Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

Glowing review for Brown on debut... shame he didn't score

Looky, looky, all action performance and he''s an instant hit, we are to be proved wrong. He didn''t score, but that''s not important right? Well PNE fans, if you are happy then I''m pleased for you, expect much more of the same, including the no goals. http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/Dream-debut-for-newboy-Brown.3668263.jp

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]Looky, looky, all action performance and he''s an instant hit, we are to be proved wrong. He didn''t score, but that''s not important right? Well PNE fans, if you are happy then I''m pleased for you, expect much more of the same, including the no goals.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/Dream-debut-for-newboy-Brown.3668263.jp
[/quote]

Funny how Mellor (who is rubbish) managed to score within a minute of replacing him as well.

Sorry to say this but I think he will prove to be a good buy for Preston, and I wish him the best of luck, because he always gave his best efforts for us. He will definitely score against us next time we play Preston, unless there is a clause to disallow his appearance. 

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Agreed Paul - some very bitter, blinkered little minds on here....Long live the board![/quote]blinkered?  Why?  For being happy we got £400K for a striker who does not score or setup goals?   You seem to be missing the patently obvious point that maybe, just maybe Brown is not good enough at this level and certainly was not good enough for us.

Good for him. He never looked like a natural goalscorer when he played for us (and that might never change) but at least he always worked hard for the cause. You always have a bit of respect for a player who puts in a shift for the team whether things are going well or not.

Not a bad player, just not a natural goalscorer.

[quote user="GJP"]

Good for him. He never looked like a natural goalscorer when he played for us (and that might never change) but at least he always worked hard for the cause. You always have a bit of respect for a player who puts in a shift for the team whether things are going well or not.

Not a bad player, just not a natural goalscorer.

[/quote]

Agree with this 100%    Very well put !

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Agreed Paul - some very bitter, blinkered little minds on here....Long live the board![/quote]blinkered?  Why? [/quote]He''s a good footballer. Does his contract say he has to play the far side of the half way line? Its short sighted to keep players pidgeon holed into positions cited in Championship Manager. He''d of made a good midfielder in the Francis mould or even better in my opinion a centre back. Just like Etuhu would have done. Remember how good Kenton became at CB after his appalling CB debut display at Watford?Worthington was often criticised for playing Henderson and McVeigh ''out of position''. But his viewpoint (and I rarely agreed with him but on those occasions.....) was that they were no good as strikers anyway. A lot of people tag Hucks as a striker........ Sutton was a CB.... Anelka was a wing backw when he signed for PSG in ''94/95 ish...... immediately they moved him up front ......Its all to do with seeing whats possible, not being ....dogmatic (?). Not being blinkered

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Here is what Roeder said about him attck barclay.

"Browny - a wonderful lad, an absolutely top-drawer human being. I wont hear a bad word said against him. But, as a striker your responsibility to the team is to score goals and create goals."[/quote]

He is right too, we can''t have a striker who can''t score, we don''t score enough as a team, so we can''t have passengers. Yes he put the effort in, created havoc amongst defenders. but he didn''t do it for me. With the money offered too, it was too good to turn down.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Here is what Roeder said about him attck barclay."Browny - a

wonderful lad, an absolutely top-drawer human being. I wont hear a bad

word said against him. But, as a striker your responsibility to the

team is to score goals and create goals."
[/quote]Blinkered because the potential was there, if you went to the West Ham pre-season game you would have seen the Brown that could have been and he scored.I think he was more a victim of the dross that was playing around him. How many chances can you honestly say we created in the games up untill Grants departure? Sure strikers are meant to score and create goals but up until Fozzy came back and Patterson was signed we didn''t seem to have much in the way of "killer ball" instinct.He worked his guts out and put the oposition under pressure. I wish him all the best because he is only 23 and has a good long career ahead of him.If you take Roeders quote how many of the strikers at the club would it not apply to?

[quote user="paul moy"]He will definitely score against us next time we play Preston, unless there is a clause to disallow his appearance. [/quote]Hopefully there was a clause which states he must play against us.[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Here is what Roeder said about him attck barclay."Browny - a

wonderful lad, an absolutely top-drawer human being."
[/quote]Try telling that to the people on the other end of his paintballs. Saying that, if he is as good with a gun as he is with a football...

Anotha player who wasnt a goalscorer for us but has done well elsewere is Peter Thorne lol he scored hat-trick last weekend and has scord 6 goals this season

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Here is what Roeder said about him attck barclay."Browny - a

wonderful lad, an absolutely top-drawer human being. I wont hear a bad

word said against him. But, as a striker your responsibility to the

team is to score goals and create goals."
[/quote]Blinkered because the potential was there, if you went to the West Ham pre-season game you would have seen the Brown that could have been and he scored.I think he was more a victim of the dross that was playing around him. How many chances can you honestly say we created in the games up untill Grants departure? Sure strikers are meant to score and create goals but up until Fozzy came back and Patterson was signed we didn''t seem to have much in the way of "killer ball" instinct.He worked his guts out and put the oposition under pressure. I wish him all the best because he is only 23 and has a good long career ahead of him.If you take Roeders quote how many of the strikers at the club would it not apply to?[/quote]I dunno Chicken, but Browns record of 13 goals in 4 seasons is an absolute disgrace.  Yes, he got a goal in a pre season friendly - so what?  In real matches he does not score goals, setup goals or even get chances.  He failed to link up well with any other strikers at our club and only has a single assist and a single goal to his game in 16 starts and 8 sub appearances.Is it any surprise that during his last couple of seasons in the championship he played for Sunderland whilst they were in the drop zone, Hull whilst they were in the drop zone and us while we were in the drop zone.  We cannot afford to have a striker on the books who does not help the goals scored tally in any way.As for Roeder''s quote, well it does not apply to Dion, Ched Evans or Cureton.  As for the rest, the jury is well and truly out on under-acheiving youngsters Martin and Jarvis.

A striker who doesn''t score or create goals is a complete waste of time.

We can''t turn him into a midfielder or centre half becuase you cant afford to take gambles like that in this day and age.  Plus if he was going to be moulded and changed it should have happened 3-4 years ago much like it did for Sutton & Anelka.

I liked Chris Brown I thought he worked hard for the team.  For me players who give 100% effort are important at this level.  Be interesting to know (can''t be bothered to look back) how many backing Chris Brown were involved in the slating of Andy Hughes, who also gave 100% every game but lacked the skills to play the bills.  

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]He''s a good footballer. Does his contract say he has to play the far side of the half way line? Its short sighted to keep players pidgeon holed into positions cited in Championship Manager. He''d of made a good midfielder in the Francis mould or even better in my opinion a centre back. Just like Etuhu would have done. Remember how good Kenton became at CB after his appalling CB debut display at Watford?Worthington was often criticised for playing Henderson and McVeigh ''out of position''. But his viewpoint (and I rarely agreed with him but on those occasions.....) was that they were no good as strikers anyway.[/quote]Some players can play other positions.  Henderson was hopeless at Right Wing.  McVeigh played well at left Wing.  Hucks is very much a forward left player.  The problem Worthy had was when he started playing Simon Charlton at Left Midfield and Central midfield.  Francis out right wing.  As for Brown at Centre Half, I wouldnt want to see him there.  I agree about Kents, he played well for those 10 or so games at Centre half. As for Etuhu, with his concentration issues and consistency problems I wouldn''t want him anywhere near the defense.As for Brown, Yes, he holds the ball up well.  His heading was appalling - the ball went anywhere but near another of our players.  His link play was average at best and his control poor.  He failed to get in positions to get chances and when one fell for him he inevitabley messed it up.

Give him 10 games for Preston and see how many goals he scores. Then we''ll see how impressed the Preston fans are with all his hard work. He is young but his flick ons weren''t great and he didn''t get into the box enough to score goals. When he was playing we were bottom of the league. I''m sure he''s a nice lad but he''s like a poor Robert Rosario.

Loved that it was a "dream debut" but he still didn''t score! [:)]

Still, I didn''t think he was too bad - striking is all about confidence... he obviously didn''t have too much here...

[quote user="ob1"]

Loved that it was a "dream debut" but he still didn''t score! [:)]

Still, I didn''t think he was too bad - striking is all about confidence... he obviously didn''t have too much here...

[/quote]

or anywhere else it seems...

he wont be playing in the championship in 12 months time

I see him as being the next Lee Power, moving clubs yearly before retiring at 28 or 29 or playing in the conference

jas :)

Brown is an awful striker and will end up in league 1 or worse, the only place he has scored goals in. No offence to the lad but if you miss 1 sitter ok. 2 alrite just unlucky. 3 err getting edgey but he missed everyone. He was just rubbish. He is not a good target man. He is not a good passer. He is not a good anything. Compare him to Dion. Now that is a footballer. He is 39 but he will still be 1000 times better than Brown will ever be.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]He''s a good footballer. Does his contract say he has to play the far side of the half way line? Its short sighted to keep players pidgeon holed into positions cited in Championship Manager. He''d of made a good midfielder in the Francis mould or even better in my opinion a centre back. Just like Etuhu would have done. Remember how good Kenton became at CB after his appalling CB debut display at Watford?Worthington was often criticised for playing Henderson and McVeigh ''out of position''. But his viewpoint (and I rarely agreed with him but on those occasions.....) was that they were no good as strikers anyway.[/quote]Some players can play other positions.  Henderson was hopeless at Right Wing.  McVeigh played well at left Wing.  Hucks is very much a forward left player.  The problem Worthy had was when he started playing Simon Charlton at Left Midfield and Central midfield.  Francis out right wing.  As for Brown at Centre Half, I wouldnt want to see him there.  I agree about Kents, he played well for those 10 or so games at Centre half. As for Etuhu, with his concentration issues and consistency problems I wouldn''t want him anywhere near the defense.As for Brown, Yes, he holds the ball up well.  His heading was appalling - the ball went anywhere but near another of our players.  His link play was average at best and his control poor.  He failed to get in positions to get chances and when one fell for him he inevitabley messed it up.[/quote]by the influx of midfielders coming into sunderland, i doubt if dicko will get a sniff once he gets back from african nations cup.agree about brown - he hasn''t the skills to play anywhere other than centre forward - and then he is only good for physically outmuscling an opponent via turning them and shooting.  trouble is, he''s yet to properly bulk up - he could be a rob hulse type figure 2 years from now through natural physical development - but that''s his best hope imo. 

I don''t think it is a matter of how many you miss if you are still scoring. Earnshaw missed a fair few but still scored some, Cureton has almost certainly missed more sitters than he has scored so far this season.At the end of the day no one takes any notice of the misses if you score and your team wins. We were totaly useless all over the pitch at the begining of the season. It probably wouldn''t have helped the strikers confidence with the pressure of the fact that if we scored one the opposition were almost certainly going to score one more!

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Agreed Paul - some very bitter, blinkered little minds on here....
Long live the board!
[/quote]
blinkered?  Why?
[/quote]
He''s a good footballer. Does his contract say he has to play the far side of the half way line?

[/quote]

im sorry but if a STRIKER is brought by somebody, im quite sure they want the player to play in the oppositions half, perform, and chip in with the goals. but yes, of course any manager would say "dont worry if you dont score, im sure you will do good in other positions"... he couldnt do what he was payed to do, he wasn''t good enough, end of, none of this ''could have/did other things well''....