Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Ipswich move for 'Tiny'

I have it on good knowledge that ipswich town have put in a bid which has thought to have been accepted by Karen Brady''s Birminghim City...

Apparently unlike us, town (on mr evans as the case is) has put up the required £1million needed to talk personal terms.. looks like glenn needs to make a decision sooner rather then later, and with this iliev bloke possibly coming in, it looks like he has already made the decision

i''ll guess we shall see how much taylor really wanted to come to us

[quote user="Philip Ellis"]

I have it on good knowledge that ipswich town have put in a bid which has thought to have been accepted by Karen Brady''s Birminghim City...

Apparently unlike us, town (on mr evans as the case is) has put up the required £1million needed to talk personal terms.. looks like glenn needs to make a decision sooner rather then later, and with this iliev bloke possibly coming in, it looks like he has already made the decision

[/quote]nah, can''t see it myself.if true though, shows how far we''re falling under this board.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Philip Ellis"]

[/quote]

nah, can''t see it myself.

if true though, shows how far we''re falling under this board.
[/quote]

it was roader who decided we would not bid over a certain amount the guy even said that in the paper

birmingham wanted us to comit to a long term loan deal and then sign him at the end of that from what i read

[quote user="Paul101"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Philip Ellis"]

[/quote]nah, can''t see it myself.if true though, shows how far we''re falling under this board.[/quote]

it was roader who decided we would not bid over a certain amount the guy even said that in the paper

birmingham wanted us to comit to a long term loan deal and then sign him at the end of that from what i read

[/quote]yeah, thats the same old blarny worthy used to come out with - so instead of paying over the odds for ashton in july 04 - we got the doc in to play up front!!!  given the choice, worthy would''ve signed deano, and roedy would have signed taylor - but it comes down to budget they''re given by the board, and so they prioritise where they can spend.  the board sets the budget though - and so roedy is more likely to say ''i''ve valued the player at...'' rather than ''i''ve not got enough money to spend.'' taylor = promotion winning form.  now that really is prem ambition.  they had another chance to prove it, and were found wanting.

Yes all this talk of how we have money to spend again but what have we spent so far a few pennies on Pattison , it costs nothing to be linked with good players . Taylor should have been signed the day the window opened  will be an absolute disgrace if he ends up down the road .

Lucky Green Trainers, you really don''t have a clue what your talking about, in July 04 I don''t think anybody was after Dean Ashton, it was his form between the start of the season and January that got him noticed by some clubs, and then our board took a gamble (and yes it was a gamble on a player who''d only done the business for 6 months) to sign him for a record breaking fee. And in case you haven''t noticed, we still haven''t lost a game since Taylor left, and we''ve played harder games, our problem is scoring goals at the moment. The Doc is playing superb at the moment, and we will have to see how this Bulgarian defender is, Clearly the board could afford to buy Taylor (considering we''ve spent 400k or more on pattison, and 700k on this Illiev guy) but it was GR who chose not to because Birmingham were asking for over the odds in his opinion, and GR has made it public Knowledge that the board have supported him 100% and that it was his choice, so get your facts right before you start all that cr*p again about the board having no ambition, if we sign this defender then we''ve spent 1.1m on players so far, and its not even half way through january yet, now that is ambition for a championship club that doesn''t have much money, and yes i know we sold Joe Lewis for 400k, but its good to see the board giving that money straight to GR to strengthen the squad. The board we have at Norwich is quality, our club has never been in financial risk since they''ve took over (unlike nearly every other club in our league) and we''re always nearly at the top of the spending list (apart from the sides relegated from prem), now I call that good management, I don''t understand why these "fans" want us to spend tons of money which we don''t have, and then risk going bankrupt, go support Leeds if you like clubs showing "ambition" and spending loads of money they don''t have.

Yes we certainly have been outshone by the binners and the millions they have already spent.  How much did they supposedly have..... £12m wasn''t it ?"I say you chaps is that another bonus for dear old Sheepy, bring on another trialist, what ? "

[quote user="The Drop"]Yes all this talk of how we have money to spend again but what have we spent so far a few pennies on Pattison , it costs nothing to be linked with good players . Taylor should have been signed the day the window opened (it) will be an absolute disgrace if he ends up down the road .[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Paul101"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Philip Ellis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, thats the same old blarny worthy used to come out with - so instead of paying over the odds for ashton in july 04 - we got the doc in to play up front!!!  given the choice, worthy would''ve signed deano, and roedy would have signed taylor - but it comes down to budget they''re given by the board, and so they prioritise where they can spend.  the board sets the budget though - and so roedy is more likely to say ''i''ve valued the player at...'' rather than ''i''ve not got enough money to spend.''

taylor = promotion winning form.  now that really is prem ambition.  they had another chance to prove it, and were found wanting.
[/quote]

There''s a lot of truth and good sense in what you have written here, LGT.

It''s a very sad situation. This board have an awful lot to answer for.

OTBC

Todays come and get him plea from the Birmingham chairman is a good sign.  We can step in now with a marginally improved bid and blag our man.  Will be furious if he ends up at Portman Road.

All the power is in Tiny''s hands. If he does not want to go to Ipswich or QPR Brum will have to accept our bid.

However although i think we are his preffered option (other than a midlands team) i do believe we shall have to mach the wage offered by the other clubs.

A friend of mine is a electrician who does odd jobs at Ipswich''s training ground on Playford road, he claims he saw Taylor along with Derick Bowden (one of the Town board ) and another chap who presumably was his agent? [:(]

He''s a Colchester fan so doubt he''d make it up..

[quote user="paul"]

[/quote]

and im a norwich fan and I just saw Ronaldinho walking through Exeter City center with their chairman....

Im a Norwich fan so i doubt id make it up....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="paul"]

[/quote]

and im a norwich fan and I just saw Ronaldinho walking through Exeter City center with their chairman....

Im a Norwich fan so i doubt id make it up....

jas :)

[/quote]

LMAO

[quote user="paul"]

A friend of mine is a electrician who does odd jobs at Ipswich''s training ground on Playford road, he claims he saw Taylor along with Derick Bowden (one of the Town board ) and another chap who presumably was his agent? [:(]

[/quote]

(((((((((((((((BINNER ALERT))))))))))))))))))  ((((((((((((((((((((BINNER ALERT)))))))))))))))))))))

[quote user="ellis206"]Lucky Green Trainers, you really don''t have a clue what your talking about, in July 04 I don''t think anybody was after Dean Ashton, it was his form between the start of the season and January that got him noticed by some clubs, and then our board took a gamble (and yes it was a gamble on a player who''d only done the business for 6 months) to sign him for a record breaking fee. And in case you haven''t noticed, we still haven''t lost a game since Taylor left, and we''ve played harder games, our problem is scoring goals at the moment. The Doc is playing superb at the moment, and we will have to see how this Bulgarian defender is, Clearly the board could afford to buy Taylor (considering we''ve spent 400k or more on pattison, and 700k on this Illiev guy) but it was GR who chose not to because Birmingham were asking for over the odds in his opinion, and GR has made it public Knowledge that the board have supported him 100% and that it was his choice, so get your facts right before you start all that cr*p again about the board having no ambition, if we sign this defender then we''ve spent 1.1m on players so far, and its not even half way through january yet, now that is ambition for a championship club that doesn''t have much money, and yes i know we sold Joe Lewis for 400k, but its good to see the board giving that money straight to GR to strengthen the squad. The board we have at Norwich is quality, our club has never been in financial risk since they''ve took over (unlike nearly every other club in our league) and we''re always nearly at the top of the spending list (apart from the sides relegated from prem), now I call that good management, I don''t understand why these "fans" want us to spend tons of money which we don''t have, and then risk going bankrupt, go support Leeds if you like clubs showing "ambition" and spending loads of money they don''t have. [/quote]best u get your facts straight - worthy was interested in deano before start of prem season - but ''wouldn''t pay silly money'' - instead we looked fudging silly signing the doc and playing the poor bloke up front, it was only watling dying and giving us the dosh that presuaded our prudent boatd to splash the money on deano, and by then it was too little, just too late unfortunately to escape relegation.  you''re the type of fan more in love with the board than the true interest of NCFC - and are happy to accept mediocrity over genuine prem ambition.  their negligence has seen us flirt with relegation, and far from being safe, we face a real battle to ensure we climb outa the mess of their making - luckily roeder knows a goodun from a plum - and i hope he''s right about iliev - but re the defence, of course we''re tight, but i assume you haven''t noticed we''re not keeping clean sheets since taylor left, and of its as clear as day that we need a big striker up front - to convert some of the good chances we are making - all down to roedy and his coaching staff.  my point is that for me taylor is genuine top 6, if not 3 defender in this league, and is proven at this level.  malky, until shamefully ditched, knew also how to get clubs up outa this league - and taylor has the same presence, the boy is a defensive rock, and importantly is a leader and inspiration - have you noticed how cr@p shacks has looked since he left???  taylor presented this club with a real opportunity - to keep us up, and next season have a go at promotion - and they turned away from it.  imo they''ve already borken up a team fit to genunely challenge for top honours.  if you can live with that, then great, and if you can''t see it, you too far up them to have a clue.me, i''ll continue to speak with the best interest of NCFC at heart, just as i''m entitled to.

[quote user="ellis206"]Lucky Green Trainers, you really don''t have a clue what your talking about, in July 04 I don''t think anybody was after Dean Ashton, it was his form between the start of the season and January that got him noticed by some clubs, and then our board took a gamble (and yes it was a gamble on a player who''d only done the business for 6 months)
[/quote]

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Ashton&f=&u=&PageIndex=767

And what negligence is this then?? can you remind me of a time when the board have refused to give any of our managers money for a player?? Remember the whole Huckerby saga, when the board said that we couldn''t afford him, and then we signed Svensson and Leon McKenzie, which came to about 800k, and then they splashed out on Huckerby, its all mind games. If Martin Taylor doesn`t come to Norwich, then it will be no fault of our board, as they have clearly supported GR with funds, and as GR said himself, it was him who chose not to purchase him at the price they were asking, so no i''m not more in love with the board than NCFC, i''m just fed up with fans coming on here and slating the board for everything that happens at the club, even though GR has told everyone that the board have fully supported him, people still blame the board for Martin Taylor not being here. Question to you, if Norwich did sign Martin Taylor, would you then congratulate the board and the management for a job well done?? or would you just move on to criticise them on something else?And you said you''ll continue to speak with the best interest of NCFC at heart, well tell me what the best interest of Norwich is at the moment?? sack the board I assume? well if this board ever left us, I can gurantee this club will just fall and fall, but I suppose that''s what all you board bashers want!

[quote user="ellis206"]well if this board ever left us, I can gurantee this club will just fall and fall[/quote]

But, erm, that''s exactly what''s been happening over the last few years.

I am not a board hater as some on here quite clearly are BUT if Martin Taylor went to Thicksh*t Town for the sake of £250k I would be severely annoyed. Petty and pathetic. Losing him to anyone would be annoying but to the scum would be unforgiveable.

[quote user="ellis206"]And what negligence is this then?? can you remind me of a time when the board have refused to give any of our managers money for a player?? Remember the whole Huckerby saga, when the board said that we couldn''t afford him, and then we signed Svensson and Leon McKenzie, which came to about 800k, and then they splashed out on Huckerby, its all mind games. If Martin Taylor doesn`t come to Norwich, then it will be no fault of our board, as they have clearly supported GR with funds, and as GR said himself, it was him who chose not to purchase him at the price they were asking, so no i''m not more in love with the board than NCFC, i''m just fed up with fans coming on here and slating the board for everything that happens at the club, even though GR has told everyone that the board have fully supported him, people still blame the board for Martin Taylor not being here. Question to you, if Norwich did sign Martin Taylor, would you then congratulate the board and the management for a job well done?? or would you just move on to criticise them on something else?And you said you''ll continue to speak with the best interest of NCFC at heart, well tell me what the best interest of Norwich is at the moment?? sack the board I assume? well if this board ever left us, I can gurantee this club will just fall and fall, but I suppose that''s what all you board bashers want! [/quote]every manager of city in recent years has complained of a small squad.  we''re oft linked with players - that never come.  we''re told no transfer business is done early pre-season cos everyone is on holiday - and then as the window begins to close, everybody is too expensive.  funny that doesn''t stop other clubs making signings.  its a perenial problem for NCFC - we make insufficient funds available for summer spend, and then panic into making loan signings mid-season.  we did it the year we went up - most of our business was done in the autumn and jan window.  sure, we made some signings for the prem, but shied away from getting a top front man in - result we drew loads and didn''t win for 10 (?) games or so.  imagine crouch or deano at the start of our prem campaign??? when we went down, we had a thin squad, bolstered by poor quality signings - and so had to plunge into the loan market again in the autumn.  the season worthy went, he was allowed to sign 1 player, crofty.  grant again observed we had a small squad, and despite always trying to add to it, released more than he took on.  he got into trouble - sacked - more emergency loans done by duffy - and now roeder.  beginning to get the picture???  the real shocker, was allowing grant to sniff out bargains in the scottish leagues, similar to how hamilton raided the continent.  in both cases, the players they signed were patently not good enough, and they both went as city flirted with the bottom 3.  to make a mistake is careless, to repeat it is negligence imo.  i''m deeply unhappy with the state of english football, and the fantasy economics played out in it, but speculative investment is the name of the game, and unless we join in and play by these rules, we risk becoming uncompetitive, marginalised and league 1 bound - with leeds.  and yes, i do praise the board where its due - at 4.50pm today actually - see the chris brown sold for £400k thread!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Paul101"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Philip Ellis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, thats the same old blarny worthy used to come out with - so instead of paying over the odds for ashton in july 04 - we got the doc in to play up front!!!  given the choice, worthy would''ve signed deano, and roedy would have signed taylor - but it comes down to budget they''re given by the board, and so they prioritise where they can spend.  the board sets the budget though - and so roedy is more likely to say ''i''ve valued the player at...'' rather than ''i''ve not got enough money to spend.''

taylor = promotion winning form.  now that really is prem ambition.  they had another chance to prove it, and were found wanting.
[/quote]

Spot on LGT... [Y]

Yet again we are likely to be found wanting... tut, tut, tut!!! [:$]

[quote user="ellis206"]Lucky Green Trainers, you really don''t have a clue what your talking about, in July 04 I don''t think anybody was after Dean Ashton, it was his form between the start of the season and January that got him noticed by some clubs, and then our board took a gamble (and yes it was a gamble on a player who''d only done the business for 6 months) to sign him for a record breaking fee. And in case you haven''t noticed, we still haven''t lost a game since Taylor left, and we''ve played harder games, our problem is scoring goals at the moment. The Doc is playing superb at the moment, and we will have to see how this Bulgarian defender is, Clearly the board could afford to buy Taylor (considering we''ve spent 400k or more on pattison, and 700k on this Illiev guy) but it was GR who chose not to because Birmingham were asking for over the odds in his opinion, and GR has made it public Knowledge that the board have supported him 100% and that it was his choice, so get your facts right before you start all that cr*p again about the board having no ambition, if we sign this defender then we''ve spent 1.1m on players so far, and its not even half way through january yet, now that is ambition for a championship club that doesn''t have much money, and yes i know we sold Joe Lewis for 400k, but its good to see the board giving that money straight to GR to strengthen the squad.
The board we have at Norwich is quality, our club has never been in financial risk since they''ve took over (unlike nearly every other club in our league) and we''re always nearly at the top of the spending list (apart from the sides relegated from prem), now I call that good management, I don''t understand why these "fans" want us to spend tons of money which we don''t have, and then risk going bankrupt, go support Leeds if you like clubs showing "ambition" and spending loads of money they don''t have.
[/quote]

What a load of clap trap...

Those in the know had been taliking about Aston for a good year or two prior to us signing him.

If we had gone in for him during the summer of 2004 then we would more than likely of knocked £1million off the price that we finally landed him for also.

Yet again though the City board were found wanting.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="ellis206"]And what negligence is this then?? can you remind me of a time when the board have refused to give any of our managers money for a player?? Remember the whole Huckerby saga, when the board said that we couldn''t afford him, and then we signed Svensson and Leon McKenzie, which came to about 800k, and then they splashed out on Huckerby, its all mind games. If Martin Taylor doesn`t come to Norwich, then it will be no fault of our board, as they have clearly supported GR with funds, and as GR said himself, it was him who chose not to purchase him at the price they were asking, so no i''m not more in love with the board than NCFC, i''m just fed up with fans coming on here and slating the board for everything that happens at the club, even though GR has told everyone that the board have fully supported him, people still blame the board for Martin Taylor not being here.
Question to you, if Norwich did sign Martin Taylor, would you then congratulate the board and the management for a job well done?? or would you just move on to criticise them on something else?
And you said you''ll continue to speak with the best interest of NCFC at heart, well tell me what the best interest of Norwich is at the moment?? sack the board I assume? well if this board ever left us, I can gurantee this club will just fall and fall, but I suppose that''s what all you board bashers want!
[/quote]

every manager of city in recent years has complained of a small squad.  we''re oft linked with players - that never come.  we''re told no transfer business is done early pre-season cos everyone is on holiday - and then as the window begins to close, everybody is too expensive.  funny that doesn''t stop other clubs making signings.  its a perenial problem for NCFC - we make insufficient funds available for summer spend, and then panic into making loan signings mid-season.  we did it the year we went up - most of our business was done in the autumn and jan window.  sure, we made some signings for the prem, but shied away from getting a top front man in - result we drew loads and didn''t win for 10 (?) games or so.  imagine crouch or deano at the start of our prem campaign??? when we went down, we had a thin squad, bolstered by poor quality signings - and so had to plunge into the loan market again in the autumn.  the season worthy went, he was allowed to sign 1 player, crofty.  grant again observed we had a small squad, and despite always trying to add to it, released more than he took on.  he got into trouble - sacked - more emergency loans done by duffy - and now roeder.  beginning to get the picture??? 

the real shocker, was allowing grant to sniff out bargains in the scottish leagues, similar to how hamilton raided the continent.  in both cases, the players they signed were patently not good enough, and they both went as city flirted with the bottom 3.  to make a mistake is careless, to repeat it is negligence imo. 

i''m deeply unhappy with the state of english football, and the fantasy economics played out in it, but speculative investment is the name of the game, and unless we join in and play by these rules, we risk becoming uncompetitive, marginalised and league 1 bound - with leeds. 

and yes, i do praise the board where its due - at 4.50pm today actually - see the chris brown sold for £400k thread!!!
[/quote]

So much truth in every word you say on this thread LGT... some fantastic posts.

As for Ellis well the guy just simply does not have a clue does he???

[quote user="ellis206"]Lucky Green Trainers, you really don''t have a clue what your talking about, in July 04 I don''t think anybody was after Dean Ashton, it was his form between the start of the season and January that got him noticed by some clubs, and then our board took a gamble (and yes it was a gamble on a player who''d only done the business for 6 months) to sign him for a record breaking fee. And in case you haven''t noticed, we still haven''t lost a game since Taylor left, and we''ve played harder games, our problem is scoring goals at the moment. The Doc is playing superb at the moment, and we will have to see how this Bulgarian defender is, Clearly the board could afford to buy Taylor (considering we''ve spent 400k or more on pattison, and 700k on this Illiev guy) but it was GR who chose not to because Birmingham were asking for over the odds in his opinion, and GR has made it public Knowledge that the board have supported him 100% and that it was his choice, so get your facts right before you start all that cr*p again about the board having no ambition, if we sign this defender then we''ve spent 1.1m on players so far, and its not even half way through january yet, now that is ambition for a championship club that doesn''t have much money, and yes i know we sold Joe Lewis for 400k, but its good to see the board giving that money straight to GR to strengthen the squad.
The board we have at Norwich is quality, our club has never been in financial risk since they''ve took over (unlike nearly every other club in our league) and we''re always nearly at the top of the spending list (apart from the sides relegated from prem), now I call that good management, I don''t understand why these "fans" want us to spend tons of money which we don''t have, and then risk going bankrupt, go support Leeds if you like clubs showing "ambition" and spending loads of money they don''t have.
[/quote]

Ellis, that is a bloody good post, one of the best i''ve seen on here recently and agreed all the way through it [Y]

I really think we are going to get Tiny. GR knows what hes doing, hes not going to pay over the odds for a player, and for that you cant blame him. Seems the boy wants to come here and dont want to go anywhere else, you got to give tiny credit for sticking to his guns on that one.

Ok and I agree with just about everything you said on this post, but I disagree with you saying that we make insufficient funds available for summer spend, this year did we not have a bid accepted for 2 million for Billy Sharpe? and didn''t we put in a substantial bid for Freddy Eastwood as well? It was no fault of the manager or the board that neither of these players decided to join us, it was the players decision. And we all know that the funds were just not there to buy Dean Ashton or Peter Crouch at the start of the premiership season, it''s like you don''t walk into tescos, get a massive trolley full of items, and then go to the checkout without having money on you! all this stuff you have come out with doesn''t show negligence on the boards behalf, it shows negligence on the managers behalf, look at the state this club is in now compared to 10 years ago, look how much nicer the stadium is and surrounding areas etc etc, ok our team is under performing at the moment but I honestly believe GR will change this, and the board have given him money to spend and I think he will use it wisely, unlike PG who just wasted it. And this bit.......  "the real shocker, was allowing grant to sniff out bargains in the

scottish leagues, similar to how hamilton raided the continent.  in

both cases, the players they signed were patently not good enough, and

they both went as city flirted with the bottom 3.  to make a mistake is

careless, to repeat it is negligence imo"
  are you basically saying that you don''t want the board to support our managers? So if the board had took a stand and told Peter Grant he wasn''t allowed to buy any of the players he wanted to, would you have been pleased? or would you have said it was the board keeping there money in the pocket and not showing any ambition?? Basically whatever the board do, they can''t win, they will always have people moaning at how they run things. And yes, it was a great bit of business to actually receive money for Chris Brown :)