Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

What kind of role will Mulryne play next season?

As I was travelling home from Uni today (that''s right posters- No longer an exile!) this thought struck me: How big a role will Mulryne play next season? It''s fair to say that since the arival of Francis, him and Holty have pretty much dominated the centre of the midfield. Mulryne has found it hard to get into the starting line up. I''m a massive fan of Francis, I think he''s had an excellent season. Although he''s had the odd off game I think he''s been really solid and with Holty we''ve got a very strong central midfield.

When Mulryne first came I really liked him. I can still remember is debut when he came on with Dalgliesh (*shiver*). I''ll never forget his beauty of a free kick which he curled in, on sky, at Grimsby a free weeks later. I really thought we had captured a gem from Manchester United. However, in the past couple of years I''ve been steadily more disappointed with him. I always feel that we play so much deeper with him in the middle of the park. I want to cheer everytime he crosses the half way line!! I know a lot of people still rate him very highly and think he''s an excellent play maker. And on his day he definitely can be. If he''s given time and space he can ping the ball atound the field superbly. However, will the Premiership game let him do this? I don''t think so.

If we were to sign another midfielder this summer, you would assume that he would be better quality than we already have. Surely this would push Mullers even further down the pecking order?

After his very bright start, I''m worried that Mulryne might become even more of a squad player next year than he has been this.

Thoughts?

I also thought he looked really good when he first arrived but sadly he hasn''t gone on to prove that he is a top midfield player. Yes he always seemed to be playing too deep, but in his defence that may be the way he was told to play. I don''t think his fitness level was very high, but this may have been down to his reported social lifestyle. What did worry me a great deal is the way he always slid in to make a tackle, you are not going to win much ball in midfield sitting on your backside.

He clearly has talent but I think he will need to work very hard on his fitness during the summer. I believe the ball is firmly in his court now and he has the perfect stage in the premiership to show he has what it takes to compete at the highest level.

For that matter - what kind of role will Mcveigh play next season.

A year ago, he really was our star -and looked good initially when Crouch and Hucks arrived.

By his standards the second half was poor - only glimpses of his full potential. What now- with more players arriving?

Still think he''ll fill the left-side of midfield as his game is more suited to the Premiership. If he pulls his finger out that is.

Can''t see Worthy employing the 4-3-3 system in the top flight - too risky, but still quite exciting with Bentley and McVeigh on either wing and Hucks and Swede upfront.

Sorry Peter, but I think the two Northern Irish players had, by their own standards, poors seasons last year, a year in which we had a number of players worthy of player of the year. This is as a result of cockiness or lack of dedication. Both players need a kick up the bottom, and in the case of Mulryne, leave the pies alone. Along with Rivers, they are the ones wo do not live up to Worthy´s work ethic, and it is a case of shape up or ship out!

Agreed - which is why I said McVeigh had to pull his finger out. If he can get back to being the player he was two seasons ago then he''ll do a job in the Premiership.

Agreed Steve White, Judging by a recent "Worthy" Press report the whole team will have to improve in many areas to hack it in the Prem. I believe our defensive work has to start in the opposing half and the two Irish players will have to find another yard of pace to be of any use in a Premiership mid field. Whether it is a lack of committment or fitness I can only hazard a guess. Body language suggests to that it is the former.

Not sure where Bentley is going to play, but I think it puts both Mulryne and McVeigh down the pecking order, so it remains to be seen if they rise to the challenge and grit their teeth (without pies getting in the way) and get back in again or just do a Mark Rivers.