Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

So we lost, get over it!

If you took a poll of Premier and Championship clubs, giving them the option of ditching the FA Cup, I think you''d be shocked as to how many of them would opt out.

Had we won last night, we would have had to play Southampton away, twice in 4 days.

Trust me, at this vital stage of the league campaign, we just don''t need that!. [:|]

From my post on Carrowroad.net

I have to say Wiz, I am not that bothered or surprised that we lost, we, for years we have gone out in the 3rd round, so sod it, concentrate on the league.

My thoughts exactly! Good post, it is nice to be in FA Cup but who cares we are out now! Well done to Bury its good for a club like them to be doing well in the competition! now lets focus on the league and the play-offs![:P]

Good Post,

as long as confidence doesnt suffer and affec tour league form, it probably is a blessing is discguise.

I agree that the FA Cup means more to supporters than it does to the more successful football team. 

However, that should not mask the fact a pretty much full stength Norwich side played a team 49 places lower than them last night, and lost.  I just hope the Board have been embarressed into giving Roeder the money he needs to bring players in before the transfer window closes.

Yes Wiz i agree, even tho i went with my two boys last night i certainly wasnt devastated at going out, solid league performances at this stage of the season are what is needed, mid table safety, 3 good signings and lets build for next season..

Refreshing post by you 1st Wiz!

I myself would much prefer to be winning the relegation battle than fighting for the FA cup........... If we lose an FA match this year, there''s always next year, if we lose the relegation fight, it could spell disaster!

Well, if we must have one, I''d much rather suffer a poor performance in the FA Cup than have one in the league this Saturday. Hopefully Glenn can talk the players into raising their games again for Saturday to achieve a good result against Leicester. I smiled when I read the drivel in yesterday''s local papers about how City were too good for Bury.  I''d heard it all before, and had my suspicions that those wimps who currently wear the yellow and green just might be about to let us all down again. Never mind!

Cant agree with this 100% Im afraid.  Yes, lets not dwell on the loss.  But this is the FA cup guys - its a national institution!  Now if your comments were directed towards the League Cup I could understand, but not the FA cup!  We havent won it yet!

Whilst we may have lost last night and I''m not to bothered about the cup in our poor league position there are things that I find worrying; in two games against a league two side we have been unable to break down a dogged defence does this mean our players are not good enough.

Our coaching staff were unable to organise a system that could outdo Bury (no shots on target in the first forty five minutes last night), or is it just that the players couldn''t be arsed.

Whilst I dont like to see Norwich losing I can take it if we put in a decent performance last night was pathetic if ever our board needed a wake up call this was it. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

If you took a poll of Premier and Championship clubs, giving them the option of ditching the FA Cup, I think you''d be shocked as to how many of them would opt out.

Had we won last night, we would have had to play Southampton away, twice in 4 days.

Trust me, at this vital stage of the league campaign, we just don''t need that!. [:|]

From my post on Carrowroad.net

[/quote]

What nonsense you write. Glenn Roeder expected to win and didn''t want to lose making the point that he would rather have a winning run, FA Cup included, than lose against Bury and fall into the "now we can conentrate on the league crap". It''s only a short while ago that many on here were accepting that we would be relegated (not me) but that at least we could concentrate on the Cup ! As for last night, of course we have all got over it but it doesn''t mean that many of us shouldn''t be thoroughly p_____d off as indeed Roeder himslef is.

[quote user="sparkie"]Wiz. its not that we lost, its the manor in which we lost .[/quote]Gigg Lane, I believe the locals call it...

I hate to lose any game, naturally, but there are some that matter more

than others... this is one of those matches that will have very little

affect on this important league season, in the long-run, so whilst its

disappointing, its not the end of the world... Next game, please![:D]

I was at the game last night having travelled down from durham.Very disappointed with the performance and must agree with one elderly Bury fans comments to me after stating that the team should be embarrassed by the performance.I don''t often get to see the boys living up here but there were some performances that seemed to highlight the players that are just not good enough.Huckerby doesn''t seem bothered.It actually seemed that he had words on the touchline during the first half and did anyone notice Croft go to him and have a little word in his ear as they came out at the start of the second half.Me thinks he was read the riot act in the dressing room,not that it made any difference to his performance,dismal!!!As for Jarvis,he has been built up over the years as the local boy to come good (should be not come good!!).On last nights performance only Marshall,Dublin,Croft and Fotheringham could come out with a little bit of credit.As for the cloggers Shackell and Docherty and the has beens Russell,Cureton and Huckerby they either need to shape up or ship out.Big supporter of what Roeder is trying to achieve and i am sure he will get it right eventually.As for the FA Cup not being important well every game is and you play to win every game.Unfortunately last night we did not.  

The general opinion is that it wasn''t a bad thing that we lost last night but I have to disagree. People seem to be under the impression that if you get knocked out of the FA Cup in the early stages then it will either (a) enhance your chances in the League or (b) almost guarantee, depending where you are when you get knocked out, either promotion, the play offs or survival.

Quite honestly I don''t buy this. I believe from memory that we haven''t progressed beyond the third or fourth round for several years now & so I ask, what good has it done us.

On the other hand there are definite benefits from progressing in the Cup. Firstly, last nights defeat will almost certainly result in a drop in confidence levels which won''t help us for the next game(s). Secondly, no matter what walk of life you''re in, success breeds success and there''s no substitute for maintaining a belief that you can win any game. Losing to Bury broke a relatively long run of unbeaten games & it might just be a while before we get on another one.

Then there''s the financial side of things - ok, a trip to Southampton might not bring in a fortune but the further you go in the competition then the more likely you are to get a money spinning tie in the next round. And let''s face it we could do with a few quid from a tie, and possibly a televised game, against a top club.

I think too many people have been listening to the rubbish sprouted by Steve Coppel and company who seem to have this mistaken belief that the FA Cup is worthless. Not only is this showing utter contempt towards supporters, the FA Cup competition and all players who would love to play in the Cup Final, it also demonstrates what a sorry state football is in generally now that it''s a business & no longer a sport.

Yes its not the end of the world cause any City fan in October would of taken being 4 pts above the drop zone and an FA cup 3rd round defeat. Afterall maintaining our Championship status is the main priority!

BUT this was against p*ss poor Bury who are 18th in the 4th tier and it breaks the momentum up a little and prevents the club from earning some much needed income from a cup run!

Last night was a half hearted.display. The squad isn''t good enough or big enough to be able to rest players!

The only optimistic things you can say from last nights ''shower'' is that a cup run isn''t going to hamper our survival bid or even the long shot of a play off place which is still possible and Roeder must of finally realised that Ryan Jarvis is never going to be good enough and therefore (hopefully) won''t play for the club again!

[quote user="Making Plans"]

The general opinion is that it wasn''t a bad thing that we lost last night but I have to disagree. People seem to be under the impression that if you get knocked out of the FA Cup in the early stages then it will either (a) enhance your chances in the League or (b) almost guarantee, depending where you are when you get knocked out, either promotion, the play offs or survival.

Quite honestly I don''t buy this. I believe from memory that we haven''t progressed beyond the third or fourth round for several years now & so I ask, what good has it done us.

On the other hand there are definite benefits from progressing in the Cup. Firstly, last nights defeat will almost certainly result in a drop in confidence levels which won''t help us for the next game(s). Secondly, no matter what walk of life you''re in, success breeds success and there''s no substitute for maintaining a belief that you can win any game. Losing to Bury broke a relatively long run of unbeaten games & it might just be a while before we get on another one.

Then there''s the financial side of things - ok, a trip to Southampton might not bring in a fortune but the further you go in the competition then the more likely you are to get a money spinning tie in the next round. And let''s face it we could do with a few quid from a tie, and possibly a televised game, against a top club.

I think too many people have been listening to the rubbish sprouted by Steve Coppel and company who seem to have this mistaken belief that the FA Cup is worthless. Not only is this showing utter contempt towards supporters, the FA Cup competition and all players who would love to play in the Cup Final, it also demonstrates what a sorry state football is in generally now that it''s a business & no longer a sport.

[/quote]

Finally, the voice of common sense. Well written MP.