Sign in to follow this  
Boba Fett

Crafty Glen

Just reading Roeders comments on the official site talking about Murray possibly leaving and there was quite an interesting quote at the end regarding the release of Brown/Brellier and Dave....

"By letting them go it forces your hand you have to get players in. And if those players hadnt moved out the desire, motivation and determination ato get players in through the door - and i mean from everyone at the club - might not have been strong enough. Now it has to be stong and we have to find a way to get them in."

Sounds to me like he may have forced the boards hand into buying new players by getting rid of a load and turning round saying i have no players now buy me some.  Murray next then Lappin and Martin out on loan.

I am getting to think Glenda is a genius...

I will reserve judgement.  I think we have had a very successful transfer window so far.  However we have still only signed one player on a permanent deal and let four (admittadly not first teamers) go.  The bench was looking a tad weak at the weekend, not a good sign should a couple of injuries or suspensions kick in.

Its basic football logic really. I wouldnt call it genius. However PG never thought of it, but then again he thought all the crap players we had were good! - Brown, Brellier, Strihavka, Murray.

Hopefully the board will release this cash for more signings. But lets not hold our breath.........

The board will works out how much the club can afford to spend on transfers/wages in total whilst ensuring that the club can meet its financial obligations. It will then be up to the manager to decide how to spend the budget so to talk about backing the manager or releasing funds is unclear. Given are financial situation, money can only be made available by getting rid of players or the board injecting more money into the club.

I would say that statement is quite worrying. Very obviously a veiled ultimatum to the board and very different from the "I`m confident i have the full support of the board" statement of a few weeks ago. Come on board, you`ve made a great appointment in Roeder and now is the time to show you are prepared to go the extra mile to bring in the quality to reverse the slump of recent seasons. Do that and i`m sure everyone will be pulling in the same direction once again.

[quote user="T"]

.... Given are financial situation, money can only be made available by getting rid of players or the board injecting more money into the club.

[/quote]

I''m sorry but could you please detail "our financial situation" with some facts and figures? I think every NCFC fan would love to know exactly how much GR has to spend.

But the pressure on those that hold the purse strings is increased if they can no longer argue that you have 5 strikers or x ammount of midfielders.

I am somewhat mystified that Glenda still has doubters yes its early days yet but what exactly has he done wrong so far?  Very little as far as i am concerned.  He is open and honest about things if we were rubbish he says so none of that old work ethic c**p that previous managers have come up with on the back of another home defeat, shrewd in transfer market. Harsh on under performing players and is not afraid to drop people like Hucks or Cureton. 

Undefeated in 9 with lets face its a pretty poor squad having been bottom for 8 weeks is spot on. 

The figures are based on last year''s accounts. Last year operating cash after interest payments was 0.5m including 0.6m paid to NW and 7.1m received in parachute money which indicates a 6m cash shortfall this year if you exclude the non-recurring items. 3m profit was subsequently made over the summer on players transfers, Turners gave 2m so leaves 1m shortfall which I would expect would be made up from lower wages following the sale of more expensive players. Therefore I would not expect us to have any cash available other than what GR has made on player sales/wage savings unless the directors have given more money which I do expect is the case given the talk of new players. I would expect that the budget is between 1m based on players leaving and 3m if the directors continue to fund the losses.

[quote user="T"]

. Given are financial situation, money can only be made available by getting rid of players or the board injecting more money into the club.

[/quote]That is not correct, but its obvious business basics not to make public what the situation is

sure - roedy is a wise owl and knows when to sweet talk and  when to push.  but with 2 weeks left until the window closes - i hope he and city won''t be disappointed by what turns up for training come feb1st.  this must be the busiest jan window for years in the champs - with loadsa players on the merry-go-round.  it means prices are inflated, following the trend we saw in the summer with the sales of eastwood, sharp, varney mcleod etc.  and we know from past experience how the board view ''silly'' prices for players.the players they bring in will tell all how serious they are about building a geninue promotion team for next season - make no mistake.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]..........but with 2 weeks left until the window closes - i hope he and city won''t be disappointed by what turns up for training come feb1st. 

the players they bring in will tell all how serious they are about building a geninue promotion team for next season - make no mistake.

[/quote]

Would this be so very disappointing? Realisticaly we need the fire power to avoid the drop this year and Roeder has got us nearly there with that regard. Particularly, if the gaps can be filled with loanees (am I right in assuming the famous emergency loans are availble until April?).

The bench was looking a tad weak at the weekend, not a good sign should a couple of injuries or suspensions kick in.

The Bench that consists of Hucks (on his day best player in championship) & Cuerton last seasons championships leading scorer, doesn''t sound weak to me. Pattinson was suspended and will be at least on the bench tonight. Drury/Chadwick may be out for most of the season but still on the wage bill. As soon as Murray & Lappin goes it frees up more wages and if Roeder gets the 4 players in that he would like, we will have a very strong squad, remember there are alot of players who are comfortable in more than 1 positions (ie Hucks, Bertrand, Pattinson, Dublin, Russell).

I think Roeder is doing an excellent job and there are too may people think that are squad is weak and the board can waste loads of money on wages (which we cant), 2-4  good new additions to the squad (Taylor and a good forward minimum) and we will be very strong believe me and hard to beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AB2HFFS - why not correct? - have you got some more info you can share beyond the financial statements? I''m be happy to be wrong and that we have more money from somewhere else e,g. land deals maybe/share of hotel profits?

I have a slight concern about this.  What happens if there are only a few days left before the end of the transfer window and Roeder has not been able to get in players he wants?

Will this force us into paying over the odds for players in the last few days of the window or buying ones that aren''t first choice and perhaps not of the desired quality?

Talk about doom and gloom Wiz mate, there is another post here about that, and thats crap too. People read too much into that comment. I hope its not a ''Martin O''Neil mk2'', infact, Im certain it is not.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I have a slight concern about this.  What happens if there are only a few days left before the end of the transfer window and Roeder has not been able to get in players he wants?

Will this force us into paying over the odds for players in the last few days of the window or buying ones that aren''t first choice and perhaps not of the desired quality?

[/quote]well.........unless we genuinely have money (could be? but v. doubtful) then i reckon we''ll see 3 bodies in - i signed on a free or a nominal, and two loanees - all quality players though.  as usual, if you''re a NCFC fan, you get hyped up, only to be disappointed when little happens during the window.  loans are the norwich way!!!  you win some, you lose some, but roedy is yet to pick a bad ''un - so theres hope yet!!!

[quote user="T"]The figures are based on last year''s accounts. Last year operating cash after interest payments was 0.5m including 0.6m paid to NW and 7.1m received in parachute money which indicates a 6m cash shortfall this year if you exclude the non-recurring items. 3m profit was subsequently made over the summer on players transfers, Turners gave 2m so leaves 1m shortfall which I would expect would be made up from lower wages following the sale of more expensive players. Therefore I would not expect us to have any cash available other than what GR has made on player sales/wage savings unless the directors have given more money which I do expect is the case given the talk of new players. I would expect that the budget is between 1m based on players leaving and 3m if the directors continue to fund the losses.[/quote]

And this year''s account''s when published.......will be last year''s. So they''re history. 

No one on this message board is privy to what money is to be made available for purchase of players (but you never know?)....But,a lot of folk have a good idea of how much the ''off the field'' expenditure was (or is) including the salary of the Chief Exec.

We should be laying the foundations ''NOW'' for next season and beyond......Roeder has done well with what he''s got - but to limp through the rest of the season with the bare bones is suicidal. Will we have funds during the close-season for strengthening? Who have we got as collateral? No squad members currently on the books here, are likely to bring a few million if we sold him or them (No Earnshaw or Ashton). We may bring in loans (as is the norm with this club) but they''re just a stop-gap temporary money sapping substitute - that should only be utilised when the ''loaning'' club is lacking in number through suspension and injury. Go into a little short-term ''extra'' debt and bring in some quality that Glenn has highlighted, that means trusting and supporting this manager if the board have faith in him. These ''hopeful'' additions will then have time to settle, know the club - and be ready for the onset of 2009.

We can all assume and suppose......But, if the board don''t ''cater'' for the future of the footballing side, our current manager may tire and move on if a suitable juicy carrot is dangled.......I''m sure outsiders are watching and monitoring Glenn''s performance here at Carra, and if he ''keeps us up'' and we finish mid-table.....and then no finance is forthcoming for football.....Bye!  

MY - I agree there could be a temptation to write this season off and spend the money in the summer but firstly we are still far from safe and secondly we need to start putting a team for next season so that they have time to gel.

I also agree last year''s accounts is last year which is why I do the standard analysis on last year of stripping out the non-recurring items to come up with the ongoing numbers for this year. This indicates new players can only come from selling player  (Lewis/Brown/released wages) and new money from the Board. Given that GR is talking about 3/4 more players suggests that more money is being put in - what none of know is how much.

[quote user="T"]

MY - I agree there could be a temptation to write this season off and spend the money in the summer but firstly we are still far from safe and secondly we need to start putting a team for next season so that they have time to gel.

[/quote]

This is very much the old way of thinking, these days the team that kicks off in August is probably going to include a few loanees we haven''t even heard of. After all who on the board had heard of Bertrand when he pitched up with his boots.

We need to ensure safety as an absolute minimum so that is winning another 6/7 games and to do that we might need cover but there challenge is to do this without stocking up on more deadwood. What kind of players are available now, only the ones that no one wants (unless a club is forced to sell).

I think you will find that Glenn used the old " force your hand" one so that when he pays £1m for Martin Taylor he wont lose face. The big stand off between him and Brady was only ever gonna be won by Brady so he will pay the asking price and then claim it was "a forced hand"