Sign in to follow this  
ca

Bury v Norwich Match Thread

Quite simply not good enough.

Whatever side we put out tonight should have been capable of beating a poor Bury team who haven''t won in 9.

I don''t buy this rubbish about it being good to be out of the cup. For a start it is a chance to earn some much needed extra cash. I also don''t believe this Roeder doesn''t care theory either - if this was the case then why not play the likes of Gilks, Cave-Brown, Martin, Rossi J, Eagle and Smart?

Definitely time up for Jarvis and I suspect Cureton may find himself bench warming a lot over the rest of the season. Need to extend the Evans loan for the rest of the season and sign at least one more striker.

Hopefully this won''t affect the league form. Coventry''s great cup win hasn''t helped them and the likes of Brum & Blackburn have bounced back from their cup defeats.

Neill Adams just said that Cureton was a 25 plus goal striker, very amusing!

This performance is not about tactics, it`s not about who played where, it`s not about who started, who was on the bench., who came on ...........................it`s all about a disease we have of lacking the backbone to knuckle down and play against a lower league team. It wont IMO affect our league form, it`s a one off thats gone. Roeder has resolved a number of our problems but the Norwich thing about lacking the ability to graft still has to be cured, the players can praise the fans all they like but there is a real lack of character which they all should be ashamed of.

i agree with rudenotto.. its the mental thing with this result...  it could hit us hard... time to see how good a motivator Roeder really is now.

jas :)

Yes, Cureton was, past tense, a 25 goal striker. He won''t be this season and might never be. I''d like to see a minimum of one new striker, ideally 2, especially if Ched goes back in February. We  need more goals to win games, to get 3 points intead od 0ne point cos they can''t hit a barn door!!!

[quote user="sydneysider"], especially if Ched goes back in February. [/quote]

There''s no if about it. Man City want him back asap thats why its an emergency loan. They were bloody generous to do that in the first place. Maybe sven is useful for some things

At least we can be realistic now, survival is far from secure, our squad aint good enough and talk of getting in the playoffs is laughable, i will settle for staying up and getting rid of more of the crxp and hopefully get some class in but i expect much of the same till this board are history.

Just back from the game (I live in South Manchester) and have to say that the game seemed very subdued, almost as though we thought we''d walk it, and that Bury decided to play on the counter attack.

It''s been a very long time since I''ve seen any team, especially my own playing football is such a crab-like fashion. Passes across the pitch were played to players already marked or went straight out into touch, or were easily intercepted. Far too many occasions the ball was pinged back to Doc and/or Shackell and then the process started again, before being played backwards again. We looked devoid of ideas going forward and far too happy to keep possesion on the half way line. Against a team playing just one striker, it''s always going to be tricky to play through them, but we seemed almost allergic to playing the ball out to the widemen and whipping crosses into the box.

Defensively, we made Bury look good and never really worked their midfield. their striker, Bishop, looked handy at holding the play up and bring other Bury players in, but that seemed to stem more from our players not picking him up than anything else. Attacking wise, Bury offered little but were clinical in scoring, and for that they proved to be better than us. We appear to have the thought-process of "pass, pass, pass" but without penetrating the defences or working the oppositions players out of their positions.

Player wise: Jarvis looked awfully out of his depth, Cureton low on confidence, Russell, Fozzy and Pattison showed glimpses, but allowed the game to pass them by on far too many occasions. Huckerby looked disinterested and largely anonymous. Bertrand had a decent game without really doing much defensively or attacking-wise, whilst Spillane looked woeful and hesitant whilst the Doc far outshone the pale-imitation of yesteryear that is Shackell - where is his head at, as it doesn''t appear to be about when he''s playing. Doherty was probably my MOM, simply because he didn''t make as many mistakes as the others, and looked like he wanted to win. With Dublin coming on, it was clear the route that the game was going to take and except for a few attacks, the majority of balls were lumped forward to him, and he attacked them as you''d expect with Dublin. Croft looked lively in his cameo down the left, and did put in a few half-decent crosses, but by now you could see that the dye was cast. Camara on for Huckerby wasn''t a great surprise, allowing Bertrand to move further forward, but again he offered little extra prowess going forward.

Dublin''s goal was a strange situation. We saw the keeper save the initial shot and Dublin go in for the rebound, and then everyone stopped. Bury players, City players and the crowd too. I assumed an offside decision and saw Dublin running back out of the goal with the ball and assumed that he was putting the ball down for the time-wasting Bury keeper to kick the resulting freekick, but he kept running with the ball in his hand and reached the halfway line before anyone really twigged. Odd situation, but at least it offered a speck of a chance to maybe go onto equalise.

Game wise: we didn''t deserve to win it, plain and simple. We looked and were very poor, which is dissapointing when you consider the journey distance for the majority of fans, and the fact that we were poor in the first game. Some of the choices of players suggested Roeder is looking primarily at the League, with Jarvis and Spillane given game time, but surely Jarvis has now written his own P45 (or footballing equivalent) and will soon be on his way..? Spillane, given MOM on the game report was far from decent, with much wayward passing and weak crossing on show, but looked  adequate at defending on occasions.

In short, poor game, but if the lack of distraction in the FA Cup means we stay up this season, I''ll take the gloating that is coming my way tomorrow from one of my supervisors at work in exchange for a Championship place come August 2008.     

just one point from the outside looking in

not all of you, but some of you are saying you''ll reach playoffs and/or go up next year as champions with the current team

this well could be true

but you couldnt beat bury in two matches, does that make you guys think how good you really are?

roeder looks to be good manager, and will do job in time, but dont expect imediate success. cant believe some fans moaning like hell just get over it, sats game more important than last night and going out cup could be blessing for norwich

Forget about who we played and what we should have done, i was at the match and have to give bury credit they played good football, cleared the ball quickly from inside their box and came forward on every occasion. Norwich we played rubbish we passed consistantly accross the field no real drive to test their defence, huckerby was he actually on the pitch?????  Tactically we were so far of the mark it was awful to watch......

People saying we played a team as to show the board we need players, or that we played a 2nd team so they could face the consequences of a defeat utter rubbish roeder got it all wrong he underestimated a struggling team who had nothing to lose going into the game.

Hi everyone bury fan here. Obviously Im chuffed tofay but I had to feel for your fans. I cam down to norwich and its a damn long way, i wouldnt fancy it on a tuesday. Dont get me wrong Norwich werent very good at all but we seemed to step up our game considerably and with the bury fans making a hell of a jose all night I think we just wanted it more.

No hard feeling I hope and all the best for the rest of the season!!