Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Iliev - NOT HAPPY WITH THE REPORTING!

This is more of a "not happy" thread - just to warn you.How is it that two reports - both from the same News company can have such opposing facts in them?!Here on the Pink''Un it says that Roeder has ruled out Iliev coming here completely due to complications with his work permit.A second article in tonights Evening News states that Roeder has told the paper that he is keen on Iliev although a deal for him would not happen in time for him to play at Burnley - talks will ensue after/over the weekend watch this space.It is not right to make two reports - one suggesting one thing another suggesting quite the opposite. One he is defenitely not signing, the other that talks are on going and its a matter of time. It is shoddy reporting essentially.What is worse is that it looks like the article on the Pink''Un front page is infact only using elements of the full report in the evening news which states that the deal wont be as quick due to the issues involving foreign players.It is not only important to do what a paper is meant to do - give the public true stories, but also because if the player was to read this report and take it he isn''t wanted there could be legal consequences etc.So Pink''Un how come there are these two very different reports both released on the same day but one with a completely different "ending"?

The story on the back of the Evening News would have been finished before 8.30am today; the one on the Pink ''Un site looks to me to have gone up about 10.30am.Roeder says in the EN story: "... we''ll sit down and discuss if we want to take it any further", but its not clear to me from if it means club staff deciding if they want him, or talks between himself/the club and Illiev/his agent. He doesn''t say he is definitely signing, although the suggestion from Roeder about Iliev not being able to play in time for the weekend suggests there is is a view to signing.He also says "signing an eastern European player is quite complicated".So then, presumably, cue events later this morning when they find problems signing him and the Pink ''Un story (which may be a reaction to the story which appeared on the official site, but it could be from a press conference everyone was at - but the sports desk would have the answer to that...). Maybe our weekend web person will be able to discover more.

ahhhh gone are the days of the multi additions of the EEN, i used to work in a newsagent, and we would get 4 or 5 different versions of the EEN  a day when it was printed on rouen rd, especially on transfer dead line day we would have totally different back pages, now its the same version from about lunchtime, and gone is the little column on the back with "newflash" i used to read them for norwich news when i did my paper round.

just dont mention the whole thing with waiting for the pinkun to turn up on a saturday evening, sometimes then would come in a 5.30 and we`ed shut and be home by 6 other weeks we would be waiting around till nearly 8 for the fitzmaurice courier to turn up to satisfy the queue of old blokes in trench coats waiting outside who couldnt wait till sunday morning

Chicken, I''ve just read the online Evening News report & it''s saying the same thing as the Pink''un. I wonder - are you reading the actual newspaper itself? If so, could you provide a few quotes for us here? Cheers.

reference the late news in the EEN and PINKUN. I used to tear off the unprinted peice of the late news,  roll it up and smoke it. The PINKUN was a treat at the weekend.

I''m afraid the era of multi-edition evenings is long gone and will never return.

The only provincials still doing multi editions that I can think of are the Express and Star, Wolverhampton, and (in somewhat reduced form) the Telegraph & Argus at Bradford.

When I had a spell on the Evening News, London (anyone remember the Evening News?) we did eight editions plus specials if there was anything huge.  You stood a good chance in those days of being knocked over by a flying Yellow van with the edition literally thrown at the hapless street vendor by the driver''s mate (open door on the left hand side to facilitate throwing).

The first edition was on the street by 7 a.m, the last usually about 5.45 p.m.

But then no 24 hour TV and no internet and no message boards either.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Chicken, I''ve just read the online Evening News report & it''s saying the same thing as the Pink''un. I wonder - are you reading the actual newspaper itself? If so, could you provide a few quotes for us here? Cheers.[/quote]From the paper:Valentin day has not come yet: GlennBulgarian international Valentin Iliev was today set to complete his week training with the Canaries – but has no chance of being involved in tomorrow’s Coca-Cola Championship match at Barnsley.Manager Glenn Roeder said reports that he had agreed to sign the 27-year-old defender were untrue. He said no decision had been made on whether the CSKA Sofia player would join City.Said Roeder: “He’s here for the week and then we’ll sit down and discuss if we want to take it any further. He’s done all right but he has no chance of playing at the weekend. As you can imagine, signing an Eastern European player is quite complicated.”Iliev is reported to have turned down a £200,000 move to City’s Championship rivals, Watford, 12 months ago, and has previously been linked with Blackburn. A member of Bulgaria’s unsuccessful Euro 2008 qualifying squad, with 11 full caps, he revealed earlier this week that England was his preferred destination.Roeder admits that he needs to strengthen his defence, his options limited with centre-back Jason Shackell doubtful for tomorrow’s trip to Oakwell because of a calf injury.“We haven’t got too many defenders at the club. We are very short and we are operating with two central defenders,” said Roeder.“Dion Dublin is a decent emergency central defender, but I certainly still see Dion having much more to offer as a striker.”Shackell missed the FA Cup game against Bury last Saturday after being injured in the New Year’s Day draw at Crystal Palace.“Jason is a big doubt. He had a kick on the calf and it bled quite badly,” said Roeder.City have two men suspended for the Barnsley game. Midfielder Matty Pattison is serving a one-match ban for picking up five yellow cards, and Michael Spillane completes a three match ban for his sending-off for City Reserves against Ipswich last month.David Cuffley

Ta for that Vince - but it''s getting seriously weird now! The only story I can find is by Michael Bailey - no sniff of any article by David Cuffley.

I''m very confused. Not for the first time , mind.

This is beggining to sound worse than I thought! So your saying that the original article (EN) was circulated at 8.30 Friday morning and the seccond article at 10.30am for the Pinkun?Right so article A is likely to have been produced Thursday? If so why bother printing it at all when there is knowingly going to be a reporter going in early on Friday which could contradict this information and thus produce two articles on the same topic conflicting with each other.Also - are you trying to tell me with the way that all of the permits etc work that they found out in less than 24 hrs if he would be successful or not? I should imagine that if anything they would have started that line of communication at the beggining of the week and would have had an idea by now, if not then they would not have found out in less than 24hrs!Its just not good journalism I am afraid. There is nothing in either article to give an indication of when it was reported/interviewed thus in some ways deceiving the public.Sure you have come forward now to inform us but why not put it in the doccumentation. I understand not having early/late issues etc but if you make a report on something stamp in a date the interview for the report was actually taken and a time scale of when it was submitted.In this case the first Story would have: Early Morning, Friday 11th at the top with a reference date to the actual interview, the seccond could then read Mid-Morning, Friday 11th etc.Part of reporting the truth is giving accurate time-scales.

So why on earth are other reports claiming that its dead in the water?

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]Midfielder Matty Pattison is serving a one-match ban for picking up five yellow cards

[/quote]

Next season, we should have a sweepstake on how many times we''ll see this sentence.

Wasn''t Valentin Iliev on trial at Watford recently? Also, weren''t Watford ever aware that he actually required the authority or work permit or whatever- to play Pro-football in the UK?.... I know he did turn them down, but I just think why did we Norwich, take him on trial when all the legal channels haven''t been pursued.....It may have turned out as embarrassing as the unfortunate player (also at Watford  and who''s name escapes me) who is to be deported if the campaign for him to remain, is unsuccessful.

Ignorance or Incompetence?