Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Is it April 1st already? (Premier League's plan to go global)

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2254032,00.html

Wrong on so many levels [:''(].

[/quote]

Can''t really see how they can have one extra game against an arbitary opponent actually counting in the final points tally.

If a team gets relegated on the basis of points recieved/lost  in a one off game abroad I can forsee ructions.

yep soon be like nfl really

we will see games such as spurs v newcastle taking place in usa and like manutd in asia etc...

If I were the football league, I''d be sorely tempted to tell them to stick their promotion and relegation where the sun don''t shine, re-brand and fight for my own future as a direct competitor, making the Championship the top english league.  If the Premier League want to think of themselves as a "World League", their clubs as "franchises", and usurp their working-class fan base with a middle class equivelent (admittedly the last one has already occured), then they''re in danger of believing their own publicity, and disappearing up their own satellite TV channels.  There will come a time when the better paid people that they chase will move on from the fad, and global TV audiences will end up watching rows upon rows of empty seats.  If the stadiums cease to be full, will the penny drop with the viewers ?  And another thing - people in Singapore, Morrocco, Taipei, Shanghai, Moscow, etc., want to watch Man Utd, Arsenal, Cheskov, and Liverpool.  They don''t want to watch Blackburn bloody Rovers versus Bolton bloody Wanderers.  This is a recipe for disappointment.

This is the death of English football.

The line "will be distributed to glass level" is the biggest load of Boll*cks.

The premier league currently earns 2.6bn er annum. Thats 2600 million.

They gave a consolidation payment to the rest of the league (together) totalling 96 million - with 4 million of this to youth development. To be split over the next four years.

There will be no point in promotion.

[:O][quote user="ricardo"]

Can''t really see how they can have one extra game against an arbitary opponent actually counting in the final points tally.

If a team gets relegated on the basis of points recieved/lost  in a one off game abroad I can forsee ructions.

[/quote]

That was my first thought Ricardo.

The proposals state that the top five teams will be seeded so they don''t play each other. So, if you take this season, you could end up with Birmingham having to play Arsenal, Fulham playing Man Utd but Wigan playing Derby (I bet the people of Tokyo can''t wait to see that one [;)]). Hardly fair is it.

I also like the fact that half way down they throw in the fact that some games will be played in third world countries, as if that makes them the worlds finest philanthropists. "Forget your hunger little boy and behold the sight of Emile Heskey slicing horribly wide from six yards, throw down your crutches old man Robert Huth is in town!". I wonder if they''ll take in a tour of the factories where their kits are made [^o)].

I really hope this doesn''t take off!!  It just shows all that is wrong with the game nowadays!!I see someone has already set up a protest group on facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10004406243.I htink the only way fans would get a say if this was agreed would be by not attending any Premier League games over a two week period!!Or a Poll Tax style riot!!!!!!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If I were the football league, I''d be sorely tempted to tell them to stick their promotion and relegation where the sun don''t shine, re-brand and fight for my own future as a direct competitor, making the Championship the top english league.  If the Premier League want to think of themselves as a "World League", their clubs as "franchises", and usurp their working-class fan base with a middle class equivelent (admittedly the last one has already occured), then they''re in danger of believing their own publicity, and disappearing up their own satellite TV channels.  There will come a time when the better paid people that they chase will move on from the fad, and global TV audiences will end up watching rows upon rows of empty seats.  If the stadiums cease to be full, will the penny drop with the viewers ? 

And another thing - people in Singapore, Morrocco, Taipei, Shanghai, Moscow, etc., want to watch Man Utd, Arsenal, Cheskov, and Liverpool.  They don''t want to watch Blackburn bloody Rovers versus Bolton bloody Wanderers.  This is a recipe for disappointment.
[/quote]

Yep, I agree with you Blah.  Lets unshackle the reigns and go it alone.  We could make it more affordable for the masses in general and return football to how it used to be in the 80''s and 90''s.

If we did this and started having a bit of success I wonder how many lower to mid-table prem clubs would want to drop back down.  Quite a few I think.  Where would that leave the premier league?

Going points Blah. Football in this country needs a serious shake up and those who like to support the brand Clubs can go and do it and let the other 80 odd get back to real football for real fans.

I concur with blahblahblah. The "big four" et al are repeatedly making threats regarding how they might off sticks and join a midweek European League or similar, and expect football and everything connected with it in this country to jump as the consequences of them doing so might be the death of the game here.

On the contrary, their attitude and that of the Premiership in general is fast contributing to the death of the game in this country.

I am absolutely certain that, within 5 years, if it hasn''t already been introduced, then it will certainly be on the near horizon-no relegation from, or promotion to, the Premier League.

They''ll dress it up with this and that to make it look acceptable and patronise the Championship nicely (plus all leagues below) but the bottom line is, they want to go their own way and don''t give a shit for the other leagues, clubs, supporters. Clubs like Reading, Derby, Bolton et al must wonder what their future is and if the "new" Premiership will want to dump them anyway, despite the fact they are there now, and, in the case of Reading and Bolton, have proved themselves, Bolton especially so.

Let them have their Euro Super League, let them play Sporting Lisbon twice a season for evermore, that can go and be on TV ("Sky Sports Euro Super League In Association With Sony") with empty terraces as a result, give us our game back, we don''t need you and won''t miss you.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If I were the football league, I''d be sorely tempted to tell them to stick their promotion and relegation where the sun don''t shine, re-brand and fight for my own future as a direct competitor, making the Championship the top english league.  If the Premier League want to think of themselves as a "World League", their clubs as "franchises", and usurp their working-class fan base with a middle class equivelent (admittedly the last one has already occured), then they''re in danger of believing their own publicity, and disappearing up their own satellite TV channels.  There will come a time when the better paid people that they chase will move on from the fad, and global TV audiences will end up watching rows upon rows of empty seats.  If the stadiums cease to be full, will the penny drop with the viewers ?  And another thing - people in Singapore, Morrocco, Taipei, Shanghai, Moscow, etc., want to watch Man Utd, Arsenal, Cheskov, and Liverpool.  They don''t want to watch Blackburn bloody Rovers versus Bolton bloody Wanderers.  This is a recipe for disappointment.[/quote]Only if they get the FA onside first.  Get Brooking out and make it so it is run by old boys of Championship clubs.  Then tell the Prem to take a running jump and move the European qualification to the newly rebranded Division One.  Then remove players in the Premier League''s ability to be selected for the England team, the ability to of the clubs to play in the FA and league cups.  Readmit clubs to Division Four along with the promoted conference sides.The big four will go to a European superleague and be left with only plastic fans, so empty stadiums.  In the mean time new clubs clubs like FC United, Islington Artillery Men, Kensington, and Merseyside Reds should be given some help to come into being for the real fans of the big 4.

Crazy fools!This is exactly what pre-season is for. Have some showcase games around the world but for crying out loud - competative ones? Just make it a summer thing.Either that or do it with one of the cups which captures the real emotion behind British football and open it up to more than just the premiership teams (which would surely be a monopoly anyway?).

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If I were the football league, I''d be sorely tempted to tell them to stick their promotion and relegation where the sun don''t shine, re-brand and fight for my own future as a direct competitor, making the Championship the top english league.  If the Premier League want to think of themselves as a "World League", their clubs as "franchises", and usurp their working-class fan base with a middle class equivelent (admittedly the last one has already occured), then they''re in danger of believing their own publicity, and disappearing up their own satellite TV channels.  There will come a time when the better paid people that they chase will move on from the fad, and global TV audiences will end up watching rows upon rows of empty seats.  If the stadiums cease to be full, will the penny drop with the viewers ? 

And another thing - people in Singapore, Morrocco, Taipei, Shanghai, Moscow, etc., want to watch Man Utd, Arsenal, Cheskov, and Liverpool.  They don''t want to watch Blackburn bloody Rovers versus Bolton bloody Wanderers.  This is a recipe for disappointment.
[/quote]

Not a bad idea, I would vote for it, get rid of the yanks, yuppies etc and would be left with a much more competitive league for those remaining.

Just goes to show how little those in charge care about the average football fan.

i would rather the biggest 4/6 clubs buggered off and formed a european super league and left the rest of us to get on with it, they  can take thier tv money & multi million pound players/wages with them. It would do the english game the world of good.

I would hope though that if the above were to happen that we could keep the fa cup intact with all english teams competing.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

I am absolutely certain that, within 5 years, if it hasn''t already been introduced, then it will certainly be on the near horizon-no relegation from, or promotion to, the Premier League.

They''ll dress it up with this and that to make it look acceptable and patronise the Championship nicely (plus all leagues below) but the bottom line is, they want to go their own way and don''t give a shit for the other leagues, clubs, supporters. Clubs like Reading, Derby, Bolton et al must wonder what their future is and if the "new" Premiership will want to dump them anyway, despite the fact they are there now, and, in the case of Reading and Bolton, have proved themselves, Bolton especially so.

[/quote]

Glad to see people are coming round to my way of thinking.

I got panned on here for saying this a couple of years ago.

It seems pretty bloody obvious to me that this is the way things are going. Some far sighted individuals were saying this way back in the ninties and I am just surprised that its took this long before the majority started to realise it is happening.

It''s exhibition football and nothing else!

The game itself is dying a slow painful death whilst and exalted few line their pockets and live the life of playboys with no sense of right and wrong and the morals of a cuckoo!

Who wants to bet that in 20 or 30 years these days may well be looked back on as the lowest point of english football!

Money money money money.This is all about marketing, advertising revenue and selling products (like England wearing their new kit last night). Unfortunately football has become a capitalist institution, and capitalism relies on ever expanding markets to survive. In a world of finate resources, this is insane.I don''t like ''class war'', but I agree with their stickers that say "capitalism is killing football".

I couldn''t believe it when I read this, I too wondered if it was a joke but hearing David Gold say "we are making history" sends a shiver down my spine... funny how the only people to have openly supported this idea so far are the fat-cats and big-nobs.  Fans won''t go along with it, and hopefully there''ll be organised petitions if this ever gets off the ground.I agree with Blahx3, let''s get rid of the bloated, fat Premiership once and for all and ignore everything they do! When was the last time you saw a Premiership game that really excited you? This season has seen some technically good games, and a slight improvement in competition, but it remains a three-horse race (Liverpool haven''t been serious contenders for years now, why are they still "Big 4"?) and the only interesting bit of the league is the bottom end and the race for survival. If anyone wants to go play games abroad, let them but tell them they can''t come crawling back to the rest of us when they lose all their fans.  Then we take control of the leagues once and for all, re-establish Divisions 1-4, and promote from the Conference to fill in the gaps the fat-cats left behind.  Just look at the Championship table for an example of a competitive league, and 24k gates from us alone in a poor season only highlight how much more interesting fans find this league than Wigan or Bolton grinding out yet another scrappy draw...Power to the Little Guys!!! [:D]

"Extra-time multi-ball anyone?", right after this word from our sponsors!!  What''s next, 12 foot high goals to make it more interesting for the fat yanks, supping p### weak beer in their trailer parks? 

Seriously though, this is just demonstrating how little the fatcats care, give me Delia any day of the week & stick your conglomerates and dubai consortiums straight up their own a#####. 

Then tell the Prem to take a running jump and move the European qualification to the newly rebranded Division One.  Then remove players in the Premier League''s ability to be selected for the England team, the ability to of the clubs to play in the FA and league cups.  Readmit clubs to Division Four along with the promoted conference sides.
The big four will go to a European superleague and be left with only plastic fans, so empty stadiums.  In the mean time new clubs clubs like FC United, Islington Artillery Men, Kensington, and Merseyside Reds should be given some help to come into being for the real fans of the big 4.

Hear hear. Beautifully put.

I think it''s bad idea too but not for some of the reasons I see on this thread to date.

Of course, we are learning of this as it has been proposed, which is early days. However, surely the concept of promoting a sport globally is already underway in other sports. British football is simply trying to look for a way for Premiership football to tap into that concept. The unanimous support of all 20 teams to further examine this concept speaks for itself. While one might question the motives of the top teams, many of these teams know there is no guarantee that they will necessarily be in the Premiership in the future, so it isn''t as if they can be accused of only thinking selfishly.

My negative perspective on the initial concept as proposed is that it just isn''t practical. Twenty teams fly out of the UK on flights to points as distant as Asia to play one game, and then fly back again. I see all kinds of folly in that thinking. I don''t know whether or not that''s cost effective but, having spent many years traveling around the world on short-trip turnarounds, I can state emphatically it''s not performance effective, either in the coming or the going. Not only that, I can just imagine the concept being viewed by the participants, ( players, owners, managers, staff, traveling media ) as a junket approach and "what other fun can we have while we''re there" attitude, which may further detract from performance. I also have similar thoughts on the NFL "game" that''s played in the UK although, at the moment, that only involves two teams.

With respect to fan attraction in foreign cities, well, my reaction might be lukewarm. For example, if I was in Florida for winter vacation and within reasonable proximity to Miami, would I be highly motivated to get to the game, particularly if it did not involve one of the top half dozen sides. I''m not sure I would, and I''m a big fan of British football. I think this concept needs a hell of lot more thinking than what appears to have been put into it up to now. In fact, I think what''s required is a more radical approach altogether. Possibly for British football to engage in a two week winter break for British fans, for example, while these teams fly off to their distant points for TWO games in good weather cities. Reduce the number of games played in England to 36, and ensure there is a means of satellite coverage so the feeling of "loss" to home fans is minimized, reduce season ticket prices and make it a key objective that any foreign initiative has to far more than offset the revenue loss at home. However, I would not go into this full bore with 20 teams. I would do a pilot test with 4 teams ( either in Miami or Shanghai for example ) and measure the impact before expanding the concept.

Finally, I think before Richard Scudamore engages in political speak he needs to think through the specifics of his message and give fans a little more substance to support the conceptual thinking. He says:

"We are a better competition for being a cosmopolitan league and have benefited from our increased international reach.

"Nonetheless, it is critical we retain our English character by improving our efforts to produce home-grown talent, deepening our commitment to community engagement and continuing our investment in the grass-roots."

I believe those two statements fly in the face of each other and Mr.Scudamore should put his football hat on first before making such statements and trying to sound like a well-heeled politician trodding the halls of Westminster.

[quote user="we8wba"]

yep soon be like nfl really

we will see games such as spurs v newcastle taking place in usa and like manutd in asia etc...

[/quote]

thats why they''re calling it over-seas ........

Maybe supporters should be specifying their preference for ''Non-Televised Football'' because that is the distinction.

''I support non-televised league football.''

the whole thing is disgusting. capitalism at its extreme worst. The integrity of our game and the traditions that the people have built will vanish, and for what? to make rich men richer.It''s a sad day.

I personally think that it will struggle to get off the ground.

A few reasons why.

I''ll use the NFL and the US as an example seeing as this is who we are clearly trying to copy.

There is far less loyalty in the states at the proffesional level, teams will move at the offer of a better stadium etc and this even applies to teams who have strong connections to a city, see the Cleveland Browns for an example of this.

Because teams have less loyalty and less of a connection they can dictate to their fans much easier, how else would they have got away with robbing Miami fans of what was the equvilant of 1/8th of their home season? Simple they are used to the teams and the leauge bossing them around just for blatant profiteering, I don''t think that the average football fan in this country would stick being deprived of a home game quite as blatantly as that.

If as previously mentioned they did make it a 39 game season with the extra game counting as a draw those games would be as meaningless as pre-season friendies, which they already do so why bother? Also as previously mentioned if the games were full on competitve and a team who got relegated played Arsenal 3 times while the team who finished 17th played someone like Reading as their extra game surely they might have grounds for sueing the Premier Leauge as it is after all a business and the team who stayed up were given an unfair advantage. In addition if they did go on the one point model a market like the US would surely lose a lot of interest unless one of the big four were not involved, after all would they really be interested in a game like Tottenham v Reading if there is nothing riding on it? Sure Tottenham v Reading is actually quite a good entertaining Premiership game but would they see it that way if nothing is riding on it and they haven''t heard of either teams.

In short we are trying to copy them, but our game is different and it is run different, so what works for them may not for us.

Someone mentioned that the Premiership would be a closed shop in 5 years time, I really don''t see it myself, so much so I''d say that the idea is a load of rubbish. I still don''t think there will be Aafull on European Super leauge, people were banging on about it 10 years ago saying it was a matter of time but we are still no closer.

Our game is dying a slow death, people go on about the middle class, yuppies and yanks but we invited it on us by selling out and allowing the Premier leauge to happen. It has got bigger and bigger, teams have got greedier, some made themselves PLC''s and then bang! half the leauge is owned by foreigners. 

There are two things we should copy from America, one is the grassroots system which is the College system and another is salary caps.

Bit of a brain dump, if you stuck it to the end well done!!!

[quote user="Steve H"]

I personally think that it will struggle to get off the ground.

A few reasons why.

I''ll use the NFL and the US as an example seeing as this is who we are clearly trying to copy.

There is far less loyalty in the states at the proffesional level, teams will move at the offer of a better stadium etc and this even applies to teams who have strong connections to a city, see the Cleveland Browns for an example of this.

Because teams have less loyalty and less of a connection they can dictate to their fans much easier, how else would they have got away with robbing Miami fans of what was the equvilant of 1/8th of their home season? Simple they are used to the teams and the leauge bossing them around just for blatant profiteering, I don''t think that the average football fan in this country would stick being deprived of a home game quite as blatantly as that.

If as previously mentioned they did make it a 39 game season with the extra game counting as a draw those games would be as meaningless as pre-season friendies, which they already do so why bother? Also as previously mentioned if the games were full on competitve and a team who got relegated played Arsenal 3 times while the team who finished 17th played someone like Reading as their extra game surely they might have grounds for sueing the Premier Leauge as it is after all a business and the team who stayed up were given an unfair advantage. In addition if they did go on the one point model a market like the US would surely lose a lot of interest unless one of the big four were not involved, after all would they really be interested in a game like Tottenham v Reading if there is nothing riding on it? Sure Tottenham v Reading is actually quite a good entertaining Premiership game but would they see it that way if nothing is riding on it and they haven''t heard of either teams.

In short we are trying to copy them, but our game is different and it is run different, so what works for them may not for us.

Someone mentioned that the Premiership would be a closed shop in 5 years time, I really don''t see it myself, so much so I''d say that the idea is a load of rubbish. I still don''t think there will be Aafull on European Super leauge, people were banging on about it 10 years ago saying it was a matter of time but we are still no closer.

Our game is dying a slow death, people go on about the middle class, yuppies and yanks but we invited it on us by selling out and allowing the Premier leauge to happen. It has got bigger and bigger, teams have got greedier, some made themselves PLC''s and then bang! half the leauge is owned by foreigners. 

There are two things we should copy from America, one is the grassroots system which is the College system and another is salary caps.

Bit of a brain dump, if you stuck it to the end well done!!!

[/quote]

i follow the nfl, its only selected few team who ever move, in more recent times no one has moved at all in the last 10 or so years. to say loyalty is low over there is somewhat wrong. new york giants get 90k per game minimum! new england patriots and st.louis rams are sold out for the next 7years. so thats hardly miss loyalty in my opinion.

but on this topic

how many times have we heard wenger, ferguson say

"we play to many games"