Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Transfer Fund Call

While I support the concept of supporters raising money for a transfer fund by setting up Direct Debits, I cannot help but feel a little annoyed that we have wealthy people on the Board who should lead by example. Primarily the Turners, we have seen a loan of 2 Million when they joined but that seems to be it, I am aware that much of their capital is tied up in their business but they are still far more wealthy than any posters on this forum I am sure. I do not mind giving money for this cause and will happily do so when it is up and running, but I also want to see out major shareholders doing the same thing!

I think it''s a fairly ridiculous proposition at this level. Championship players just cost too much - and the thought of my hard-earned cash filling some greasy agent''s back pocket sticks in my throat (or will the money just be used towards the fee, not all the hidden extras in transfer deals).

Let''s say the average contributor gives £100 a year, then you''re going to need 5,000 people to raise half a million quid, which will only buy a player with potential - a Chris Brown-esque player who half the people on this board will be disappointed by!

In any case, I''d be amazed if they can get that amount of people to give money. If they''d ever worked anywhere in fundraising then I think they''d seriously downsize their projections. Fair enough and good luck to the project but I can think of more worthy causes to give any spare cash to... If we want more transfer money then the board need to find new investors, because I very much douby schemes like this are the answer.

I think this is a great idea. If the fund is kept in the power of the fans the board would have nothing to do with it. They could pay the wages, we pay the fee. There is often so much division on this message board but I think this is one scheme we should back whole-heartedly as fans. Lets set an example to the board and put our money where our mouth is!

A better incentive would be if the club agreed to match £ for £ whatever this incentive generates. I fear our board would see this as a further excuse not to put their hands in their own pockets during transfer windows.

I will probably sign up for the scheme but like you it does annoy me a bit when you''ve got people running the club who could put as much in as a lump sum as this scheme could raise in years. Good idea though, if it caught on in a big way it could raise a fair bit of cash.

good idea but main reasons im unsure of it is

1. you got plenty money from earnie,safri, etuhu ashton

where has that money gone? you only really signed dave striker, russell and marshall for biggish fee''s i think

2. dont supporters pay enough in season ticket sales, and general match day tickets. let alone buying new kits in the summer i should think

3. will money be spent wisely on marshall type player, or will it be wasted on say another dave. will fans get some sort of input?

if the system works but you get rubbish player then im sure fans wouldnt be willing to stump cash the next time

Are you mad enough to think the board would allow such a split?

[quote user="Spartan"]I think this is a great idea. If the fund is kept in the power of the fans the board would have nothing to do with it. They could pay the wages, we pay the fee. There is often so much division on this message board but I think this is one scheme we should back whole-heartedly as fans. Lets set an example to the board and put our money where our mouth is![/quote]

Agree with you there Grando,surely scheme''s like this should be consigned to history (along with throwing money in a blanket before the match) there should be enough wealth within this county ,or even the club,to curtail the obvious desperate measure of the fan''s dipping into their pockets again!

Ive got mixed feelings to be honest. I''d be happy to help but part of me feels why should I spend my hard earned cash when we have the Turners and Smiths on our board who are worth an absolute fortune.

I hope they are embarrassed when they read the story!!!

I think it`s a good idea and i hope it works, but i think our board would simply use it as an excuse to cut the internal transfer budget even further. After all, we were told that all money from selling players was available to the manager weren`t we? [:O]

Im not sure about this, the fans have to cough up even more, my season ticket costs £350! Then, we have to rely on the manager spending wisely with our money, for example; Andy Hughes, Chris Brown, Neil Emblem, Carl Robinson etc... Spend wisely Glen, it''s OUR money!!

This is nonsense. Who decides who to buy, how much to pay for them, their wages etc?. Do the contributors vote? And what do the contributors do if they don''t like the choices made. Would you like your contributions spent on players of the calibre of Brellier, Strihavka, Robinson , Hartson et al?

I posted something similar on here to keep Martin Taylor - bearing in mind the share issue which helped bring Huckerby to City.  I still think I own the top joint of one of Huck''s little fingers!

I''m not wealthy at all - and am about to retire so my income will dive, but I''d be prepared to put a regular monthly amount into a fund, BUT - as already pointed out - if we as fans put in our money - we would want a say in how it was spent. 

The Huckerby scenario is a good example - and I think we could raise the £250,000 for Taylor quite easily.  The problem would be when the fans have raised - say - £350,000 and the club want to put the cash towards buying some unknown, or someone some of us think is great - and others wouldn''t touch (eg Joey Barton??)!

Problem is that at the moment we all want to help the club, we all want good players in now - but how a fans'' fund could be managed is a logistical nightmare.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

This is nonsense. Who decides who to buy, how much to pay for them, their wages etc?. Do the contributors vote? And what do the contributors do if they don''t like the choices made. Would you like your contributions spent on players of the calibre of Brellier, Strihavka, Robinson , Hartson et al?

[/quote]

The manager decides who to buy and those who contribute would have to trust his judgement. I for one have more faith in Roeder and his abilities to identify a good player than I ever did in Grant.

It''s interesting you mention Robinson because apparently it was Delia and MWJ who funded that transfer by giving the club £50K of their own money, so it illustrates the potential and principle of extra money being made available.

I can understand fans not wishing to contribute but what harm can it do? I really don''t understand people''s apparent dislike for it. It''s not the club that came up with it - purely a fan''s initiative. It may not generate enormous funds but if it helped top up the Taylor bid or secure another Matty Pattison then surely it''s worth it?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]While I support the concept of supporters raising money for a transfer fund by setting up Direct Debits, I cannot help but feel a little annoyed that we have wealthy people on the Board who should lead by example. Primarily the Turners, we have seen a loan of 2 Million when they joined but that seems to be it, I am aware that much of their capital is tied up in their business but they are still far more wealthy than any posters on this forum I am sure. I do not mind giving money for this cause and will happily do so when it is up and running, but I also want to see out major shareholders doing the same thing![/quote]

I pay well over£1000 a year for season tickets, spend money at the ground,programms,club shop etc.and cannot afford anymore. This idea is surely a joke.

Despite being a fan for over 40 years I would not be prepared to pay yet more money to buy players earning way way above what I am paid, let alone line some agents pocket as was mentioned earlier. Each week I compare the attendances in the Prem and Championship and we are among the best. Last Saturday only the derby (Utd v Wed) got more in our division and we were watched by more people than saw Chelsea, Manchester Utd or Arsenal (all away admittedly). If we cannot attract good players and have the funds required then who can? Something is wrong, not at CR but in the game generally.

This is not just a NCFC problem, it is a national problem and it stems from the fact that wages and agents fees are out of control. Yes as top rate entertainers they should be on fantastic salaries but surely it has gone too far. The game is disintegrating in front of our eyes, the sooner the big four clear off to Europe the better. A league that is run with global TV audiences in mind is bound to distance itself from the the real fans and coughing up to pay the inflated fees and wages sticks in the throat a bit.

As much as I want to see City back at the top, this is no long term solution I''m afraid.

I agree FilletTheFishWife it is nonesense. To work the fund would have to have charitable status which means that Trustees have to be appointed and they would have sole discretion on how the money is spent. Who are the Trustees accountable to?..... the answer is nobody as is the case with the Norwich Society.

Because it is a charity Registered Auditors would have to be appointed and the days are long gone when Registered Auditors work for nothing. My guess is a fee for something of the size suggested of between £2,000 and £5,000. Then there is the AGM costs, the Annual Reports costs, the Secretarial costs. There is the tax to pay on the interest accumulated, the negotiations with the Inland Revenue.Lets say 30% for Administrative Expenses at the higher income levels and a much higher percentage at the lower.

Added to which there is data protection .... and if the Government can not manage that what chance this Charity.

No the days of this sort of fund raising are long gone. Better lobby your bank to pump a few million into the Club I am thinking.

[quote user="Matt"]Im not sure about this, the fans have to cough up even more, my season ticket costs £350! Then, we have to rely on the manager spending wisely with our money, for example; Andy Hughes, Chris Brown, Neil Emblem, Carl Robinson etc... Spend wisely Glen, it''s OUR money!![/quote]

i forgot you guys had emblem, did he not do a job here? he was good servant for us guys, but always had injury problems

[quote user="Stevo"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

The manager decides who to buy and those who contribute would have to trust his judgement. I for one have more faith in Roeder and his abilities to identify a good player than I ever did in Grant.

It''s interesting you mention Robinson because apparently it was Delia and MWJ who funded that transfer by giving the club £50K of their own money, so it illustrates the potential and principle of extra money being made available.

I can understand fans not wishing to contribute but what harm can it do? I really don''t understand people''s apparent dislike for it. It''s not the club that came up with it - purely a fan''s initiative. It may not generate enormous funds but if it helped top up the Taylor bid or secure another Matty Pattison then surely it''s worth it?

[/quote]

You have faith in Roeder and trust his judgement now. What happens if that faith disappears or Roeder himself leaves and his replaced with someone with the acumen of Grant. What happens when instead of buying a Taylor they buy a Rehman?

Stop contributing? Ask for your money back?

[quote user="Warminster Yellow"]

Despite being a fan for over 40 years I would not be prepared to pay yet more money to buy players earning way way above what I am paid, let alone line some agents pocket as was mentioned earlier. Each week I compare the attendances in the Prem and Championship and we are among the best. Last Saturday only the derby (Utd v Wed) got more in our division and we were watched by more people than saw Chelsea, Manchester Utd or Arsenal (all away admittedly). If we cannot attract good players and have the funds required then who can? Something is wrong, not at CR but in the game generally.

This is not just a NCFC problem, it is a national problem and it stems from the fact that wages and agents fees are out of control. Yes as top rate entertainers they should be on fantastic salaries but surely it has gone too far. The game is disintegrating in front of our eyes, the sooner the big four clear off to Europe the better. A league that is run with global TV audiences in mind is bound to distance itself from the the real fans and coughing up to pay the inflated fees and wages sticks in the throat a bit.

As much as I want to see City back at the top, this is no long term solution I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Fantastic post and I agree with every word of this.  The idea of raising funds in this way is not a bad one and it could have some minor effect (which can only be good) but the sums needed are too large for this to have any real effect.

I''ve got a great idea to raise money for the club!!!

Give the club money! FREE!

YES! MONEY!

FREE!

Awesome! Then the club has money! When people give it to them! QUICK WRITE AN ARTICLE!

How did this stupid idea ever gain any credence!?

I think this should only work on a one-off basis: if we want a player and ''money''s tight'' then why not chip in?

It''s the same as the Hucks situation.

Get the wallet out if you want (or purse as Delia did) but to put money into a pint pot ala ''round of drinks'', well, someone always comes out a winner and it ain''t the teetotal driver who put his tenner in in good faith.

money in, money out is the way it should be whether it''s us or the directors. it works in my house! 

I think this is a ridiculous idea.

It''s not like trying to keep your your local lifeboat, or save some local landmark or needy charity.

This is Norwich City Football Club - a self-confessed business, run by business people.

A few years ago, I answered the ''call'' of the club and contributed to the "Huckerby fund" in exchange for voting shares. In my opion, an excellent deal.

Since then, as many of you point out, they have generated large amounts of money through lucrative transfers etc etc.

NCFC already get a generous contribution from fans annually via the Norwich & Peterborough savings account. Min of 1% of all money held on balance.
By their own admission, they have had £2.4 million pounds in the last ten years this way.

(   http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/CanaryConnections/0,,10355~431930,00.html    )

If money is needed specifically for transfers they should do like most other businesses do i.e. cut direct overhead running costs, cut employee (players) wages, raise money through another share issue or seek external investment. We already maximise their cash intake by 23,000
What other business would expect it''s customers (fans) to not only pay for their goods (matchday tickets) but also to hand them extra cash for free to finance the company''s ''growth''?

There is, however, a more fundamental problem with all this.... we (as fans or indeed shareholders) are not told what the transfer budget is or where the previous funds raised in transfers has gone. We may not even need (not want - we always want more) any more transfer funds.

Is the real problem not that we do not have the money, is it that they refuse to spend the money?

People have replied saying that they already spend enough on Norwich City and thats fair enough...This would be a voluntary contribution...If you don''t want in don''t worry about it. Just to write the idea off as ''nonsense'' is exactly that. Also - some posts have bemoaned the board - where has the money from other transfers etc - so maybe the fact that this idea has even been raised again forces us to think about the board and how happy we are with the way they currently run the club.  

Hi All

It was another Pinkun user and myself who developed this Norwich City Kitty idea (from his posting on here) and we are aware that the idea would not be to everyones liking but we are not aiming this at those supporters. We need to compete with some big money clubs within this division and it is not possible or fair to expect the directors to keep emptying their bank accounts to fund this club and why should we not do our bit (should we wish to). I would recommend that people read the whole article in the EDP before posting comments on here as a lot of the fears and concerns that people might have are answered within the article.

Please also remember that we are investing in the future of OUR club and we have a duty as supporters to protect our club and make sure its there for future generations. I have one aim for this club and that is for them to be a Premier League club (and stay there) and if there is anything that I feel I can do to help achieve this goal  I am going to do it.

OTBC  Iain

I like the idea in principle, indeed I briefly attempted something similar before realising I was out of my depth, but I feel that just to give the club extra money for players with nothing in return is a little too easy for the people in charge.  There should be some form of accountability in exchange for taking the money, and if the people on this fund were given some form of representation at board level if they achieved a yearly target, say 250,000 a year, then I think the fund would gain credibility with fans. 

[quote user="Mister Positive"]

Hi All

We need to compete with some big money clubs within this division and it is not possible or fair to expect the directors to keep emptying their bank accounts to fund this club and why should we not do our bit (should we wish to).

OTBC  Iain

[/quote]

Firstly well done for trying to do something to help our club although as I said earlier I''m in two minds at the moment.

Could you tell me whilst I''m thinking about the idea which director has emptied their bank accounts to fund our club?

Thanks

P.S. Wonder what NCISA think of the idea?