Sign in to follow this  
Delias Buns

Canary Call this evening - Play-off's possible?

Most of the callers/texts that came in suggested that the fans thought we could do a "Palace" and still reach the play offs this season.

So I raise the question:

Can we?

No, but you never know, look at Palarse, they have done it. If we are to get there, or even near, then we have to spalsh the cash and get a CF, Taylor and others.

it seems palace are doing a ''palace'' again this season.  anything is possible, but no way with such a small squad.......unless extra and quality bodies arrive.  would settle for a good platform this season to launch a challenge for next - but again good men are needed, make no mistake - roedy knows it, the fans should know and the board??? we''ll see.  i hope he''s properly backed.

I think we''l end up mid table, but if you look at our remaining fixtures we only have 5/19 games left against teams in the top 6, and 2/10 home games.

We would need at least 70 points to be challenging, and i dont think itl happen, but hey, with the right signings you never know.

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

People on Canary Call always say we''ll reach the Play-off''s everytime we win a game. If we can just keep relegation at bay that''ll do me fine this season.

[/quote]Exactly.(And when Norwich lose)Hello, Canary Call."Hi there - I just want to say it''s disgusting how Norwich are playing.  No pride, no passion, what''s the manager doing?  It''s disgraceful.  I''ve been a season ticket holder for eight hundred years and this is the worst team I ever did see."

It would be possible if we were to buy well ie a good Centre Half and decent Striker and some cover at right back.

We would also need to be very lucky on the injury front. If you think all of those things can happen then yes we have a chance.

Unlikely - in recent seasons the 6th placed side has needed around 73 to 75 points. We can only get a maximum of 88 so in the remaining games lets say we could afford to lose no more than 3 and draw another 2.  There are of course loads of combinations and anything is possible and we are tonight closer than we have been to 6th place (minus 10 points) since Roeder took over, but on balance and being realistic I think this season now looks more likely to end in mid table than anything else.

I think getting into the top half is realistic for us at the moment, but if we get some players in and keep the form going then theres no reason why we couldnt actually sneak in, but there will be a dip somewhere im sure and we cant affords one.

Play offs are generally 75, but currently 6th place Palace are on course for 70 points, (after a quick calculation), so therefore we''d perhaps need say 71 tio get in the play offs. (especially considering our goal difference i reckon).

We have 31, so would need another 40 fdrom 19 games which is going some. We are currently on course for 53, but that does include the grant factor! So 40 points from 19 games, 2.11 a game!!

12 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats would perhaps then be enough, but that looks a step too far!

23 points from 14 under Roeder, 1.64 a game, 76 points, play off form!

22 from 11 since the Plymouth reshuffle!, 2 points a game, 92 points, title winning from!

My Verdict: 9th - 12th

[quote user="Polar1990"]possible, but wed get murdered in the prem. i say mid table this, challenge next.
[/quote]

we seem to say that every year, make the challenge next year.

i dont believe we are going to make the playoffs, the highest we will get in my opinion is 10th. but if their is any chance of us getting to the playoffs we need to buy at least 2 defenders, a midfielder and a striker to have a big enough squad depth after the recent terminated contracts...

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[quote user="Polar1990"]possible, but wed get murdered in the prem. i say mid table this, challenge next.
[/quote]

we seem to say that every year, make the challenge next year.

i dont believe we are going to make the playoffs, the highest we will get in my opinion is 10th. but if their is any chance of us getting to the playoffs we need to buy at least 2 defenders, a midfielder and a striker to have a big enough squad depth after the recent terminated contracts...

[/quote]

I''m afraid I agree. Until we get a big cash investment we are going to be stuck in this league, maybe even relegation. I doubt it though.

Survival is still the priority in my opinion.......When we are safe, we can think about next season......(That''s if Glenn hasn''t taken the Newcastle job!) [;)]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]it seems palace are doing a ''palace'' again this season.  anything is possible, but no way with such a small squad.......unless extra and quality bodies arrive.  would settle for a good platform this season to launch a challenge for next - but again good men are needed, make no mistake - roedy knows it, the fans should know and the board??? we''ll see.  i hope he''s properly backed.[/quote]Do you seriously think the board will scupper any serious proposal to make money (Prem = Money). Do you really think they would huddle together and say " Frack this, Reders spotted a real winner that might well take us up and make us all rich and respected - lets say no....."Norwich City Football club is a business. Ends must meet. Thats a fact of life. Much as we''d all love it to be like Championship Manager - it isn''t. This is life. Jobs. Finances. Responsibilites.Hopes and dreams cost money - serious money. Wealthy people dont get wealthy by throwing it away. Look up the word prudence......
  1. The state, quality, or fact of being prudent.
  2. Careful management; economy.

SYNONYMS  prudence, discretion, foresight, forethought, circumspection.

These nouns refer to the exercise of good judgment, common sense, and

even caution, especially in the conduct of practical matters. Prudence is the most comprehensive: “She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older” (Jane Austen). Discretion suggests wise self-restraint, as in resisting a rash impulse: “The better part of valor is discretion” (Shakespeare). Foresight implies the ability to foresee and make provision for what may happen: She had the foresight to make backups of her computer files. Forethought suggests advance consideration of future eventualities: The empty refrigerator indicated a lack of forethought. Circumspection implies discretion, as out of concern for moral or social repercussions: “The necessity of the times, more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection” (Samuel Adams).

ITS LIFE !!!!!

Yes lets wait till we get in the top half than look at things then , I am not saying we will get to the Play offs .I will say however we certainly have improved under Glen.[Y] arrdee.

[quote user="sydneysider"]We''re now 7 points from 8th place and 5 from 13th, I think we''ll end up tween those places. I''d rather have promotion next season[/quote]

I agree! Promotion...(as if!) would be a poison chalice for us until we have strengthened the squad considerably. I would be content with a finish just outside the play-offs, with perhaps a bit of a cup run...i.e. getting past Southampton...getting another home draw against Championship or lower opposition...then a closely fought game away to one of the top six premiership sides.

as an outsider i must agree with most your comments on you finishing around 8th-13th position really.

you need promotion form realistically to get into the playoffs you maybe 9pts of them but theres about 12teams ahead of you.

for example you win next 3 games im sure 3 or 4 of those teams will pick up 6pts so theoritically you are gaining 3pts on that 6th place team

but take it step by step and look midtable safety first

next year would be a bigger chance in my opinion and norwich should really have 6month start on others and start to plan for an assualt now. by signing players ready for the assualt and not just stop ins for 3-4month period

I really do doubt that we will make the playoffs, but if (and it is a huge if) we were to continue on our current run we would come reasonably close.  To a great extent it is hugely refreshing that we are even contemplating the remotest possibility of such things, considering where we were going into the mid-November international break, which was just 2 months ago (and 11 games) almost to the day.  At that time, almost everyone on here (me and a few others apart) had us as nailed on certainties for relegation.  Of course, a downturn in fortunes is still possible, but right now we do have some grounds for optimism, surely.

But to all those who consider the play-off places impossible to reach because of the gap, perhaps we should look at what has already happened to one side this season.  After the Plymouth game left us 5 pts adrift at the foot of the table after 16 (pretty pisspoor) games, the side that was second bottom, and those 5pts ahead, was Crystal Palace.  At the time they were 11pts off the binners in 6th.  If you look at the league table right now they stand in 6th place, 1pt ahead of the binners: they more than made up the gap in just 11 games.  As we are currently 10 pts behind them, with 19 games left, it is certainly possible to make the gap up.

It is surely part and parcel of being a football supporter to be optimistic and dream of such a run-in that would take us there....I doubt very much that we will, but it would be fantastic in the extreme if it did.  For me, somewhere c10th-12th would do fine right now!

Not being funny but everybody has got to remember what Roeder took on!!!

Also we drew against Wolves, Charlton & Palace... Games we could have one.

I think Roeder will have a championship winning side by Feb 1st.

Lets get behind him and hope the board do to!

THe only way is up. After todays performance why are people still so negative.

Oh yeah mybe next season.

F**k next season I want it now!!!!!

Mathematically yes we can, but realistically probably no but while its still possible then go for it!

But we are still nearer the drop zone so we could still go the other way!

Thats one of the great things about this league - until fairly late on in the season a team in our position can still possibly be playing in either the Premiership, the Championshiop  or league 1 next season!

We have a very small squad. We need Martin Taylor, a big targetman up front and another central midfielder brought in this month if we are to keep this good run going cause sooner or later their will be injuries and suspensions!

Best Canary call I''ve heard for a while was the other week when some old boy saying our loan players wern''t no good!!!! - He obviously don''t go to reserve games then!

no....

too many teams above us would need to slip up.. or encounter worse form than us.. which wont happen...

Also, we''d do worse then Derby in the premiership!

The sooner we get to 50 points and safety the better... that should be our target for the season...

jas :)

[quote user="ricky knight"]playoffs, you Percy''s, bless your hearts.[/quote]

What Palace have just achieved makes me realise it''s possible. Thing is palace have time to drop out again. The ideal time to arrive in the top 6 is Sunday May 4th. We have only lost once since Nov 10th so it''s possible Ricky, even if unlikely.

Is it not ambitious to aim for the play offs and dream? Even if its more prudent to settle for 20th and build for next season.

So is it ambition or prudence for you Nancy''s?

Bless your cotton socks.

Have a good week ''til next week [;)]

Such a tight division anything could happen - a decent run could put us in with a shout - then again if we now lost 3 on the trot...........

On relegation - all the lowly clubs can pick up points - no one is safe - not even Wolves

Remember 81-2 - lower mid table at the turn of the year, then I think it was 8 wins in 9 to get promotion - but we signed Deehan & O''Neill - who is available who could do that for us now?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]playoffs, you Percy''s, bless your hearts.[/quote]

What Palace have just achieved makes me realise it''s possible. Thing is palace have time to drop out again. The ideal time to arrive in the top 6 is Sunday May 4th. We have only lost once since Nov 10th so it''s possible Ricky, even if unlikely.

Is it not ambitious to aim for the play offs and dream? Even if its more prudent to settle for 20th and build for next season.

So is it ambition or prudence for you Nancy''s?

Bless your cotton socks.

Have a good week ''til next week [;)]

[/quote]

Sorry nutty, but I''m gonna have to disagree with you. Whilst it would be fantastic to make the play-offs at the end of the season, even better if the scummers don''t, just think what happened to Palace the season after they got promoted with us. They got relegated with us. It was too soon for them, as I think it would be too soon for us. Give it another year or two then yes, I believe that Roeder will have more things in place.

Don''t get me wrong, I like to dream nutty - but that''s a dream too far at the moment for me!