Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Hold yer horses guys and gals!

Why is everybody getting worked up by us not getting any "first team" players or spending loads of money? We are 5 points clear of the relegation zone. We are unbeaten in 10 and we just won our last match. Surely this form is good enough to see us not relegated. We''ve signed 3 more loan signings too, and probably another player or two might come in before the deadline as well. Surely we are equipped now to survive this season. I think all but a couple people would say that the play-offs are too far out of reach now. Besides, if we had/do go out and buy 5/6 players then surely that would ruin the chemistry of the team we have now. Apart from a few changes here and there and a few players leaving/coming back, the team has been very similar over those 10 games we have been unbeaten. If Glenn spends his money now on players with inflated prices we are not going to have any money to spend in the summer. Do we really want to sign another Chris Brown? I don''t want us to, I don''t think most fans do. That''s exactly what will happen if we want to buy players at over-inflated prices. I think Glenn is doing the right thing waiting for the summer and the right time to buy the right players.Glenn has already shown us that he has an eye for a talented players. We have the players and the capability to have a promotion push next season, we just need to buy some more quality so that we can do so next season. There''s going to be a lot of team building to do next season. Glenn has got rid of the players we needed to get rid of. He''s got to sort out our youth players and he needs to find replacements for dublin and huckerby. I think all would agree replacing those two alone is going to take careful deliberation, time and money. I''d rather Glenn do that in the summer, when he can fully concentrate on bring the talent in.So let''s get behind the manager and the new young players and let''s keep our run up!OTBC.

Well Said Fellas, it''s nice to see some common sense on the board for once! Myself, I''m pleased we''ve signed these 3 players on loan. Despite what people think Matthew Bates has played 30+ times for Middlesboro and will provide good competiton for Doherty and Shackell (or would you have prefered we panic buyed and got some piece of crap). The other two kids will provide competition as they are here to play!

I''d much prefer Roedor to keep the money in the vault if he is unsure of the players he is buying, I dont want him shelling out £500,000 for some risky prospect and then it turns out he''s crap!

On the Ball City!

Depends.. Some would argue wait until the end of the season so we dont get ripped off.

Some would say buy now, let the team settle. Then we will be in a great position to attack promotion.

Ill put my trust in Glenn.

For now im happy, we have a successful first team who are ten unbeaten. We now have good cover apart from striker (Lets hope that attacking player is signed). I think we are in a very good position for the future.

[quote user="BBFF"]

Why is it always going to be next season?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]So where do you think we can end up if we bought Taylor and this Scunny player?In reality we can say that our unbeaten run should extend for another match at least. We have conceeded very few goals recently, so will taylor''s addition actually affect us that much at the back. Maybe he might help us going forward, that''s to be debated. Is this scunny player better than Evans, Dublin and Cureton. On the evidence i''d say no. So then we have to ask why pay £1million for a player we don''t need. Sounds like jarett and brown buying to me.In reality our season was over before grant was sacked. We were never going to challenge for a play-off spot after that. The fact we are still 9 points off the play-offs despite a 10 match unbeaten streak says it all. I''d rather we not waste our money again.

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

because whenever someone dares to mention getting in the play-off''s they then get all the doom and gloom people jumping down there throats.

you can''t win with some people really can you?

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]It''s called "hope".  It usually comes before despair, but it has to be better than despair all the time I''d have thought.  Try it, you might like it.

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Because when Roeder took over Grant had left us five points adrift of safety and he has had to do what was necessary to ensure survival this year - or do you think he could realistically have taken us from that position to promotion in what was left of this season - cos I don''t think that that is very likely. In fact, everytime anybody even mentions the prospect of promotion this season they get jumped on aggressively like ton of bricks. Clear enough for ya?

In fact, I know you are just making a rhetorical point and didn''t even intend for this question to be answered but I thought I would anyway, just to be facetious. [:)] 

[quote user="Fellas"]Why is everybody getting worked up by us not getting any "first team" players or spending loads of money? [/quote]

because some people would moan;

If we were in the automatic promotion places we don''t a squad to survive in the premier league

If we were midtable prem that we weren''t ambitious enough to get into Europe

If we won the Premier league that we''d stand no chance in the Champion''s league

If we did all that, that there weren''t any players from Norfolk who bleed green n yella

As long as we''re going in the right direction (and that means a

realisic chance of promotion this, next or maybe the season afterwards)

and the players are playing to 100% of their ability, I''m mostly happy,

shame on me.

Look at it this way, if we write off the rest of this season and again try to build in the summer, it will take time again for players to gel next season, so would we be saying wait till next season again and so on????? If you see what I''m getting at.

Start to really build that team now so next season most of the players would be up and running as a team.

We cant keep saying it will be next season. That much sort after next season will have to be here one day? 

The board would like it always to be next season to show really on the pitch ambition but with the support the clubs been given by us ticket buying fans the board cant play that card any longer.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"]

Look at it this way, if we write off the rest of this season and again try to build in the summer, it will take time again for players to gel next season, so would we be saying wait till next season again and so on????? If you see what I''m getting at.

Start to really build that team now so next season most of the players would be up and running as a team.

We cant keep saying it will be next season. That much sort after next season will have to be here one day? 

The board would like it always to be next season to show really on the pitch ambition but with the support the clubs been given by us ticket buying fans the board cant play that card any longer.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

As I see it, we are not writing off this season - we are desperately trying to make sure that we don''t get relegated to league 1. If that takes signing loans that Roeder feels are up to that task then so be it, imo!  

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

So where do you think we can end up if we bought Taylor and this Scunny player?

In reality we can say that our unbeaten run should extend for another match at least. We have conceeded very few goals recently, so will taylor''s addition actually affect us that much at the back. Maybe he might help us going forward, that''s to be debated. Is this scunny player better than Evans, Dublin and Cureton. On the evidence i''d say no. So then we have to ask why pay £1million for a player we don''t need. Sounds like jarett and brown buying to me.

In reality our season was over before grant was sacked. We were never going to challenge for a play-off spot after that. The fact we are still 9 points off the play-offs despite a 10 match unbeaten streak says it all. I''d rather we not waste our money again.
[/quote]

Fellas, I agree with what you say in your opening post about not wasting money on another Chris Brown. I also agree when you say that we have conceded very few goals recently. But I believe that the two Martins, Taylor and Paterson, would be really useful additions to the squad and not a waste of money.

Taylor because, as I''m sure most of us know, is very good in the air, very good in the tackle and can play the ball intelligently on the ground rather than just hoof it up the pitch. Indeed, I feel that Taylor could make an excellent partner for Gary Doherty in this sense. What Taylor lacks in pace, he makes up for in other areas of his game. He reminds me a lot of Malky Mackay. I say an excellent partner for Gary Doherty, because he''s played very well lately, whereas Shackell, bar his performance against Southampton, just hasn''t. One good solid performance in a run of so many games just isn''t enough.

Paterson is only 21 and has scored 10 goals in 24 games for Scunthorpe. That''s as many as Cureton and Evans put together, not that I''m criticising the pair of them, just merely making an observation. Scoring that many in a struggling Championship side such as theirs must be no mean feat, surely? I know what their chairman Steve Wharton has said, about him not being available for even £5m, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he''ll go for a lot less than that either today or during the summer.

If, and it''s a big if, we happen to sign the pair of them for around a £1m each, then I think that''s £2m very well spent by the club. If we do that then, along with the other players we have here like Marshall, Camara, Rusty, Fozzy, Bertrand, Croft, Hucks, Evans (provided he definitely stays until the end of the season) and Curo then we will for certain finish in the top half of the table. Maybe, just maybe, if we can sign the two Martins and keep this run going by beating Preston at home on Saturday, then a late charge for the play-offs may just be on the cards.

If we don''t sign these two, either on more loan deals or any other players of their ilk, then I would expect a comfortable mid-table finish. And, after the absolutely horrendous start to this season, I would be VERY relieved about that!