Sign in to follow this  
Worcester Yellow

Canary Crest

[quote user="1902chris"]Fans usual reaction to change is negative but  we have all changed with the game over the last 20 years, so I wouldn''t be against changing the badge if it was a strong enough design. I''d like to see the badge ''toughened up'' to reflect the battling attitude and future direction of the club. I do think the canary at present is just tooo nice and too harmless.[/quote]What would you prefer, Norwich Warhawks?  A(K)47 Hell Eagles?

Where the problem on changing the crest? or in the re branding of the club.  its being done to symbolise the future of the club.  there has been many clubs up and down the country doing the same thign and moving forward with the time.  The current badge will become part of the history of the club.   I wonder if this same thing happened 37 years ago. did the fans moan and groan then when this kid won the competition and £10 ????  whatever happened we still go the current  badge out of it anf everyone lived with it.  how about we see what the club comes up with and then make a decision in wether we like it or not?

Thankfully not, I''m not easily influenced by America ,by guns or by computer games as I guess you might be to suggest something as banal as that.

[quote user="Ghostly"][quote user="1902chris"]Fans usual reaction to change is negative but  we have all changed with the game over the last 20 years, so I wouldn''t be against changing the badge if it was a strong enough design. I''d like to see the badge ''toughened up'' to reflect the battling attitude and future direction of the club. I do think the canary at present is just tooo nice and too harmless.[/quote]

What would you prefer, Norwich Warhawks?  A(K)47 Hell Eagles?
[/quote]

Norwich City CanaryColts?! :P

Joke i wouldn''t change it for the world. NO need for a change in this case.

[quote user="1902chris"]Thankfully not, I''m not easily influenced by America ,by guns or by computer games as I guess you might be to suggest something as banal as that.[/quote]By the looks of your avatar, you are blatantly are.........

I''m not in favour of changing it, or even ''updating'' it a little. It''s the badge I''ve grown up with; it''s the badge I spent ages drawing as a kid; it''s the badge my three year old daughter calls "Daddy''s Birdy". In short, it''s the badge tattooed on my heart, if not my skin.Surely the Club learnt a lesson when it ditched the green shorts a few years ago; we like the things that make Norwich City FC the special club it is, and the badge and the colours are a big part of that: ask any fan in the country ''who plays in yellow and green'' or ''whose badge is a canary'' and you won''t get many wrong answers!But if you ask ''who plays in blue and white'' or ''whose badge is a lion'' you''ll get dozens of answers.To be fair, this is just an idea floated at a ''think tank'' on which supporters sit, so hopefully there''s no real chance of this going anywhere! MLS

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Dont panic. The board intend to put the final decision to the fans
[/quote]

Another board thing you know, eh FFS.

Which fans?

OTBC

I would imagine they are wanting to update the image a bit to try and attract the kids (the next generation of supporter) and save them from a life of supporting Man U / Chelsea etc. At the end of the day, updating the logo slightly isn''t going to stop any existing fan supporting the club, we are hooked for life,  so there is little danger  I would have thought.Then add in new merchandising opps and  new logo trademarks and I''m sure the financial benefits  add up. However, the best way of keeping the kids interested in Norwich is to improve the ''product'' on the pitch. There have been far too many no-shows by the players in recent times, how can you expect a kid these days to be that interested when the players don''t seem to be? I would imagine an 8 year old would be more likely to pick Norwich after the Leicester game than after the Bury game...

If it is true our shirt sponsor is going to be Banham Poultry next season, perphaps the crest will be a chicken.

Lets hope the bored put in 2 bob for players.............

Just for laughs (city fans always need cheering up), how about suggestions for the new crest. With points for the most daft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the problem on changing the crest?  Well simply it doesn''t need changing and from what ''ve read on the message board today, a vast majority of fans don''t want it changed.  We are not a brand, I do not want a customer number, I would like to see a club management and board that reflects the aims and ambitions of the fans.  I agree this smacks of a diversionary tactic, but we''ve all seen what happens at government level.  One minute its a stupid idea that no-one should take seriously and the next its sitting there in front of us large as life, twice as ugly and costing us a fortune.  The badge is a thing of beauty and should remain a joy forever. 

Concur with most of opinions on here. Leave it alone and concentrate on the running of the football club. Its fine just as it is-represents the Club and the City and certainly doesn''t look outdated, infact, has a nice contemporary look about it now, as it did when it was first introduced.

BT are one of the companies that spent a fortune on changing their logo, from the simple and efficient "BT" they went for the ridiculous "piper"-logo, then, deciding that they didn''t like that, went for the globe-type one they have today, it hasn''t enhanced them as a company, it hasn''t updated and made them seem sexy and a "must have", its just corporate branding, jobs for the boys, money paid, business lunches, slapped backs and fed egos.

Ditto the BBC. Whats the point of hippos and all those other idents, they''re a TV company, "BBC" will do! Same again, massage those egos and spend money keeping marketing happy, ridiculous-and that is our money they''re spending.

It wouldn''t surprise me at all if this sudden urge to change the club badge wasn''t down to something else happening within the club, maybe linked with someone coming on the board, else doing a marketing or sponsorship thing, else offering us business or promising to have all their corporate lunches at the club and meetings etc for the next "ten years", "...maybe we could do something with your badge for you as we are now your partners...?", nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no...wait, "we''ll consult the fans", ahhhh, now we can sit back with our cigars and feel better about it!

This, to me, is a pathetic attempt by the club to divert our attention while they continue to fail in the transfer market...........again.

Wise up people!.[:|]

[quote user="1902chris"]Fans usual reaction to change is negative but  we have all changed with the game over the last 20 years, so I wouldn''t be against changing the badge if it was a strong enough design. I''d like to see the badge ''toughened up'' to reflect the battling attitude and future direction of the club. I do think the canary at present is just tooo nice and too harmless.[/quote]

Well if you want the badge to reflect our current plight,and you say the current badge is to soft,well i personally think it sums up our lot at the minute. sorry but toughness and egg boiling really dont go together!

Well, there''s a clever canary. An irrelevant sentance which makes no sense. Let me see now, because my avatar is a cartoon, I''m influenced by America ? A well constructed and intelligent point..........not 

[quote user="1902chris"]Well, there''s a clever canary. An irrelevant sentance which makes no sense. Let me see now, because my avatar is a cartoon, I''m influenced by America ? A well constructed and intelligent point..........not [/quote]A cartoon in a particularly ''American'' sports style might I add.I''m surprised that someone as intelligent as yourself was unable to grasp the concept of basic sarcasm, clearly evident in my initial reply.  I can only presume that it was too lowbrow for you?  Although your reliance on ''not'' jokes suggests otherwise.....

Am not particularly in favour of changing the badge, it has been the same pretty much all my life and does seem to be quite a classic design already - but I certainly don''t see any reason why those at the club shouldn''t look into it along with whatever else; you can be pretty sure that it would only be changed with the fans say so, as that is the sort of club we support (not that many seem to think so). 

Those who are ''anti'' any change purely on a "tradition" argument should perhaps think about the fact that it has only been the way it is for c35 years but the club has been in existence for over 100.....if you really want to use ''tradition'' as the reason, why should it be that we keep this particular element of it over any of the others - ie why not use the initial club badge.

There are things that I could happily see change - that weird squirly corporate font that they use (with the elongated ''h'') is rather dire for starters....

The Norwich City club badge still looks great and very modern even though it was first used in the early 1970''s, so theres absolutely no point in changing it!

The very reason it was brought in then was cause the old design was looking very old and we needed a much better design. The badge now doesn''t look old, we don''t need a better design cause I don''t think their would be one so therefore it doesn''t need changing!

Like those who critiscise our club anthem - On the ball City, which itself is also original and great.Remember the scum haven''t got an original song and their ''tractor boys'' nickname was nicked from a mid Suffolk pub team!

Some people have to moan about something and assume that other clubs are so much better of and we have to move with the times but thats all rubbish, Changing this great club design would be scandalous!

Most people have forgot that we did change our badge for one kit whcih was the 2002, 100th year anniversary shirt and that badge design wasn''t a patch (pardon the pun!) on our usual badge!

The Norwich City  club badge is instantly recognisable Nationwide and also in many other Countries, its really smart!!

Like the green shorts in the late 1990''s our smart club badge should STAY AS IT IS, THERES NOWT WRONG WITH IT!

Having been involved in a corporate branding exercise, from experience I can tell you that it does not come cheap, in fact design companies charge outrageous fees to create a brand image for companies. I really don''t think we need to spend money on this kind of activity.

The current design is simple, to-the-point, timeless, and unique. It does exactly what a brand logo ought to do, that is to identify with the image of the club. The majority of football fans in the country, I suggest, recognise our logo as Norwich City FC.

Incredible that it only cost us a tenner.

It works, so keep it.

I''m also going through a corporate "re-branding" exercise at present and the last thing on the agenda is the corporate logo (i.e. the club crest in this case).  The start point is getting all the staff (and I mean all the staff so directors, managers, administration team as well as players and fans in City''s case) to identify where they want the club to be in five years time.  Then work out what it will take to get us there.  You would think this should be a no-brainer for a football club but I guess they have to choose between the Ipswich way (sell out to the first two-bob billionaire walking past) or the way of the big four (so five years might be a little bit difficult seeing as how they have been practising it for nigh on 40 years - aside from Chelsky but that''s another phenomenon), as our alternative of the community club is not really working (check out Charlton as much as any other team like us). 

So the question must be is whether the current business model of a "community" club has now its course at Carrow Road and they are seriously looking at an alternative model?  If so does this mean change of ownership is a distinct possibility all round now?  The recent departure of the FD with a pretty short recruitment timetable for the relpacement hinting at a done deal, seems to imply something is happening behind the scenes.  There''d be little point in progressing a re-brand unless there was a plan for a different business model.  Just playing with the crest wouldn''t change things without other major issues within the club being sorted out.

Or, as noted a few times above, is it merely a way of diverting some of the fans current anger at the board away from team matters and focussing it on something for which they have no plans to change at all anyway.

PS:  as for the font used by the club, well it''s not seen anywhere else so I think like the crest is indelibly linked to the club.  So keep the crest, keep the font!

leave it alone! most of us have grown up with it and its a symbol of pride for local people.. the Norwich "castle" crest appears in it.. meaning we keep our proud identity...

a sad day if it is replaced.

jas :)

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Dont panic. The board intend to put the final decision to the fans
[/quote]

Another board thing you know, eh FFS.

Which fans?

OTBC

[/quote]

"Final" decision presumably means AFTER they''ve spent money on a new design . . .

I''m stunned by some of these reactions - ''Change?  Ooh, no, we don''t have any of THAT around here...''

Yes, the badge is a good one and doesn''t really need changing, but sometimes change can be for the better.  For example, Everton have only recently (last 5 or 6 years?) started including ''1878'' in their badge - but this has been universally applauded by Evertonians.  So if there were subtle changes to our crest to inlcude 1902, or the words ''On the Ball City'', I would have absoultely NO objections to this.  A major rebranding seems unnecessary, but a few minor alterations looks like a good idea to me.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

I''m stunned by some of these reactions - ''Change?  Ooh, no, we don''t have any of THAT around here...''

Yes, the badge is a good one and doesn''t really need changing, but sometimes change can be for the better.  For example, Everton have only recently (last 5 or 6 years?) started including ''1878'' in their badge - but this has been universally applauded by Evertonians.  So if there were subtle changes to our crest to inlcude 1902, or the words ''On the Ball City'', I would have absoultely NO objections to this.  A major rebranding seems unnecessary, but a few minor alterations looks like a good idea to me.

[/quote]

I understand your point but with clubs like Arsenal and Everton ,they have a fan base that''s world wide and from a business point it makes sense to re-brand sometimes to go along with the times and image of the club. NCFC on the other hand have no reason at this moment in time to do such a thing and the badge should continue to portray its local image. Its a bit pointless and the time and energy should be spent on more pressing needs. I''m not against a a couple of subtle changes if and when we are in a position to need to re-band as long as it stayed traditional to the club but it really is a non starter in my eyes at the mo.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

[/quote]

I understand your point but with clubs like Arsenal and Everton ,they have a fan base that''s world wide and from a business point it makes sense to re-brand sometimes to go along with the times and image of the club. NCFC on the other hand have no reason at this moment in time to do such a thing and the badge should continue to portray its local image. Its a bit pointless and the time and energy should be spent on more pressing needs. I''m not against a a couple of subtle changes if and when we are in a position to need to re-band as long as it stayed traditional to the club but it really is a non starter in my eyes at the mo.

[/quote]

Agreed Arthur - now is probably not the time to do it.  If we were to gain promotion again, that would be a good time - but let''s avoid the drop first, eh?

It''s more the reaction by some on here - you would think we were talking about something drastic, like moving the club to suffolk or summat.....