Sign in to follow this  
beachball

Does Roeders philosophy mean the end of the Academy

Roeders continual name dropping of who he knows and what favours they can do, could be the beginning of the end for the Academy.If he is able to continually bring in young, up and coming Premiership stars what chance do the local lads have.Common business sense makes this a very viable proposition as long as the conveyor belt from the premiership continues and it is obvious that these youngsters are a level above what is being home grown. My problem is what happens if a man like Roeder with his contacts leaves the club?

Norwich as many posters mention struggle to attract quality youngsters due to geographical conditions but those that have come have in the past always felt there was a reasonable path to the first team. The original concept of an Academy was to improve the English game and filter home grown players into the clubs,but the whole system has been hijacked and I fear for the opportunities that young players have at their own clubs. Within 5 years I believe that the Championship will be nothing more than a Reserve league for the Premiership and Academies gone! I hope not because a local lad playing for his local club is what it should be all about.

AHH what price success????????????????????

Whenever GR has been at a club, mention has been made of his ability to bring on youth players from within. The current crop of academy products (Shackell, Martin, the Jarvises) have hardly been pulling up trees in their careers so far, Martin seems to have gone right off the boil after his promising start, Shackell looks to be the 3rd central defender if / when Tiny comes in, and the Jarvises seem to be on loan more often than troubling the first team.  Their lack of progress has to be a result of the comfort zone that they have found themselves in.  Once you''ve signed pro forms, you get a comfortable living for not very much if you''re in reserve football.  As Roeder said, they have to want the success, they have to work for it in order to be involved.  Why should academy graduates get preferential treatment over other players ? 

As for Lewis''s transfer, which has been seen by many as a sign of the end of promoting from within, was a pragmatic solution to a short-term problem, he was ready for that level, we couldn''t offer him first team football here as he would be 3rd choice, and Posh did offer a decent fee for a player with no Championship experience.  I think that if anyone will protect and improve our academy system, it is likely to be GR, you don''t get talked about as a potential director of football at Arsenal if you have no interest in building up an academy.

Yes and No.

I think the academy structure as a whole is in trouble and there is a very real chance of the championship becomming a premiership reserve league. If not in name, as I don''t think anyone would stand for that, but in practice with young premiership loans dominating most teams. 

However, personally I think Roeder will do nothing but good for our academy. Whether he brings in Arsenal loan players or not, he will be an infinetly better man to oversee that Peter Grant or Worthington ever were or some of the reputed canditates for the job at Roeders time of appointment. He has a track record of directing academies at Premiership level, has worked as part of the football factory that was West Hams academy of past. Given the chance he, will make the best of our academy. But we have to accept, under its current system we are never going to have the best academy due to the age old problem of location. Roeders influence on the academy will be medium to long term and we have accept (and applaud) him using every means available to survive in the short term.

As for what happens your question about what happens if he leaves,  I hope the board have learnt from the contrast between Grant and Roeder, that they must always be looking to appoint a man who knows his way round the transfer market and that other clubs are prepared to do buissness with and will trust with their players in a loan situation. Grant just didn''t know what was what or who was who when it came to transfers, and we can''t let that happen again. Its all very well being able to run a training session, but if you can''t organise some decent players to be at those training sessions then your a Coach not a Manager. 

You would have to admit that apart from a string of young goalkeepers, the academy has not produced many players of excellence.  Bellamy and Sutton were pre-academy?  Martin seemed to be the goods, Spillane was regarded as the most promising, but...The main problem is the "ninety minute rule", which allows ipswich to recruit from North London but leaves us with a virtually rural and thinly populated area. Crewe have produced a number of good players because they are near the Manchester conurbation, but we lack this.

But we have have recruited people like Renton and the Irish Lads, and I suppose if the coaches were up to it we could look abroad. And we have signed a few who did not make the grade in other academies. I think that GR has shown a willingness and ability todevelop young players. If he can develop the copaching system, then who knows what we might produce.

[quote user="Salopian"]

The main problem is the "ninety minute rule", which allows ipswich to recruit from North London but leaves us with a virtually rural and thinly populated area.
[/quote]

BUT we are allowed to have a satellite Academy centre and we have an arrangement with Hertfordshire University Sports Complex at Hatfield (a few miles north of the M25). Thus we too can recruit from North London, East London and the Home Counties.

Stephens (Wales U17) and Dawkins (Wales U16)  spring to mind.