Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

Birmingham struggling to sell tickets for today's Chelsea match?

I had to smile when I saw a large advert in yesterday''s Mirror, beseeching fans to buy tickets for Brum''s game against the mighty Chelsea today. Ok, they have about 4,000 more seats to fill than us, but I really cannot imagine there would be a solitary ticket left if we were playing Chelsea today - even if we had a 30,000 seater stadium. It makes me wonder which group of fans deserves to be in the Premiership more. It sure as heck aint Birmingham!

This says everything about the Premier League which is set up for a worldwide TV audience and four Clubs.

Did anyone else see the BBC 10 o''clock News last night? 10 times as many people in China watch this league as watch in the UK.

The Premier League must be broken up for the sake of  English football and the fans.

And China is still considered a market with huge growth potential, the main reason Brum were so interested in the (now aborted) Carsten Yeung investment.Rudolph, our club has demonstrated its commitment to the fans by increasing season tickets at below interest rate growth, in a way most other clubs wouldn''t contemplate. They are trying to look after the traditional supporter, and ensure there is a next generation of fans with cheap deals for kids. If you feel the way you seem to about the state of the game in this thread, that Premiership football is more about the Asian TV market than English fans, why do you criticise the season ticket prices? Not having a go, just curious.

Big gaps evident at St.Andrews on MOTD last night and even at a 20,000 capacity Fratton Park. Sort of puts our crowds into context doesn`t it? Small club? Absolute b****cks!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Big gaps evident at St.Andrews on MOTD last night and even at a 20,000 capacity Fratton Park. Sort of puts our crowds into context doesn`t it? Small club? Absolute b****cks![/quote]Also highlights the impact of the TV money, Portsmouth have Sol Campbell on a reported £100,000 a week and Diarra on £50,000. Creates an unlevel playing field.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

This says everything about the Premier League which is set up for a worldwide TV audience and four Clubs.

Did anyone else see the BBC 10 o''clock News last night? 10 times as many people in China watch this league as watch in the UK.

The Premier League must be broken up for the sake of  English football and the fans.

[/quote]

Agree with you on that one. The Premier* is destroying football. Or more to  the point the big three are killing football  in conjunction with Sky TV.

Not sure how you could break up the premiership as the football league has no authority over the premier league, or the monies it derives from tv or licencing.

The only sanction the football league which oversees the championship and first and second division clubs,would be to refuse to readmit relegated premier league clubs back into the football league fold.

I would guess that if that was the case then the championship would follow the lead of the premiership''s founding clubs and break away en mass to form a premier B league.

you could also raise point if going on this basis

leeds deserve to be in premier over every champ side having 31k, just because they fill seats doesnt mean they big team

birmingham were probably selling their tickets at top dollar

birmingham arent big side but have far far more potential then norwich unfortently. being the 2nd largest city in england and central to everything is very attractive. if they go the right way they will be as big as villa and could easily become top 6-8 prem side. also helps if they get there new stadiun as proposed

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

over 1 billion people live in china!

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]I had to smile when I saw a large advert in yesterday''s Mirror, beseeching fans to buy tickets for Brum''s game against the mighty Chelsea today. Ok, they have about 4,000 more seats to fill than us, but I really cannot imagine there would be a solitary ticket left if we were playing Chelsea today - even if we had a 30,000 seater stadium. It makes me wonder which group of fans deserves to be in the Premiership more. It sure as heck aint Birmingham![/quote]

Completely agree! Add to the list, Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough - all teams who regularly play in stadiums that are rarely anywhere near full, and add nothing to the Premier League whatsoever.

I can never understand it when the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and Middlesbrough spend an enitire season attempting to win a place in the Uefa cup, and then when they qualify the home games are played in front of only a handful of fans who bother to turn up!

[quote user="Stone"]

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]I had to smile when I saw a large advert in yesterday''s Mirror, beseeching fans to buy tickets for Brum''s game against the mighty Chelsea today. Ok, they have about 4,000 more seats to fill than us, but I really cannot imagine there would be a solitary ticket left if we were playing Chelsea today - even if we had a 30,000 seater stadium. It makes me wonder which group of fans deserves to be in the Premiership more. It sure as heck aint Birmingham![/quote]

Completely agree! Add to the list, Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough - all teams who regularly play in stadiums that are rarely anywhere near full, and add nothing to the Premier League whatsoever.

I can never understand it when the likes of Bolton, Blackburn and Middlesbrough spend an enitire season attempting to win a place in the Uefa cup, and then when they qualify the home games are played in front of only a handful of fans who bother to turn up!

[/quote]

agree with you, they have half empty stadiums even if they have big side. remember boro had half empty stadium in 1/4s the other year, i know they wernt angaist a luxury side to see but hell its a 1/4 final i wouldnt care if we got gretna or bayern munich i would be there.

but suppose down to money most teams, as soon as  the novelty has worn off for supporters likes of fulham, bolton of playing manutd few times they will stop going.

[quote user="we8wba"]

leeds deserve to be in premier over every champ side having 31k, just because they fill seats doesnt mean they big team

birmingham arent big side but have far far more potential then norwich unfortently. being the 2nd largest city in england and central to everything is very attractive. if they go the right way they will be as big as villa and could easily become top 6-8 prem side. also helps if they get there new stadiun as proposed

[/quote]

I totally disagree with you on your point about Brum having far more potential than Norwich, we8wba. I know that Birmingham is England''s second city, but that doesn''t automatically make Birmingham City FC bigger than Norwich City. No, there is a far greater choice of  football clubs to support in the Midlands than there is here in Norfolk. We sell 25,500 (a sell out) tickets for bloody Leicester in the Championship - they struggle to sell 26,000 tickets for one of the most appealing fixtures in their season. I guarantee you, we could easily sell 30,000 plus tickets to watch the likes of Chelsea. I''d love to see what would happen if our board was to swap places with theirs - then we would see which club has the real potential.

[quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

Absolute rubbish. Greater Birmingham has a population of three million which supports FOUR biggish clubs and one smaller one. Norfolk and north Suffolk has a population of over one million with only ONE club. NCFC have far more potential than BCFC.

simple ways to make the premiership more competitive.

1. "shared revenue" like they do in the NFL.. purely, this is the team who finished bottom gets MORE money then the team who finished top... squif logic? not so... the team who finishes top is the best team, they have the best players, they have the sponsorship, TV, Merchandise, Revenue, Ticket Sales, Champions league revenue.... they do not need the prize money as they are made for a few seasons..,. the team who finises bottom  faces struggle, losing players, reduced gates, Loss of TV income etc... this can hit some teams hard...

do away with the parachute payments and structure the finances like this across all 4 divisions.

2. A properly enforced salary Cap.. not that crap one they have in rugby League... again based on the one seen in some American sports. it works like this... Take a Premiership team (we will use Spurs in this Example) the League announces that the salary cap for this season will be 20 million pounds for each club.... Supposing Spurs Salary cap is currently at 19,999,999 they are virtually on the cap limit... if they wanted to sign another player then they have to either release one or sell one to free up the wage room... going over the cap means they are penalised with a smaller cap than every other team next season and could face a transfer embargo with regards brining players in...

this would ultimately force Mercenaries out of the game.... now, taking spurs again.. Supposing Ledley King wanted 50,000k a week he is perfectly entitled to it as long as it doesnt take teams above the salary cap.. players can still take in the obscene amount of wages they want but clubs need to budget better... any player who the club cant afford to pay is moved on... in the NFL this guarentees that ALL teams have at least 1 star player... Tevez in a reading shirt just because their cap allows them to pay what Manchester utd cant could be a realistic possibility..

this would again tighten up the Premiership as every team could have 2 or 3 big names lining up every week.. Also with the limits on wages implied (and no.. it isnt illegle) it means that youth might be pushed to the front more as cheaper options.

Also, the Cap level will go up or down depending on english Clubs progressing in Europe and englands performance internationally. it will be set accross all 4 divisions and be structured accordingly.

and finally

3. the champions League is a joke! a team who finishes 4th can enter( and win) a competition meant for champions.. last time i checked a champion was someone who had won something.. not someone who had come 2nd. 3rd. or 4th...  I would make qualification 3 teams only, FA cup winners, Premiership winners, and Leage cup winners.. they have won something ergo they are Champions... Should a team do the double (or treble) then the runners up in those cup competitions will enter the champions league as the places need to be filled.

this makes for a more exciting cup season. the teams who finish 2-6th in the premiership will enter the UEFA cup.

I would also hope UEFA changed the "chumpions" league to a 8, 1 round knockout games...  too many teams get another bite of the cherry and their are no shocks froma  competition that has seen Sampdoria, Steua Bucherest and Marseille win it in the past... a knock out format would mean that 1 mistake by John Terry and Chelsea lose to SK Brann Bergen with no 2nd leg or no other group games to rescue themselves.. this imo would make the champions league the best competition in the world.. similar to the FA Cup on the right day the little team could have their moment...

oh to put me in charge of the FA!

jas :)

you both make good points, which i take into considerations, obviosuly you''ll think norwich, obviosuly i will think birmingham as local to me. theres not really a right or wrong, look at wigan for example

but on number

theres plenty liverpool and manchester utd fans, which are in smaller cities than birmingham and have another team in the city - so that sort of a return to your post

as to 5teams in birmingham i would like to know them. theres two which i know of in villa and birmingham and wba at a push! im guessing the other two your reffering to is walsall and wolves?

if in answer norwich have been the bigger club i would say easily, but i think with current trends birmingham would have to be classed as more potential having

plans for new national used stadium (for least fa cup semis and the odd england game)

more central - dont care what you say you ask fillipo from italy (made up name) where he prefer to live i would say he prob choose birmingham, its not your fault nor boards or nothing. its just unfortunate in where your located.

i would like to hear your guys views on what said, may sound utter cack, if so dont just say that, explain to me your side.

[quote user="we8wba"]

you both make good points, which i take into considerations, obviosuly you''ll think norwich, obviosuly i will think birmingham as local to me. theres not really a right or wrong, look at wigan for example

but on number

theres plenty liverpool and manchester utd fans, which are in smaller cities than birmingham and have another team in the city - so that sort of a return to your post

as to 5teams in birmingham i would like to know them. theres two which i know of in villa and birmingham and wba at a push! im guessing the other two your reffering to is walsall and wolves?

if in answer norwich have been the bigger club i would say easily, but i think with current trends birmingham would have to be classed as more potential having

plans for new national used stadium (for least fa cup semis and the odd england game)

I said GREATER Birmingham which is the whole Birmingham area conurbation including Wolverhampton, West Bromwich, Walsall etc. All densely populated areas have a greater concentration of clubs competing for support whereas we have a large captive market- we don`t even have top level rugby/cricket/ice hockey clubs to compete with.

To me a "big club" is all about support base and potential. Newcastle and Sunderland have won nothing for decades yet are both massive clubs. Why? Fanbase. If Wigan or Fulham got in the Champions league they wouldn`t be big clubs, they would be over-achieving small clubs.

We do have problems and issues regarding our location but potential support isn`t one of them.

more central - dont care what you say you ask fillipo from italy (made up name) where he prefer to live i would say he prob choose birmingham, its not your fault nor boards or nothing. its just unfortunate in where your located.

i would like to hear your guys views on what said, may sound utter cack, if so dont just say that, explain to me your side.

[/quote]