Sign in to follow this  
No.8

A possible non-league gem?

Stuart Fleetwood of Forest Green turns down Crewe. A £200k transfer fee had been agreed.

"The 21- year-old has rebuilt his career this season and is currently the scorer in senior football in England. Fleetwood''s prowess in front of goal saw him score 30 goals in all competitions before the turn of the year"

£200k for a non-league player is a large fee! Could he be the next Kevin Doyle!?!

Is this where we realistically need to be looking in the transfer market?  

[quote user="No.8"]

Stuart Fleetwood of Forest Green turns down Crewe. A £200k transfer fee had been agreed.

"The 21- year-old has rebuilt his career this season and is currently the scorer in senior football in England. Fleetwood''s prowess in front of goal saw him score 30 goals in all competitions before the turn of the year"

£200k for a non-league player is a large fee! Could he be the next Kevin Doyle!?!

[/quote]

Possibly yes, possibly no.  As someone who has spent most of his life watching lower league football including the Conference (I support Colchester, remember) I have seen plenty of players who can bang the ball in at this level and very impressive at that level they are.

Some (see FA Cups over decades) can raise it up against (technically) better opposition.  Some were born with it from the start (see under George Best as an example) and did not need to be plucked from obscurity by the age of 21.

Could Mr Fleetwood bang the goals in up against Championship defences, week in, week out.  Or dance through the Stoke City rearguard?  How would he cope with two on him?

I cannot answer those questions but before you top an offer of £200,0000 for a non-League player I think they are the questions you might ask.

It all depends how much you want to pay to carry out this experiment.  If Mr Roeder or his scouts think the answer is yes, no doubt you could go in for him.

There are some good scorers in the Conference and League II but often they are up against defences that *might* make even Mr Grant look like a tactical genius with his defensive formation. 

I assume your scouts look at lower divisions?

He is difficult to ignore with the number of goals he has scored, but it is a huge step up to the championship.  At 200,000 he may be worth a look.  Maybe we should bring him in on trial for a week and see how good he is.

He obviously has an instict for goal, and knows where the net is. Could he make the step up, only one way to find out really, and if he doesn''t we could sell him to Crewe!

[quote user="No.8"]

[/quote]

seems to me he is staying by what he said, location would obviosuly be a big issue with his mother and think only teams he may possibly move to would be cheltham, bristol or swindon due to location. but i pretty sure he;ll stay

The Wales Under-21 international, who has been in prolific form for Rovers this season scoring 30 goals in 33 games, held talks with the League One club but has opted to remain at the New Lawn.

He told the club''s official website: "It is a decision I have reached along with my family. Everyone at Rovers has made us so welcome from the boardroom to the supporters on the terraces.

"My mother in particular has a genuine affection for the club and everyone she meets each match day. The club is now part of my family as well and I am committed with my team-mates to making this the best ever season that the club have experienced in their history."

Rovers manager Jim Harvey was delighted with the news and said: "Whilst neither the board nor myself would ever stand in the way of any player progressing up the football ladder and that on this occasion we may have missed out on a massive windfall, it shows how genuine Stuart is and knowing the lad as I do, I know his word is his bond."

A club statement added: "Stuart wishes it to be known to all those associated with Forest Green Rovers that irrespective of any other bids, he will now be playing in the famous black and white stripes and trying his hardest to assist his team mates in achieving a play-off position."

Surely if (and it''s a huge if) we wanted to sign him, a kid from the Conference wouldn''t turn us and £2k a week (or however much) down on location grounds! I supsect his Mother''s qualms about him leaving the West Country would soon be overcome!

My housemate is mates with Fleetwood, they went to school together, and he assures me he is the dogs wotsits.

Apparantly he got ill at Hereford, can''t remember what it was, and Hereford treated him like shit. Bet they''re regretting it now!

Well done to the lad, looks like he might even push towards 50 for the season and it''s nice to see a bit of loyalty too.