Sign in to follow this  
Wharf Canary

Season 1985-6

I''m a lifelong lurker thats registered to settle an office argument. The 2 other sides promted that year behind us were (I reckon) Charlton and Wimbledon. Portsmouth did not get promoted did they? 

Thanks Jas, i Google a bit a couldnt find anything. I knew I was right :) - Those tables make interesting reading. Play offs were from the following season IIRC.

Portsmouth led the league for quite a while at the start of the season, I seem to remember, but then bottled it. We beat them 2-0 at Carrow Road - was the first time I visited the hallowed ground. Happy days!

What a season that was!!!  As I remember, lost 3 of first 5 games, then went on a run, going top sometime in January with a 2-0 win over leaders Portsmouth and stayed there.

Am I correct in thinking that in the first year of the play-offs the team who were fourth from bottom in the top league (Division 1 as was), played the team who finished fourth in the 2nd division? 

When they started in 1987, the playoffs originally featured a top flight team as well as the three second tier clubs. This format was continued for 1988, but discontinued afterwards.

In 1987, Chalrton, who finished 19th in the top flight, beat Leeds, who finished 4th in the second-tier, in a playoff final replay.

In 1988, Chelsea, who finished 18th in the top flight, lost to Middlesbrough, who finished 3rd in the second tier.