of people/businesses buying football clubs at the moment are not doing it because they love football/club/fans they are doing it to make a return on there investment and in turn putting clubs into millions and millions of pounds worth of debt....look at Ips*it or even Liverpools refinancing.  Ok so Delia doesn''t have the cash we would all like to see at the club but aleast you know her heart is in it and shes not with us to make a quick buck.  All that can be done is make sure the books balance and that we make money wherever possible to invest in the team and hope that GR brings in the right players at the right price after all Wenger has never spent a lot of money compared to the rest of the Premership.  The signing of Glenn Roeder as manager was an obsolute stroke of genius but yet Delia and Board get no credit for this, but we were all happy to slate them about the poor signing of Grant and at least they got rid of quick this time.

With no disrespect, I can hear the Wiz''s and Smudgers etc of this board getting on there high horse already about the lack of ambition but the point i''m trying to make is that things aren''t as bad as you believe.  This January transfer window we made a permanant signing and continued or bought in 7 loans.  There are other clubs in this league that either sold  major players (Plymouth Norris, Watford King, Charlton Reid) or didn''t buy or loan hardly anyone (Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton) making us one of the most active clubs in this window. 

A couple of years ago Southampton fans were saying the same things about Rupet Lowe as what is being said about Delia.  With heinsight we can now see how well Lowe was doing at the club because while they weren''t spending big they were stable.  The fans eventually got there way and Lowe was out, and now the club is rotten to the core from the state of things on the pitch going right through the whole club to the admin departments.  Southampton are openly looking for investment and they will take it from anyone and they still can''t find it so what chance do we stand when we are quite rightly being fussy about who takes over our club.  They have loaned out 2 of there best players Rasiak and Scakal in what appears to be a money saving tactic.....how bad is that??

Just to be clear I''m not saying that Delia and the Board haven''t made mistakes because we all do, its part of live and I would our course welcome new investment into the club but I just think we should be careful what we wish for.  The club is stable, we do have some money to spend, (not a lot but some which is beter than nothing) and we are on the up.  So my request to all Norwich City fans is to focus on the positives of our cluib because there are a lot and forget the Delia bashing for a while because things aren''t that bad and who knows with a bit of luck we might make the playoff this season.  OTBC

absolutely fantastic post southampton canary.!!!i agree, delia has done a lot and whilst there hasnt been massive financial contributions recently she has done well to balance the books and provide us with a club to support.id love for money to come into the club but not in a usual way....i would hate for an "OWNER" to come in and buy the shares of the club and control us like a cash machine or a bank.the problem with these people is that they expect 2p back for every1p spent and if they don''t get it they bugger off and sell all our assets which effectively closes the club down.the turners for instance...norwich fans, financially stable. why not give us a business loan?money the club can spend in their own way without the chairman/owner demanding the money being pent in a certain way.you will ask...WHAT IF WE CANT PAY THEM BACK.well, i suppose we would rely on them as using it purely for love and not as a roman oilbaronmoneylaunderingavich so that we are paying back when we an but without the pressure.

I am just exhoing SotonCanary''s point - why is it that only us exiles can see what a reasonable job - I did say good but have rolled back on that - the Board are doing presumably because they can''t see what we have to put up with in our new locales!

Sheffield Wednesday are doing the same as Soton.  They too have sold a couple of their best players and brought in a couple on loan.  It really does seem like fire sale time at Hillsboro, and they too have actively been courting a new owner.  So much so they feed their fans the bullshit of "don''t give us a hard time now we''re close to a deal very soon".  They''ve been saying this for nigh on three years now, and the present major shareholder has decided to give up and invest in Chesterfield instead!  The only interested takers have been some chinese gambling syndicate - incredibly shady! 

Meanwhile down at the Lane, they have modelled themselves on NCFC (Property Development - tick, improved Catering offer - tick, hotel in the ground - tick, invest in community relations - tick, offices in the stands - tick) and like Norwich with Grant have put their eggs into a the hands of a useless manager.  Reading the local paper and Robbo''s comments is just like reading Grant''s in the EDP in 2007 - you could cut and paste (and probably the journalists have - Archant have you thought of suing?).   So presumably Allardyce may well be the next Lane manager.  Okay similar story but they are able to invest pretty heavily in their squad for a while with parachute payments, but are already looking beyond that with the NCFC model they have adopted.  Sensible, nay prudent, unexciting but they have a future which you cannot say the same for Wednesday most days.

All I am saying is that all this angst and vitriol is probably doing nothing but forcing Delia and MWJ into the one thing which would be disastrous for the club - a quick sale to the first paper millionaire a la Ipsh*te.  B*ll*cks to that!  If nothing esle it might also force Roeder to accept the first decent Premiership offer that comes his way.

Face facts all ye stay at homes, until someone comes along with the best of intentions and the club at the heart of what they do plus real cash, let''s just encourage the Board to keep on investing in Roeder. 

I don''t have anything personal against Delia as such, my gripe is with the fact she can''t compete anymore. This is why I find it hard to support them fully - they simply can''t do much more than they have done. I applaude them getting the manager right but thats only a small part of the problem. We simply need the cash to support the manager with and I don''t really think they have alot to give him.

Money unfortunately makes a huge difference in todays game and if you don''t have it you will get left behind. Eventually we will end up going down the football pyramid because other clubs around us get the investment needed to survive.

yea keep Delia go nowhere, or get someone with some cash. the team is doing ok but we need class, permanent class to move forward, that costs money, HRH has not got it, or wont spend it, get someone who will unless you are happy with a mediocre championship team, year in, year out.

[quote user="ricky knight"]or get someone with some cash. [/quote]

Yes, but who, you deaf eared lot!  It''s not for the want of trying to find them as I understand it, and are you prepared to wait for those with billions in paper money (the Turners and Cullums) to raise real cash whilst they wait for the credit crunch to go soggy!  Do you really want to get rid of Delia just for the sake of it and get someone else to stand in whilst we wait - a la Wednesday - for someone else to come in and spend for us - go whistle cos it ain''t going to happen.  Christ I''m blowing a gasket here!  [:@]  You can only do the best you can with what you''ve got.  Get behind the board and use more sublte persuasion on them to back Roeder - vitriol will only drive them away eventually and make them an impotent force in the meantime!  The worst thing that could happen is the Ipsh*te scenario.

[quote user="ricky knight"]yea keep Delia go nowhere, or get someone with some cash. the team is doing ok but we need class, permanent class to move forward, that costs money, HRH has not got it, or wont spend it, get someone who will unless you are happy with a mediocre championship team, year in, year out.[/quote]No I think we should be purchased by some non football supporting low life with a dreaful human rights record billionare and then chuck a load of cash at making us a relatively successful team with no character!

Maybe it all depends if you are happy with the "little Norwich" tag given to us by Delia and maybe happy with the disparity of ambition invested off the pitch to that on the pitch.

The signing of Roeder absolute stroke of genius? you have to remember he was a second choice and may have been down to luck more than anything as I would think with the board went first time for the cheaper option of Grant.

Many supporters like me call out for more investment on the pitch, but we may already be getting from the Turners? we don''t know the board wont say. What are the Turners doing apart from keeping an eye on Doncaster?. If you can buy a seat on the board for a £mil why is not a supporters representative on it now? over the years we have given £mils to the club?.

You have to remember sometimes the grass is greener and yellower else where but you have to go out and look for it and not wait for it to be queuing at your door as Delia & Michael expects.

If you are happy with the club as it is then there is not need for change but if you want real ambition and real success on the pitch then there has got to be at least a change of attitude to outside investment, if not that then the board needs to think if they are the best people to run NCFC.

It boils down to what do you want? mediocrity with a nice meal or an ambitious successful FOOTBALL team?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

I don''t have anything personal against Delia as such, my gripe is with the fact she can''t compete anymore. This is why I find it hard to support them fully - they simply can''t do much more than they have done. I applaude them getting the manager right but thats only a small part of the problem. We simply need the cash to support the manager with and I don''t really think they have alot to give him.

Money unfortunately makes a huge difference in todays game and if you don''t have it you will get left behind. Eventually we will end up going down the football pyramid because other clubs around us get the investment needed to survive.

[/quote]

No, sorry don''t agree with that. The manager is the MAJOR part of the problem - look at what Glenn''s done; has he spent more than Grant? NO!. Has he got better contacts? YES YES YES! Is he better at motivating the team?YES YES YES!

I bet the board are feeling pretty rueful about having appointed Grant; I bet some of them are waking up at night wondering how good a judge of character they really are. But never mind. By luck or otherwise they''ve got a manager who is as good as Grant was poor.

If other clubs, in a similar situation to NCFC resource-wise, try spending their way into the big time they are doomed. Unless they have a billionaire fan prepared to write off large chunks of cash, any investors will be doing just that - investing. If they don''t get sufficient return they will asset-strip the club & throw it back to the supporters.

No, this is the way forward;  real fans in control, steady growth, an excellent manager who knows class when he sees it. BUT a better scouting system is required & a complete overhaul of the academy.

And the board need beating with a stick sometimes - just to keep ''em on their toes!

I dont care how shady someone is as long as they are making my club the best, rather that than some washed up cake maker who wont spend a penny. So what character have we now, a little family club out in sticksville who have to borrow other teams players because we are skinners. I would rather be ruthless and successful everytime.

It has emerged in the last few days that we have a ruthless manager so it would be nice to match him with some ruthless money. I think a combination of GR and a healthy summer budget could lead to good things.

Sadly Delia & co no longer fit the bill.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I dont care how shady someone is as long as they are making my club the best, rather that than some washed up cake maker who wont spend a penny. So what character have we now, a little family club out in sticksville who have to borrow other teams players because we are skinners. I would rather be ruthless and successful everytime.[/quote]

In other words you''d happily see someone else go skint to bolster the size of your own ego.

You have an inferiority complex the size of Venezuela.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]I dont care how shady someone is as long as they are making my club the best, rather that than some washed up cake maker who wont spend a penny. So what character have we now, a little family club out in sticksville who have to borrow other teams players because we are skinners. I would rather be ruthless and successful everytime.[/quote]

In other words you''d happily see someone else go skint to bolster the size of your own ego.

You have an inferiority complex the size of Venezuela.

[/quote]

i aint inferior to no one pal, i am just selfish like the rest of the world but honest enough to admit it.

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

[/quote]I disagree completely.When you say she can''t compete - you mean she can''t throw the money into transfers that these foreign tax-dodging owners do. But that does not mean she still doesn''t have a lot to contribute to this club. I would still want her here even if she wasnt the majority share-holder anymore.The fact that people are suggesting she should go is utterly stupid. That woman has got us this far - so if we got your dream of a billionaire we could get a freak like the guy up at Hearts who has Pinochio as a manager! Keeping Delia around would at least mean we have someone who knows the club to stand up for the fans should anything go wrong. If you want to question that - who is it that has stood up for the fans in the recent past, refusing hospitality and sitting with the away supporters?!!You wont see to many of the thousand pound suit wearers doing that.

[quote user="ricky knight"]yea keep Delia go nowhere, or get someone with some cash. the team is doing ok but we need class, permanent class to move forward, that costs money, HRH has not got it, or wont spend it, get someone who will unless you are happy with a mediocre championship team, year in, year out.[/quote]I hate to say this but there isn''t that much class out there. Every week I have a look at some of the starting line-ups for other games and there are few players that really jump out at you and say "class act".I have always said that on average each team has around one player that would cut it comfortably in the premiership at this moment in time. The premiership itself isn''t laden with class acts.But then it all comes down to what you call class. I personally think Russell is "class" but not in the same way that Huckerby is "class". As for quality it is the same - but then there are players that have been labelled as having class but never shared it with the team. Koumas being one of the biggest candidates for this.Its not all as cut and dry as some people think.

[quote user="BBFF"]

Maybe it all depends if you are happy with the "little Norwich" tag given to us by Delia and maybe happy with the disparity of ambition invested off the pitch to that on the pitch.

The signing of Roeder absolute stroke of genius? you have to remember he was a second choice and may have been down to luck more than anything as I would think with the board went first time for the cheaper option of Grant.

Many supporters like me call out for more investment on the pitch, but we may already be getting from the Turners? we don''t know the board wont say. What are the Turners doing apart from keeping an eye on Doncaster?. If you can buy a seat on the board for a £mil why is not a supporters representative on it now? over the years we have given £mils to the club?.

You have to remember sometimes the grass is greener and yellower else where but you have to go out and look for it and not wait for it to be queuing at your door as Delia & Michael expects.

If you are happy with the club as it is then there is not need for change but if you want real ambition and real success on the pitch then there has got to be at least a change of attitude to outside investment, if not that then the board needs to think if they are the best people to run NCFC.

It boils down to what do you want? mediocrity with a nice meal or an ambitious successful FOOTBALL team?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 
[/quote]Hahahahaha - sorry to laugh at you but that is a fast one being pulled. The "little Norwich" tag came into existance when our average gate was about 14,000 and was as much to do with the fans as it was anybody at the club. And it has been greatly taken out of context. When it was referred to again in the premiership it was when making a comparison to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham, and other teams that have a WORLD following due to the masses of foreign players they have had through their doors and the fact that they are televised around the world on a weekly basis.Most premiership clubs that are in the top half are at least to some extent self sufficient, by that I mean they would have profit to spend on players etc without having to have a ritch share-holder etc to dig into their pocket. A lot of these clubs get "topped" up by their owners, but that in itself is a joke. You look how much say Man Utd make on international shirt sales and you remember that the owner gets a cut of the proffit. They then spend some of this on the squad - they have lost nothing and probably still earn at least a million a year.Roeder - seccond choice? What are you on about - Grant was appointed a year before Roeder when Roeder was in charge at Newcastle. And to begin with - last season Grant seemed to have an idea of what he was going to do, remember he steered us away from relegation last season?As for looking to sell a club - where would you start. They have made it quite clear that they are open and have been open to more investment if it comes on the right terms. And then there is the psychological bit. If you can''t sell something what do you do? Thats when you go around knocking on doors, asking mates etc if they know anyone that may want it. The problem with this is that it sounds like an instant looser that you are trying to shift. Its not the way to go."mediocrity with a nice meal or an ambitious successful FOOTBALL team?"This one sums it up for me. We are not mediocre. We may be when you look at our league table but if you look at the bigger picture and think how many professional clubs there are in all four full-time professional leagues you see that untill recently we finnished in the top 30 out of around 90ish teams on a regular basis.Ofcourse I would love to see the club progress but not on an "all or nothing" "go for broke" attitude.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I dont care how shady someone is as long as they are making my club the best, rather that than some washed up cake maker who wont spend a penny. So what character have we now, a little family club out in sticksville who have to borrow other teams players because we are skinners. I would rather be ruthless and successful everytime.[/quote]No thats your cinisism. I don''t want a dodgy "pimped up" version of the club. I want a family orientated club that is safe to go to with young people. I want a club that opens its doors to all people no matter their race etc. The family club part I  have no problem with.As for "out in sticksville" - have you ever been to the South-East of England? I would say the majority of people there would consider Norwich that anyway. That doesn''t mean they don''t respect it as a place - whether you like to accept it or not Norwich is very much geographicaly "out in sticksville".And to be honest I think getting several loan players in rather than say one or two permanents is being ruthless. And at the moment we are being rather successful as the results suggest.Yes we could do with more "quality" players but I would be angry to hear the day that a manager or fan say that we don''t need any more players! That is never a good thing to hear. And I think all but the top three teams in this country would say that they are always looking for more players.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Meanwhile down at the Lane, they have modelled themselves on NCFC (Property Development - tick, improved Catering offer - tick, hotel in the ground - tick, invest in community relations - tick, offices in the stands - tick) and like Norwich with Grant have put their eggs into a the hands of a useless manager.  Reading the local paper and Robbo''s comments is just like reading Grant''s in the EDP in 2007 - you could cut and paste (and probably the journalists have - Archant have you thought of suing?).   So presumably Allardyce may well be the next Lane manager.  Okay similar story but they are able to invest pretty heavily in their squad for a while with parachute payments, but are already looking beyond that with the NCFC model they have adopted.  Sensible, nay prudent, unexciting but they have a future which you cannot say the same for Wednesday most days.

[/quote]

More than that, SheffU and McCabe are also buying up foregin clubs with growth potential. They have one in China, and now they are bidding for another one in Eastern Europe (Ferencvaros) with international cup prospects. (In a year or two they might evolve into something like the Celtic of Hungary). If they succeed, they can use their branch club as a testing ground for their young talent, to whom they can provide invalueble international (and international cup) experience. They''ll be able to use their presence to scout local talent more efficiently, with whom they can ultimately boost their own team. Obviously, this is a long term investment, as it involves building a (low budget) new stadium, clearing debts, property development, etc. but on the longer run they''ll have practically two clubs to select players from... 

While I have no idea if our board has the sort of money to spend (doubt it), but if they had, would any you appreciate if they invested it like this, rather than just buying players?  Just a thought...

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Roeder - seccond choice? What are you on about - Grant was appointed a year before Roeder when Roeder was in charge at Newcastle. And to begin with - last season Grant seemed to have an idea of what he was going to do, remember he steered us away from relegation last season?

[/quote]

Actually Chiken, this does appear to be true.

Apparently Paul Jewell was first choice but messed us about a bit. I can''t swear to that as fact but heard it from more than one scource.

Ricardo - if you look at the context you will see that I was responding to BBFF who says that Roeder was second choice to Grant who was the first and cheaper option.As for Jewell, he ruled himself out in the press quite a while before Roeder was appointed. And to be quite frank it doesn''t really matter. I think if the board had been in for Jewell it would have been to silence the fans because they would have, and did, moan about anyone else.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Apparently Paul Jewell was first choice but messed us about a bit. I can''t swear to that as fact but heard it from more than one scource.

[/quote]

Well that settles it then. You''ve heard from more than one source. Categorical proof. We can finally put this one to bed.

Did you think that each of your multiple sources where just regurgitating bulls**t from the same source? Only takes one bulls**ter to start a rumour you know.

I''m far more happy that we gave the job to him, when it was announced that we had GR, I was in Swedan and got a phone call off a mate, I was not happy and felt the board had let us down. I really wanted Jewell, now, well. Thats a completly different story, I would not swap those 2, I do rate Jewell, but I feel GR will create a bit more of a legacy than Jewell. I think I got lost there, I meant to say that I heard that Jewell was first choice too..

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

Well that settles it then. You''ve heard from more than one source. Categorical proof. We can finally put this one to bed.

Did you think that each of your multiple sources where just regurgitating bulls**t from the same source? Only takes one bulls**ter to start a rumour you know.

[/quote]

Ahh yes but if we believe this it helps us sit comfortably with supporting the manager while giving no credit to the board who hired him. It''s rather like believing Doherty has improved so much under Roeder and was useless before he came.

[quote user="Poor mans Earnshaw"]

such a rubbish post

everyone knows delia is just stingy

[/quote]

... do they?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please yourselves.

I was merely reporting what I''d heard from a good scource.

Obviously it has to be rubbish since it doesn''t fit with your own picture.

Ahh yes but if we believe this it helps us sit comfortably with supporting the manager while giving no credit to the board who hired him. It''s rather like believing Doherty has improved so much under Roeder and was useless before he came.

[/quote]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Please yourselves.

[/quote]

But that''s exactly what you''re doing! You''re claiming you have information from a source to help you''re own agenda, without providing any proof. Call me a sceptic, but I''d prefer to believe facts rather than hearsay.

This became especially apparent during the transfer window. How many people did we have banging on about Tiny/Ameobi/Patterson signing from "a reliable source"?

Until you can back it up with facts, I''m not going to believe you. I''m not calling you a liar. Maybe you''re correct. To use an analogy, I''m not going to believe in ghosts unless I see one. Sometimes, its just too easy and convenient to claim you know "a reliable source" to backup your agenda rather than prove what you''re saying through facts.

[quote user="NorfolkChance"]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Please yourselves.

[/quote]

But that''s exactly what you''re doing! You''re claiming you have information from a source to help you''re own agenda, without providing any proof. Call me a sceptic, but I''d prefer to believe facts rather than hearsay.

This became especially apparent during the transfer window. How many people did we have banging on about Tiny/Ameobi/Patterson signing from "a reliable source"?

Until you can back it up with facts, I''m not going to believe you. I''m not calling you a liar. Maybe you''re correct. To use an analogy, I''m not going to believe in ghosts unless I see one. Sometimes, its just too easy and convenient to claim you know "a reliable source" to backup your agenda rather than prove what you''re saying through facts.

[/quote]

If you want to believe Glen was our boards first choice when they sacked Grant then carry on Norfolk.

I am simply reporting what I heard to the contrary.

Personally I happen to believe what my scource told me as he/she has never been wrong before. It doesn''t help my "agenda" at all because I don''t have an "agenda" and whatever sequence of events led to the appointment of Glen Roeder we appear to have been fortunate beneficiaries.

If the board have been so clever and far sighted in their latest managerial appointment then one has to ask what went wrong with their previous appointment. My analysis for what it''s worth is they simply got lucky.

In Glens own words he basically begged for the job from day one, if he was first choice why the delay, i am reliably informed Jewell was first choice.

[quote user="ricardo"]

If you want to believe Glen was our boards first choice when they sacked Grant then carry on Norfolk.

[/quote]

OK. I will. I suppose we''ll just have to agree to disagree as I''m not going to believe your "reliable source" until I''m proven otherwise. Like I said, if I''m wrong, I''m wrong, but I can only believe what I see.

Having said that, I struggle to see why you would be upset at the board for doing this? Hypothetically, lets say you are right. Jewel was the first choice of manager, and he did turn us down. To me this would mean that our board were in for the best 2 managers available to us! The first one fell through, so we went for the second one. That''s good management! It shows ambition and shrewdness.

So, if that had happened, you wouldn''t have made a press release stating that you had just appointed your 2nd choice as manager would you? Why? Because it undermines the guy who has the job. That''s just common sense. (remember Steve McLaren? England''s number one choice.....if you exclude the fact that big Phil had already turned it down).

Now, I know what you will say. If the above hypothetical is true, the the reason we didn''t get Jewel because we didn''t offer him enough money. If that was correct, maybe its because he was asking for too much, which didn''t show value. Surely that would be seen as a good decision given our current plight. A good manager, plus money to spare. One mans good luck is another''s good management.

I guess the point I''m trying to make is, if this were all true, how does it prove the inadequacy of the board? All it proves is that the public are not privy to all business decisions, which for the running of any business, is the way it should be.