Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Glen's Master plan?

Is Glen thinking ahead to the summer? After all,

all these loan signings aren''t forming a permanent team for next season. Then

it got me thinking. Why do we need to sign a ton of players now? Yes, I admit

we do need a striker and possibly some strengthening elsewhere in the team but

surely Glen must see us as being good enough to stay up, I do anyway.

Maybe Glen is waiting till the summer when he will be able to build his own

team and get us playing the football he wants us to play. It makes sense with

all the loanees till the end of the season and Glen to start build a style of

football. I agree with Glen if this is the case. Prices tend to be inflated in

the January transfer window and we can''t really get anywhere near the play-offs

this season. Surely by culling all the "dead-wood" at the club he''s

getting ready for the summer months and push for greater things next season.

wow someone talking sense and thinking gettin fed up of the main board with people whinging forget this season we just have to survive keep the money for next season

Isn''t it slightly dangerous, though, to just assume we''ll be okay this season and just save the cash (if there is any) for next year? It''s not as if we''re safe or anything.

True, but i think roeder has A LOT of sorting out to do with I assume not a great deal of money. January isn''t the time rebuilding, it''s the time for strengthening and loanees should do the job.Next season is Glenns season.

[quote user="Fellas"]Is Glen thinking ahead to the summer? After all,

all these loan signings aren''t forming a permanent team for next season. Then

it got me thinking. Why do we need to sign a ton of players now? Yes, I admit

we do need a striker and possibly some strengthening elsewhere in the team but

surely Glen must see us as being good enough to stay up, I do anyway.

Maybe Glen is waiting till the summer when he will be able to build his own

team and get us playing the football he wants us to play. It makes sense with

all the loanees till the end of the season and Glen to start build a style of

football. I agree with Glen if this is the case. Prices tend to be inflated in

the January transfer window and we can''t really get anywhere near the play-offs

this season. Surely by culling all the "dead-wood" at the club he''s

getting ready for the summer months and push for greater things next season.
[/quote]We need to sign a ton of players now, or rather a centre back and a striker because the playoffs are still reachable. Anyone at the game yesterday can see if we get in the playoffs we can beat any team in the league. With a top striker we''d have won yesterday. Altho it was one of those games, we''ll play much much worse and win 3-0, thats football sometimes. You couldnt fault one player yesterday, except maybe Cureton for blazing over the bar in the last minute!Point is were still only 12 points off the playoffs, and recent form has us in the top 6 or something. If we continue the way were going we''ll finish around 9th or 10th i think, if we get Martin Taylor and a top striker we''ll make the playoffs for sure.The board dont see it that way tho, the seasons budget was spent in the summer, we can afford Martin Taylor and thats about it i reckon. Speakin of which someone near me on Saturday said weve got him for £400,000.

Your right fellas.

Yes, we need to be cautious and not get above our station but at the same time theres no need to panic buy now. The current team is strong enough to stay up with enough, but no mastter who we sign promotion this season isnt likely to put it  mildly. So, why the need to sign 6 players permanently now, just for the sake of it when a) they are overpriced in january and b) thequality might not be there. As long as we have enough to get a comfortable finish this would make sense. Then have a bigger summer war chest, sign players cheaper, and make longer term assesments as to whether these players are good enough.

Yes, by all means sign Taylor if we can, sign a top striker if he''s available but there is no need to panic buy!

Loans are helpful in this situation, they add depth to the squad, and if they are out of favour you get a look at them before buying permanently, like in the case of Pattison.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Isn''t it slightly dangerous, though, to just assume we''ll be okay this season and just save the cash (if there is any) for next year? It''s not as if we''re safe or anything.[/quote]Especially since Ched Evans'' loan at the moment is only for a month, and with Dublin/Cureton/Evans up front we couldn''t score against Leicester. If you''re going to remove Brown and Strihavka, then you''ve got to bring another striker in.

[quote user="Fellas"]Is Glen thinking ahead to the summer? After all, all these loan signings aren''t forming a permanent team for next season. Then it got me thinking. Why do we need to sign a ton of players now? Yes, I admit we do need a striker and possibly some strengthening elsewhere in the team but surely Glen must see us as being good enough to stay up, I do anyway.

Maybe Glen is waiting till the summer when he will be able to build his own team and get us playing the football he wants us to play. It makes sense with all the loanees till the end of the season and Glen to start build a style of football. I agree with Glen if this is the case. Prices tend to be inflated in the January transfer window and we can''t really get anywhere near the play-offs this season. Surely by culling all the "dead-wood" at the club he''s getting ready for the summer months and push for greater things next season.
[/quote]

I was about to post pretty much the same thing, good job I checked. I think that he will buy enough just enough to survive this season, he will get a new striker and a new defender. Other than them, that will be all in my mind. Thats not because of the board being stubborn etc, I feel that GR knows the January sales are inflated twofold. Yes, playoffs are still there to be taken, but realisticaly, we don''t have a chance as much as I would love it.

GR will rebuild alot in the summer I feel, this season there will be just enough signings to survive.

[quote user="James Maloney"]As long as the long-term plan involves the centre backs NOT hoofing it up to a target man any chance they get, I''ll be happy with that.[/quote]they don''t they hoof it to cureton