Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

ROEDER IS AHEAD OF HIS TIME AND IS SHOWING THE FA THE WAY!

Right from the off I referred to Glenn Roeder as an old style FA type football man, since then he has only disappointed me slightly by taking off the suit and putting on a blazer. That said, the track-suit looks suitably 1970''s so he does get away with it a bit.

I like the way he sits imperiously in the stands so when he comes down to the touchline he does so to effect.

Roeder, for me is like an establishment figure, Trevor Brooking for example, and he is now showing his national Association a way forward when it comes to developing our own talent.

Brian Barwick bemoans the paucity of English players in Premier League sides and Capello has a limited pool of players who are playing at the highest level to choose from. At under 21 level this problem is worse and many of our best boys are failing to get games to develop.

Take Ched Evans as an example. He is quality and wants to play, he gets that here  under a top manager and learns to cope with the physicality while utilising his ability: Sven must be delighted. The same thing goes for Bertrand and previously to Pattison who decided he wanted to be a part of it full time and transferred. Jimmy Smith is now festering at Chelsea when he would surely have preferred to be playing. Now, in come a fresh clutch of young guns with a platform to establish themselves.

There is no doubt that in order to have the proper volume of emerging English players and to a lesser extent British players the arena to play competitive football has to be created and Roeder is creating it here. Instead of a squad of dead-wood drawing wages on long contracts he has youth, quality and hunger on the threshold of top careers on shape up or ship out deals. He has done this because he has the contacts and because other top managers trust him with their charges.

Yes, these kinds of player might be on short recalls, but so what? We are getting them in and in a win - win situation are helping ourselves, their parent Club and the national team. This HAS to be the way forward, the best players playing weekly FOR REAL thus improving the national resource.

Well done Glenn, I know there is nothing new in loans but the way you are utilising them in volume for me makes you a man ahead of your time. If successful in the league I expect this curve to continue, some of these players will want to join us permanently whereas they previously wouldn''t have considered us and for those of us who can see how you are trying to build this Club please keep up the superb work.

This is a really insightful and well thought out post and I applaud the points made BUT I think alot a supporters would feel somewhat less nervous with more of a mix of loan ratio/permanent and youth/proven championship. Glenn is looking at the bigger picture I firmly believe again BUT we are not out of the woods yet and blooding youth within this league has the element of gamble. I personally would have preferred a slightly different balance.

I posted something similar, but not as well as you`ve done this Rude, on another thread. Roeder is developing a different strategy, something none of us had foreseen, and it will take a bit of getting used to. Lets just let this sink in a bit before we all start whinging about the Board not spending money, lets allow ourselves to take the blinkers off for a while and realise that possibly something very exciting is kicking off at our club. 

Don''t get me wrong as I am glad that Roeder has brought in these loans given the current market and our situation, however I do not want us turned into an Academy for either England or the established Premiership clubs... this only works for us if we can turn some of these moves into permanent deals and that will depend not only on the players wanting to stay here but the Board backing the manager with the money

Thoroughly agree with everything you said Mr F.  I''d settle for an Arsenal reserve team if it got us into the Premiership, and it looks like Roeder has attempted, as far as the rules allow, to bring in the best available English version of that on loan.Young, hungry, fit, competitive Premiership standard players, this could be the kick up the parts that Martin, the Jarvises etc need.  Probably not too expensive too - and that''s a good thing, isn''t it ?  To listen to some on here I''m not so sure any more... [:S]

This is not good enough Mr Hucker. Where in your post is the endless spelling mistakes ? Where is the sheep like bleat at the board. Where the self pitying whine about how the fans are being robbed. Why no comment about someone having all the money away ? It is this kind of post that would have outsiders thinking that this forum isn''t filled with semi literate, attention seekers.

I am all for having young players in our team, and of course helping to take them forward so they can go on to play for England (as Rude Old points out).

The one thing that I see as a negative is why we can''t source some of them from our own academy. GR is obviously keen on bringing on young players (as his time at Newcastle showed).

I would like some evidence from him and the board to say he is looking at doing something to make sure our club can produce a few a year, although I do want to emphasise I would rather have talented young players on loan than couldn''t care less journeymen.

The standard and style of football is already improving and this for me is the biggest plus during GR''s time here.

Are you advocating NCFC becomes some sort of feeder club to Arsenal then Rude Old?

Rudolph, I think that I agree with the general thrust of your post although I  am yet to be fully convinced.

It is certainly an innovative approach to the realities of the situation that he finds himself in.

At least the arrangements should ensure that he gets 100% out of all squad members for the next 2-3 months, which is crucial to our survival in the CCC this season. It will be intriguing to see where he takes it from there.

OTBC

[quote]The one thing that I see as a negative is why we can''t source some of them from our own academy. GR is obviously keen on bringing on young players (as his time at Newcastle showed).[/quote]

If academy graduates had shown the same ability / drive / commitment as the player we''ve brought in, then GR would not have had to go and find players who have it.  I hope that our boys pay attention to this, as it''s a shot across their bows - wake up or ship out seems to be the message to me.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]The one thing that I see as a negative is why we can''t source some of them from our own academy. GR is obviously keen on bringing on young players (as his time at Newcastle showed).[/quote]

If academy graduates had shown the same ability / drive / commitment as the player we''ve brought in, then GR would not have had to go and find players who have it.  I hope that our boys pay attention to this, as it''s a shot across their bows - wake up or ship out seems to be the message to me.

[/quote]

Spot on.

I agree 100% too. I think the seeds for this were sown not too long after Roeder''s arrival when a sports columnist observed Roeder at a training session  ( shortly after a game where effort was non-existent ) watching a group of younger players standing together laughing. Roeder''s reaction was to stand and cast a long icy glare before turning his back and walking away. 

Can''t disagree with the sentiments of the OP. As to our own academy, let''s get to grips with the first-team situation as first priority and sort out our relegation battle before we put the spotlight on nuturing the future. In any case, it should act as a great motivator to our current acadamy kids to see 18/19 year olds coming into the first  team. And if it doesn''t motivate them, ship them out.