Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk Boy

Neil Doncaster

To make a change from all the moaning on here I thought I''d say something nice about somebody. We entered the football quiz after the Leicester game on Saturday and Mr Neil Doncaster was the quiz master. I''m fairly sure he didn''t have to do that as part of his contract so fair play to him for putting himself in that position, Also the man is always standing on the corner of the ground at every home game leaving himself open to questions from 25,000 fans who could clearly do a much better job than he does. I''m fairly sure the people who moan about him constantly on here do not have the balls to approach him therefore he is probably quite safe but none the less, some level headed and sensible people must have somne decent questions for him and I bet Peter Ridsdale or many Premier League chairmen don''t put themselves in that postion.

Well said!

I have spoken with Neil Doncaster and Roger Mumby outside the ground on a few occasions and Neil by email. I may not always like the answers to questions raised but that’s life, they do seem to be genuine people and to care as much about our fortunes as we do and for the same reasons.

I have defended the board on a number of occasions and of course been subjected to comment from the usual crowd who accuse anyone who may just seem to SUPPORT the board of wearing rose tinted glasses. I am critical of the board but my criticism is mainly directed at the way the club communicates with the fans. Some of the communication is OK but much of it is also very poor and does not address the supporters concerns, however as much as we would all like to know more the club cannot possibly answer all of the questions that are raised by rumour and speculation. Much of what is posted on this and other sites is deliberately geared to fuel bad feeling towards the club that many state they support, when in fact I would have thought that true supporters are those would much rather enjoy their football in a far less negative atmosphere and an atmosphere when many seem to want to be as negative as they possibly can deriding fellow supporters and a continuous attack on every board member, The Turners for example have been accused of not putting enough money in and yet how can we possibly know what their intentions are and why would money available for transfers for instance be made public knowledge at ours or any other club.

We all want success including the board members I am sure, all of us would probably like to see a number of new players and the sooner the better but what is the point of all the rumour and speculation posted and spread by people much of which causes issues for every person employed by the club directors, staff, management and players. For instance here are some of the rumours that were circulating the upper Barclay on Saturday and yes I do realise that by repeating them here I could be accused of spreading rumours but to make the point I am going to take that chance.

1. Glen Roeder has threatened to resign over the lack of transfer funds.
  2. Roeder will leave by Wednesday if he does not receive the boards backing in the transfer market.
  3. Martin Taylor has signed or is signing.
  4. The board offered to increase the funds for Martin Taylor.
  5. The board refused increased funds for Taylor,
  6. Huckerby had a bust up with Roeder and refused to play.
  7. Huckerby is going to Palace and was seen with a Palace official wearing a Palace jacket,
  8. Roder has been told to sell Marshall as we are in a financial mess which is why he is looking at goalkeepers who would not cost a fee.
  9. Delia refused to sell out to Peter Cullum.
  10. Peter Cullum would not put his money in after realising to depth of the financial issues.

So what of the above have any truth or benefit to the fans or the club for that matter. If you feel that the PR coming from Carrow Road is poor why not write to the club direct. I do agree with some of the posters that the negativity that has existed over the last couple of years is not helped by the quality of communication but I also think that the fan base has fuelled much of this negativity and I cannot see how that helps in fact I believe it stifles the communication.    

[quote user="ridgeman"]If this is the case I feel at £170k + a year he is being paid to much.[/quote]

What is "the case"? I do not understand what point you are trying to make?

And thats based on your assumption that all he is there to do is answer your questions?

How many CEOs of companies actually stand outside their place of work to talk to their customers....answers on a postcard? I would suspect he has a few other responsibilities...

The truth is that Doncaster gets hung because he does put himself out their.  Personally i think the guy has guts for doing this and in the face of totally unsubstantiated, vitriolic and frankly slanderous accusations.

Sure mistakes have been made but these mistakes by and large are magnified disproportionately when the team doesnt perform.

This McDonalds culture that pervades, manifesting in an insatiable need for instant gratification is totally out of control. Why does everything have to be so reactionary so polarised?

It such a shame that this forum is populated by gossip mongers motivated by the politics of the clubs administration.

We are playing well enjoy it, why the constant witch hunt... 

I am hoping we sign players like everyone else but sometimes you just have to accept that every player doesnt want to join us, every player is not worth what their selling club demands and yes we do have a ''limited'' budget whether 5K or 50M its a budget that the management have to work within.

Chill out and stop throwing the toys around and let Glenn get on with the job!

OTBC

[quote user="Norfolk Boy"]

That''s just the sort of stupid half arsed response that I would expect from your average pink un poster.

Nice one.

[/quote]

no problem Neil.. glad u enjoyed playing the role of William G Stewart on saturday too...

Doncaster does put hismelf about, as indeed does chairman Mumbles, which is amicable.. but the truth rather than spin would be nice from time to time.. im sure we can allremember when the board have said things publically only to say completely the opposite 12 months later!

jas :)

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]"Nice" doesn`t always equal "competent"......[:|][/quote]

Instead of one line responses why dont you back up what you say with some facts. To be honest as passionate as football can be and as passionate as supporters can be there is a lot of utter tripe posted non factual and only done to have a go. I believe that our supporters are far more knowledgeable than they come across with some of the complete nonsense that is posted. 

The Great Escape - ever had the balls to go up to him and tell him that?

He ain''t exactly my favourite person neither, but all this personal abuse of him on here (and on other sites) is getting very boring indeed [|-)]

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

The Great Escape - ever had the balls to go up to him and tell him that?

He ain''t exactly my favourite person neither, but all this personal abuse of him on here (and on other sites) is getting very boring indeed [|-)]

[/quote]

Give me the time and date and we can all meet.

Quick - I think we should issue a new line of Donkster dollies for all his new fans... realistic ones with all your favourite Donkster phrases when you pull the string cord including:

"Prudence with ambition."

"How much?"

"Is that the chairman of Accrington Stanley?"

"That sounds great - oh hang on, did you say per week?"

I am not a supporter of this or any other Board, but really refreshing to here these grounded comments about Doncaster, and those who run the Club. I guess it is all about constructive criticism rather than thoughtless prejudice against Delia etc, and the mindless use of words such as ''hound'' her out. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

. im sure we can allremember when the board have said things publically only to say completely the opposite 12 months later!

[/quote]

Go on......

Corbs - you dont support this OR ANY OTHER BOARD? what the hell is that meant to mean? we should have no officials to make executive decisions, just the team and the manager? and you meant to say "hear" not here."Mindless use of words such as ''hound'' her out" - How is this a mindless use of words? The phrase to hound someone out is an analogy and as such demonstrates a fully functioning mind. "Mindless choice of words" would be a better phrase although even in context, i don''t see why it is mindless for someone to talk about hounding Delia out.We all have our perceptions, and everyone should be entitled to air them without being pariahed as "mindless"....As it stands, my perception is Delia has done an OK job but really needs to let someone else, preferably with more money, take over if we want to be successful....

In reply to you Kevin, I have too met Neil Doncaster on a number of occasions and emailed him a few times too. At all times he replies (or not depending on whether he''s answered the question of just given his opinion) promptly and is courteous in his approach to myself and I guess other supporters.

I don''t particularly rate him as a CE and certainly NOT as a supporter of this club. He only discovered NCFC on appointment here. He''s an employee and a very well rewarded one at that, as such I am afraid he''s always going to be open to criticism.

He is very approachable and a nice man to chat with, yes. As is Delia. What probably separates many of us on this board is our perception of his (and the board''s) abilities to run this football club to the best of their abilities and with the right emphasis on team versus infrastructure.

I agree, it''s not nice to be personal when attacking anyone on the board, players, manager etc.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]In reply to you Kevin, I have too met Neil Doncaster on a number of occasions and emailed him a few times too. At all times he replies (or not depending on whether he''s answered the question of just given his opinion) promptly and is courteous in his approach to myself and I guess other supporters. I don''t particularly rate him as a CE and certainly NOT as a supporter of this club. He only discovered NCFC on appointment here. He''s an employee and a very well rewarded one at that, as such I am afraid he''s always going to be open to criticism. He is very approachable and a nice man to chat with, yes. As is Delia. What probably separates many of us on this board is our perception of his (and the board''s) abilities to run this football club to the best of their abilities and with the right emphasis on team versus infrastructure. I agree, it''s not nice to be personal when attacking anyone on the board, players, manager etc.[/quote]

YUP![Y] my ''perception'' also.....[8-|]

[quote user="kevin brighton"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]"Nice" doesn`t always equal "competent"......[:|][/quote]

Instead of one line responses why dont you back up what you say with some facts. To be honest as passionate as football can be and as passionate as supporters can be there is a lot of utter tripe posted non factual and only done to have a go. I believe that our supporters are far more knowledgeable than they come across with some of the complete nonsense that is posted. 

[/quote]

Tripe is a way of life.......If you haven''t got the stomach for it......

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

. im sure we can allremember when the board have said things publically only to say completely the opposite 12 months later!

[/quote]

Go on......
[/quote]

ok... lets go back to the summer...

"the Club DO NOT need to sell" which wasnt true was it.... coming out and saying we do not need to sell when infact 2 players are on their way is, to put it bluntly, a fib is it not?

"dean Ashton is not for Sale" - oops.

i have to leave for work in a bit so cant sit here and type out more exammples... Do a search for news stories on here...

Or read Neil Doncasters column.. then read it again in 12 months time and see how many times he says "this simply isnt the case" despite saying the Contrary earlier!!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Go on...... [/quote]

ok... lets go back to the summer...

"the Club DO NOT need to sell" which wasnt true was it.... coming out and saying we do not need to sell when infact 2 players are on their way is, to put it bluntly, a fib is it not?

"dean Ashton is not for Sale" - oops.

[/quote]Come on mate, how many times have you heard clubs say ''such and such is not for sale'', only for the player to leave a few days/weeks later? What would you have had us do, say ''Ashton is available for transfer, this is the asking price''? By saying a player is not for sale, you''re encouraging potential suitors to come in with a more lucrative offer!

His personality, and his accessibility to fans, has got precisely nothing to do with anything.

During his tenure he has kept us financially solvent, our debt manageable, made investments to infrastructure that may reap rewards going forwards, and overseen strategies that have kept our fan revenues and attendances at their capacity.

Nevertheless, football is a results driven industry and senior executives are ultimately accountable within any company; simply put, Neil Doncaster is Chief Executive of an organisation that has performed poorly in it''s core business, and for over 3 years now.

[quote]"the Club DO NOT need to sell" which wasnt true was it.... coming out and saying we do not need to sell when infact 2 players are on their way is, to put it bluntly, a fib is it not?[/quote]

The club didn''t need to sell for financial reasons, as a result of the 2 million loan the Turners brought in.  The club had to sell for contractual reasons, in the case of Earnshaw and Etuhu, and I''m guessing personal reasons in the case of Safri.

In my opinion, it was more a case of subsequent events making the statement a lie than a conspiracy or "spin".  It depends on whether you believe that there was prior knowledge of the Earnshaw and Etuhu sales as to whether the statement was deliberately misleading.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]"the Club DO NOT need to sell" which wasnt true was it.... coming out and saying we do not need to sell when infact 2 players are on their way is, to put it bluntly, a fib is it not?[/quote]

The club didn''t need to sell for financial reasons, as a result of the 2 million loan the Turners brought in.  The club had to sell for contractual reasons, in the case of Earnshaw and Etuhu, and I''m guessing personal reasons in the case of Safri.

In my opinion, it was more a case of subsequent events making the statement a lie than a conspiracy or "spin".  It depends on whether you believe that there was prior knowledge of the Earnshaw and Etuhu sales as to whether the statement was deliberately misleading.

[/quote]

And within a few weeks of making the above statement Doncaster was asked how the club was planning to cover the supposed "black hole" caused by the expiry of the parachute payments he replied "in part by profits in the transfer market". I can`t be bothered to find it but it is there. I`m sure in the interests of fairness and balance someone like AttackTB2HFFS will post a link......[:D]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

And within a few weeks of making the above statement Doncaster was asked how the club was planning to cover the supposed "black hole" caused by the expiry of the parachute payments he replied "in part by profits in the transfer market". I can`t be bothered to find it but it is there. I`m sure in the interests of fairness and balance someone like AttackTB2HFFS will post a link......[:D]

[/quote]

Neil Doncaster told me outside Carrow Road that we made a profit on Robert Earnshaw... this being despite the fact we sold him for EXACTLY what we bought him ffor if media reports are to be believed....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Neil Doncaster told me outside Carrow Road that we made a profit on Robert Earnshaw... this being despite the fact we sold him for EXACTLY what we bought him ffor if media reports are to be believed....

You were given spin by the press there, or that everything you read in the press is true.[:S]

[/quote]

[quote user="kevin brighton"]Like I said most supporters are knowledgeable and intelligent.[/quote]

Sorry ''Oh Magnuss Magnitude''......or is it Kevin Bright-one?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The figure in the accounts for Earnshaw was £2.9m and we sold him for £3.5m so yes we made a profit. I think there were add-ons (probably if we were promoted) but they were not triggered.