Sign in to follow this  
Being Jan Kristiansen...

Should we get rid of the academy?

For whatever reason over the last 6 – 7 years the Norwich

City academy has not produced one player of note, apart from maybe Shackell

(and my personal opinion is that he will soon become our 3rd choice

centre back). Roeder is not impressed with the current bunch and would rather

take 18 year olds from top Premiership clubs. The FA youth cup result does not fill me with confidence that a new crop of worthy footballers is just around the corner. 

Running the academy costs money, money which could be better

directed towards hovering up talent which just failed to make it at the very top

level, like Patterson. It''s not the club job to run an expensive youth club.

no free bet thread created by ardee

are you MAD SON!

on the topic, youngsters dont always produce year in year out. wolves had batch of murray, keane, lescott and naylor and havnt had much till recent times

another example is whu, who had the great youngsters in you know who in short period. who they produced since?

keep the faith they usually come when you least expect it

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Acadamy costs nothing compared to transfer fees.
[/quote]

Lets put it this way bellamy has probably covered at least half academys fees in the past 10yrs

that one bright spark which appears every so often is worth keeping the academy

Was not Roader the Newcastle Academy boss at one stage? We need an academy for sure and I believe he is the man that can kick start that again.

It may take time, but IMHO it''s worth the effort.

fourfourtwo magazine reported that 90% of young players taken on by football clubs at age 10 will never play professionally... stats like that seem to make acadamy''s look like "loss making" businesses.. however, unearth the next Wayne Rooney and that figure for all those kids released seems miniscule.

jas :)

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]

For whatever reason over the last 6 – 7 years the Norwich City academy has not produced one player of note, apart from maybe Shackell (and my personal opinion is that he will soon become our 3rd choice centre back). Roeder is not impressed with the current bunch and would rather take 18 year olds from top Premiership clubs. The FA youth cup result does not fill me with confidence that a new crop of worthy footballers is just around the corner. 

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->Running the academy costs money, money which could be better directed towards hovering up talent which just failed to make it at the very top level, like Patterson. It''s not the club job to run an expensive youth club.

[/quote]

Lewis £400000 ? No money !

You only name Shackell - probably because he is the most obvious player in the team to name.Personaly I find it strange that people think that it has something to do with the new Accadamy which basicaly was an improvement on the fascilities we had before.If you look at the last say ten years you see that we had players like Green, Russell, Bellamy etc. Sure recently perhaps some of this guys have found things hard but there is two things to look at.Should we have been loaning them out?And - Is playing them in a team lacking confidence/form going to progress them either?For me Chris Martin could be a really good player. Unfortunately his attitude at the moment seems to be the biggest problem. I quite like Spillane as well. And then there is Joe Lewis, and no matter what people say £400k is a good value when you consider that is what Championship goalkeepers go for! If he does go I would wish him the best of luck, he could be bouncing back up these leagues very quickly.Having said that it would also suggest that Roeder believes that Gilks is a good player and Arnold is good enough too. Not to mention any of the other fantastic young goalkeepers we have.At the moment we have four ex youth team canaries in our first team and that can only encourage the others to aspire to them. Cureton, Dublin, Russell, Shackell.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

fourfourtwo magazine reported that 90% of young players taken on by football clubs at age 10 will never play professionally... stats like that seem to make acadamy''s look like "loss making" businesses.. however, unearth the next Wayne Rooney and that figure for all those kids released seems miniscule.

[/quote]Completely agree, also its the duty as a big club, and plus everyone wants to see a home grown kid.Newcastle had theirs got rid of by Kevin Keegan, so he could buy someone, I mean is that worth it??  a 3mill transfer fee, then the wages of about 1.5mill a year, or an academy, with the hope of a craig bellamy??Some of our good first team players have come from the Academy: Marshall, Green, Shacks (whatever said about him he is a first teamer), Cureton, Russell.  We have to keep it.

What a daft Idea . I strongly believe in our Academy that''s why I try and do what I can to help with the Free Bet Thread . Just to unearth a Bellamy every decade or so .Have you ever thought about becoming a European member of Parliament ? The future of our great Club is in our youth as indeed is our country .I do hope you can understand this Buddy Boy but that''s how it works .arrdee.

are you lot serious....

academies have kept several clubs like crewe stay alive, even likes of shrewsbury make 1m of players like hart. also yes norwich academy players may not make it, but there career doesnt end here, many players end up playing league 1 or 2 football. like wolves have loads ex players at likes of cheltneham.

i obvisouly know wolves academy more than yours but in last 10yrs we had keane 6.5m lescott 5m naylor 1.5m sold

we have matt murray and hennessey both valued 4m each if fit.

that means 20m if we sold 5academy players in 10yrs

doesnt seem bad to me

If you get rid of the academy, you condemn the club to a squad of middle-aged journeymen and unproven youngsters from other clubs... i.e. where we are now, but every single season.  No thanks.

[quote user="diabolicalmastermind"]Surely the answer is that we improve the system to find the talent that is out there. Granted we have the travelling distance problem but you still gota try unearth any talent[/quote]

indeed, ipswich seem to have pretty good system and produce product after product. why not norwich you are at least on par if not bigger club and you have better conditions

if ipswich able to do it, then norwich should be able to

[quote user="we8wba"]

[quote user="diabolicalmastermind"]Surely the answer is that we improve the system to find the talent that is out there. Granted we have the travelling distance problem but you still gota try unearth any talent[/quote]

indeed, ipswich seem to have pretty good system and produce product after product. why not norwich you are at least on par if not bigger club and you have better conditions

if ipswich able to do it, then norwich should be able to

[/quote]

I''m not too sure on what the rules are, but isn''t it 50 miles or something? If that is the case Ipswich have a bigger catchment area with the outer London suburbs etc. No excuse thou for us, we lost interest in the academy a few years ago and a club like ours, needs to have one, so we can produce one player who we can sell on for a decent fee. We have to face it, we are a selling club, always have been and always will be, look when we were in the top 3 in the ninetys, we still sold our best players. Sorry gone off the mark slightly.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we were producing a lot of talent before the "mgaical" academies came along.

good point, not sure on 50mile rule heard of it before but my team have hell lot irish players in academy which makes me think.

i know 50mile if is rule bad in way for team such as norwich, but hey you havnt got that many team compete in your area if thats the case i dont think. so works both ways really.

since about 1993:

Darren Eadie, Adi Akinbyi, Jamie Cureton, Danny Mills, Andy Johnson, Andy Marshall, Keith o''Neill, Lee Marshall (he played in youth team!), Darren Kenton, Rob Green, Chris Llewylln ( Villa were going to bid 4 mill for him!),  Darel Russell, Craig |Bellamy, Jason Shackell, Chris Martin, Micky Spillane, Joe Lewis,

If we had that team playing now (injury retirements considered, all still at playing age) we would have a half decent team!

yes, we`ve had a lean period recently but the academy/youth team has kept this club alive, there a some very good kids about to break though soon but the academy as more then justified its existance, and besides part of its funding is from FONCY, and if there wasnt a youth team there wouldnt be that money.

and besides the cost of the academy is proberley less then peter thornes wages when he was here!

lets look at Ipswich.. yes ok they are slightly closer to London and means they can get youngsters from the suburbs of north London.. but how many of their youngsters come from Suffolk, are Ipswich boys? they consistently produce good quality youngsters.. year after year... they have the set up and the coaching...

so does Norfolk have no talented young lads???? does Norwich not Produce footballers? or do the club simply not give a hoot?

[quote user="we8wba"]

good point, not sure on 50mile rule heard of it before but my team have hell lot irish players in academy which makes me think.

i know 50mile if is rule bad in way for team such as norwich, but hey you havnt got that many team compete in your area if thats the case i dont think. so works both ways really.

[/quote]

iirc the mileage rule only applies to the training facillities,not the club itself,which makes the closure of the hertfordshire centre of excellence all the more disheartening.I think remote clubs are hit with a double whammy though.A smaller geographical location to draw from and the very real possibillity that the famillies of talented young prospective players relocating to more reknown footballing areas in particular the (se,nw and midlands) after all the phenomena of house prices in good schooling areas being pushed up by famillies relocating, it doesnt seem much of a push of the imagination to see the same occuring with football clubs.