Sign in to follow this  
milan marcus

Flying England flags on your car

I am getting ready for Euro 2004 (going to Portugal on Sunday - Yes) and have invested in my flags for the car however I just wish more people would do the same. Whenever I visit the US I am amazed at the amount of flags flying all the time. We need to get a pride back in this country yet few people seem bothered to make the effort. I listened to a guy on Parky on Radio 2 on Sunday slagging football supporters off saying that because we shout for England / Norwich we are yobs and not true defenders of the English way of life. I disagree and think that showing your support is a positive way in demonstrating your pride in being English or coming from Norwich. The trouble with some people like the guy on parky is that he they think all footie fans are yobs which is a very poor stereotype of true footie supporters. I love my country not in a racist or bigoted way just a simple love of a great country made even more stronger by the D Day remembrance. On a Norwich note why doesn’t the club invest in flags for the new season - I''ll buy one.....

Who else is flying a flag on their car?

Well said and a great argument about it. On sky sports news yesterday, they were doing a piece on how these flags are selling like mad and how once they arrived in the country from the Far East they sold immeadiately and they asked 4 fans what they thought about those flags and one bloke said your much not of a fan if you display these things and a simple shirt and scarf is the best way to display these things. Given that a flag of St George displays England more than the shirt or scarf I can''t see where exactly the argument goes on that front and even buying a simple flag of St George rather than a Shirt and Scarf is much cheaper and show''s more like patritism because it can represent anyting to do with England. I will admit that when God Save The Queen is played to do with anything England/ Britain then I sing with pride like many people and if there are any important events which involves England/ Britain then I will proudly wave my flag of St George or Union Jack.

Help! I got some green and yellow ribbons for my car aerial and they frayed so badly first time that I looked in my rearscreen mirror and saw, to my huge embarrassment, a trail of yellow and green thread blowing away in the distance for about 10 or more metres, and it was getting longer by the second! I had to find the nearest place to stop and remove them, and I was very red-faced in doing so. Has anyone any tips on which types of ribbon to use, or whether there is something else more suitable? Does the clubshop sell anything that could do the same job?

I''m proudly flying a flag on my car and also one on my house!! Good post marcus, it is okay to love your country, I have travelled the world as part of my job and while other countries may have certain charm I find it impossible not to grin when I touch back down in Blighty. If only the weather was as good as it is now year round then England would be perfect!! Keep it low.

The England flags are a great idea, (only have the one on the motor though as I think too many look "naff"). My two lads play a game when we go out and count them, and there are quite a few about I can tell you!. Wonder if the club-shop have thought of pushing some out for next season?. I suppose they would have to be made out off sail-cloth, to see them through our seasons weather!. Still, would look better than ones scarf being battered to oblivion hanging out the car window!.

Yeah just like to say that I have the good old flag flying proudly on my car.. You wait and see though the further England goes in the tournament the more flags you will see as no matter where you go in football you will always get the fans who are only fans when the team does something ..... Get the flags up now and show the team we are just as patriotic as those yankees .... Mind you, they can go a bit over the top cant they with this great American Dream palava etc etc etc.......

I bought a magnetic Norwich City badge and stuck it on the bonnet of my car, got loads of horns and waves. You can still get them on E-bay for a tenner, the same guy also does England badges. Go on have a look..

Have you driven around the area recently Milan? Those flags are everywhere!!!! I clocked up a couple of hundred miles last Tuesday around Norfolk for work and was amazed by how many there were. I spoke to my Dad who was in Manchester recently, he reckons you couldn''t turn anywhere without seeing the St Georges flag.
I''ve always considered us English amongst the most patriotic people in the world, and the flags prove it.

As for the Norwich equivalent. Great idea, Neil Doncaster/Will Hoy if are you reading surely those pound signs are ching-chinging in your eyes right now?

according to the mail you will be fined 2,500 for having them as they obscure the view,what rubbish!!!
i think norwich would do well to have england flags with the norwich crest in the middle

I''ve got one and its on my car but I have to say I almost felt like I was being unfaithful when I fitted it. Didnt take any City stuff down though

Yeah, saw that here:

[link]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/3785601.stm[/link]

Won''t be around for long when England crash out of the group stage anyway!

Archie, The club were doing england flags with norwich badge but they sold out i think, i asked if they would get anymore and they were unsure

Two flags on the car, a big flag outside the front and back of the house, and also bunting hanging from the guttering front and back.....COME ON ENGLAND..... it only happens every two years, thats my excuse

In the minority here, but the flags, in my opinion, smack of people aligning themselves with whatevers the current craze...
I''ve met people who over the years bemoan football even exists and then as soon as theres a major tournament or football''s deemed ''cool'', they''re all over it...
Don''t get me wrong, I''m not elistist, I don''t mind people being interested in it, its when they use football every now and again to seem cool...!
And the flag wearing to me is synonimous with this wretched behaviour...

Get in there Rabbit and others !

Get with the program Tuffnel and Jumpers it''s only once every two years.

Show your passion and love of the game with a bit of pride

Up the City

P.S Doing a little over the speed limit today and flags seem to be a little worse for ware !

I''m with you, Tuffnel and Jumpers. Not a fan - cant quite put my finger on why, just think they''re a bit naff.

I can''t believe people aren''t in favour of flying the flag and they only cost a quid on the Market & its great fun.

But there are some essential questions to answer:

*What side of the car should the flag fly from? Driver''s or passengers?
&
*Is there any etiquette in flying the flag from your house? My wife says it should be match days only, but the rest of the family are in favour of having it up for the entire tournament.

Passed a car in City Road tonight and it was flying the Scottish flag, which I thought was pretty neat (for a nation not renowned for its humour)

Me too. I do got two in one of my car. But I always can put them in.

So most other car has flag in Lowestoft, Gt Yarmouth and Norwich. I be saw them.
Lots and lots of car has flag. When them went to shop of pound and saw of Flag cost ÂŁ1.

I was thought that England would won Euro2004 final.

But I was dream and see England won over France 3-2. But I see Owen winner goal by 89mins.

What do you dream over England.

susie

a little tip which i learnt a long, long time ago (probably the last time we were promoted!), glue the ends of each ribbon with clear nail varnish (this worked for me for the trip to cardiff using ribbons from john lewis!!

we used the flags this year (official and unoffical and both were okay)

any more household tips anyone? Have got loads relating to ridding your residence of binners lol

I love all things england as much as the next man, but i''m with those opposed to the flags on cars - 100% total tack in my book.. bet you virtually none of them could tell you when st. george''s day is..

I think the main reason I don''t fly one is that as well as being the Patron saint of England , St George is also the patron saint of sufferers from leprosy, plague and syphilis. Wouldn''t want people to get confused.