Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Favourite footballer names

[quote user="NorfolknChance"]Are we signing Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink from Celtic?[/quote]

One of the joys of Saturday afternoons when Norwich are away & I''m climbing trees to forage bananas is to watch Gilette Soccer Saturday and see some of the great names of footballers rolling in.  Who are your favourites?

Vennegoor is a good one, but I think you''d have to go a long way to beat Junior Agogo.  What a name that is.

I like Lomana LuaLua. Although his name kind of annoyed me too because my father-in-law (who I watch a lot of football with) loved his name a little too much.

So, if we were ever watching a Pompy game on TV, and whenever he go near the ball, he''d always shout "ohh...watch out for LuaLua!" or something similar. I think it was purely because he liked the sound of his own voice saying LuaLua.

Other than that, I was watching Soccer Saturday a few weeks back, and there was a player who scored for some non-league team, and the name that came up on the screen was A Striker. I know nothing more about what his first name is, and I which I could remember the club so I could Google it. Jeff Stirling quipped something about them being too lazy to write in the names of who are scoring. Made me laugh. (Maybe you had to be there.....)

there is a player in one of the scotish leagues with the surname of  GOODWILLY !

1 Stefan Kuntz
The former German international was a key figure at Euro 96 for both his team and the British tabloids.

2 Milan Fukal
The Czech defender was once on trial with Leeds and linked with a move to Manchester City but has since gone on to do Fukal. He now plays for hometown club FK 97.

3 Quim
The Portuguese keeper is actually called Joaquim Manuel Sampaio da Silva, but uses his nickname blissfully unaware at the delight he provides for English-speaking fans.

4 Ars Bandeet
This one could be an urban legend, but apparently this was the name of an Algerian international in the 1970s.

5 Johan de Kock

From a possible cock and bull story to a plain old Kock story. The former Dutch international is another Euro 96 veteran. He won the Uefa Cup with Schalke in 1997

6 Danny Shi ttu
The Nigerian international was recently relegated from the Premier League with Watford. The 6ft 3in is used to entertaining Football League stadium announces from his time with QPR.

7 Chiqui Arce
Another example of a Latin footballer exacerbating an already humorous name. Paraguay international Francisco Arce at one point had his name as Chiqui Arce on the back of his shirt.

8 David Goodwillie
Goodwillie became the youngest scorer in the SPL when he scored for Dundee United against Hibs in March. Now aged 18, Goodwillie will be entertaining fans for many years to come.

9 Rafael Scheidt

He''s Scheidt and he knows he is. Rafael was signed for Celtic by the equally Scheidt management duo of Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes for £5 million. He started just one game and was shipped out by Martin O''Neill.

10 Segar Bas tard
Bastard played for Upton Park and England in the late 19th century. He went on to become a referee and was therefore quite literally the Bastard in the black.

Special mention in all sports goes to W.P.U.J.C Vaas (Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas) the sri lankan cricketer for having more first initials than letters in his surname.As to just footballers, with the exception of Jan V.o.H., I am partial to seeing Scotland on the score sheet.Also Harry Daft and Segar B.. (product of an unconsecrated union) both have england caps.

[quote user="James Maloney"]Kevin Webster.  "Ooh, Sally will be pleased."

One team had a player called (I think) Danny Invincible?  That''s a Roy of the Rovers name.
[/quote]

Also my favourite. He plays for Kilmarnock.

Jamie Victory is another roy of the rovers special.  Good idea for a new thread I think, Roy of the rovers 11 with current player names.

My favourite football name is Carlos Valderrama, absolutely synonymous with THAT hair.  Silliest is Tajinida Babangida....

Back in the day Championship Manager 2 used to respawn players under a different name when they retired. The practically had the same stats as the original player but just with a new name and 19 years old. If you put a 37 year old Eric Cantona on your shortlist and he retired at the end of the season at the start of the next season you would have a 19 year player who was Cantona but with a different name, who you could sign for peanuts.

A friend of mine got seriously down the road with one game - so when asked what his team was in Yr11 Science classes he would say ''Cafu the 4th at right back, Maldini the 3rd Centre half etc etc. Our favourite player by a country mile however was Jurgen Klinnsman the 4th, who respawned as Helmut Jancker.

LMAO!!I have food coming out of my nose now!!

[quote user="buddhaboy"]southampton were after helmut koch once and the headline was "southampton after big german koch"funny shite..[/quote]

There is a Cambridge City striker called Gash led to the amazing headline ''Manager Pleased by Top Gash Showing.''

Funniest was the commentary last night with German player Fritz; ''Fritz is in there'', ''Fritz is all over the park'' - [:D] - proper fifties ''Boy''s Own'' comic stuff, had me in stitches.  

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

[quote user="James Maloney"]Kevin Webster.  "Ooh, Sally will be pleased."

One team had a player called (I think) Danny Invincible?  That''s a Roy of the Rovers name.
[/quote]

Also my favourite. He plays for Kilmarnock.

[/quote]

The commentators up here amusingly pronounce his name, "Inveensibeelay"! [:D]