Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

imprudent colchester try to spend way outa relegation!?!

rumours: Colchester will complete the signing of Walsall left-back Daniel Fox for £350,000. (The Sun)also: Phil Ifil [Tottenham - Colchester] Undisclosed         

Chris Coyne [Luton - Colchester] £350,000
am i missing something??? colchester have gates of 6K don''t they.  how can they afford to spend 3 signings in this window???  also on top of their new stadium plans???  looks rash and imprudent to me.  could camu enlighten us please!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]rumours: Colchester will complete the signing of Walsall left-back Daniel Fox for £350,000. (The Sun)

also: Phil Ifil [Tottenham - Colchester] Undisclosed

Chris Coyne [Luton - Colchester] £350,000

am i missing something??? colchester have gates of 6K don''t they.  how can they afford to spend 3 signings in this window???  also on top of their new stadium plans???  looks rash and imprudent to me.  could camu enlighten us please!!!
[/quote]

Well, I''m really thrilled and full of hope but it''s hardly in your league.  I don''t think it is rash and imprudent.  We do not have any debt as a club and the Council and various Football Grants are meeting the cost of the ground (£14m) and which is actually from the A12 beginning to look like something approaching a football stadium.  The Council have given a loan on very generous terms and will take a percentage of the Community Sports Centre profits so it''s a joint deal in that way.

In reality, I suspect that one of the reasons is our new owner who, though not in the super rich class, does have some money to spend on the club.  Apparently he has put in £1.5m just before Christmas with another £1.5m to come this year (don''t know when).  He also picks up the bill for most of Teddy''s wages out of his own pocket (which is just as well).

Ifil cost around £350,000 but there are reportedly add ons which could make him the record signing.  At the moment Chris Coyne is the record signing but I think he might prove a January Sales bargain - I''m sure that had it not been for Luton''s sad situation the Manager would have held out for more.  He wasn''t consulted and no doubt the Administrators wanted to be sure of getting their fees!

He and Ifil played very well on Saturday when Bristol threw everything at us after they equalised.  I do think they could be the difference between us staying up or going down.  There''s nothing much wrong with the forward line - we''ve been let down by our defence which is why we are where we are.

I think we did well to get Ifil - Southampton are highly miffed that they missed him as he was on a three month loan to them.

The club say Walsall have accepted our offer for Daniel Fox (I think it''s £250k, not £350k) and it is just personal terms stuff at the moment.  It is also likely that there will be further signings before the window closes but whether these are permanent or loan no one knows.

We went in for Coyne before Luton''s troubles and were initially turned down.  But we persisted and apparently Greg Halford put in a good word for the club with Coyney.  Coyne also met the boss and presumably was persuaded by what he heard - no doubt he also wants to be paid for the first time for weeks!  Of course we would actually like Mr Halford back - he hasn''t had the best of starts at Sunderland but I don''t see that happening.

So exciting times for us in our modest way.  Still going to be a battle I think but I am hoping we are better equipped for it than we were.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]rumours: Colchester will complete the signing of Walsall left-back Daniel Fox for £350,000. (The Sun)also: Phil Ifil [Tottenham - Colchester] Undisclosed          Chris Coyne [Luton - Colchester] £350,000am i missing something??? colchester have gates of 6K don''t they.  how can they afford to spend 3 signings in this window???  also on top of their new stadium plans???  looks rash and imprudent to me.  could camu enlighten us please!!![/quote]

Well, I''m really thrilled and full of hope but it''s hardly in your league.  I don''t think it is rash and imprudent.  We do not have any debt as a club and the Council and various Football Grants are meeting the cost of the ground (£14m) and which is actually from the A12 beginning to look like something approaching a football stadium.  The Council have given a loan on very generous terms and will take a percentage of the Community Sports Centre profits so it''s a joint deal in that way.

In reality, I suspect that one of the reasons is our new owner who, though not in the super rich class, does have some money to spend on the club.  Apparently he has put in £1.5m just before Christmas with another £1.5m to come this year (don''t know when).  He also picks up the bill for most of Teddy''s wages out of his own pocket (which is just as well).

Ifil cost around £350,000 but there are reportedly add ons which could make him the record signing.  At the moment Chris Coyne is the record signing but I think he might prove a January Sales bargain - I''m sure that had it not been for Luton''s sad situation the Manager would have held out for more.  He wasn''t consulted and no doubt the Administrators wanted to be sure of getting their fees!

He and Ifil played very well on Saturday when Bristol threw everything at us after they equalised.  I do think they could be the difference between us staying up or going down.  There''s nothing much wrong with the forward line - we''ve been let down by our defence which is why we are where we are.

I think we did well to get Ifil - Southampton are highly miffed that they missed him as he was on a three month loan to them.

The club say Walsall have accepted our offer for Daniel Fox (I think it''s £250k, not £350k) and it is just personal terms stuff at the moment.  It is also likely that there will be further signings before the window closes but whether these are permanent or loan no one knows.

We went in for Coyne before Luton''s troubles and were initially turned down.  But we persisted and apparently Greg Halford put in a good word for the club with Coyney.  Coyne also met the boss and presumably was persuaded by what he heard - no doubt he also wants to be paid for the first time for weeks!  Of course we would actually like Mr Halford back - he hasn''t had the best of starts at Sunderland but I don''t see that happening.

So exciting times for us in our modest way.  Still going to be a battle I think but I am hoping we are better equipped for it than we were.

[/quote]thanks for your reply cam - well explained and thoughtful post as usual.  good to see colchester making a go of it - no team is adrfit just yet, and i think good displays away at charlton and bristol will have provided some heart and hope to the u''s.  just the home form now???however, re my point - it seems through a clever alliance with the council to develop a new ground, and the financial support of an ambitious chairman, you''ve been able to spend more on players than your normal income would allow!!!in other words - your chairman is providing extra speculative finance into the club -  without guarantee of return.  in NCFC terms, this is an imprudent.  but obviously the u''s chairman feels a punt at trying to stay up is better than going down without a fight!!!good luck.  

...it is strange how easy it is to spend someone else''s money

i must say daniel fox is very good youngster and will perform in this league. i was tad dissopointed that wolves didnt go in for him but apperently the news coming out of molineux is that fox moving is pathing the way for elokobi to come to wolves

if this is the case thats prob where colchester have their money from

[quote user="T"]

[/quote]

I know tsk, tsk....

Oh! hold on we have too, and that''s why we are in debt.

Spot on LGT, you are not missing anything, but there are some posters on here that cannot see what is staring them in the face, even Colchester Utd are more ambitious than us.

[quote user="T"]

[/quote]

Every married Woman in England would agree with you

jas :)

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Spot on LGT, you are not missing anything, but there are some posters on here that cannot see what is staring them in the face, even Colchester Utd are more ambitious than us.[/quote]yeah, the only successful season we''ve had in 10 years+ was gained though extra investment coming into the club via the share issue.   having got into the prem - the board decided to go back to their usual ''prudent model'' and its been downhill ever since...

[quote user="we8wba"]

i must say daniel fox is very good youngster and will perform in this league. i was tad dissopointed that wolves didnt go in for him but apperently the news coming out of molineux is that fox moving is pathing the way for elokobi to come to wolves

if this is the case thats prob where colchester have their money from

[/quote]

or you could read the post from the colchester fan above.

Thanks, Lucky Green Trainers. We shall need the good luck! 

The owner has backed our Manager in public although there was the usual GW out stuff after the Peterborough debacle on the message boards .  We obviously have some money of our own but I''m assuming that some of his £1.5m has gone to getting in new players - it''s amazing for us.  I don''t think most of the fans can believe it.  We''ve never spent that sort of money in the history of the club! 

I think the other thing is that he realises that it would be a great pity if we move to a nice new Stadium (and let''s be honest, good old Layer Road is NOT good enough standard in this day and age) and find ourselves in League One.  If it happens, it happens, but I think he''s doing his best to try and avoid it if we can.

I think it is a *little* different for Norwich - you are a huge club with wonderful support and quite rightly you have far higher ambitions having been there and done that.  The limit of our ambition, at this moment, is simply to stay in the Championship if we can - it''s taken so long to get there and as I have said before we''ve been to the Conference and back en route.

Let''s hope we can both survive.  I think the next two or three matches are vital for both of us.