Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Is Lappin wasting his time?

I hope not, but with Bertrand looking useful at LM and Pattison waiting in the wings, i don''t think i fancy his chances of getting a game. He will be waiting for injuries. But credit to him for sticking it out and keeping is head down. I''d like to have another look at him at some stage.

Maybe he should go out on loan, it would save us some wages and he would be able to showcase what he can actually do if given first time football.

This bloke will stay and pick up his inflated wage because no one else would want him. He will not want to give them any excuse to terminate his contract. He was poor on monday night and should thank Grant for getting him a wage

He could be an okay squad player, but not much more - lacks enough pace to be a consistent midfielder which is where he prefers to play.  Good with a dead ball though, not the worst option to come off the bench with 10 minutes to go.

[quote user="James Maloney"]He could be an okay squad player, but not much more - lacks enough pace to be a consistent midfielder which is where he prefers to play.  Good with a dead ball though, not the worst option to come off the bench with 10 minutes to go.[/quote]I think Lappin is a useful squad player, not much more.  He is the crosser of the ball at the club IMO but I think English football in general is moving away from the ball playing (Beckham) style wide players back to a more traditional pacy winger style wide player.  It would appear that Roeder is going that way too.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="James Maloney"]He could be an okay squad player, but not much more - lacks enough pace to be a consistent midfielder which is where he prefers to play.  Good with a dead ball though, not the worst option to come off the bench with 10 minutes to go.[/quote]I think Lappin is a useful squad player, not much more.  He is the crosser of the ball at the club IMO but I think English football in general is moving away from the ball playing (Beckham) style wide players back to a more traditional pacy winger style wide player.  It would appear that Roeder is going that way too.[/quote]I thought he looked really good just after we signed him - at first he was uncomplicated and consistent, comfortable in possession and looked a good signing for less than £100k. Unfortunately his form dipped (and it''s not like he was the only one), and he never got his place back. In a more confident side (which we undoubtedly are under Roeder) I think he''d look a better player, and he''s well worth hanging on to for squad strength, especially considering his versatility. He takes good set-pieces, too.

No, not in the short term.  If he was I think he would have been one of the players released a couple of weeks ago.

If we don''t bring any players in before the end of January, it''s possible that we might need Pattison to play in centre midfield again before the end of the season.  If Bertrand gets injured or recalled by Chelsea, Lappin would provide our only cover.

I''m not convinved he has the ability to play in the Championship, and ultimately I think he may be released in the summer, but until the squad is strengthened Imo he remains an important part of the team.

i dont think he is wasting his time.. that shows a positive attitude that he wants to be here and fight for a chance.. force Glens hand and get in the team... he''s clearly a fighter and thats the sort of Mentality u need in a player.. Cant see him ebing here in the summer but godo luck to him!

jas :)