Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Leicester Match and Our Bench

First of all, I thought we were excellent yesterday and Croft was the most productive I have seen him since the first few games he played when he arrived.  We ran the game pretty much for the whole 90 minutes and should have got all 3 points.  There were many positives to take from the game but no doubt the players will be left feeling dissapointed at not winning.  The defence looked fairly solid and this is in no small part to the vastly improved ball retention and attacking threat now coming from midfield.  For a long time I felt our defence could improve with a better midfield unit in front of it and Roeder has quickly looked to remedy the problem here.  In all though I can''t can''t remember the last time I saw City dominate a game like we did yesterday.

The only major sticking point was the abilty to score the goal needed when we on top for so long and this highlighted a concern I had when looking at our bench before kick off yesterday.  There was nobody on the bench that in my opinion could have came on and changed the game.  Pretty much every player on the bench would have been a like for like replacement for someone in the first 11 and would have added nothing different.  Cureton for Evans did not pose any threat that Evans had not posed, had Patison been introduced he would have added no more guile to the midfield than Fozzy or Russell had.  It''s clear to me that mostly our first choice 11 should keep us from getting relegated but Roeder now needs to get on his bike in the next 9 days before the next game and try and bring in 2 or 3 players that offer something different.  I''m sure he knows this and lets just hope he can bring some variety in, not just like for like.

I don''t think anyone could disagree with that. I thought yesterday''s performance proved that there''s no way we''ll get relegated, but that equally those who have been talking of the play-offs are seriously deluded. We have no real cutting edge, and we''re going to draw too many games because of that.

I think you are spot on there, we did have a lot of bad luck yesterday but we were also guilty of some very bad finishing, Croft was our best player but was also guilty of missing 2 decent chances, in the first half he hit his shot straight at the keeper when through on goal when he just needed to lift it over the keeper and shot over the bar in the last couple of minutes when he should have at least hit the target, Cureton also should have done much better than shooting over the bar when through in the last few minutes. Our defence was good yesterday but we all know that our central defenders are incapable of playing like that every week. We need to sign 1 or even 2 strikers along with a midfielder who is capable of scoring and a defender, if we can do that we have a team more than capable of challenging in this league, let''s hope Roeder can use his contacts to get the right players.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I don''t think anyone could disagree with that. I thought yesterday''s performance proved that there''s no way we''ll get relegated, but that equally those who have been talking of the play-offs are seriously deluded. We have no real cutting edge, and we''re going to draw too many games because of that.[/quote]

Listening to the game on the very poor BBC Radio Leicester you sounded absolutely outstanding and we sounded very poor. Taking nothing away from your performance because you could and should of won this about 5-0 atleast in the first half but you need a striker to put away some of your chances because you put 37 crosses into the box without scoring. However, we were very lucky Alnwick didnt get sent off during the game and you had a clear goal disallowed but this does happen in football. We havent had any luck this season tbh and it makes a change for us to get some but i know a Norwich fan and he says you also have bad luck with refs. Why do refs hate us?

Several of your players sounded outstanding, mainly Croft. I dont understand why you are where you are, possibly because of your poor strikers? I''m sure if you get in a striker to go with Ched then you could push up the league and possibly grab a play off spot but definately a very respectable position in the top half of the league.

Dion also sounded very good today as well, probably because of playing his home-town and former club? Or does he always play this well?

Finally, several Leicester fans seem to think we were worthy of a point or more today but i just can''t see how because you were the best team i''ve heard on the radio so far this season and if you play like this in the return fixture, which i will be at like all home games, then im sure im not going to enjoy the game at all. However, I am hoping this will shake us up and with the return of 3 influential players and possibly 2-3 more signings i think the game will be much more enjoyable than the game at Carrow rd.

We''re 5 masseeeve points away from ''relocation'' to the bottom 3.......We''re far too good to go down!

Don''t strengthen the squad because we don''t need to, we''re grinding out draws and the occasional win - which means we can limp through the remainder of the season with what we''ve got.......and survive.

Make the sparse limited squad work for their wages and let the physio prove his worth.

This club is correct in adopting the ''Can-Do'' attitude, and should be applauded for not wasting limited finance on extra wages for more poncy egotistical lightweight football players.

Finally, several Leicester fans seem to think we were worthy of a point or more today but i just can''t see how because you were the best team i''ve heard on the radio so far this season.

Sounds as though we''re not the only club who''s fans can get seriously deluded at times. Can''t see how even the most biased Leicester fan could say they actually deserved anything from the game. If it was a boxing match it would have been stopped before half time, the only time that Leicester even reached equality in the match was the first 20 minutes of the second half and at no time were they the better team, although after Hayles came on they did carry more of a threat. To be fair Leicester did defend well but 5-0 wouldn''t have flattered us we were that much on top.

Agree weith the post completely.I doubt whether GR will be able to bring in on loan a proven goalscorer - that will come in the summer. This is surely the area where we need to improve qaulity if we are to make any real headway. Cureton, Dion, Croft, Ched, Jarvis, Martin and Hux have missed so many good opportunities. Ched is off in the summer, at the latest, so unless the others can find an accuracy which regularly deserts them we are in a grind ''em out period for the rest of the season, and with a relatuively poor goal difference to carry.As I have posted elsewhere, I do not think that we can expect many permenant signings, if any, before January 31st, as it will  mean paying through the nose. ("Overheated market"). The question is how many good strikers are there available on loan?

the team yesterday might be good enough to survive relegation but to take us on we need alot more class all round the team, the board need to get their finger out, this run is taking the pressure off them but study it closely we still need more, two many draws for my liking and i shall not be going overboard at the end of the day we dropped points to a team below us, performance good, result iffy, imo.

Dion nearly always plays well.The man is a rock in defence, and a constant towering threat up-front.I hope we keep him on as a coach.

Dion still lives in the West Mids not a million miles from Cheltenham. I don''t think he will stay on as coach with us as his family won''t move, but i would love to see him take a post at Cheltenham town or someone like that and really succeed. Fantastic player, great bloke and on eof the few true gents left in the game. He deserves a massive amount of success should he take up the coaching path. If i was a league team in the area he lives in, i would be on the phone to him now sounding him out about a coaching job.Good luck to him in whatever he does after he leaves us and a massive thanks for his service, he has been excellent for us.

Good post Robert, we may have been unlucky yesterday but for the first 3 months of the season we were dire so we are just playing catch up. They say things even up over a season well a couple of years ago we beat you 1 0 on New Years Eve in a poor game we didn''t deservce to win so let''s hope we win at your plave next month.

See you there.