Sign in to follow this  
we8wba

NORWICH AND PLAYOFFS and the league in general

With talk of Norwich and playoffs i will say personally i dont think you will get in but its certainly not impossible

as for top 6 you would say the following would be in

wba, watford, charlton, bristolc currently look like they will get in.

so currently there are 2spots up for grabs, maybe 3 if one of those drops like cardiff last year

i personally think plymouth will now slip with out s.e.b and halmosi and norris maybe leaving

ipswich cant get in with their dreadful away run

hull wont stay up their

teams i expect to be around 6th stoke, palace, wolves, cardiff, sheffutd,

possible brackett of norwich, qpr, leicester

i would say norwich need to pull clear of 22nd then chasing 6th first, but i expect you to come around 12th and then look for next season to push for the playoffs

so what do you guys think? prob not same as me but like to hear the views

[quote user="we8wba"]

With talk of Norwich and playoffs i will say personally i dont think you will get in but its certainly not impossible

as for top 6 you would say the following would be in

wba, watford, charlton, bristolc currently look like they will get in.

so currently there are 2spots up for grabs, maybe 3 if one of those drops like cardiff last year

i personally think plymouth will now slip with out s.e.b and halmosi and norris maybe leaving

ipswich cant get in with their dreadful away run

hull wont stay up their

teams i expect to be around 6th stoke, palace, wolves, cardiff, sheffutd,

possible brackett of norwich, qpr, leicester

i would say norwich need to pull clear of 22nd then chasing 6th first, but i expect you to come around 12th and then look for next season to push for the playoffs

so what do you guys think? prob not same as me but like to hear the views

[/quote]

To be honest, I think this is a pretty fair assessment of the situation apart from (much as it pains me to say it) I can''t see Ipsh*t going much longer with that dreadful away run. Other than that, I think you''re pretty much spot on.  

Agreed. I think Grant dug us too big of a hole to think about this year.  I see us as possibly a Reading who could possibly dominate next year, but if we were to pull a crazy Palace run this year, I don''t see us winning 4 games next year in the Premiership without a 15 mil. investment (which won''t happen).

It''s not to late yet theres still enough time to folow palace up the table.

If I were GR I would use this window and the summer to build next seasons promotion pushing team. We have left it far too late this season and a high but mid table finish is more likely as we are not the only team now hitting form and i  would at some point expect a short poor run before the season ends.

We8wba,

I think the one team you missed who are a cert for the top 6 is Stoke.

They will bully their way in......so that leaves 1 place up for grabs..and if Palace keep up their form they''re in.

As for the other possibles, well they are just that...but Wolves..???? don''t make me laugh, you need to look over your shoulder at the other end of the table my ''friend''

I live within 20 miles of Yam Yam land (The black country for my Norfolk brothers!),

I read yhe Express & Star, I know that you are in the S**te & your fan base knows it as well!!

I don''t think we have left it too late we are 18th and 10pts from 6th  with 19 games left, which means that there is 57pts up for grabs. 

Glenn Roeder want''s to bring three or four new players in this month which is good for us.

Some teams can not afford to bring new players in for money  reasons. 

Up the City down the Town    

Indeed, the Championship is a very exciting league. Perhaps you should enhance your enjoyment of the league by listening to the Championship podcast on www.footballfancast.com !!!

Lol, shameless self promotion and I don''t care.

vvvvvvvv  Direct link to the show in my signature  vvvvvvvv

stolen from a WOTB post: http://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk/interactive/board/The points for teams in 6th place over the last few seasons were:

2006/7- 75 pts

2005/6- 75 pts

2004/5- 73 pts

2003/4- 73 pts

2002/3- 74 pts

2001/2- 75 pts

2000/1- 74 pts

1999/0- 76 ptsaking 73 points as the lowest target means we would need 42 points out

of a possible 57. To do that would mean winning 13 games with 3 wins

and 3 losses, or winning 12 matches and having to draw 6 and lose 1,

both scenarios seem a little too much to ask.

Points drop off in 7th and 8th places, so I reckon we will get about 66pts and be a place or two from the play offs
IMO This season does seem a lot closer than most however.

I think we''ll see 6th place finishing with lower than any of them CJF, possibly 69/70 or slightly lower.

I can''t remember the second tier being so congested and competitive before. It may be a bit of a cliche but in this division this season, any one really can beat anyone on their day. Preston beat 3rd placed Watford yesterday, Col U went to 2nd placed Bristol City and got a point etc

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]stolen from a WOTB post: http://www.wrathofthebarclay.co.uk/interactive/board/

The points for teams in 6th place over the last few seasons were:
2006/7- 75 pts
2005/6- 75 pts
2004/5- 73 pts
2003/4- 73 pts
2002/3- 74 pts
2001/2- 75 pts
2000/1- 74 pts
1999/0- 76 pts

aking 73 points as the lowest target means we would need 42 points out of a possible 57. To do that would mean winning 13 games with 3 wins and 3 losses, or winning 12 matches and having to draw 6 and lose 1, both scenarios seem a little too much to ask.
Points drop off in 7th and 8th places, so I reckon we will get about 66pts and be a place or two from the play offs

IMO This season does seem a lot closer than most however.
[/quote]

The points for teams in 6th place over the last few seasons were:
2006/7- 75 pts    
After 27 games the top 6 had 281 points and the bottom 3 had 71 points
2005/6- 75 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 305 points and the bottom 3 had 68 points
2004/5- 73 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 289 points and the bottom 3 had 65 points
2003/4- 73 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 284 points and the bottom 3 had 68 points
2002/3- 74 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 295 points and the bottom 3 had 66 points
2001/2- 75 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 293 points and the bottom 3 had 61 points
2000/1- 74 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 322 points and the bottom 3 had 76 points
1999/0- 76 pts     After 27 games the top 6 had 303 points and the bottom 3 had 66 points

You are right to point out that this season is a lot closer CJF. This season after 27 games the top 6 only have 272 points and the bottom 3 have 80 points. So I would suggest the usual assumption that 50 points will be safe and 75 points are required for play offs would be dangerous to make. I am guessing 53/5 points to be safe and 69/71 points for play offs.

wit norwich 6pts behind my wolves

norwich gaining close to 2pts per game currently

wolves are 1pt per game

on average you should catch us up in round 5games time, this is just rough estimate

if this case this will be around mid feb and thats just catching a falling side above you not a consistant side in say stoke

so for norwich to get in will be a BIG ASK

good luck but you need automatic form as mentioned above to stand a chance

I really don''t think anyone at City will even be considering getting close to 6th place.  Avoiding relegation is the key target now for this season and we should not be taking our eye off the bottom 3, 4 points is not a huge cushion.  Personally I would consider Roeder to have done an excellent job if we are safe from relegation with 4 or 5 games left to play.

Forget 6th that is not something we should not be interested in right now, however it would be nice to maintain the kind of form we are in right now all the way to end of the season.  Our points average has been promotion material and it would be great to take that into next season, then we can look a bit higher maybe. 

Automatic Promotion: WBA, Watford

Playoffs (from): Bristol City, Charlton, Stoke, Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Southampton, Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Cardiff

Relegation (from): Scunthorpe, Colchester, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool, QPR

All of the other teams in the leagie that i haven''t mentioned will be around mid table

Why keep looking back at the bottom three there is a long way to go and we CAN catch the guy''s at the top.

[quote user="sam"]

Automatic Promotion: WBA, Watford

Playoffs (from): Bristol City, Charlton, Stoke, Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Southampton, Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Cardiff

Relegation (from): Scunthorpe, Colchester, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool, QPR

All of the other teams in the leagie that i haven''t mentioned will be around mid table

[/quote]

have to agree with you sam

All this talk about if we can get promoted or not this season is scaring me!Imagine for one minute we did scrape through into the Play-Off''s and found ourselves playing Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal in the league next season. We''d be absolutely anihilated, every week -  it''d be embarrassing. Even when we strolled this Division in 2004, we were still way out of our depth in the Prem - and we certainly won''t be ready to take that step up next season. Glenn needs a couple of years of squad rebuilding and solid investment before we can make a serious challenge to first go up and then survive, surely?

Either way next year (if we get neither relegated or promoted), I''d expect us to challenge to promotion. With Glenn on board, clearly quality players and the board willing to splash the cash on the right players we could win the league. I''ve not been inpressed with many if any of the teams I''ve seen this season with the exception of Watford early on, WBA and Stoke. The rest are average/poor teams that are wildly inconsistent.

[quote user="666"]

Why keep looking back at the bottom three there is a long way to go and we CAN catch the guy''s at the top.

[/quote]

Why keep looking back at the bottom three?  Because in two games time we could be back there!

We are still at this moment in a relegation fight and lets not delude ourselves that we are not.  Things are so much better now than 3 ago but we are just 4 points above Preston who are capable of a stringing a few wins together.

I''m not trying to negative, just realistic given our league position.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I really don''t think anyone at City will even be considering getting close to 6th place.  Avoiding relegation is the key target now for this season and we should not be taking our eye off the bottom 3, 4 points is not a huge cushion.  Personally I would consider Roeder to have done an excellent job if we are safe from relegation with 4 or 5 games left to play.

Forget 6th that is not something we should not be interested in right now, however it would be nice to maintain the kind of form we are in right now all the way to end of the season.  Our points average has been promotion material and it would be great to take that into next season, then we can look a bit higher maybe. 

[/quote]

Well of course you are right, we shouldn''t be interested in 6th right now. We should be interested in the next game. But the fans are right to dream of possibilities and everyone should be looking up the table rather than looking over their shoulders. It''s a huge ask to break into the top 6 from where we are now, in a league as open as this there are a lot of sides  a lot closer than us who could go on a run. But one defeat since November 10th is a good run to be on. That defeat was against Stoke in the last minute and Stoke are a side I believe could go up automatically with WBA.

With all due respect Saint, it does smack of little old Norwich to settle for avoiding relegation and a little more ambition wouldn''t go amiss until if/when the bubble bursts [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

Well of course you are right, we shouldn''t be interested in 6th right now. We should be interested in the next game. But the fans are right to dream of possibilities and everyone should be looking up the table rather than looking over their shoulders. It''s a huge ask to break into the top 6 from where we are now, in a league as open as this there are a lot of sides  a lot closer than us who could go on a run. But one defeat since November 10th is a good run to be on. That defeat was against Stoke in the last minute and Stoke are a side I believe could go up automatically with WBA.

With all due respect Saint, it does smack of little old Norwich to settle for avoiding relegation and a little more ambition wouldn''t go amiss until if/when the bubble bursts [;)]

[/quote]

I would take a guess that Roeder will be more focused on the gap between us and the bottom 3 than the gap between us and 6th.

Rome wasn''t built in a day and I don''t expect Roeder to take us from where we were to the play-offs in a few months.  Stoke who you mentioned as a team that could go up in the top 2 is a good example.  They have been improving year on year for several seasons now, slowly but surely laying the foundations for success.  I am more than happy to see City make gradual progression after seeing us go backwards for 3 or 4 seasons now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]From what you have been saying an injury to Fozzy and we could be sliding back down the league quick sharp.

No team should want to stay out of the premier just because of  Man Utd,Chelsea or Arsenal.

We have just as good a chance as the rest of them.

Don''t get me wrong I do see where some of you are coming from, but there are twenty team''s in the premier and not three or four.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]
From what you have been saying an injury to Fozzy and we could be sliding back down the league quick sharp.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Just look at our results without him. The two christmas home games especially. I am convinced we would have won at least one of them with Fozzy in the side. And the same thing applies with the 2 centre backs, especiall your old made Doherty, an injury to either would cause us huge problems. Also an injury to Dublin would cause us problems up front. Thats why I am sure Roeder will bring the players in. 

Another thing to remember is the emergency loan option if players get injured, afterall that''s why we got Taylor here in the first place.

So why be so negative today CJF?