Sign in to follow this  
NottsCanary

UEFA's latest experiment

Has anyone else read in the news today about UEFA''s plan to put 2 more officials in both penalty boxes to oversee decisions in these areas, i.e. penalties and goal line decisions.

I for one think it is ridiculous to put 2 more officials on the pitch and will only result in more confusion!! Let Hawk-Eye get on with his job and introduce that before this stupid decision gets accepted!!

With all the officials wired up to earpieces it will be like listening to Five Live going through the Fens with about 6 stations at once!!! Can''t be good!?

Any Views?

Not seen that anywhere, son, so I hope it''s just some wild rumour, as it would be ridiculous.  All you need is one highly trained, impartial referees in the middle making crucial decisions without hesitation - and therein lies the problem in this country.  Our top-fligh referees seem to be error-prone, and there is little in the way of punishment, aside from sticking them down to the Championship for a week, which just makes our games worse! UEFA should be looking at improving the refereeing school, if they exist (I''ll admit I know little about the training process, do they train at certain clubs and ref practice matches or what??).  Add goal-line technology to that and refereeing in this country might start to make sense again..... Two more ref''s will only confuse matters...

I agree that more officials is a bad idea. Last thing we need are more officials ballsing things up.

Having said that, I don''t know if Hawkeye is the way forward either. Although it works well in Cricket, it hasn''t worked very well in Tennis and think it would create more arguments than it would solve in football.

There is plenty of other technology that could be used though. My solution would be simply a few small pen cameras on the line of the goal (4, one for each camera) and if we get a close call, take a quick look at it on a replay. Would only take about 30 seconds.

Another idea would be some kind of sensors like those used in Ice Hockey, although I don’t know too much about that technology so I can’t comment too much on this.

Either way, there has to be a solution to the way its done at the moment, i.e. a guess from the lino.