Sign in to follow this  
Terry Ryst

Bring back terracing!!!

I bloody hope they bring back terracing one day. I personally feel the atmosphere is nowhere near as good as it was when the barclay was terracing. It was non stop singing back then. And it was superb when we scored and everyone was going mental and charging towards the fence. What are other peoples thoughts?

well the worst away game I have been to for atmosphere and noise was colchester... which is terracing.

all the other seated grounds have been much better.

[quote user="Terry Ryst"]I bloody hope they bring back terracing one day. I personally feel the atmosphere is nowhere near as good as it was when the barclay was terracing. It was non stop singing back then. And it was superb when we scored and everyone was going mental and charging towards the fence. What are other peoples thoughts?[/quote]I think you should give that poor boy his passport photo back, oh and the other thing, it''s the law.  You gonna change the law ?

I''m with you pal, bring back terracing. While we''re dreaming, perhaps, you could organise, the banning of women and dropping the price of admission too. That would suit me fine.

the atmosphere at white hart lane on Tuesday night just proves that all seater stadiums can generate an ass good, if not better, atmosphere than terracing..

2 blokes at work are spurs fans.. they went... one of them said its the loudest he''s known it since the days of terracing...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the atmosphere at white hart lane on Tuesday night just proves that all seater stadiums can generate an ass good, if not better, atmosphere than terracing..

2 blokes at work are spurs fans.. they went... one of them said its the loudest he''s known it since the days of terracing...

[/quote]Well if it''s oonly louder than terracing now, about 15 years after they banned it then that would suggest that all seater stadiums find it harder to generate such a good atmosphere?They stand up safely in other sports (rugby) and other countries (Germany) so there''s no real reason why they can''t re-introduce it here, it generates a much better atmosphere and there was always seating areas for those that wanted them.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I watched the game on Sky, and had to turn the volumn down for the last 30min due to the volumn of singing.

As for the terracing, its a nice idea, but its never going to happen.

[quote user="HappyhammerAndy"]While we''re dreaming, perhaps, you could organise, the banning of women. That would suit me fine.[/quote]

I''d rather ban teams from the top division who avoid relegation by breaking the rules.........but then I''m not a misogynistic twunt like you.

[quote user="Norfolk&Chance"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]The Shelf and the Lane stood thats why. Standing in seated areas is dangerous. I don''t think terracing will return sadly as its all to do with control, not safety or comfort. Terracing was never dangerous. Overcrowding and more importatntly fencing was dangerous. Nothing in the Taylor report said that all seater stadiums would improve safety apparently (I skipped reading that one.......) in a fire like bradford I know where I''d rather be.... on a terrace.Terraces were fantastic, there is no ground that had ever regained the atmosphere that terracing produced. It kept ticket pricing at a level where working class people could afford to go, and it was always these that were at the heart of the noise. Yes it was threatening, yes it was intimidating. Yes there was always some fool who took kids in there. But it was fantastic. Remember Hillsborough when we got promoted? I''ve never seen scenes like that repeated.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="HappyhammerAndy"]While we''re dreaming, perhaps, you could organise, the banning of women. That would suit me fine.[/quote]

I''d rather ban teams from the top division who avoid relegation by breaking the rules.........but then I''m not a misogynistic twunt like you.

[/quote]

haha, i personally prefer standing and stand through every home game, i think you generate more noise standing than sitting down. got to think colchester what 5k stadium hardly going cause deafness is it

I think we can get a bit or a rose-tinted view of the old Barclay much as I enjoyed the singing, surging and general mayhem that occurred when we scored. However, you generally need a good game to get people going and whether it''s terraced or seated if there''s a full house and a cracking game you''re going to get a good atmosphere. The ironic thing about an all-seated stadium, though, is that you don''t get the atmosphere from people sitting down, it''s when they are standing up and singing, i.e. reproducing the terrace experience, that you get the best atmosphere. I would welcome the reintroduction of some terracing if only on the grounds of price - it''s outrageous to be paying £20-25 a ticket - but this is getting into another debate.

I desperately miss the terraces.

Safety is not an Issue it would be quite easy to have limited areas that would be safer than seats.

You never got cold in the Barclay (not like these days)

I find it sad that many fans did not have the chance to experience it.

I would gladly pay twice my season ticket price to stand. It would be easy enough to take out a few rows at the front of the Barclay and drop the floor level, with season ticket only. But alas it is never going to happen and the world is poorer for it.

I remember the last game in the old Barclay after the final whistle we all went to the south stand corner to mourn its passing and were joined by the Arsenal fans.

The following season against Chelsea I was nearly arrested for standing in the back row of the Barclay.

I remember Hillsborough never seen so many coaches attendance 19000. 10000 Norwich fans   

Never understood the desire to bring terracing back. Things are a lot more civilised nowadays, we don''t have to arrive 2 hours early to make sure someone under 5 and half foot can see the game. Plus I hate standing in the same sport for 10 minutes let alone 2 or 3 hours.

Wasnt around in the terracing days. But having watched several real football factories on Bravo, im very happy that all the hooligans are seperate and not allowed to stand in a big group. Its fine at a club like norwich, but at clubs like Leeds and West Ham its too dangerous for everyone else.

Good point about keeping the hooligans seperate, I hadn''t thought of that. However, as someone who WAS around in the terraced days, all I can say is that  I would buy a season ticket tomorrow if they were re-introduced. The atmosphere in the Barclay when we all stood was so much better than anything an all-seater stand could possibly offer. Something died, never to return, the day they pulled the old Barclay down.

As another poster pointed out tho, terraced areas are never coming back.

I don''t know why everyone is so defeatist about terraces coming back. If our supporters clubs actually got together and pressured the government for small areas of terracing then I can''t see why it wouldn''t happen. It was supporters clubs that got terracing in Germany.

I''m sure some people do prefer seating, but shouldn''t us "customers" be offered a choice?

Its a bit worrying people see government laws as inevitable, and meekly succomb to identity cards, CCTV, smoking bans, probably drinking limits in the near future...

Besides it feels slightly ridicuolous singing, chanting, and screaming at the pitch..while sat in a chair.

[quote]I''m with you pal, bring back terracing. While we''re dreaming, perhaps, you could organise, the banning of women and dropping the price of admission too. That would suit me fine.[/quote]

why do u want women banned from football???? do they no nothing? do they just ogle the players legs? I gaurentee theres probably quite a few male football fans who fit into both categories too! would u ban them?

No Jas, no one wants anyone "banned" from football, I am not even going to reply to the person who suggested it.

As to terracing, I am old enough to remember standing on the terraces, even standing in the old Barclay (yes, there were women who went to football matches before the 90s!).

As several others have said, I would too pay a premium to stand in a terracing only area should we ever have the choice to do so. I also tend to agree the atmosphere was better then, does this have anything to do with the fact some of the football was more entertaining? Maybe. However, if we can match the effort and style of the last home game maybe the atmosphere will slowly come back to somewhere approaching CR of old.

The club have made it known many times in the past they would bring back terracing at CR if legislation allowed.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]No Jas, no one wants anyone "banned" from football, I am not even going to reply to the person who suggested it. As to terracing, I am old enough to remember standing on the terraces, even standing in the old Barclay (yes, there were women who went to football matches before the 90s!). As several others have said, I would too pay a premium to stand in a terracing only area should we ever have the choice to do so. I also tend to agree the atmosphere was better then, does this have anything to do with the fact some of the football was more entertaining? Maybe. However, if we can match the effort and style of the last home game maybe the atmosphere will slowly come back to somewhere approaching CR of old. The club have made it known many times in the past they would bring back terracing at CR if legislation allowed.[/quote]

I just don''t get it, maybe because I am getting older and like to sit down, also because my Mrs is rather petite, but it is just more civilised sitting down and watching the game with an unobstructed view, surely?

I was one of a huge amount of people that fought against carrow Road becoming all seater.  I apologise to all those that have only attended Carrow Road in the past 15 years that we failed, because you missed some wonderful days/nights.  Sad to say we faced the might of a government that wanted to punish football for hooliganism and told a number of lies and half truths to justify their actions.  I remember being told that it was a European rule, however didn''t Hamburg have standing areas in their ground prior to the 2006 World Cup?   I do believe that the climate has changed and that small standing areas for fans, all of whom are season ticket holders should be possible.  I have spoken with club officials about this and their line seems to be that while is it not permissable at this time, they would look at the option of standing if it became available. 

So if anybody wants to launch a campaign to allow safe standing areas in football grounds, you have my support. 

I am strongly of the opinion that some of the reasons for the lack of atmosphere at grounds, (including WHU), is because it is now more of a game for both sexes and families too.  In addition, seating has had a great affect.

That''''s fine, I don''t have a problem with any of that, but it is the price we pay, for the loss of real atmosphere, week in and week out.When, in our case, we play the likes of Reading, Bolton, Wigan etc, at home, it''s now flat. Any team can produce a alot of noise in the semi final of a cup competition, like our friend above. If you can''t, there''s something wrong.

I''ve taken my young lad to football for years but I''ve always been able to look afer him whatever happened.  I understand, that some people are unable to do this, so family enclosures are great. 

I sit in an upper tier behind the goal, all given over to families.  Again, great, but it is fact that one whole end of the ground is much quieter than the rest, unlike days gone by. Add in families, who sit elewhere in the ground and our atmosphere is nowhere near, as it was. Games away, are a diferent matter, which kind of backs up what I''m trying to put across.

I just prefer the days when all games kicked off at 3pm on a saturday afternoon, and it was predominately a man''s spectator sport. I yearn for those days to return, but of course they never will. Nothing wrong with that view is there? The bit about banning women, was sought of "tongue in cheek".   

Hello shack attack,

Aren''t you a bit late, old chap? This is posted at 9.04am! Doesn''t school start at 9, or is it different where you are?

Are you going on record, that in the history of our beautiful game, NUFC have never broken any of the rules?

Not a bit of envy there boss, is there, "top division".

Don''t the goal posts count as something that will always be on a football pich?

Mine is just banter, but you seem a little stressed old pal, have a walk around the playground at lunchtime. 

[quote user="Happyhammer Andy"]

Are you going on record, that in the history of our beautiful game, NUFC have never broken any of the rules?

[/quote]

Well I''m sure Norwich United haven''t broken that many rules in their history...

If anyone is interested in at least having designated ''standing areas'' then click on the link to read about it and sign a petition if you decide to.

http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk/

It''s natural to want to stand up especially when things are really happening on the pitch and it keeps the atmosphere more consistant.

They won''t ever bring back terracing, the police like the control they have by being able to identify trouble makers by their seat number.The terracing at Hillsborough was unsafe, there wern''t enough safety barriers, some of them were broken, some were at the wrong height (giving crush injuries) and some weren''t concreted in properly. The ground hadn''t renewed its safety certificate in years, and the FA, despite using the ground for high profile games, hadn''t even asked about whether the safety certificate was current. Also the clubs mainly supported bringing in all seater stadiums as it meant they got free grants worth millions to do up the grounds. If rules are followed then terracing can be safe, so long as you can keep the hooligans out. I would love to see terracing back but it won''t happen.You want to improve the atmosphere?- stop pricing out the traditional fan and replacing them with corporates and tourists- make the premiership more competitive. What is there to sing about when you are losing 2-0 to Chelsea AGAIN? Whats the point when you know your team has no chance of winning anything except maybe a 7th place finish and a euro vase spot?- Improve the quality of the football. Negative 4-5-1 tactics are nothing to sing about either.

Marty I think I am civilised enough, I am also not very tall. At present I stand (not sit) in the back row of the Barclay and the atmosphere up there is much better than sitting down half way down the stand. There is a wide range of ages and there are plenty of women too.

I am a middle aged woman (perhaps not the typical creature for advocating bringing back terracing) but there are plenty of me who would love the chance. I can see the game perfectly, standing behind several people - in the end it comes down to personal choice. I don''t say get rid of seats, there were always seats available before.

Football is (or should be) all about excitement and entertainment. I just can''t sit down and stay silent at a football game. I like to stand and sing and get caught up in what''s going on.

At the moment the stewards in our area let us be, and we do have a tiny piece of wording in the current legislation saying standing is permitted "in moments of excitement".

Large sections of crowds do infact still stand as we know, so to me it would be logical to bring back a section of Terracing. I doubt this will happen though. I would favour the traditional set-up of Terracing near the pitch, the whole length down the South Stand, and seating behind. I ''sit'' on the back row, so I do actually stand most of the time. No doubt standing does not suit children, elders, but clearly it can be done safely. As for those memories, just to many to go into!

[quote user="Aussie Canary"]

I was one of a huge amount of people that fought against carrow Road becoming all seater.  I apologise to all those that have only attended Carrow Road in the past 15 years that we failed, because you missed some wonderful days/nights.  Sad to say we faced the might of a government that wanted to punish football for hooliganism and told a number of lies and half truths to justify their actions.  I remember being told that it was a European rule, however didn''t Hamburg have standing areas in their ground prior to the 2006 World Cup?   I do believe that the climate has changed and that small standing areas for fans, all of whom are season ticket holders should be possible.  I have spoken with club officials about this and their line seems to be that while is it not permissable at this time, they would look at the option of standing if it became available. 

So if anybody wants to launch a campaign to allow safe standing areas in football grounds, you have my support. 

[/quote]

Bring it back,i really feel for the young''uns who missed it. Every week me and my mates would stand in the Barclay. You would see the same faces every time and when we scored you would hug them like a long lost brother.....and you never even knew his name!!. Happy days. Mind you i got the odd cup of P@ss disguised as a Bovril thrown over me!

The authorities thought that fans would adapt but as we see every game in the Barclay lower tier and other popular areas at other clubs this hasn''t happened. Its not just old timers from the old terraced days either - Fans too young to of gone on the terraces and some not even born when the old Barclay was ripped down in 1992 prefer to stand so the habit is getting passed down the generations!

Hillsborough was caused by the police and stewards opening up the gates and letting in of the street anyone regardless of whether they had a ticket or not. This led to too many people in the stand added together with the fences and penns which didn''t allow for a quick emergency exit all of which ultimately led to all the tragic fatalities. Nothing actually to do with the fact the stand was a terrace. The 1996 trajedy at Ellis park in South Africa where the death toll was over 100 was caused by the same thing - too many people in the stand, but this was in an all seated stadium. I''m convinced the tragic events that day in April 1989 at Hillsborough would of occurred even if the stand would of been all seated at the time!

Modern day ground control and regulations are vastly suprior to those in the 1980''s. Bringing back limited areas of terracing (like at Carrow road the Barclay lower tier and the snake pit) for home fans only wouldn''t pose any problems. Particularly if terraces were made to have walkways in front of them to allow for quick exits and fans were not allowed to congregate in exits and aisles.

Its not right that lower league clubs have standing areas, non league clubs, almost every other sport has standing areas, you can stand at music concerts and the German Bundesliga who get bigger crowds than our Premeirship have standing areas and top 2 Division clubs in England aren''t allowed to have them!

Myself personally I used to love standing in the old Barclay and even in the river end from time to time. I hate the current sit down - stand up nonsense thats goes on nowadays in the Barclay. If terracing was allowed to return this would cure this problem as those who wished to stand did so in the standing area and those who wished to sit did so in a seated area.

I have spoke to Neil Doncaster about this and he gave the impression that if it became legal again then some parts of Carrow Road would be turned into terracing again cause the club are far from being against having terracing but he claims the powers that be are very unlikely to change their stance. - Although the bring back terracing campaign refuses to go away and the word is that authorites are maybe thinking about it!

This issue will not go away certainly not in my lifetime which hopefully has another 50+ years to go yet, so please all in favour keep spreading the word and supporting campaigns to bring back limited home areas of terracing!