Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

A new direction for our club? Let's debate.

Two or three times in recent years I have published posts on this forum suggesting an alternative way forward for our club -  that is, as a club with a member-share based ownership structure along the lines of certain prominent and successful Spanish and German clubs. Other posters too have broached the subject from time to time. Barcelona is perhaps the most widely known example of this approach.

Let''s debate!

And for starters we could look at the BBC Sports website article on an initiative apparently gathering pace at Liverpool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7217238.stm

An arithmetical starting point might be as follows:

25,000 fans (worldwide) subscibing 5,000 pound each would yield 125,000,000 pounds. Enough to buy out the current owners (12m pounds est.) and buy the debt (20m pounds est.). Allowing for costs of (say) 3m pounds, this would leave a balance of 90 million pounds to fund team building (and all that incompleted off-field investment!!)

Now the big question. Are there 2/3 fans out there with the vision and drive to conceptualise and enable such a transformation?

OTBC

Ha! So this is the new thread you were working on whilst dodging the point on other threads?Just how many fans can afford to stump up 5k? And just how many of those would be prepared to? Especially bearing in mind you and your mates on here would criticise their every decision?You are in dreamland if you think those sort of figures are going to fly.

Bly, there is no kind way to say this.....but you are such a twerp. I''m surprised with that kind of thinking and, given your obvious distatste for George W. Bush, that you limited your thinking to Norwich City instead of coming up with a similar plan to buy the United States.

all my savings combined dont come to 5 grand! i earn more than that in a year but bills etc mean that i save money in the bank etc... if u have 5000 in savings then good for u! lend me a tenner!

jas :)

I wonder how all those Spanish and German clubs worked it out. Ever thought of that?

Nooooooooooo........, of course not!! Instead we get mostly knee jerk reactions along the lines of - City fans are too poor and Bly is deluded.

But then, them Spaniards and Germans they''re cleverer than the likes of us int they? Smart b*ggers they be alright.

C''mon. Let''s debate it.

OTBC

We''re not too poor (or stupid, tho that one is open to debate I suppose[:D]) but who the hell would want to put up five grand when EVERY SINGLE decision made would be twisted into a reason for vitriolic attacks on the way the club was being run as it is now. The lack of unity between City fans at the moment would make this plan a disturbingly chaotic disaster.     

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I wonder how all those Spanish and German clubs worked it out. Ever thought of that?

Nooooooooooo........, of course not!! Instead we get mostly knee jerk reactions along the lines of - City fans are too poor and Bly is deluded.

But then, them Spaniards and Germans they''re cleverer than the likes of us int they? Smart b*ggers they be alright.

OTBC

[/quote]Season tickets are cheaper practically everywhere than in England.  And the cost of membership to Barcelona costs about as much as a season ticket does for them I think.  Barcelona have 134,000 members - but they have a global reach as they are in the champions league.Your numbers were way off, but the theory has been tested - Ebbsfleet got 750,000 from myfootballclub.co.uk - people paid 35 quid each to join that.  The problem is that most people already commit what they can afford.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Bly, there is no kind way to say this.....but you are such a twerp. I''m surprised with that kind of thinking and, given your obvious distatste for George W. Bush, that you limited your thinking to Norwich City instead of coming up with a similar plan to buy the United States.[/quote]

I told you before Yankee that that old man you have pointing at us in your avatar is frightening our dog.

Barack Obama! Barack Obama! Barack for Presy. Yeahhhhh! Miss Hilary would be fine too.

How long are you going to carry your petty peeve because your thread on American football was correctly removed by the mods to a more appropriate forum?

Sad that you can''t contribute to an eminently debatable topic instead of reverting to characteristic American (US type) bullyism when you can''t have your own way.

OTBC

macd.

If the truth be told we''re no different in the characteristics you raise to any other football club or forum in the land. And certainly a pale imitation of the fan base of Spanish clubs in these regards.

So I don''t really think your points nullify the potential viability of the concept at all.

OTBC

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Bly, there is no kind way to say this.....but you are such a twerp.[/quote]

No offence to Bly, but Yankee, the subtle approach made me chuckle!

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Bly - If this were to go ahead would you put 5k in?[/quote]

I would be very inclined to Trent, yes. Of course it would depend upon the specific arrangements, but yes most likely I would if it made sense. 

And I am very  interested in hearing the further and better particulars of the Liverpool initiative promised for later today.

Would you? If it were 6k, 4k, 3k would you? Entitled you to discounted season tickets..........priority for guest tickets...........Sporting club privileges..........and.................would you?

OTBC

[quote user="Alex"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Bly, there is no kind way to say this.....but you are such a twerp.[/quote]

No offence to Bly, but Yankee, the subtle approach made me chuckle!

[/quote]

I presume that you must be being ironic since your post elicited such wry amusement in my office.

A subtle American (US type)?- that must be an oxymoron if ever there was one.

OTBC

Come on Bly, be a big man and learn to recognise how to to take advantage of any situation created, as in this case where, when you initiate a thread that makes people laugh, enjoy the humour you have created.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Bly - If this were to go ahead would you put 5k in?[/quote]

I would be very inclined to Trent, yes. Of course it would depend upon the specific arrangements, but yes most likely I would if it made sense. 

And I am very  interested in hearing the further and better particulars of the Liverpool initiative promised for later today.

Would you? If it were 6k, 4k, 3k would you? Entitled you to discounted season tickets..........priority for guest tickets...........Sporting club privileges..........and.................would you?

OTBC

[/quote]

No, simply because im a student and had to give up the season ticket as a whole because I couldnt afford the transport, tickets etc.

In several years time, possibly. But then I cant see this sort of thing ever working, even at a club like Liverpool who seem to have fans everywhere.

5k is too much of an initial investment. Maybe if you asked for 500 quid each over a 5 year period to raise money that might work. But I cant see it working in terms of the sheer numbers required.

But as you say, Im watching liverpool with interest.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Come on Bly, be a big man and learn to recognise how to to take advantage of any situation created, as in this case where, when you initiate a thread that makes people laugh, enjoy the humour you have created.

[/quote]

Who''s laughing?

I see that you and your American (US type) compatriot are snickering, but snickering doesn''t count over here.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Who''s laughing?

I see that you and your American (US type) compatriot are snickering, but snickering doesn''t count over here.

OTBC

[/quote]

Tsk, tsk, tsk.......one love.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Season tickets are cheaper practically everywhere than in England.  And the cost of membership to Barcelona costs about as much as a season ticket does for them I think.  Barcelona have 134,000 members - but they have a global reach as they are in the champions league.

Your numbers were way off, but the theory has been tested - Ebbsfleet got 750,000 from myfootballclub.co.uk - people paid 35 quid each to join that.  The problem is that most people already commit what they can afford.
[/quote]

agreed! its £12 to watch ajax in the dutch premiership.. and £18 to get into an Inter Milan game.. contrast that to prices over here.... 442 ran an article about it....

jas :)

The Liverpool initiative is being watched by the Financial Times and Government Ministers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7415dcb0-d067-11dc-9309-0000779fd2ac.html

A summary to date: fom the BBC website

Share Liverpool FC

Initial expressions of interest asked for via website

Investment limited to £5,000 per applicant

Investors can be individuals, or families or other groupings clubbing together

Aim is to sell 100.000 investment blocks

Any interest earned used for internet and legal costs

Detailed constitution to be drawn up

No money will be asked for until constitution written

Two bishops of Liverpool to verify accounts

At the moment the website launched at 5pm yesterday has crashed due to the overwhelming interest in the initiative.

OTBC

The Liverpool initiative is being watched by the Financial Times and Government Ministers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7415dcb0-d067-11dc-9309-0000779fd2ac.html

A summary to date: fom the BBC website

Share Liverpool FC

Initial expressions of interest asked for via website

Investment limited to £5,000 per applicant

Investors can be individuals, or families or other groupings clubbing together

Aim is to sell 100.000 investment blocks

Any interest earned used for internet and legal costs

Detailed constitution to be drawn up

No money will be asked for until constitution written

Two bishops of Liverpool to verify accounts

At the moment the website launched at 5pm yesterday has crashed due to the overwhelming interest in the initiative.

OTBC

[/quote]

Thats Liverpool, we are Norwich, It ain''t going to happen.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Who''s laughing?

OTBC

[/quote]

I''m laughing BlyBly. If I didn''t you would make me cry.

[:''(][:D][:''(][:D][:''(][:D]

Out of curiosity how did the Barcelona etc method of ownership come about for those clubs? Was it a fund raising mission such as this? And how much did they buy it for? Id assume buying a club would have been far cheaper before the champions league, premier league etc?

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Out of curiosity how did the Barcelona etc method of ownership come about for those clubs? Was it a fund raising mission such as this? And how much did they buy it for? Id assume buying a club would have been far cheaper before the champions league, premier league etc?[/quote]I believe that Barcelona and other european clubs started this way at their formation - most clubs are based upon sporting clubs, where the club competes in many different sports.