Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

New Goalkeeping coach

After Sacking James Hollman and temporarily using lardy Bryan Gunn we look to be signing a new GK coach"Tommy Wright is expected to resign as manager of Ballymena United to become goalkeeping coach at Norwich City.

BBC Sport understands the former Northern Ireland keeper has been offered a two-and-a-half contract with the Championship club. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/7171141.stm

Ive been reading this forum for a while now but had no reason to post as off yet but 1st wizard you have not got the brains you were born with ,Gunny has done more for our club then you would in 10 life times,give gunny a break when ever he has been asked to fill in he always has ,and in my opion done a good job as well

[quote user="neverplayuagain"]Ive been reading this forum for a while now but had no reason to post as off yet but 1st wizard you have not got the brains you were born with ,Gunny has done more for our club then you would in 10 life times,give gunny a break when ever he has been asked to fill in he always has ,and in my opion done a good job as well
[/quote]

The Wizards right, though no-one doubting Gunns contrubution over the years (especially as a player) but it doesnt maek him a qualified goialkeeping coach. I dont think he has any coaching badges, and the attitude of looking after our friends wont get us anywhere. Noone seems to know what to do with Gunn at the moment, he''s the odd job man!

Why was Hollman sacked ... he has done so well with all our talented goalkeepers ... compared with other clubs we have done extremely well with our goalkeepers ... and thanks to Hollman too.

Talent & good Coaching  =  Robert Green !

Cannot let this go, Bryan Gunn is a great servant and ambassador for this club, loves Norwich as much as any of us and  is great at the commercial/marketing side of things, personally im not that bothered about what it is he does its just good to have him here, same as its good having Goss here. Cannot believe that people would stoop to having a go at such a wonderful man and footballing legend!

[quote user="CatNcfc"]Cannot let this go, Bryan Gunn is a great servant and ambassador for this club, loves Norwich as much as any of us and  is great at the commercial/marketing side of things, personally im not that bothered about what it is he does its just good to have him here, same as its good having Goss here. Cannot believe that people would stoop to having a go at such a wonderful man and footballing legend!
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly - well said that poster [Y]

Totally agree with you CAT, as outsiders we can''t actually KNOW what contribution Mr Gunn makes but one would have thought with his record at the Club he might well have been accorded the benefit of any doubt.

A record tellingly illustrated by the fact that the Club wouldn''t have suffered a painful relegation when he missed the latter half of a season through injury.

The uncomplimentary tone recalls the spiteful stuff that the Wizard and his mates couldn''t stop themselves bandying about re another great ex playing servant of the Club Ron Davies.

I think the points been missed,

I''ll repeat no-ones doubting Gunns Previos Contribution, there doubting his ability as a goalkeeping coach. Gunn does seem unfit, whether that would be a problem i don''t know, and i agree we shouldnt just give him a job because of who he is, by all means its good to keep him at the club, but not at the expense of proper coaching / training. If this new guy is going to be a worthy replacement for Hollman then Great. I''m sure Gunn will stay in some capacity anyway.

But if some of you had your way our coaching team would made up of Iwan Roberts and Rob Newman, we''d bring Grant back as manager, and despite  a lack of qualifications, Darren Eadie wants a join and u''d let him be physio!

I maybe completely wrong here but I''m pretty sure Gunn was brought in as a Scout / liaison officer.

Basically GR points out a player and Gunn goes watches has a few pies and then reports back.

If GR agrees then Gunn runs back and deals with the paperwork.

This means that GR can spend more time at the training ground with his team.

Seems perfect sense to me, and it''s working so far...Cool [H]Cool [H]

I''m getting a bit fed up (no pun intended) of so many people knocking Gunny for his weight. I mean, the guy has spent 20 years keeping himself in prime physical condition as a professional footballer, so what if he puts on some weight now he''s retired? I admit that from the coaching point of view it can''t help, but I can''t see it as a great deal of a hindrance either - goalkeeper coaching is more about positioning, anticipation and mentality. He''s played international football and been at the top of the English game for most of his career, and with his charisma and personality I can''t imagine he''d make a bad goalkeeping coach. It is ridiculously harsh on Hollman, but we still don''t know the whole picture, so can we not just lay off Gunny and let him do his job? Roeder doesn''t seem the kind of manager to suffer fools gladly, so I''m sure Gunny must be having a positive influence.