Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

WHO WERE THE OTHER 8 PREMIERSHIP CLUBS?...

Yes...just who were the other 8 Premiership Clubs interested in signing Bentley? Does anyone know who they were?

Has the ego now landed?

Dont get me wrong - Id rather have a Bentley than a Bent (could be a chant that) but he seems to have a very high opinion of himself. I will put it down to youthful exuberance for now and hopeful he will justify his claims wit his performances on the pitch.

There were never 8 others after him - including Arsenal and City thats half the Premiership but its still a major coup to land him. Im concerned that the hype and being labelled the next Dennis Bergkamp might affect his performances.

BTW, does anyone rate Alexei Smertin? Not in Mourinho''s plans and could boost vodka sales on Riverside.

I lived down in Pompey last year and he''s rated very highly down there. Done a great job. Last I heard they were trying to get him on loan again. More likely to stick with Pompey than come to us I would have thought

I understand from the BBC that he has returned to Chelsea to fight for a first team place. As Mourinho has loaned out Veron he may do the same with Smertin (Abramovich may want to keep the Russian captain at the Bridge) this season. His wages cannot be very high as Pompey managed them after getting promoted. Im sure a season in Norfolk at a family club would appeal to him - we are bound to get him - we beat of half the Premiership to get Bentley!

Dirty Lyle, did you hear David Bentley speak in his interview on Skysports yesterday? Ok, maybe he did mention the eight other clubs that had been interested in him (not by name, of course), but no way did he come across as particularly arrogant or egotistic. He seemed very grounded and pretty mature for one so young, and I''m sure Worthy knows he is someone he can work well with and who won''t upset the spirit within the team. I''m glad you''d rather we had him than a certain Binner...oh yes, and he also said he would fight for his place in the team. Not the sign of someone who already thinks they are god''s gift, I believe, but maybe others on here think differently. Anyway, there is a school of thought that says there is a fine line between the self-belief that makes a player who/what he is and the extreme arrogance that can potentially be destructive. I think we should give him a fair chance to prove what a talent everyone at Arsenal thinks he is and to prove he has that self-belief in bucketloads.

Isn''t it more a case of the lad''s just being eager to kickstart his career and finally get a decent run of games under his belt, can''t blame him for being eager and keen...

Sounds to me like he''s said all the right things at the press conference and is looking forward to the coming season, as well all are...