Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

SHOULD WE HAVE A NEW STATUE?

I was intrigued to read a few days ago about the new life size bronze statue of legendary football manager Brian Clough in Nottingham city centre.It got me thinking really, if we were to have a new statue designed and put up at Carrow Road, who would it be and why?It would be great if it was someone who played and managed the club, but it doesn''t necessarily have to be this way.So who would you choose as a memorial statue and for what reason?

Re: SHOULD WE HAVE A NEW STATUE?

No, I think we have sufficient inanimate objects in the Chief Exec and the NCFC board.....

I remember this coming up before only not as a memorial statue. I think Geoffrey Watling should have some sort of memorial at the club. We remember Barry Butler every year with the player of the year trophy so we should have something to remember Geoffrey Watling by.

If it was not a memorial statue then my suggestion would be Kevin Keelan who was part of so many good memories for so long.

As for managers, In my time Ron Saunders would be a contender for being the first manager to get us into the top division, and John Bond brought an exciting style to our play and exciting players to the club but won nothing. Mike Walker was manager as we attained our highest position but wasn''t really here long enough. So Ken Brown, won us two trophies, would possibly be the best choice if it was a manager.

Geoffrey Watling would be my choice if it was a chairman or director although none of them have been universally popular and I remember fans protesting about all the boards of my time. Although I do remember Wiz campaigning for a staue for Delia not too many years ago!!!!!

How about the faces of Smudger, Ist Wizard and Arthur, Mount Rushmore style?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

No, I think we have sufficient inanimate objects in the Chief Exec and the NCFC board.....

[/quote]

In that case Mello, would you be supportive of a small amount of money being spent on a few pigeons?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I remember this coming up before only not as a memorial statue. I think Geoffrey Watling should have some sort of memorial at the club. We remember Barry Butler every year with the player of the year trophy so we should have something to remember Geoffrey Watling by.

If it was not a memorial statue then my suggestion would be Kevin Keelan who was part of so many good memories for so long.

As for managers, In my time Ron Saunders would be a contender for being the first manager to get us into the top division, and John Bond brought an exciting style to our play and exciting players to the club but won nothing. Mike Walker was manager as we attained our highest position but wasn''t really here long enough. So Ken Brown, won us two trophies, would possibly be the best choice if it was a manager.

Geoffrey Watling would be my choice if it was a chairman or director although none of them have been universally popular and I remember fans protesting about all the boards of my time. Although I do remember Wiz campaigning for a staue for Delia not too many years ago!!!!!

[/quote] Watling already has a stand named after him though....

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

In that case Mello, would you be supportive of a small amount of money being spent on a few pigeons?

[/quote]

Yes, I ''wood'' be supportive of a few pigeons......if they were allowed access to ''Cloud Cuckoo Land'' also known as ''Directusboxus notalottadoshus''.....and able to deposit their droppings where they would go unnoticed.

Incidentally, I have a pet pigeon called Walter......

[/quote]

[/quote]Very good!

Geoffrey Watling is the obvious candidate; I would have thought there is sufficient space on the area behind the Barclay for a decent sized statue.  Exactly a year ago I went up to Blackpool for the FA cup game and was mightily impressed to see the statues of both of the ‘Stanley’s’ outside the ground and its something I would love to see done at Carrow Road. 

On a separate note and possibly a contentious one at that I think it is time for a young player of the year award and given he was the first true superstar to arrive through the ranks I would like to see a lasting memorial for Justin Fashanu.  As I said, contentious but a truly great player and an absolute tragedy.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I ''wood'' be supportive of a few pigeons......if they were allowed access to ''Cloud Cuckoo Land'' also known as ''Directusboxus notalottadoshus''.....and able to deposit their droppings where they would go unnoticed.

Incidentally, I have a pet pigeon called Walter......

[/quote]

Your comment probably leaves some of the youngsters on this forum in the dark Mello. Still, you are used to provoking such reaction from many of all ages.

Yes I do think that we should have a statue of a famous Norwich City and I can not think of any one better than Mr Watling.

[/quote]

[/quote]

No need.

They''re already nesting.

OTBC

Just to get all literary and off topic, I agree with Mr Chops. ''Pastoralia'' is a good read - particularly ''Firpo'' and the one about the dead aunt!

why has no one mentioned dave stringer,  as whole hearted player as you would ever want to see, brought the best crop of players through his youth team and a pretty solid stint as manager, i think he ticks just about every box, it should have nothing to do with money as that is what is killing football, what makes a club are clubmen like dave

How about a statue of Bryan Hamilton with his arm round Delia, He could be made from Emrald or Blarney Stone and she could be made from marzipan???  Thats my vote

[quote user="Bury Green"]

Geoffrey

Watling is the obvious candidate; I would have thought there is

sufficient space on the area behind the Barclay for a decent sized

statue.  Exactly a year ago I went up to

Blackpool for the FA cup game and was mightily impressed to see the

statues of both of the ‘Stanley’s’ outside the ground and its something

I would love to see done at Carrow Road. 

On

a separate note and possibly a contentious one at that I think it is

time for a young player of the year award and given he was the first

true superstar to arrive through the ranks I would like to see a

lasting memorial for Justin Fashanu.  As I said, contentious but a truly great player and an absolute tragedy.

[/quote]Really pleased to read this Post. Some years ago I wrote to the Board about this. Personally I feel that Justin should have been honoured by Norwich City Football Club, and I am sorry this has not happened. He was a very special person for us young City fans, and as I said in my letter, he was certainly a massive influence on me, and made me a fan for Life. An adopted son of Norfolk. One day someone will write the book, what a poignant story. 

[quote user="Smudger"]

If I saw the Donkey in the City then I would tell him how crap he was to his face, that he was a disgrace to the yellow & green shirt and one of the major reasons why I can''t be arsed to trundle along to Carrow Road at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon despite supporting the club for 26 years.

[/quote]

So - you support the club but don''t go to games because you don''t like one player?

You really are a muppet.  Doc has been quality this season.  My only regret is sharing a stadium with seemingly a thousand vocal morons who have a slightly less extreme (but no less pathetic) view than yourself.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Smudger"]

If I saw the Donkey in the City then I would tell him how crap he was to his face, that he was a disgrace to the yellow & green shirt and one of the major reasons why I can''t be arsed to trundle along to Carrow Road at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon despite supporting the club for 26 years.

[/quote]

So - you support the club but don''t go to games because you don''t like one player?

You really are a muppet.  Doc has been quality this season.  My only regret is sharing a stadium with seemingly a thousand vocal morons who have a slightly less extreme (but no less pathetic) view than yourself.

[/quote]

Yawn, yawn you are as boring as watching the Donkey himself!!!

I feel sorry for poor suckers like you who get fleeced to watch players that aren''t even good enough to represent a Conference side.

Even I would run rings around the Doc... and that really is saying something.

Played for a team that was relegated and a team that has yet to finish in the top half of a very poor league since... yeah the facts speak for themselves.

If this club ever does move forwards again then Doc will have long gone... hopefully he will of taken a few of his idiotic fans with him!!!